Do you Buy or sell Jemele Hill's rant of N-word usage in the NBA?

The "N-word" isn't always a racial slur, in fact, its used as a term of endearment and camaraderie on many occasions. It all depends on who you ask.

The term Kobe used is always used as a slur. Even though it may not be used as an anti-gay sentiment, it is used in a negative context.

Is that the way it should be? Well again, that depends on who you ask. But to say people should be fined for it during the use of an NBA game? Get the hell outta here. 

The "N-word" isn't always a racial slur, in fact, its used as a term of endearment and camaraderie on many occasions. It all depends on who you ask.

The term Kobe used is always used as a slur. Even though it may not be used as an anti-gay sentiment, it is used in a negative context.

Is that the way it should be? Well again, that depends on who you ask. But to say people should be fined for it during the use of an NBA game? Get the hell outta here. 

Well Darius Miles #%*$%** on Maurice Cheeks and called him a N word multiple times and he was fined heavily.....then the Blazers refunded his money...

Well Darius Miles #%*$%** on Maurice Cheeks and called him a N word multiple times and he was fined heavily.....then the Blazers refunded his money...

Originally Posted by atlballa15

I agree that it is odd NBA players use the n-word without any repercussions. But the NBA isn't an alternate universe. NBA basketball takes place within a society that uses the N-word casually, like any other slang term. Whereas the N word is most frequently used as a term of endearment, the f word is always used in a derogatory manner. I agree that the distinction drawn between usage of the n-word and the f word is unfair and illogical, but it is a direct reflection of the society we live in.
ohwell.gif

I agree that it is odd NBA players use the n-word without any repercussions. But the NBA isn't an alternate universe. NBA basketball takes place within a society that uses the N-word casually, like any other slang term. Whereas the N word is most frequently used as a term of endearment, the f word is always used in a derogatory manner. I agree that the distinction drawn between usage of the n-word and the f word is unfair and illogical, but it is a direct reflection of the society we live in.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I agree...but you could also maintain the stance that N-word usage is a black issue and I don't know how it would look for David Stern to be making that decision for them. Just playing devil's advocate though

David Stern isn't a homosexual, though. That's flawed logic. He's the commissioner of the league you can't just stick up for the homosexual community but not the degradation of the black community.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I agree...but you could also maintain the stance that N-word usage is a black issue and I don't know how it would look for David Stern to be making that decision for them. Just playing devil's advocate though

David Stern isn't a homosexual, though. That's flawed logic. He's the commissioner of the league you can't just stick up for the homosexual community but not the degradation of the black community.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

ohwell.gif
The reaction would have been completely different, words don't mean anything without context.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

ohwell.gif
The reaction would have been completely different, words don't mean anything without context.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

so If Kobe came out and said dont worry yall Im secretly Gay, so its okay that I use the "F" word, that would be fine?

ya right.

so that means since kobe is black he can go drop the N bomb left and right for his interview tonight and it be ok?

and if he was gay and they caught him calling the ref the "F" word sterin wouldnt have fined him and it wouldn't be the lead story on ESPN? and gay rights people would have left him alone?

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

so If Kobe came out and said dont worry yall Im secretly Gay, so its okay that I use the "F" word, that would be fine?

ya right.

so that means since kobe is black he can go drop the N bomb left and right for his interview tonight and it be ok?

and if he was gay and they caught him calling the ref the "F" word sterin wouldnt have fined him and it wouldn't be the lead story on ESPN? and gay rights people would have left him alone?

One of the 1st times I've agreed with her. 

But I think players should be able to say whatever they want as long as it isn't loud and directly into the camera.  Kobe shouldn't have be fined.

One of the 1st times I've agreed with her. 

But I think players should be able to say whatever they want as long as it isn't loud and directly into the camera.  Kobe shouldn't have be fined.

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

while i see the point, i don't think gay people walk up to each other and be like "what up %#+"

and?

not all black people do that. the wrong actions of a few dont make it okay for everyone. thats some of the silliest logic

thats like when white people say the N word and then respond, "well u guys say it, I should be able to."  why do you want to say it so bad? why? 

BTW I have heard  gay ppl call themselves derogatory names, still  doesnt give me or anyone else  the right to do it. 
yea, do what you want and alienate a percentage of your fans. thats smart.

who do you think the dress code was for ?  it was to help sell their business. you can say and do what you want, anywhere in America, but if you run a business, you have a fan base and Sponsors to consider. Lets see how far the NBA would get without Sprite, Kia or Reebok or Spaulding attached to theur brand. Nowhere.

I dont even understand how intelligent people cant comprehend this.  

on a sidenote, I have definitely made an effort to not use the N word ever again .   not on twitter, not amongst friends not anywhere.

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

while i see the point, i don't think gay people walk up to each other and be like "what up %#+"

and?

not all black people do that. the wrong actions of a few dont make it okay for everyone. thats some of the silliest logic

thats like when white people say the N word and then respond, "well u guys say it, I should be able to."  why do you want to say it so bad? why? 

BTW I have heard  gay ppl call themselves derogatory names, still  doesnt give me or anyone else  the right to do it. 
yea, do what you want and alienate a percentage of your fans. thats smart.

who do you think the dress code was for ?  it was to help sell their business. you can say and do what you want, anywhere in America, but if you run a business, you have a fan base and Sponsors to consider. Lets see how far the NBA would get without Sprite, Kia or Reebok or Spaulding attached to theur brand. Nowhere.

I dont even understand how intelligent people cant comprehend this.  

on a sidenote, I have definitely made an effort to not use the N word ever again .   not on twitter, not amongst friends not anywhere.

I don't see why more black coaches and veterans allow this to go on. Honestly, this issue should have been self policed by the black players and coaches, but since it's this much of an issue I wouldn't have a problem with Stern addressing it.

I'm not calling on Stern to address it, but saying that it's gotten to a point where you couldn't be mad at him for doing so.

Back
Top Bottom