Dan haren to D-backs

I couldn't believe what I heard when I heard this on the radio... Damn, D-Backs gonna be serious. Not sure about them prospects and if the A's gave uptoo much... But IMO D-Backs got the better half.

I posted this in the offseason thread and I'll post it here too for my fellow weary A's fans.(from mlbtraderumors.com)

[h3]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/dan-haren-tra-1.html[/h3]
[h3]Dan Haren Trade Analysis[/h3]
The first domino fell tonight as an ace starter, Dan Haren, was dealt to the Diamondbacks for a bevy of prospects. I believe the D'Backs won this one. Let's dig into the details.

Take Haren, a horse of an American League pitcher, and throw him in the easier league. The D'Backs got themselves a bona fide ace to pair with Brandon Webb, and they get him for three years at a reasonable price. He makes a mere $16.25MM over 2008-10; he's worth at least three times that amount. (Arizona also gets 26 year-old reliever Connor Robertson, who hasn't really conquered Triple A yet.)

To balance out the immense value of Haren, the A's get six young players. Four of them represent the #1, 3, 7, and 8th ranked prospects on Baseball America's top ten for the team.

Carlos Gonzalez, 22, is the stud of the group. He can play right or center and has definite star potential. However, he's no lock to become Carlos Beltran or Jeff Francoeur.

Southpaw starter Brett Anderson turns 20 in February. He's more about polish and command than stuff, and is a curious guy to be the main pitching prospect in the Haren deal. He'll try to tackle Double A in 2008.

We've discussed 21 year-old first baseman Chris Carter recently; the D'Backs just acquired him for Carlos Quentin. Who knew it was setting up a Haren deal. He's a slow guy with massive power and plenty of strikeouts. He'll give High A ball a try in '08.

Outfielder Aaron Cunningham turns 22 in April. He's one of those guys who doesn't do anything poorly but isn't great at any one skill either. Baseball America thinks he'll become a solid fourth outfielder.

24 year-old southpaw Dana Eveland came to Arizona along with Doug Davis. He's drawn David Wells comparisons and has proven himself in the high minors. He missed a lot of '07 with a torn tendon in his pitching hand.

Greg Smith is a 24 year-old southpaw starter with a good curveball and mediocre fastball. His strikeout rate was just 5.85 per nine at Triple A in '07.

I'm surprised Billy Beane didn't get more "sure thing" young players for his best trading chip. Gonzalez will probably pan out, but he really needed a high octane near-MLB young gun starter too and he didn't get it. I will give him credit for spreading out his risk over six prospects, though. Josh Byrnes gets an ace without giving up anyone he needed in '08.

D-Backs got a STEAL in this. Even tho i dont think Haren is a true ace, he is a PERFECT complement to Brandon Webb as a #2.

Here's hoping the Mets get Blanton without giving up both our outfield prospects.

Santana or Bedard on the other hand....

D-Backs got a STEAL in this.
Basically. They got a few nice prospects in Gonzalez, Carter and Anderson, but they didn't get that 'sure-fire' prospect you'dexpect to get in exchange for an ace pitcher under contract until 2011 or whatever...

Face it A's fans, the A's were going NOWHERE this year with the Angels being as good as they are and our offense not being what we've seen in thepast. They might as well trade the gpod players off and rebuild for a contender in 4 years.

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Face it A's fans, the A's were going NOWHERE this year with the Angels being as good as they are and our offense not being what we've seen in the past. They might as well trade the gpod players off and rebuild for a contender in 4 years.
Well I have calmed down a lot since the deal happened (especially with the warriors game haha). I completely agree with the fact that we weren'tgoing to be able to contend but I guess I am just upset that we are always building for the future. It has just become so frustrating and I sure would haverather traded Blanton over Haren. But it is time to move on. Best of luck in the NL Danny!

This trade is exactly why the A's will always be a second class organization. As soon as their players get really good, they ship them out. Ownership andmanagement is limiting Beane's ability to win a World Series. With this constant looking to the future attitude, and getting rid of young players as soonas they get good enough to demand a decent contract, management has essentially put a ceiling on the A's success. They will never win another World Serieswith this technique.

No supestar free agent will ever want to sign with the A's. Sure Beane is always ahead of the curve when it comes to acquiring good young talent, but untilmanagement is willing to pay some players, they will be a first round playoff exit at best.

