Do Native Americans Find The Chicago Blackhawks Log Offensive?

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

^Yeah true .

I never heard them complain about the Blackhawks logo .

Maybe they have though .

Ummm...

There have been extensive lobbying efforts and rallies put together by Native Americans to abolish this and all depictions of them...

Esp for college teams...

look it up...

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

the Chicago Blackhawks are an Original Six NHL team... they've been around since the 1920's

No way should they EVER change their logo... IMO, its the best logo in sports
Nothing you said constitutes to a pertinent argument as to why the logo is not offensive...

The logo is offensive, no matter how long the team has been around....
okay but the logo isn't silly at all like the Indians' logo... There is no goofy smile or anything... It's only an Indian head.

the Chicago Blackhawks are an Original Six NHL team... they've been around since the 1920's

Nothing you said constitutes to a pertinent argument as to why the logo is not offensive...

okay but the logo isn't silly at all like the Indians' logo... There is no goofy smile or anything... It's only an Indian head.
but who are you to deem what is offensive and what is not to certain group of people

I just love it when white people or people who are not of my race try to tell ME what I should and should not be offended by

Its a stereotypical depiction of Native Americans that further pigeonholes them in society as the very depictions the media and sports visualizes them as.

Keep in mind these depictions are rarely accurate...

Its offensive...

As I said, nothing you have said constitutes to a pertinent argument as to why the logo is not offensive.

www.bluecorncomics.com/mascots.htm

Do some research before blindly attempting to justify a less than noble cause...

+Notre Dame and SDSU Aztecs
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by the north west

but who are you to deem what is offensive and what is not to certain group of people

I just love it when white people or people who are not of my race try to tell ME what I should and should not be offended by

Get this guy a tampon.

I don't see the Blackhawks logo as offensive. I think it presents that particular group in sort of an honorable light. The Cleveland Indians logo is acartoon though. There's nothing flattering about that. On some Aunt Jemima stuff.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

I don't see the Blackhawks logo as offensive. I think it presents that particular group in sort of an honorable light. The Cleveland Indians logo is a cartoon though. There's nothing flattering about that. On some Aunt Jemima stuff.

How is the Blackhawks logo not a cartoon?

Whats noble about it?

Some feathers?

An expression of indifference?

You're amused easily I see...

The lengths some of you go to justify this stuff,
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CrunkJuicedUp

i love this pic in a funny way and in an SMH way

cleveland_indians.gif

btw this is nychiphophippo. yes it was necessary for me to say it even though nobody knows me. too lazy to log out of my friends account
laugh.gif

I don't see the Blackhawks logo as offensive. I think it presents that particular group in sort of an honorable light. The Cleveland Indians logo is a cartoon though. There's nothing flattering about that. On some Aunt Jemima stuff.

Whats noble about it?

Some feathers?

laugh.gif

The blackhawks logo has realistic face proportions, with no stereotypical racist embellishments. Whereas the Cleveland mascot has red skin, bug eyes and anexaggerated smile. As a Mexican, if the blackhawks logo had mayan paint and a historically accurate headdress i wouldn't find it to myself.

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

Whats noble about it?

Some feathers?

laugh.gif

The blackhawks logo has realistic face proportions, with no stereotypical racist embellishments. Whereas the Cleveland mascot has red skin, bug eyes and an exaggerated smile. As a Mexican, if the blackhawks logo had mayan paint and a historically accurate headdress i wouldn't find it to myself.

laugh.gif
I stopped reading there...

Next?

Whats noble about it?

Some feathers?

laugh.gif
Relax Tonto. I didn't say anything about being amused. There's a big difference between a caricature that aims to exaggerate certainracial features or decorative wear and one which attempts to present an image in a manner that isn't offensive. The Blackhawks logo belongs to the latter.

You tell me what's offensive about that image? The feathers? The face paint? The fact that an image of a Native American is being used in the first place?The facial features certainly aren't exaggerated in any racist manner or meant to lampoon. Let's tear down all the statues dedicated to NativeAmericans because they're probably just as offensive according to those standards.

I def see the problem with the Indians and ******* but not the Blackhawks

Is the Notre Dame's leprechaun offensive to the Irish?

Whats noble about it?

Some feathers?

laugh.gif
Relax Tonto. I didn't say anything about being amused. There's a big difference between a caricature that aims to exaggerate certain racial features or decorative wear and one which attempts to present an image in a manner that isn't offensive. The Blackhawks logo belongs to the latter.

