Could You Imagine If Lebron Actually Did Play In MJs Era Vol. Illegal Defense

Aside from Pippen, MJ, and Rodman, name 5 players from the 90's era that can consistently lock down Lebron on the wing.
BTW I'm not even a Lebron fan.

Originally Posted by MeloManFan

Aside from Pippen, MJ, and Rodman, name 5 players from the 90's era that can consistently lock down Lebron on the wing.
BTW I'm not even a Lebron fan.

jkidd, kobe (when he wanted to lock up), kg

forgot to mention alvin robertson
pimp.gif

^ First off, Lebron is a freak, no doubt, so I don't feel comfortable saying anyone would "consistently lock down" the guy.

HOWEVA... the following would definitely give him fits on the perimeter:
- Blaylock
- Glove
- Stockton (go ahead and laugh at the height disadvantage of the players named so far; all you're doing is showing your limited understanding of the game)

And you got guys like AC Green and Michael Cooper that would give him fits the same way a guy like Shane Battier gives fits to perimeter players today.

I'd love to see offensive Lebron play defensive Charles Oakley, though.
devil.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ First off, Lebron is a freak, no doubt, so I don't feel comfortable saying anyone would "consistently lock down" the guy.

- Blaylock
- Glove
- Stockton (go ahead and laugh at the height disadvantage of the players named so far; all you're doing is showing your limited understanding of the game)

And you got guys like AC Green and Michael Cooper that would give him fits the same way a guy like Shane Battier gives fits to perimeter players today.

devil.gif
If by give Bron fits you mean that it would take him 20 shots to get 30 points then sure, I agree.
I know you guys have been watching basketball for the past 100 years but there are some players that I just don't buy this argument with...Players like Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Hakeem, Kareem, Magic, CP3, Deron, Duncan, etc. would dominate in any era..Duncan is getting 20 + 10, MJ is getting 28 5 5, CP3/Deron are getting 18 and 10, etc...it just doesn't matter what era you drop them in.

I really don't see the logic in saying LeBron would have a hard time in the 90s...the same type of argument could be made with MJ having a tougher time in today's era against the Kirilinekos, Wades, Kobes, Brons (
laugh.gif
), Battiers, Bowens, Tayshauns, Tony Allens, etc. I don't buy that argument either. The players we talk about most (aforementioned above) are transcendent talents. Era / time means nothing. 

For all the blatant Bron haters...how about we rephrase the question.: do you think 2010 Dirk's offensive game would regresses significantly if he gets dropped in the mid 90s? Like...how can anyone believe that...
laugh.gif
....Since it's a Monday I'm kind of hoping someone says something asinine like Joe Dumars could check Dirk and talk about low center of gravity or something 
laugh.gif

And since basketball is a 2 way sport...we got LeBron shutting down players from D-Rose to Pau/Bargnani...so it's fair to see OP makes a fair point...if Bron could be more physical (since that's why older fans like to say the 90s was) then Bron on D wouldn't be fair. 

- Blaylock
- Glove
Glove, maybe.

But Stockton is not checking LBJ. Yes, he's the all-time steals leader & i'd put him on any NBA PG that suited up. Not 6 foot 8 inch, 250-pound LeBron James. Let's get, real.

Are we talking about an actual game? 5 on 5? You think Jerry Sloan would put Stockton on Bron in the Matchup board?

I hate -- solely off "The Decision" -- LeBron James almost as much as anyone on NT. But some of y'all take it to another level.

So now ball denial is out the window.

What other facets of defense can be thrown out the window next?

Because defense in basketball is strictly about size... which makes me scratch my head how Tayshaun Prince had a nice little run at great defense... weighing in at 38 lbs.

If the basis of your argument is that players would be allowed to be more physical with Lebron then how can you ignore the converse, which is the fact that Lebron would be allowed to be more physical on offense and not worry about offensive fouls as much?

And lets stop acting like charges were created in 2002.

Tayshaun, btw, is a long, wiry dude.

Ball denial? Throughout a course of a game, you think Stock, Mook, or GP will be able to stop Bron getting the ball? They're playing zone today. And Bron still gets his touches. One-on-one those PG's won't stop him from getting his adequate touches.

Anyways, if they're primary defenders... Bron puts 35 easy on Stock or Mook every time. He averages 24 against Glove.

I'm sure you're just mad hyped your Sparks picked Stanford chick. Once you come back down to earth and analyze this, I'm sure you'll have a more logical opinion.

dreClark:
If the basis of your argument is that players would be allowed to be more physical with Lebron then how can you ignore the converse, which is the fact that Lebron would be allowed to be more physical on offense and not worry about offensive fouls as much?

And lets stop acting like charges were created in 2002.
Who? Me?

The basis of my argument has nothing to do w/ players being more physical on Bron or Bron being more physical on them or physicality being more now or more then or anything like that.

Tayshaun has never been accused of being too physical, but he had a stretch where he was definitely among the most respected defenders in the game.