Originally Posted by dland24

This trade is exactly why the A's will always be a second class organization. As soon as their players get really good, they ship them out. Ownership and management is limiting Beane's ability to win a World Series. With this constant looking to the future attitude, and getting rid of young players as soon as they get good enough to demand a decent contract, management has essentially put a ceiling on the A's success. They will never win another World Series with this technique.

No supestar free agent will ever want to sign with the A's. Sure Beane is always ahead of the curve when it comes to acquiring good young talent, but until management is willing to pay some players, they will be a first round playoff exit at best.

Comments like this about my team always gets me heated. No one remembers 2 years ago when we went to the ALCS. That was the year that we were building upto since the Big 3 firesale. Sure we didn't seal the deal, but the better team won, oh well. You can call us the underdogs, that's what we'llalways be with our payroll. Never call us a 2nd rate team, when we're in contention every god damn year.

Originally Posted by WearinTheFourFive

This trade is exactly why the A's will always be a second class organization. As soon as their players get really good, they ship them out. Ownership and management is limiting Beane's ability to win a World Series. With this constant looking to the future attitude, and getting rid of young players as soon as they get good enough to demand a decent contract, management has essentially put a ceiling on the A's success. They will never win another World Series with this technique.

No supestar free agent will ever want to sign with the A's. Sure Beane is always ahead of the curve when it comes to acquiring good young talent, but until management is willing to pay some players, they will be a first round playoff exit at best.

Comments like this about my team always gets me heated. No one remembers 2 years ago when we went to the ALCS. That was the year that we were building up to since the Big 3 firesale. Sure we didn't seal the deal, but the better team won, oh well. You can call us the underdogs, that's what we'll always be with our payroll. Never call us a 2nd rate team, when we're in contention every god damn year.

Youre right, just b/c the A's dont have big names in their lineup they go unnoiticed, Hell, remember back in the early 2000s when we had a very nicesquad that should of went to the world series but stupid mistakes on the field cost them the series? The A's are a good franchise and they are run verywell, it just they play in a market that doesnt allow them to pay their players once they get really really good. Hopefully all that will change once the newstadium is built.

Comments like this about my team always gets me heated. No one remembers 2 years ago when we went to the ALCS. That was the year that we were building up to since the Big 3 firesale. Sure we didn't seal the deal, but the better team won, oh well. You can call us the underdogs, that's what we'll always be with our payroll. Never call us a 2nd rate team, when we're in contention every god damn year.
I remember. And I remember that you guys had a great thing going. And then guess what happened? The lack of the ability to spend money cost them theoppurtunity to go even further the next season, with maybe an even better team. Frank Thomas had a great season and walked. Zito had a Zitolike season, andwalked. If you kept that team together and maybe added a key free agent or two the next season, maybe you would have had a World Series Trophy. Hell, it evencosts you THAT season. Tell me you dont go to the World Series if you paid Tejada instead of hoping Crosby would be good? Maybe second class isnt the correctwording, but you surely arent a top class organization thats for sure.

Youre right, just b/c the A's dont have big names in their lineup they go unnoiticed, Hell, remember back in the early 2000s when we had a very nice squad that should of went to the world series but stupid mistakes on the field cost them the series? The A's are a good franchise and they are run very well, it just they play in a market that doesnt allow them to pay their players once they get really really good. Hopefully all that will change once the new stadium is built.
Dont give me that about playing in a market that doesnt allow them to pay their players. Guess what? A lack of a fanbase is one of the things thatgoes into calling them a second class organization. Its embarrassing the day of a playoff game you could walk up to the ticket office and buy a ticket. Itsembarrassing that you had to close off your entire upper deck to make the stadium look more crowded. If you had fans that went to the games, maybe you wouldhave money to spend on players. But why would owners spend a lot of money if no one goes to the games. By your lack of ability to draw fans even when they aregood, prevents the owners from making a splash in free agency.

Youre right, just b/c the A's dont have big names in their lineup they go unnoiticed, Hell, remember back in the early 2000s when we had a very nice squad that should of went to the world series but stupid mistakes on the field cost them the series? The A's are a good franchise and they are run very well, it just they play in a market that doesnt allow them to pay their players once they get really really good. Hopefully all that will change once the new stadium is built.
Dont give me that about playing in a market that doesnt allow them to pay their players. Guess what? A lack of a fanbase is one of the things that goes into calling them a second class organization. Its embarrassing the day of a playoff game you could walk up to the ticket office and buy a ticket. Its embarrassing that you had to close off your entire upper deck to make the stadium look more crowded. If you had fans that went to the games, maybe you would have money to spend on players. But why would owners spend a lot of money if no one goes to the games. By your lack of ability to draw fans even when they are good, prevents the owners from making a splash in free agency.

