DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

wait. 

i dont think this was covered...

how was Simon Gruber as Alfred?
  Some have said that the chemistry between Jeremy Irons and Ben Affleck is pretty spot on...almost like Batman: TAS spot on...

Take that with a grain of salt.
If ANYTHING is on par with TAS, I'm going to be giddy. Some of the best Batman material in that series. Holds up, too.
samesies.

in opinion TAS was by far my favorite batman 
laugh.gif
 (arkham knight video game batman as well but its the same voice actor)

i thought Bale was arguably the best Bruce Wayne but i couldnt stand him as Batman, esp toward the end of the trilogy.

Keaton was OG obv but i feel like it was hard to take him seriously as Batman.

prob get flamed but for me it wouldnt take that much for Affleck to get up there with Keaton.

i just wish there was a Batman movie where whoever played him i was like "that guy was the best batman easily hands down" especially when i dont feel that way about any of the rest as it is, i just dont get why they cant nail a batman like they got say Tony Stark and pretty much all the Avengers.

Last edited:
I've heard a few times that Affleck is hands down the best Batman yet.

Really, all I really was worried about is how they go about telling Batmans story. Superman a story is always going to be a tough story to tell so I'm not surprised critics aren't in love with BvS.

So ppl should just expect Batman and Superman movies to be complete **** and if it's not the worst we should be happy.

Okay.

I can get lowering expectations but damn
laugh.gif
I think if people pay attention to what they're paying for and know what they're getting themselves into, they don't have the right to complain when they get exactly what they were sold.

I don't buy that Superman is a hard story to tell. He's just outdated and unrelatable right now. But that's fixable. That's a writer thing. Not a Superman thing.

Also might be an actor thing. Lol, but it's no secret I'm not a fan of Cavil right now.

Last edited:
:rofl: @ taking Supes out of the thread title.

So ppl should just expect Batman and Superman movies to be complete **** and if it's not the worst we should be happy.

Okay.

I can get lowering expectations but damn :lol:

I think if people pay attention to what they're paying for and know what they're getting themselves into, they don't have the right to complain when they get exactly what they were sold.
You know from reading spoilers don't think I can disagree. Sticking to my plans.

Speaking of the spoilers and what ppl were complaining about with the trailers it does seem they showed too much and Snyder lied about their being more stuff to the movie. Outside of not knowing a few details we see the meat and potatoes of the movie in the trailers.

Last edited:
I don't buy that Superman is a hard story to tell. He's just outdated and unrelatable right now. But that's fixable. That's a writer thing. Not a Superman thing.

Also might be an actor thing. Lol, but it's no secret I'm not a fan of Cavil right now.
I know you hate MoS, but I happen to like it...but do i think it could have been better? Absolutely. My main problem with MoS was not the story that was told, but how the story was told. I don't think it's hard story to tell, or that he's outdated and un-relateable. I honestly think if they had pieced that storyline together better it would have made a world of difference. But your absolutely right, it's a writer thing, and if a story isn't written good then the director can't hide a bad storyline and no good actor can salvage that (in most cases).

Yes and no a bit. I don't think it's a relatability thing really. I don't know when Supes was ever relatable. He's an aspiration figure, wish fulfillment. It is a writer thing though and the problem is they want to have these really grounded realistic stories at least tone wise and Supes is too overpowered to make that mesh without constantly making him fight compelling villains on his level. They just put that to the side in MOS and tried to add depth to his story so ppl would relate. Didn't really work.

On top of that his supporting cast is weak and the profession is a bit outdated unless you're gonna really focus on Clark Kent journalist.

There's a lot of tinkering involved with his story to get a great movie made.

In defense of Cavil, he was never this stiff in The Tudors. He played a fun character that had depth.

I never saw Superman as unrelatable. As a person who works as a journalist, I relate heavily with Clark lol

What I DON'T relate to in MoS is how Clark, with no apparent college education or relevant experience, who spent 10 years wandering the earth and bartending, just walked into the biggest newspaper in the verse and got a staff job :x

Last edited:
Yeah there were some serious plot holes in MoS but I still enjoyed it. As I gotten older I've stopped caring too much about how these movies stick to the script. I just realized, it's just not going to happen.

I never saw Superman as unrelatable. As a person who works as a journalist, I relate heavily with Clark lol

What I DON'T relate to in MoS is how Clark, with no apparent college education or relevant experience, who spent 10 years wandering the earth and bartending, just walked into the biggest newspaper in the verse and got a staff job :x

That's a super good point

What I DON'T relate to in MoS is how Clark, with no apparent college education or relevant experience, who spent 10 years wandering the earth and bartending, just walked into the biggest newspaper in the verse and got a staff job
sick.gif
Cause he's smashing Lois, not that hard to understand, b. 

That's a super good point
Well that's what I'm kinda saying. I'm sure there's some comic arcs where they focus on Clark being a journalist but that is glossed over like crazy most of the time.

More times than not Clark's job is an excuse for why Supes is in certain places. At best it comes off like a reason to give Clark a day job to make sense of why he isn't Supes all of the time. I never really came across stuff showing Clark as the dedicated journalist pursuing a story, chasing down leads (the way we see it by Ben or Karen in DD or even Lois when she's doing her job). I recall a reviewer saying Cavil's Clark is more like George Reeves' Clark; not that important or different.

Always makes me think of a JL or Superman cartoon ep where Lex reasoned that Superman has no secret identity cuz he's Superman. He came to the conclusion a person of his power would not waste the time to pretend to be a normal human because it is beneath him :lol:

Last edited:
Superman Birthright established young Clark as a freelance writer who traveled the world for years and submitted articles, making a name for himself as a journalist. His experience in Africa is what made him become "Superman" IIRC but it's been a while sinceI read that

Grant Morrison in the New 52 did an awesome job of establishing young Clark as a writer who exposed criminal activity in Metropolis for a rival paper and moonlighting as scumbag t-shirt Superman before getting a job at the Daily Planet and becoming the "Real" Superman

Last edited:

Cause he's smashing Lois, not that hard to understand, b. 

Haven't seen the movie in a minute but I'm pretty sure Lois was surprised to see him working at the Planet.

Oh no, I'm sure there are plenty of comic book depictions that make Superman relatable and maybe put increased emphasis on his life as a journalist. That's why in my initial post I was saying it's a writer thing and not a Superman thing.

The MoS writers simply did not do a good enough job, to me, to make him relatable. And also Cavil's acting didn't help to me.

Superman Birthright established young Clark as a freelance writer who traveled the world for years and submitted articles, making a name for himself as a journalist. His experience in Africa is what made him become "Superman" IIRC but it's been a while sinceI read that

Grant Morrison in the New 52 did an awesome job of establishing young Clark as a writer who exposed criminal activity in Metropolis for a rival paper and moonlighting as scumbag t-shirt Superman before getting a job at the Daily Planet and becoming the "Real" Superman
I'm not a fan of Grant Morrison to be honest and it's been a while since I read Birthright. That's probably falling in to the few stories I recall focusing on Clark's job and him actually being good at it.

Back
Top Bottom