I think that Defense has come a long way since MJ's era.
The Current Chicago Bulls essentially play a matchup zone and rebound. Thats unheard of in Basketball. Boston with Tibbs ain't even do that.
I think Bron would have problems handling the ball, but he would also have a team that got him the ball in his spots and thus would have defined spots.
He translates better to the 80's than the 90's though.
Just like Oscar translates better to the 80's.
His ability to run and defend in stretches would stand out more than they do now.
The 90's would be bogged down by the lack of athletic ability. The 80's people still had to move and could move their feet. the Bad boys took that away for a lot of guys and it got to the point where Anthony Mason Charles Oakley ( old) and Ewing were the best defensive front line.
Im not gone sit here and harp on the guards cause these guys literally would guide you where they wanted you, and I think Bron as presently constructed would have issue with having to consistently pivot to get the ball up the floor. But if he was put in a Larry Bird type role where he could use his passing, and abstain from ball handling he would excel and be a hofer in any era

wait...did son jus say...mj...black cat...air jordan...air apparent...goat...was 240lbs...????? oh..he means today. gotcha.

So now ball denial is out the window.

What other facets of defense can be thrown out the window next?

Because defense in basketball is strictly about size... which makes me scratch my head how Tayshaun Prince had a nice little run at great defense... weighing in at 38 lbs.
So when you mentioned GP, Stock, and Blaylock...you were referring to some otherworldly ball denial skills that somehow, with evolution, no one in the NBA currently possesses? I'm almost positive LeBron can get the ball whenever he wants...the only thing he's ever been criticized for, and has been somewhat overblown, are his performances in crunchtime. I've never once heard someone say, "It's easy to deny him the ball." But I guess when you add some sub 6'4 PGs into the equation, LeBron would have trouble getting the rock. Makes a lot of sense 
eyes.gif

Tayshaun is 6'9 with a 7'2 wingspan...and I'm not even sure why you're bringing him up. There's this idea that Tayshaun locked down Kobe and LeBron in the playoffs when in actuality, those Detroit teams were just that good defensively. And if you forget what LeBron did to the Pistons here's a refresher...

Again, Ska you've clearly established yourself as one of the more knowledgable posters so I hope this post doesn't come off as argumentative but this Anti-Bron logic is eerilyreminiscentof the illogical and misplaced hate that plagued Kobe for much of his career (the sentiment which propelled Nash to undeservingly rob 2 MVPs). So I can't sit here and let you say players like Mookie would keep Bron from getting his 30 6 6, I just can't.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

It is worth considering. The numbers are practically the same now vs then  (& schematically - I really have no doubt that it has advanced). But the nostalgia factor and the era of 'hard nosed basketball' will not allow people in our age group to even consider it. 

Originally Posted by Al3xis

It is worth considering. The numbers are practically the same now vs then  (& schematically - I really have no doubt that it has advanced). But the nostalgia factor and the era of 'hard nosed basketball' will not allow people in our age group to even consider it. 
Sometimes I think the athleticism factor, which I do believe has improved, gets overblown and that today's technology and advanced statistics don't get mentioned enough. Technology + advanced statistics, trends, etc. really makes a difference. I do cringe at the thought of Pippen having access to the info Battier gets provided before each of his games 
sick.gif

But this era of guys are more skilled than the 90's. I mean stop and think about it, a guy with JR Smith's tools would be a legit #2 scoring option ill regardless of his other issues.
As of now he is a bench spark plug.

Schematically on both ends the game has advanced.

The Nostalgia the players and media portray doesn't help matters. To me the other thing is the way Midrange shots are defended. I dont think Mike gets single coverage on the post as often as he did. I think while he would be able to move better his athletic ability wouldn't be as stunning. I think he would find himself being guided to particular spots more often than he thinks, not with physicality but simply with presence.

But this era of guys are more skilled than the 90's. I mean stop and think about it, a guy with JR Smith's tools would be a legit #2 scoring option ill regardless of his other issues.
As of now he is a bench spark plug.

Schematically on both ends the game has advanced.

The Nostalgia the players and media portray doesn't help matters. To me the other thing is the way Midrange shots are defended. I dont think Mike gets single coverage on the post as often as he did. I think while he would be able to move better his athletic ability wouldn't be as stunning. I think he would find himself being guided to particular spots more often than he thinks, not with physicality but simply with presence.
+1 to everything you're saying...I always tell my friends that JR Smith's talent is off the charts at times. 

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
at the MJ .gif

I could see LeBron putting in work defensively in that era... While there's a guarantee some players would give him trouble, I think he'd be consistent for the most part.

Most overrated defender of all time . $#@! is ridiculous now. I've seen this dude get lit up way too many times to continue with this "ultimate defender" title you guys give him.

devil.gif
Damn! Oak would eat him for breakfast, lunch and dinner! The Bad Boys would feast on Bron too. Barkley, Rodman and Malone too. But I think Bron would adjust to that and learn from it like MJ did. 

Bron's unique blend of skill & athleticism transcends time.

Just like kobe

Just like Mike

Originally Posted by ohboydanny

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

Kinda a spin off on the illegal defense/mj era the easiest thread. I feel if Lebron could use his body more in defense he would benefit a lot. He is bigger than most of the guys and if he could actually use that as an advantage he would be unstoppable on the defensive end. Add the hand checking and plus his blocking he probably would have been a top defensive player of all time.

Flame suit on

They still had 4th quarters in MJ's era, though. See how pointless that was? Just like this thread.

http://www.****younerds.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/michael_jordan.gif

laugh.gif

The Refs used to let players bang in the 90's though...no way Lebron would handle that Defense and still be as effective as he is today.

Back
Top Bottom