David Stern rips the NCAA

Originally Posted by Essential1

This guy...

Why would I stay 4 years, when they don't pay me? And I'm good enough to get drafted first round lottery pick, which is a few million dollars easy...

They made the 1 and done... Not the NCAA. What are they going to do tell a young kid to risk millions by staying for 4 years and get injured? If I'm good enough to get picked, I can put money aside after college to go back when I'm done with the NBA...

Trying to take blame away from himself
NBA Is riddled with BLACK men who are headed to nowhere pretty quick before their 35th birthday, a degree shouldnt be looked upon with disdain...the same way you need an MBA to work for Goldman Sachs, I cannot see why there is not a requirement for a league which holds maximum 350 players. There has to be some type of qualifications for an elite group of athletes.

Originally Posted by gambit215

This guy...

Why would I stay 4 years, when they don't pay me? And I'm good enough to get drafted first round lottery pick, which is a few million dollars easy...

They made the 1 and done... Not the NCAA. What are they going to do tell a young kid to risk millions by staying for 4 years and get injured? If I'm good enough to get picked, I can put money aside after college to go back when I'm done with the NBA...

NBA Is riddled with BLACK men who are headed to nowhere pretty quick before their 35th birthday, a degree shouldnt be looked upon with disdain...the same way you need an MBA to work for Goldman Sachs, I cannot see why there is not a requirement for a league which holds maximum 350 players. There has to be some type of qualifications for an elite group of athletes.

The qualification is that you are at least 1 yr removed and good enough, which is decided by the GMs and personnel tasked with evaluating and signing talent. Requiring them to earn a degree would just be a huge waste of time as it has no relevance to the on court product which is most important for the NBA, in fact would have a negative impact since if you are the NBA you'd rather have them from 20 til they retire than to get them around 23 and have them at least 3 less years. It's not like anybody believes they are going to class and earning grades anyways.

This guy...

There is.. Have talent... The worst NBA player could shred anyone in this thread easily. That is the qualification for an elite group of athletes.. To have talent in the sport you play.

What degree could possibly prepare a college student for the NBA?  Quantum Physics? Math Major?    An MBA for Goldman Sachs makes actual sense..  Any degree to play in the NBA doesn't

And so what most NBA players play 5-6 years..  What if that guy who makes $3mil total in his NBA career,  decided I don't want to go one and done and plays his Soph. year and blows out his knee..Can't enter the draft now. Ok plays his Jr. and his knee blows out again.. No what? Chances are he won't be in the NBA.. And if he made $3mil in the NBA, and it doesn't lead to a long career, he can go back to school if he damn well pleases..

There is no disdain to the degree..  The question is.. "WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MATTER"  Get a degree, don't get a degree..  DRose is dumb as a box of rocks.  Was one and done...  The guy will end up making close to $500 mil when his career is all said and done. ($250mil from Adidas, barring injury that cut short his career $100-150mil,  maybe even $200 mil)  Then add in any other endorsements.. He hovers around $500mil..  What difference does the degree make? 

For most people basketball is all they know. And if not for basketball they couldn't attend $40K a year schools like UNC, Duke, or Cuse. Basketball is what got them there. If they want to capitalize on what they know, so be it. That is their adapting to the world.

And the degree requirement will ruin the life of some kid who was talented enough to play a 10 year career in the NBA, but didn't because his career was done by injuries in college..

Those extra years are a HUGE financial risk..

Millions in the NBA, and having the ability to go back to school if I need to >

Greg Oden.. Made $23million in the NBA.. One and done.. You mean to tell me if he played 4 years, he wouldn't have fallen apart?  It is hypothetical, but look at how his NBA career went, and imagine if he tried 4 years in college.. Dude would have never been drafted (and if he was he'd be the Mr. Irrelevant pick), would not be a multi-millionaire, and his degree would still mean nothing..  His career is pretty much done.. But guess what he can go back to school if he wants or retire.. 