What the *+++, its true they play in a small time market that doesnt allow them to pay their players. Oakland has always been small market, look at theraiders. And dont bring the warriors in this b/c they are the only basketball team in the bay so the whole bay roots for them. Looks at all the "firstclass organizations" and look how much money theyre spending on their players

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Originally Posted by CP1708

Man,
smh.gif
who wants to face Haren and Webb back to back now? Damn it.

word, thats going to be
eek.gif

Glad i like the Yankees. Al without Haren=
pimp.gif

Dont give me that about playing in a market that doesnt allow them to pay their players. Guess what? A lack of a fanbase is one of the things that goes into calling them a second class organization. Its embarrassing the day of a playoff game you could walk up to the ticket office and buy a ticket. Its embarrassing that you had to close off your entire upper deck to make the stadium look more crowded. If you had fans that went to the games, maybe you would have money to spend on players. But why would owners spend a lot of money if no one goes to the games. By your lack of ability to draw fans even when they are good, prevents the owners from making a splash in free agency.

What the *+++, its true they play in a small time market that doesnt allow them to pay their players. Oakland has always been small market, look at the raiders. And dont bring the warriors in this b/c they are the only basketball team in the bay so the whole bay roots for them. Looks at all the "first class organizations" and look how much money theyre spending on their players
Please explain to me how the Raiders are the same way.....I'd love to hear it. The Raiders sell out, or come close to selling out every singlegame, and they are awful. Plus the although the stadium is the same, the Raiders have tens of thousands of more seats than the A's do. Horrible comparison.There are way more Raider fans than A's fans by millions, and they both play in the same city.

What the *+++, its true they play in a small time market that doesnt allow them to pay their players. Oakland has always been small market, look at the raiders. And dont bring the warriors in this b/c they are the only basketball team in the bay so the whole bay roots for them. Looks at all the "first class organizations" and look how much money theyre spending on their players
Please explain to me how the Raiders are the same way.....I'd love to hear it. The Raiders sell out, or come close to selling out every single game, and they are awful. Plus the although the stadium is the same, the Raiders have tens of thousands of more seats than the A's do. Horrible comparison. There are way more Raider fans than A's fans by millions, and they both play in the same city.

Because the Raiders are in the same market. Oakland fans are different from SF fans or from fans around the Bay. Raiders selling out?
roll.gif
Please stop it LOL

Please explain to me how the Raiders are the same way.....I'd love to hear it. The Raiders sell out, or come close to selling out every single game, and they are awful. Plus the although the stadium is the same, the Raiders have tens of thousands of more seats than the A's do. Horrible comparison. There are way more Raider fans than A's fans by millions, and they both play in the same city.

Because the Raiders are in the same market. Oakland fans are different from SF fans or from fans around the Bay. Raiders selling out?
roll.gif
Please stop it LOL
Are you kidding me man? First of all you restate the point I made in different words, then you laugh about my comment about coming close to sellingout? The Raiders play in the same market as the A's (which you repeated) and the Raiders have WAY more fans and are able to sign quality free agents. Ilove how you laugh about the Raiders coming close to selling out. How about we look at the attendance: Week 13- 61,990 Week 10- 62,715 Week 9- 49,603 Week 7-62,240 Week 3- 51,075 Week 1- 61,547 Next time before you start laughing make sure you know know what you are talking about. If those numbers dont show thatthe Raiders sell out or come close to selling out like I said, then I dont know what does. So again, they play in the same market. Raider tickets are WAY moreexpensive. So why cant the A's draw fans? Because they are a second class organization. Period.

As a D'Back I love the trade and as a A's fan I like it good prospects (just not that elite one though). Hate the Valverde trade but a classic sellhigh with his inconsistency he has.

roll.gif
Please stop it LOL
Are you kidding me man? First of all you restate the point I made in different words, then you laugh about my comment about coming close to selling out? The Raiders play in the same market as the A's (which you repeated) and the Raiders have WAY more fans and are able to sign quality free agents. I love how you laugh about the Raiders coming close to selling out. How about we look at the attendance: Week 13- 61,990 Week 10- 62,715 Week 9- 49,603 Week 7- 62,240 Week 3- 51,075 Week 1- 61,547 Next time before you start laughing make sure you know know what you are talking about. If those numbers dont show that the Raiders sell out or come close to selling out like I said, then I dont know what does. So again, they play in the same market. Raider tickets are WAY more expensive. So why cant the A's draw fans? Because they are a second class organization. Period.