You tell me what's offensive about that image? The feathers? The face paint? The fact that an image of a Native American is being used in the first place? The facial features certainly aren't exaggerated in any racist manner or meant to lampoon. Let's tear down all the statues dedicated to Native Americans because they're probably just as offensive according to those standards.

Its funny how society ignores history when discussing these topics.

Take into account what this country has taken away from them...

Then we make an attempt to "pay homage" by adopting these depictions into popular and sports culture. Ignoring the obvious injustices that NativeAmericans have been (and to an extent still are) subject to.

Yeah lets forget about what we've taken away from them...

& Instead lets get this image of these stoic figures....

Lets ignore the poverty and degradation that these people have to deal with.

& Lets make some money from these depictions of these people while we're at it.

One thing to provide history. Another thing to take away the culture these people once had and then profit from its remnants...

Ain't no one talking about history though dude. No one's denying the history that Native Americans have been dealt with in this country. People aretalking about the image alone. As is. It's not conveying a sense of racial mistreatment or lampooning.

^ if they feel it is who are you to tell them different? and i would think history plays a big part...

Whats noble about it?

Some feathers?

laugh.gif
Relax Tonto. I didn't say anything about being amused. There's a big difference between a caricature that aims to exaggerate certain racial features or decorative wear and one which attempts to present an image in a manner that isn't offensive. The Blackhawks logo belongs to the latter.

You tell me what's offensive about that image? The feathers? The face paint? The fact that an image of a Native American is being used in the first place? The facial features certainly aren't exaggerated in any racist manner or meant to lampoon. Let's tear down all the statues dedicated to Native Americans because they're probably just as offensive according to those standards.

Its funny how society ignores history when discussing these topics.

Take into account what this country has taken away from them...

Then we make an attempt to "pay homage" by adopting these depictions into popular and sports culture. Ignoring the obvious injustices that Native Americans have been (and to an extent still are) subject to.

Yeah lets forget about what we've taken away from them...

& Instead lets get this image of these stoic figures....

Lets ignore the poverty and degradation that these people have to deal with.

& Lets make some money from these depictions of these people while we're at it.

One thing to provide history. Another thing to take away the culture these people once had and then profit from its remnants...

i agree with my man right here 100 percent..it always amazes me how white ppl (no offense) like to forget about the horrible things that have happened in thiscountry. Genocide was commited on these ppl..its sickening how ppl on this board can be so naive and just ignorant. pick up a history book, learn something...

Ain't no one talking about history though dude. No one's denying the history that Native Americans have been dealt with in this country. People are talking about the image alone. As is. It's not conveying a sense of racial mistreatment or lampooning.
Its profiting from a culture that has been ravaged...

The image pertains to a culture that once was...

No longer...

This society continues to profit from the very culture that has been exploited since day 1...

Justification....

All you're trying to do, you're not going to convince me otherwise. You can't talk about an IMAGE alone and not think of what it REPRESENTS....

ANY IMAGE...

[h1]Chicago Blackhawks respect what insignia represents[/h1]
So because someone paid a group of marketers to find a slant to feed the public you go ahead and....

Feed into it?

Interesting....
laugh.gif

Media relations director huh????

Lmaooooo Its these peoples jobs to to JUSTIFY
laugh.gif

Don't drop a jersey, its offensive....
roll.gif

Can't just admit that the image is offensive? It conjures up an inaccurate depiction of contemporary Natives? It pigeonholes them into society's psycheto be something that they no longer have the means to be?

That culture they had NO LONGER EXISTS....

People PROFIT OFF THE REMNANTS...

These people are not the stoic depictions that society tries to paint them out to be, they ONCE were....

Until Europeans arrived...

But I'm sure you know that whole bit right? Since you're so well versed in Native American history, imagery in pop culture, continued degradation andmystification of the injustices in their history...

These people live in poverty. Have you ever been on a genuine reservation? Have you seen what this country has done to these people?

I have....

That doesn't bother you in the least bit right? As long as people don't walk on the big "Indian" head s'all good right?

S.M.F.H.....

^That seems likes its more about respect for the team's logo which just happens to be a NA than the actual NA themselves. Plus it looks like its a hockeything and not a "we really respect NA and their culture" thing.

Back
Top Bottom