David Stern wants to !%#!* and complain about everything wrong with basketball, but never holds himself accountable. He's been the commissioner for 30 years, at some point he has to accept some blame for something.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle as usual but I largely agree with Stern.  The NCAA is the biggest joke in sports right now.

I mean, I like Caliparri and I have no problem with what he does but its a joke.  All those guys are going to leave this year and if he brings in Nerlens and Shabazz, it will be the same thing again next year.

To be frank, college sports as a whole should be abolished.  You don't see Europe make its athletes go through the charade of being students.  All those kids should be profiting from what they do instead of pretending that some kid who at best maybe reads at a 9th grade level is equipped to juggle sports and academia.

Unfortuantely, college sports, especially college football is only growing.  College Football, especially the SEC, is the tea party of athletics in this country, its a total embarrassment in my opinion.  What does it say when the top paid public official in a state is a football coach?  Aren't universities supposed to be places of academia not vessels for white/southern pride? Like if someone says "I go to LSU," 95% of peoples first reaction would be "LSU tigers are a great team."  That is not a good thing.  It's a distortion of priorities in this country.  Half the poor, depraved fools who are diehard 'Bama/Auburn etc. prolly don't even have a high school education but a football's team success justifies their "the south will rise again mentality," while they wallow in the poorest +*+++*@ states in the nation.

While Stern is certainly not the one to point it out after his performance over the past couple years, the NCAA is a joke that will be gone sooner than we know it.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

The truth lies somewhere in the middle as usual but I largely agree with Stern.  The NCAA is the biggest joke in sports right now.

I mean, I like Caliparri and I have no problem with what he does but its a joke.  All those guys are going to leave this year and if he brings in Nerlens and Shabazz, it will be the same thing again next year.

To be frank, college sports as a whole should be abolished.  You don't see Europe make its athletes go through the charade of being students.  All those kids should be profiting from what they do instead of pretending that some kid who at best maybe reads at a 9th grade level is equipped to juggle sports and academia.

Unfortuantely, college sports, especially college football is only growing.  College Football, especially the SEC, is the tea party of athletics in this country, its a total embarrassment in my opinion.  What does it say when the top paid public official in a state is a football coach?  Aren't universities supposed to be places of academia not vessels for white/southern pride? Like if someone says "I go to LSU," 95% of peoples first reaction would be "LSU tigers are a great team."  That is not a good thing.  It's a distortion of priorities in this country.  Half the poor, depraved fools who are diehard 'Bama/Auburn etc. prolly don't even have a high school education but a football's team success justifies their "the south will rise again mentality," while they wallow in the poorest +*+++*@ states in the nation.

While Stern is certainly not the one to point it out after his performance over the past couple years, the NCAA is a joke that will be gone sooner than we know it.

where the hell is NCAA gonna go homie? what other routes are avail for players? ill wait.

Apply the MLB rules to the NCAA and be done w/ it.

If you go to school you stay at least 3 years.

OR you can just go straight to the League of the NBDL.

They should've fixed this in the new CBA.

Truth is there are always going to be 18 year olds who are ready, just not very many.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

Did he forget that he is the reason for all these one and done players? When he created the rule that stopped players from coming straight out of HS all it did was create this epidemic of one and done players so what the hell is he crying for?

Exactly
laugh.gif
. How does he try to blame the NCAA when he's the one that is forcing these kids that have no interest in college to have to waste that year in school?
Nobody is forcing anyone to go to school though. You can go overseas. And if the NBA makes it two years, you'll see more players go to Europe for at least one of those two years, if not both. Stern said nothing wrong in regards to this. Basketball players have options. Just because the traditional route is college basketball, doesn't make it the only route, unlike football.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

I like the conversation.

The NBA thrives the more they know about the products they invest in. NBA GMs, Niketalk GMs, and genius minds all could not hit on most of these draft picks aside from the first pick or so. The NBA draft is a TOTAL crapshoot. Having kids leap from high school again (and many of us think kids should have that right) really does nothing to help this overall IMO. I'm not a player. I'm a paying customer. I want to see the best product filled with the least knuckleheads and the most players getting compensated the way they should be. When that happens the L is a pretty good product. I think for the most part the more kids stay in school the more they mature, the more we know about them. And the more they are ready to handle a man's game. A game that we pay top dollar for to line everyone's pockets. We all know NCAA is a joke and we all know NBA has their issues too.

