Concussion in Sports

More and more light gets shed on this injury everyday, but honestly in collision sports is there much that can be done.... ie Hockey and Football?....I've noticed all of the lawsuits that have been mounting up against the NFL from its former players, and even though there is evidence of the NFL having more knowledge of Concussions than they gave, can they be the only ones to blame?......Concussion occur @ all levels in Football whether it be little league, High School, or College, so why has so much blame been put upon the NFL, when it probably has occurred at Colleges and Highschools  for the past 30 to 40 years +?

I'm pretty sensitive to this issue right now. With the Saints fines being handed down and the passing of Seau, it all leads me to the thought that the penalty for Vilma was correct and that future course the NFL is on a path to even more severe changes...Possibly distinction...That's the most dire outcome, but this is serious.

I've said it before...I don't envy these superstars, but even moreso those in the NFL that have apparent problems when leaving the game. It's just not worth it, man.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

With the Saints fines being handed down and the passing of Seau, it all leads me to the thought that the penalty for Vilma was correct

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

With the Saints fines being handed down and the passing of Seau, it all leads me to the thought that the penalty for Vilma was correct
Word. Some people actually defended what the Saints did just because "its common." Well, it needs to stop being common. I applaud Goodell for putting his foot down. This needs to stop. Too many lives are affected just for peoples entertainment.
Whats happening to the Seau family right now is heartbreaking and should not be happening. Truly sad. 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by LiCeNseD To BaLL

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Word. Some people actually defended what the Saints did just because "its common." Well, it needs to stop being common. I applaud Goodell for putting his foot down. This needs to stop. Too many lives are affected just for peoples entertainment.
Whats happening to the Seau family right now is heartbreaking and should not be happening. Truly sad. 
tired.gif
all this

i honestly didnt know the seriousness behind it till i got a concussion, its been a month and i still get headaches and random dizziness

All these studies just came out so I don't see how you can prove that the NFL knew the dangers of concussions. I don't see how this lawsuit works in real life.

Ray Lucas was on local radio out here in Oregon today and said that at one point he was taking 800 pain pills a month to get thru the pain from the game. 
eek.gif
sick.gif

Not necessarily has to do with concussions specifically, but the toll these players take is going to start showing up even more in the coming years as players that WE grew up watching start passing away or doing what Junior Seau did today.  Pretty sobering. 
tired.gif

It's being said the NFL knew about the effects of concussions specifically Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) for decades & only shared the information starting June/July 2010. I'm a huge Steelers fan & was watching the Browns game last year when Colt McCoy got hit. I was absolutely shocked & horrified the Browns put him back in after 2-3 play...

I think you're going to see the NFL try to aviod the lawsuits currently pending & settle. I think there is too much overwhelming evidence. There are just under 2,000 players currently suing the league with more to follow.

It's the name of the game though... Players know the risks when they start but I don't see anyone walking away from the game BEFORE they get hurt.

As messed up as it might be, they're our modern day Gladiators with the difference being they make more $$$ than all of us and do it by choice.

Wheres the middle ground really?

Originally Posted by badboyf0life420

But how come we never hear anything about hockey players?

It's probably just as pyshical as football.

Do some searching and youll find plenty on Hockey... Its just not as mainstream as NFL... Nothing is.

fraij da 5 11 wrote:
It's the name of the game though... Players know the risks when they start but I don't see anyone walking away from the game BEFORE they get hurt.

As messed up as it might be, they're our modern day Gladiators with the difference being they make more $$$ than all of us and do it by choice.

But that's the thing, I don't think the players know any better because as they were coming up, they weren't told how serious it is. These guys think they're invincible & don't realize how fragile they've become until they stop playing. 

In addition to CTE, players have to worry about addiction to pain meds/opiates. Check out this link. It's heartbreaking. There's also another problem currently in the NFL with the use of Toradol. Players are getting shot up with this but there is strong risks of joint destruction along with damage to the stomach, liver, & kidneys.

HBO Sports did a feature on this & interviewed Brian Urlacher who said he's used Toradol a lot. Urlacher even compared the shop to getting a flu shot. The NFL & teams know about the dangers of  this pain med yet continue to use it. Here's a link to a promo for the story they did.

Here's a great article from the Chicago Tribune on the Toradol story...Link to original story here.

Bears' Urlacher admits he uses painkiller Toradol

Told it can cause kidney failure, he said he'd still use drug

January 23, 2012|By Dan Pompei, Chicago Tribune reporter

Beating the Vikings in the season finale isn't the only thing that made the pain go away for Brian Urlacher

The Bears middle linebacker acknowledged he uses the painkiller Toradol in the latest edition of "Real Sports" on HBO.

"You drop your pants, you get the alcohol, they give you a shot, put the Band-Aid on, you go out and play," Urlacher told interviewer Andrea Kremer. "Not that big of a deal."

Urlacher compared it to getting a flu shot, but Kremer's report pointed out there can be serious consequences from taking the drug, including kidney failure and gastrointestinal bleeding. Urlacher said he had been unaware of the possible consequences, but when he was told about them, he said he would still take the drug.

