DLP HD TV vs. LCD HD TV

What are the major differences between a DLP and an LCD? My viewing distance will be 15-20 feet for movies/sports and aboiut 10 feet for video games. Size ofthe TV isn't too big of an issue, I just want a nice and big TV.

Is there any good deals out there right now?

I've never been impressed with the PQ on projectors. I've seen them at a bunch of sports bars but they only look good in complete darkness.

Originally Posted by DG Kyrk 33

I've never been impressed with the PQ on projectors. I've seen them at a bunch of sports bars but they only look good in complete darkness.

Yeah, but sports bar projectors are about $600 walmart finds, at least the ones I've looked at. Picture quality on a $1500 projector of today is going tobe very close to TVs, and I actually like projectors more. You do need complete darkness, though. If you can't cover up all the windows, turn off all thelights, etc, don't bother.

Also, projector bulbs go bad after 2-3000 hours and the life is shorter if you do the 15-minute "hey, is anything on?" checks. That's whyprojectors are normally for home theater use. As for the pros, it's the cheapest way to get a massive screen size.80" isn't much for a projector.

the main thing to remember "you get what you pay for". i got a 100" screen in my room and the projector is only 1080i . i am quite happy withthe setup at the moment HD looks great and so do dvds with the upconversion. With tthe money you are wanting to spend i would go with a samsung ( if you have abright room) or a sharp (if your room is dark). With the money you are looking to spend i personally dont think you would be happy with a projector. A goodscreen will run you 2000+ alone and add a good projector for another 2000+ and yoiu can do the math. If you have anymore questions hit me up. Oh and the tvs iwatch everyday stuff on are 42" elites.

Originally Posted by 22 Deuces 22

^ Let's say I want an 80'' screen with the projector. How much will that run me?
Are you able to paint the walls where you live? You can save a lot of money on the screen if you can do a DIY treatment to the walls that worksjust as good as a screen. If not, DaLite makes good screens.I can't help you a lot with the projector (already bought mine and needed to stay away from temptation), but check out AVS Forum.

And check a local HT store. They usually have a range of projectors to demo and I don't think you need a $4k setup to enjoy a movie.

lol , thought so. i got a stewart screen so it was spendy. when you shopping go look at screens and see the difference a good one makes compared to entrylevel. You could always get a good projector and paint the wall with the special paint, but that kit goes for 400 canadian here. Unless you got a roomspecificaly for the set up you would be better off getting a plasma (my opinion) or a lcd (personally cant watch).

Personal preference, mostly. Some people complain about the screen door effect or insufficient blacks, but it doesn't bother me much. It's not muchdifferent than me seeing the DLP rainbows. I know it's "old technology," but high-quality CRTs are still my favorite.

No matter what you get, make sure you step up the audio game as well. I hate when I go to see someone's new 60" TV and have to listen to the dinkyspeakers attached to the TV.

whenever i watch lcd i can see a blur with fast motion, they dont refresh as quick as a plasma. so if you watch sports like many do you are better off with aplasma. i know right now you can get some good deals on panasonic plasmas and they are pretty good. before you buy go check out cnet.com and do your researchcause i can only givve you my opinion on what i like and why , and when it comes down to it yoiu have to be happy with what you got.

I wouldn't go for a projector if you're on a budget. projectors are way better than lcd/plasma but only when done right, and that goes for the screentoo.

there's an opinion by some "experts" that over 40-50" you go plasma over LCD and I would somewhat agree with it although not all LCDs arebad at those sizes. I'm a personal fan of DLPs but they probably are as expensive initial and maintenance wise as regular projection tvs but for my moneythey look a bit better.

what viewing distance will you be at?

forget projectors (unless you really got cash like that) and LCDs. best HDTV bar none is the pioneer kuro. yes yes, it's a plasma but unless you leave iton for 12+ hours w/ a still image you won't get burn in. the contrast and blacks on this thing are INSANE! bluray+kruo+7.1 surround = home entertainmentheaven

blah!

Viewing distance is going to be about 10 feet for video games and 15-20 feet for TV/Movies.

Is there any sick deal out there right now? Like just any filthy deal on a clean tv that's 50+ inches?

I don't recommend buying a TV online because when you shop online, you can't check out the picture quality for yourself. At least when you go to astore, you can do that.

^ what do you mean?? it says 1080p
and anyway you are on the right path. that Tv you are looking at is one of the cheapest for its screen size and quality.
Go with that one you are looking at, the only downfall is you can't mount it, but not everyone likes that

Just because it's 1080p doesn't mean the picture quality will be great.
For example, the Samsungs on Black Friday were 1080p and the picture quality on those were average, at best.

i have a toshiba regza 32" 1080p LCD at school

and my dad's toshiba 62" 1080p DLP kicks the LCDs !+#.

although i'd prefer to go plasma, if anything.

ps:
it's not a ceiling mounted projector-- i don't know why that was being discussed.
it looks like this
414XA7MZP2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Just because it's 1080p doesn't mean the picture quality will be great.
For example, the Samsungs on Black Friday were 1080p and the picture quality on those were average, at best.
agreed. i've seen pioneer 720p plasma sets that KILL 1080p LCDs

Back
Top Bottom