Well then the NCAA shouldn't revoke their "amateur" status if they choose to go to the league. If you don't get drafted, they should be allowed to come back to school or allow them to attend school if they do not get chosen.

You think you are gonna be a first pick if you go overseas?

Jennings stock dropped overseas

Originally Posted by rashi

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

I like the conversation.

The NBA thrives the more they know about the products they invest in. NBA GMs, Niketalk GMs, and genius minds all could not hit on most of these draft picks aside from the first pick or so. The NBA draft is a TOTAL crapshoot. Having kids leap from high school again (and many of us think kids should have that right) really does nothing to help this overall IMO. I'm not a player. I'm a paying customer. I want to see the best product filled with the least knuckleheads and the most players getting compensated the way they should be. When that happens the L is a pretty good product. I think for the most part the more kids stay in school the more they mature, the more we know about them. And the more they are ready to handle a man's game. A game that we pay top dollar for to line everyone's pockets. We all know NCAA is a joke and we all know NBA has their issues too.

Well then the NCAA shouldn't revoke their "amateur" status if they choose to go to the league. If you don't get drafted, they should be allowed to come back to school or allow them to attend school if they do not get chosen.

If you go into the draft and dont hire an agent, and also dont get drafted, you can go back to school. When your eligibilty is up, you're automatically a free agent. randolp morrris did that like 3 years ago. Just a thought.

This guy...

There is.. Have talent... The worst NBA player could shred anyone in this thread easily. That is the qualification for an elite group of athletes.. To have talent in the sport you play.

What degree could possibly prepare a college student for the NBA?  Quantum Physics? Math Major?    An MBA for Goldman Sachs makes actual sense..  Any degree to play in the NBA doesn't

And so what most NBA players play 5-6 years..  What if that guy who makes $3mil total in his NBA career,  decided I don't want to go one and done and plays his Soph. year and blows out his knee..Can't enter the draft now. Ok plays his Jr. and his knee blows out again.. No what? Chances are he won't be in the NBA.. And if he made $3mil in the NBA, and it doesn't lead to a long career, he can go back to school if he damn well pleases..

There is no disdain to the degree..  The question is.. "WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MATTER"  Get a degree, don't get a degree..  DRose is dumb as a box of rocks.  Was one and done...  The guy will end up making close to $500 mil when his career is all said and done. ($250mil from Adidas, barring injury that cut short his career $100-150mil,  maybe even $200 mil)  Then add in any other endorsements.. He hovers around $500mil..  What difference does the degree make? 

For most people basketball is all they know. And if not for basketball they couldn't attend $40K a year schools like UNC, Duke, or Cuse. Basketball is what got them there. If they want to capitalize on what they know, so be it. That is their adapting to the world.

And the degree requirement will ruin the life of some kid who was talented enough to play a 10 year career in the NBA, but didn't because his career was done by injuries in college..

Greg Oden.. Made $23million in the NBA.. One and done.. You mean to tell me if he played 4 years, he wouldn't have fallen apart?  It is hypothetical, but look at how his NBA career went, and imagine if he tried 4 years in college.. Dude would have never been drafted (and if he was he'd be the Mr. Irrelevant pick), would not be a multi-millionaire, and his degree would still mean nothing..  His career is pretty much done.. But guess what he can go back to school if he wants or retire.. 

David Stern wants to !%#!* and complain about everything wrong with basketball, but never holds himself accountable. He's been the commissioner for 30 years, at some point he has to accept some blame for something.

