[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

UnDS a pair of dunk SB this week hat have been sitting for 12 ish years. smh.

My goal is to wear some of my DS shoes. Weather doesn't help in Canada when most of the year is snow/wet.

I'm wearing everything immediately. Rotating the entire collection. I'll probably try to the All-Star XIs in December. After that the only sneakers I'll ever buy again are Heineken SBs, Nike Air Ups and Playoff VIIs. Heineys and Air Ups may never release again.

I've been collecting since early 2000s then sold everything around 2011 (some new, a lot used). Then after a few years hiatus I slowly started to buy back stuff when the Black Cement IIIs came back in 2018. Now I feel like I've got too much and I need to wear everything until they are unwearable. Most of what I buy isn't what are considered the "hottest" sneakers by the general population. For example I'm buying Vans X Simpsons collabs and lots of early-mid 90s stuff that are sitting or deeply discounted. Still I feel like I have too much.

The goal is to wear everything before they dry rot. I'm at around 40 pairs.

It only takes 5 minutes but I absolutely hate taking the pictures and listing on eBay. Love dropping them off at FedEx tho. I’d pop out at the next community yardsale but I don’t wanna spread this poison to these kids.

Update on my sit'n. Since I started offloading unneeded sneakers in 2023, I've now gotten rid of 34 sneakers, and down to 43. Honestly don't see myself getting below that as I deem the rest of the collection "essential" to keep my content. I did offload my '18 BC3s and will repurchase the new ones when they launch. I also still have 6 listings on eBay that are slow to move.

Anyway, feeling pretty good about everything, and hopefully can keep below 50 indefinitely. That still seems absurd to have that many sneakers, and even more bewildering that when I look at the remaining collection I don't feel like that's a lot.....I suppose that's the sneakerhead's dilemma!

Just shipped about 12 to 15 pairs to my cousin to do what he wants with them.

Hope he enjoys them. He’s 25/26 so they’re more his speed. I’m about to be a dad and I’m in full swing of casual sneakers that I can rock with just about anything. The mid-to-high top sneakers just don’t work for me anymore. Feels good to just clear the space.

Facebook Marketplace has been better for me than E-Bay to sell on.

I've been wanting to do this but I just worry about how to do deals safely. Can you talk about how you did your sales and how they went? Like how you did the listings, screened the offers, and ultimately sold the product and got payment?

I've been wanting to do this but I just worry about how to do deals safely. Can you talk about how you did your sales and how they went? Like how you did the listings, screened the offers, and ultimately sold the product and got payment?

Listings are pretty basic. You just take a few screen shots (5 max, I think) and give a few details. After that you just hit publish.

Do meet ups in public places only. I do the food court at the local mall. If they're serious, they'll agree to it. I've done cash payments. I let them look over the shoes in public before they decide to go through with it. That way they can't say they were tricked by selective screen shots.

Just pick any place you feel is safe to meet up. They SHOULD want the same thing. If not, that's a little suspect.

You can set up shipping on the Facebook Marketplace. I haven't used it yet, so I can't speak to it.

I haven't sold shoes in marketplace yet, but for other items I do the following.
1) Day time only
2) public busy space - usually choose a cofee shop, but you may opt for police station if you wish. I would try to choose a spot where there is a security camera.
(this would usually depend on the price of the item $15 video game vs high priced item)
One time I did a cell phone transaction and brought a friend. Other dude rolled in with 3 others dudes lol. It was inside a busy space, so it wasn't so bad.
3) I always choose location and have them come to me. I don't waste my time travelling for potential flakers. If they really want it, they will come to the location. By choosing the location, you know what type of spot you are comfortable in and you'd probably choose something you are familiar with.
-One time a guy tried to low ball me during the meet up after we agreed on the price already (he drove 40 minutes). Told him to go find a bank and message me when he has the money (I was 2 mins away from home).

Good to see this thread still alive and well. Proud to say I haven’t bought any shoes this year. Missed out on a bunch of pairs I wanted recently (Linens, Rosewaters, etc) and I was not fazed at all. Collection is at a dozen pairs and half of them are almost ready to be chucked because I’ve worn them to the ground. Learning to be content with what I’ve got- an important life lesson that I need to apply to every area of my life, not just my sneaker obsession.

I haven't sold shoes in marketplace yet, but for other items I do the following.
1) Day time only
2) public busy space - usually choose a cofee shop, but you may opt for police station if you wish. I would try to choose a spot where there is a security camera.
(this would usually depend on the price of the item $15 video game vs high priced item)
One time I did a cell phone transaction and brought a friend. Other dude rolled in with 3 others dudes lol. It was inside a busy space, so it wasn't so bad.
3) I always choose location and have them come to me. I don't waste my time travelling for potential flakers. If they really want it, they will come to the location. By choosing the location, you know what type of spot you are comfortable in and you'd probably choose something you are familiar with.
-One time a guy tried to low ball me during the meet up after we agreed on the price already (he drove 40 minutes). Told him to go find a bank and message me when he has the money (I was 2 mins away from home).
Sound advice. I’ve done a fair amount of meetups for selling shoes and other random 💩.
Recently I met up with someone at the mall to sell something high priced (1.5K) off a FB marketplace listing. Checked his profile, no red flags. He said the most he could get from the atm was $1K and he could cash app me the rest.
Long story short it all worked out fine. The only weird thing was his 1K in cash was all brand new $50s. Like never circulated it seemed. I was a bit skeptical. I searched up how to tell fake $50s on the spot 😂. They were fine but just so new like brand new paper. I’ve deposited most of it and spent some of it and definitely was holding my breath a little haha

Always peep a person's Facebook page to get an idea of the who you're selling to. If they're flashing gang signs and waving guns around in their pics, you might want to reconsider :lol:

The thing with Jordans is, once you find a few good buyers you trust, you can sell to them over and over. You don't need hundreds of people to sell to. They'll keep coming back when they get paid for more. I've sold most of my stuff to the same two or three people.

Back
Top Bottom