"First of all we love football," Urlacher said. "We want to be on the field as much as we can be. If we can be out there, it may be stupid, it may be dumb, call me dumb and stupid then because I want to be on the football field."

Urlacher also said he would not admit to team medical personnel if he thought he had suffered a concussion.

"If I have a concussion these days, I'm going to say something happened to my toe or knee just to get my bearings for a few plays," he said. "I'm not going to sit in there and say I got a concussion, I can't go in there the rest of the game."

Toradol is legal and nonaddictive and administered by team doctors in the NFL. Developed as a post-surgical drug, it is not a narcotic and is used to reduce inflammation and pain. It does not mask pain.

NFL teams like it because it is fast-acting and leaves the system quickly. It is available through injection or pill form.

Former NFL center Jeremy Newberry said he would sometimes see 20 or 30 players lined up before a game to get a shot of the drug. Another NFL source said that figure was exaggerated.

Newberry said Toradol "makes you feel like Superman for three hours," but the 35-year-old now is suffering from Stage 3 kidney failure that doctors attribute to Toradol.

"I think they're playing Russian roulette basically," Pierce Scranton, former Seahawks team doctor, told Kremer. "You are describing a patient population of football players who on a chronic basis are using Toradal just to play, and that's outside of the FDA guideline. In essence that would be construed as off label and not used for what its intended use was."

The Bears typically do not inject players with Toradol before every game. Rather, it is prescribed as needed. Not all players are candidates for the drug because of pre-existing medical conditions such as stomach, kidney or liver problems.

Use and administration of the drug is under the jurisdiction of team physicians.

Urlacher did not respond to a message from the Tribune about his comments.

Originally Posted by psk2310

fraij da 5 11 wrote:

But that's the thing, I don't think the players know any better because as they were coming up, they weren't told how serious it is. These guys think they're invincible & don't realize how fragile they've become until they stop playing. 

In addition to CTE, players have to worry about addiction to pain meds/opiates. Check out this link. It's heartbreaking. There's also another problem currently in the NFL with the use of Toradol. Players are getting shot up with this but there is strong risks of joint destruction along with damage to the stomach, liver, & kidneys.

HBO Sports did a feature on this & interviewed Brian Urlacher who said he's used Toradol a lot. Urlacher even compared the shop to getting a flu shot. The NFL & teams know about the dangers of  this pain med yet continue to use it. Here's a link to a promo for the story they did.

Aaron Rodgers for instance has had 2 concussions already... Hes wearing a different helmet because of it and has even talked about it as far as thinking about whether or not it's worth it and at what point do you give up the game to prevent long term affects.

It's obvious he knows the dangers, hes an extremely smart guy and he could retire today and be set for life.  If in the first game of this year, he gets a helmet to helmet and is concussed again to the point where he has brain damage, who's fault is that? IMO its his.

IMO its silly to really think that these guys really don't know any better. 

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by badboyf0life420

But how come we never hear anything about hockey players?

It's probably just as pyshical as football.

Do some searching and youll find plenty on Hockey... Its just not as mainstream as NFL... Nothing is.
yeah...HUGE growing problem in hockey right now. EVERY team is dealing with players who are missing time due to concussions now that awareness is at an all time high.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

fraij da 5 11 wrote:

Aaron Rodgers for instance has had 2 concussions already... Hes wearing a different helmet because of it and has even talked about it as far as thinking about whether or not it's worth it and at what point do you give up the game to prevent long term affects.

It's obvious he knows the dangers, hes an extremely smart guy and he could retire today and be set for life.  If in the first game of this year, he gets a helmet to helmet and is concussed again to the point where he has brain damage, who's fault is that? IMO its his.

IMO its silly to really think that these guys really don't know any better. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636795

I'd personally smack the mess out of Elliot Pellman if I every met him...He should not be allowed to practice medicine much less be involved in sports.

everyone already knows its a physical sport and its always going to be a physical sport, just like its always going to be a competitive sport

there is no perfect middle ground, but just because there isnt one doesnt mean they should just stop where theyre at instead of continuing to find new ways to make the game safer while maintaining its competitive nature

theres always going to be new ways to make the game a little less "unsafe"

With all of this new info on concussions, I could definitely see more two sports athletes that play football, and baseball lean more towards baseball in the future

Just saw this feature on ESPN the other night & found it very interesting....Yuku won't let me embedd the vid so below is the link....Features Jamal Lewis & Dorsey Levens who ae part of the 1200 ex players suing the leagure....

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7536645
Saw this a few weeks ago, def didn't know Lewis had that many concussions, Son was forgetting stuff during the actual interview

Originally Posted by az5950

Just saw this feature on ESPN the other night & found it very interesting....Yuku won't let me embedd the vid so below is the link....Features Jamal Lewis & Dorsey Levens who ae part of the 1200 ex players suing the leagure....

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7536645
Saw this a few weeks ago, def didn't know Lewis had that many concussions, Son was forgetting stuff during the actual interview

Back
Top Bottom