I dunno, how about a degree in BASKETBALL, learn your craft, get in the tournament, learn the fundamentals,learn how to lose, make FREETHROWS,Kevin Durant is ahead of Lebron as a clutch performer all because of ONE year in college, if it doesn't work out, you might be a coach one day, plenty of former players are now coaches who went to college at LEAST through their junior years (Doc,Scott Brooks, Doug Collins?) Can you name a player drafted in the last 10 years who can be a coach? 'They are all morons and instead of basketball players they wanna be famous people who happen to play basketball, think who wins championships, it's not young boys, it's veteran TEAMS (Lakers,Spurs,Celtics....etc.) Do you think college has nothing to do with Tim Duncan being the best Power Forward of all time?Im not even 30 but can remember when Kevin Garnett coming out was a BIG DEAL, What happened in the last 15 years where staying in school is a "bad investment"?

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I agree w/ most of this, these top recruits should be getting paid, instead of this student-athlete nonsense. 

So Florida guard Erving Walker got arrested for stealing a taco from a street vendor. Link to story from ESPN here. I mean seriously?!? Dude didn't have enough dough to pay for the taco? I'm not sure of all the details obviously but somethings gotta be done to at least let these kids pocket money.

Originally Posted by psk2310

So Florida guard Erving Walker got arrested for stealing a taco from a street vendor. Link to story from ESPN here. I mean seriously?!? Dude didn't have enough dough to pay for the taco? I'm not sure of all the details obviously but somethings gotta be done to at least let these kids pocket money.
They should be compensated at part time wages at least...  So anywhere between $100-$200 a week (which is the medium to high end hours of part time work, at least it is here in Upstate NY) while season activities are going on..

Originally Posted by psk2310

They should be compensated at part time wages at least...  So anywhere between $100-$200 a week (which is the medium to high end hours of part time work, at least it is here in Upstate NY) while season activities are going on..

I agree. I know the issue of Pell grants has been raised. If qualified, I think it pays up to $5500 annually. Does anyone know why more college atheletes specifically in football & basketball aren't taking advantage of this grant?

The main thing about the one & done rule/High school rule is that, you don't know the problems and situations these young men and women have back home.

They should have the right to enter the NBA/WNBA straight out of high school or after their Freshman year at their school.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

The main thing about the one & done rule/High school rule is that, you don't know the problems and situations these young men and women have back home.

They should have the right to enter the NBA/WNBA straight out of high school or after their Freshman year at their school.

Most problems that these young men and women have at home has todo with poverty, throwing money at a problem never solves it' just cleans it up temporarily, EDUCATING yourself makes you avoid similar problems in the future, btw there are way more collegiate sports than basketball and football being played, how come I never hear of Lacrosse, tennis or even baseball players talking about getting paid?

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Most problems that these young men and women have at home has todo with poverty, throwing money at a problem never solves it' just cleans it up temporarily, EDUCATING yourself makes you avoid similar problems in the future, btw there are way more collegiate sports than basketball and football being played, how come I never hear of Lacrosse, tennis or even baseball players talking about getting paid?

Huh? Those sports are big revenue generating sports for the universities, and also the kids in sports like Lacrosse and Tennis, and even baseball in some cases come from very different backgrounds than a lot of basketball and football players.

I dunno, how about a degree in BASKETBALL, learn your craft, get in the tournament, learn the fundamentals,learn how to lose, make FREETHROWS,Kevin Durant is ahead of Lebron as a clutch performer all because of ONE year in college, if it doesn't work out, you might be a coach one day, plenty of former players are now coaches who went to college at LEAST through their junior years (Doc,Scott Brooks, Doug Collins?) Can you name a player drafted in the last 10 years who can be a coach? 'They are all morons and instead of basketball players they wanna be famous people who happen to play basketball, think who wins championships, it's not young boys, it's veteran TEAMS (Lakers,Spurs,Celtics....etc.) Do you think college has nothing to do with Tim Duncan being the best Power Forward of all time?Im not even 30 but can remember when Kevin Garnett coming out was a BIG DEAL, What happened in the last 15 years where staying in school is a "bad investment"?
By that logic, guys like Mario Chalmers, Carmelo Anthony, Corey Brewer, Mike Conley should be some of the best players in the league given their college success. Shaq, Griffin, and a bunch of other poor free throw shooters have gone to college, but never learned how to shoot free throws. Cousins went to college and had a decent first year, but can't play defense any better than someone like Garnett or Tyson Chandler. It really depends on the individual player if they want to improve or not. Wouldn't they be able to improve even more in the NBA with the best coaches and trainers and facilities? Some players are just lazy while others are going to work hard regardless of where they train.

