creative field: architecture vs graphic design

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

i think people have misconceptions about what an architect does.

we don't sit around and draw all day, nor do architects have to be incredibly good at math.

you do need to be good at solving problems and coordinating complex tasks.

designing and drawing a building is the fun part. coordinating all the engineering disciplines (mechanical, electrical, structural, etc) is the not-so-glamorous part... and unfortunately the part that takes up most of your time.
side question. 
Do you ever design for fun. Like do you have a portfolio of just random ideas for fun or stuff you do free of worrying about interfacing with other disciplines like you mentioned?

we don't sit around and draw all day, nor do architects have to be incredibly good at math.

designing and drawing a building is the fun part. coordinating all the engineering disciplines (mechanical, electrical, structural, etc) is the not-so-glamorous part... and unfortunately the part that takes up most of your time.
hahaha true.. when it comes to architectural practice, you're gona have to deal with a lot of that. aside from the business part of it all, which is a big factor also. what i did in school and what i had to do while working at a firm was really different. 

hahaha true.. when it comes to architectural practice, you're gona have to deal with a lot of that. aside from the business part of it all, which is a big factor also. what i did in school and what i had to do while working at a firm was really different. 

Originally Posted by Wr

side question. 
Do you ever design for fun. Like do you have a portfolio of just random ideas for fun or stuff you do free of worrying about interfacing with other disciplines like you mentioned?

nope.  i am so stressed at work that i try to just turn it off when i get home, lol...

Originally Posted by Wr

side question. 

nope.  i am so stressed at work that i try to just turn it off when i get home, lol...

Hmm-hmm, good question. I'd say graphic design. Architecture has had a lot of draw backs due to the recession. A lot less construction going on. Website design is emerging, thats a fact. In graphic design you can count on an ok salary, but it wont raise much during the years, unless you become a star designer or something, or start u a good firm and manage yourself extremely well. It aint easy in either fields and you have to be extremely passionate to succeed.

Hmm-hmm, good question. I'd say graphic design. Architecture has had a lot of draw backs due to the recession. A lot less construction going on. Website design is emerging, thats a fact. In graphic design you can count on an ok salary, but it wont raise much during the years, unless you become a star designer or something, or start u a good firm and manage yourself extremely well. It aint easy in either fields and you have to be extremely passionate to succeed.

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by xCautioNx

Originally Posted by Im Not You

every creative field is oversaturated. If that's your breaking point then don't pursue either. It's truly a survival of the fittest career.

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound cocky or anything but I'm a great artist and designer and whatever I end up choosing will be able to hold my own as far as survival of the fittest I'm just having a hard time I guess choosing which direction to go in.
If you're confident you will succeed (which usually is enough), or if you truly love it, then it's up to you. We can't tell you what you'll like.

I'll break my view of it down for you:
-Architecture is for you if you like the design of homes/buildings. If you like walking around cities/neighborhoods and admire the small details and materials they use in the construction, this is for you. Personally I think it's a lot of fun to design a building, cause they're so useful and to see it play out is amazing.
-Graphic design is cool if you like to create stuff visually. Architecture is also visual, but it's more of an overall construction and is dependent on things other than aesthetics, whereas graphic design allows you to focus completely on how something looks (but you still need to implement function). I don't like graphic design as much because I get bored of just designing designs, if that makes sense. I like to work with stuff on a bigger scale.

If you're stuck, have you considered just choosing a design major? That way you can explore various types of design and maybe find one you weren't familiar with that you really enjoy.
Thanks for all the input NT, and I have also thought about considering a design major, and have thought about being a overall well rounded architect from building design, to interior and landscape design. If I can do it all after the minimum number of years required at a firm for work experience I can branch out on my own. Another thing I have though about is also adding general contracting skills to this so I could really do it all haha, think that's possible?

Originally Posted by Im Not You

every creative field is oversaturated. If that's your breaking point then don't pursue either. It's truly a survival of the fittest career.

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound cocky or anything but I'm a great artist and designer and whatever I end up choosing will be able to hold my own as far as survival of the fittest I'm just having a hard time I guess choosing which direction to go in.
If you're confident you will succeed (which usually is enough), or if you truly love it, then it's up to you. We can't tell you what you'll like.

-Architecture is for you if you like the design of homes/buildings. If you like walking around cities/neighborhoods and admire the small details and materials they use in the construction, this is for you. Personally I think it's a lot of fun to design a building, cause they're so useful and to see it play out is amazing.
-Graphic design is cool if you like to create stuff visually. Architecture is also visual, but it's more of an overall construction and is dependent on things other than aesthetics, whereas graphic design allows you to focus completely on how something looks (but you still need to implement function). I don't like graphic design as much because I get bored of just designing designs, if that makes sense. I like to work with stuff on a bigger scale.

If you're stuck, have you considered just choosing a design major? That way you can explore various types of design and maybe find one you weren't familiar with that you really enjoy.
Thanks for all the input NT, and I have also thought about considering a design major, and have thought about being a overall well rounded architect from building design, to interior and landscape design. If I can do it all after the minimum number of years required at a firm for work experience I can branch out on my own. Another thing I have though about is also adding general contracting skills to this so I could really do it all haha, think that's possible?

archicture is no joke
30t6p3b.gif

do it if you truly love it, go for it but just remember you wont be making a doctors salary

archicture is no joke
30t6p3b.gif

do it if you truly love it, go for it but just remember you wont be making a doctors salary

Go for it my man. It'll only make you more knowledgeable in the field. 

Go for it my man. It'll only make you more knowledgeable in the field. 

Back
Top Bottom