Smaller market, revenue sharing, etc etc, read up on it. Dont bring up the Raiders and how they can sign quality FAs, theres a cap in football, notbaseball. And if there are MILLIONS more gayder fans than A's fans why dont they sell out? Oh maybe cuz oakland is a small market. Like I said theoakland fan is different from the SF or any other bay area fan.

roll.gif
Please stop it LOL
Are you kidding me man? First of all you restate the point I made in different words, then you laugh about my comment about coming close to selling out? The Raiders play in the same market as the A's (which you repeated) and the Raiders have WAY more fans and are able to sign quality free agents. I love how you laugh about the Raiders coming close to selling out. How about we look at the attendance: Week 13- 61,990 Week 10- 62,715 Week 9- 49,603 Week 7- 62,240 Week 3- 51,075 Week 1- 61,547 Next time before you start laughing make sure you know know what you are talking about. If those numbers dont show that the Raiders sell out or come close to selling out like I said, then I dont know what does. So again, they play in the same market. Raider tickets are WAY more expensive. So why cant the A's draw fans? Because they are a second class organization. Period.

Smaller market, revenue sharing, etc etc, read up on it. Dont bring up the Raiders and how they can sign quality FAs, theres a cap in football, not baseball. And if there are MILLIONS more gayder fans than A's fans why dont they sell out? Oh maybe cuz oakland is a small market. Like I said the oakland fan is different from the SF or any other bay area fan.
Did you not read what I wrote two messages ago about attendance? The sell out games. Or they come very close. Turn on cbs right now. Do you see theRaider game on? Guess what? That means they sold out. I've watched 4 home Raider games on tv this year....and guess what that means? That means they soldout.

roll.gif
u gettin mad haha, read about what i say about oakland fans andEVERYTHING i already wrote, i aint explaining it again

Way too much bickering over here
laugh.gif

Real talk tho - As long as the A's play in the coliseum (a football stadium) they will never generate enough revenue to significantly add to their payroll.I'm not even sure the the proposed "Cisco Field" is the answer. The A's have a pretty strong fan base but their stadium just doesn'tprovide the necessary atmosphere to enjoy baseball. Bud Selig even addressed that the A's desperately need a new stadium, until that day comes the A'shave to be economic with their payroll.

roll.gif
Please stop it LOL

Smaller market, revenue sharing, etc etc, read up on it. Dont bring up the Raiders and how they can sign quality FAs, theres a cap in football, not baseball. And if there are MILLIONS more gayder fans than A's fans why dont they sell out? Oh maybe cuz oakland is a small market. Like I said the oakland fan is different from the SF or any other bay area fan.
Did you not read what I wrote two messages ago about attendance? The sell out games. Or they come very close. Turn on cbs right now. Do you see the Raider game on? Guess what? That means they sold out. I've watched 4 home Raider games on tv this year....and guess what that means? That means they sold out.

In the games that the Raiders sell out it isn't because of the Raider Nation. It's because the other team has fans that travel well, like Chicagofor example. The Bears fans are everywhere and there are already an abundance of them in Northern California. You bet your!#%% they're going to show upon gameday when their favorite team comes to town. Face it bro, Oakland never sells out the stadium with their fans, it just doesn't happen because agreat deal of the bay is still in love with the 49ers. Including myself. Ady2glude is right, the team across the bay is more popular and more marketable. The A's aren't as attractive a market as the Giants, or were because Bonds is gone now, so they don't have the fans going to the games day in andday out. Also, I think the move to Fremont would benefit the A's a hell of a lot, they need a new ballpark desperately. The Giants suck but the fansstill show up. A lot of that reason is because of AT&T Park itself. The stadium is just incredible and there's more to do than just watch the game. After the Giants lose the fans can still stroll Downtown SF and have a good time. At McAfee it isn't the same way, when the game is over there isn'tanything else to do but go home. It's the surrounding area that makes Oakland a small market and SF a big one.

Back
Top Bottom