[h1]John Calipari, The First Honest Pimp[/h1]

John Calipari is a smarmy greaseball with a habit of making enemies and racking up NCAA violations, and sometimes I think he's the only man who really understands college basketball.
Ask him about one-and-done players, those top recruits who joined him in Memphis and join him in Lexington and spend their mandated two semesters before leaving for fame and fortune in the NBA, and he won't bemoan the practice. He won't mourn for Anthony Davis missing out on three years of dorm beds and cafeteria lunches and the rest of that magical college experience. He won't wish Derrick Rose was only now winning a Rookie of the Year award, instead of being eligible to sign a $95 million contract extension with the Bulls. Calipari's not in the business of trying to legislate the NCAA, only making the most of the rules for himself, his fans, and his players.

Calipari was asked how to stop one-and-dones:
"There are only two solutions to it: Either I can recruit players who are not as good as the players I'm recruiting or I can try to convince guys that should leave to stay for me."

You're old enough now to know the truth. No more fairy stories about "student-athletes" (a tortured phrase Calipari refuses to use) and loyalty and preparing a teenager for manhood. Division I is a minor league and a cattle call for the NBA, and one-and-done only exists because none-and-done no longer does. Save the "shaping young men's characters" bull for John Wooden's condolence book. John Calipari is successful because he recruits the type of player who's going to leave after one season. Win-and-done.

Calipari says he could "recruit players who aren't quite as good, who don't have the opportunity" to leave for the NBA.
"What I see happening around the country is, you lose players when it's time for these others to step up and be the stars, they're not good enough. And you end up going to the NIT or worse. You go on losing streaks. How will the fans like that here? They like losing? You can't do it."

Well, you could, but then you don't get $4.5 million a year. You don't get to be a perennial powerhouse, running deep into March and April and making hundreds of millions for the school in donations from engaged alumni and attracting prep schoolers who want to go where they'll win and be able to show off their skills and not be shamed into postponing their first paydays. It's what Calipari talks about when he refers to his "players-first program," because he gets that everything comes from the players. The success and the fame and the money and the endowments and the reputation, none of that comes without being able to get the type of players Calipari gets.

And if that means losing them after one season? So be it:
"I could bulldoze 'em, brainwash 'em and make 'em stay. I will never do it. Get another coach. Because if it were my son, I wouldn't want my son treated that way."

It's telling that this is somehow a controversial statement. That the man who outright says he's not going to stop a 19-year-old from earning the millions of dollars he's worth is vilified. That Kentucky is referred to as "a trade school for transients," or that terrible human Bobby Knight can claim Calipari is "lacking in integrity" and nobody bats an eye.

Yet it's Calipari who thinks that players should receive some kind of reimbursement for their NCAA-enforced lost earning power. It's Calipari who points out that no one criticizes Bill Gates or Steve Jobs for leaving college when it had nothing left to offer them.

Calipari's mindset isn't new. Lots of smart people like Taylor Branch and Charles P. Pierce have been beating this drum for years. But what's revolutionary is someone within the system recognizing it for what it is, instead of hiding behind the veneer of idealism. Amateurism has long left the station, and what's left is a crowded waiting room without even a Mussolini to make the trains run on time. Duke, with shaper of men Coach K, lost Austin Rivers after a season. Kansas had three recruits declared academically ineligible this year. Only Calipari doesn't pretend this isn't the cost of doing business.

Here's Cal, on a true hypothetical:
"If we ever won a national title and no player was drafted, I would be excited for our fans, excited for our school and our program, but I'd be disappointed."

That's selflessness, and the words of man who's figured out how to build a great basketball team with great players, not student-athletes. Stars come and go. By letting them go, Calipari gets them to come.

Back
Top Bottom