Computer Heads, i need help!

I have a HP laptop that i got about 2 years ago. Recently, the wireless internet has been going awol on me for the past week or so. It started off losingconnection about 2 weeks ago and it would be completely random. One minute i would be online, and then the next, it would have the red x on the bottom right. Iwould then have to restart or shutdown my computer 3-4 times in order to get it to work again. Then just a couple days ago, i has completely stopped workingfor me. Restarting the comp doesnt help anymore, and even tho the wireless button is blue, it still shows up as X and there are no networks to connect to. Iknow its not my router or anything, because the same thing is happening to my roommates laptop which is also a HP. I went online to look for some help, andpeople said to download the updated drivers for HP wireless assistant and stuff. I tried that, but it doesnt work. So i tried giving HP tech support a call,and found out my warranty is over. I really have come to a dead end and dont know where to go from here. You guys are my last hope before i decide to go to HPand have to pay them to get it fixed, which i dont really want. Ive also read that these HP laptops have a tendency to do this with their wireless internet andthere is a TSB out, but neither of our laptop models are included in it. So we are #%+* out of luck
frown.gif
. Sorry for it being so long, but any help would beappreciated. Thanks.

i dont remember, but it doesnt tell me anything. i think the problem is beyond simple trouble shooting. People have been sending in their laptops to get theirmotherboards replaced and !$%* for this problem. its just that my warranty is over, and im hoping there is a simpler way to fix it.

Originally Posted by silentxnight

I have a HP laptop that i got about 2 years ago. Recently, the wireless internet has been going awol on me for the past week or so. It started off losing connection about 2 weeks ago and it would be completely random. One minute i would be online, and then the next, it would have the red x on the bottom right. I would then have to restart or shutdown my computer 3-4 times in order to get it to work again. Then just a couple days ago, i has completely stopped working for me. Restarting the comp doesnt help anymore, and even tho the wireless button is blue, it still shows up as X and there are no networks to connect to. I know its not my router or anything, because the same thing is happening to my roommates laptop which is also a HP. I went online to look for some help, and people said to download the updated drivers for HP wireless assistant and stuff. I tried that, but it doesnt work. So i tried giving HP tech support a call, and found out my warranty is over. I really have come to a dead end and dont know where to go from here. You guys are my last hope before i decide to go to HP and have to pay them to get it fixed, which i dont really want. Ive also read that these HP laptops have a tendency to do this with their wireless internet and there is a TSB out, but neither of our laptop models are included in it. So we are #%+* out of luck
frown.gif
. Sorry for it being so long, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

That doesn't make sense. If it's happening to both of your laptops, the only common point IS the router.

Haha.. yeah, I read that sentence again, and maybe it is your router o_o

Try a wired connection to your router.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

I have a HP laptop that i got about 2 years ago. Recently, the wireless internet has been going awol on me for the past week or so. It started off losing connection about 2 weeks ago and it would be completely random. One minute i would be online, and then the next, it would have the red x on the bottom right. I would then have to restart or shutdown my computer 3-4 times in order to get it to work again. Then just a couple days ago, i has completely stopped working for me. Restarting the comp doesnt help anymore, and even tho the wireless button is blue, it still shows up as X and there are no networks to connect to. I know its not my router or anything, because the same thing is happening to my roommates laptop which is also a HP. I went online to look for some help, and people said to download the updated drivers for HP wireless assistant and stuff. I tried that, but it doesnt work. So i tried giving HP tech support a call, and found out my warranty is over. I really have come to a dead end and dont know where to go from here. You guys are my last hope before i decide to go to HP and have to pay them to get it fixed, which i dont really want. Ive also read that these HP laptops have a tendency to do this with their wireless internet and there is a TSB out, but neither of our laptop models are included in it. So we are #%+* out of luck
frown.gif

That doesn't make sense. If it's happening to both of your laptops, the only common point IS the router.

Same thing I was thinking. Routers tend to do that now and then so you can buy new ones
happy.gif
....................You can try to fix the problem by going into your routerthrough its IP. It could also be that your ISP isnt reading your routers ISP , because the comp your ISP was set up on doesnt have the same IP adress as yourrouter.

My router got sporadic for a couple of weeks before it died.

Definitely worth checking that first.

You could also try your laptop somewhere else - the library or Starbucks or something to see if it happens there.

Originally Posted by IICEMAN83

Originally Posted by Bastitch

frown.gif

Same thing I was thinking. Routers tend to do that now and then so you can buy new ones
happy.gif
....................You can try to fix the problem by going into your router through its IP. It could also be that your ISP isnt reading your routers ISP , because the comp your ISP was set up on doesnt have the same IP adress as your router.

Nope and Nope. I bring my laptop to school. I see everyone else connected to the internet just fine, but i still cannot. i know for a fact its not our routerbecause his started breaking about a week before mine. My other roommate also has an HP, and her's is still working fine. The desktop i have at home whichi am on right now is also connected wirelessly, so its not the router. I wish it was
frown.gif

it might be your router. i had the same problem with my ipod touch not finding my router a d-link. you might have to update your router firmware to fix theproblem

Back
Top Bottom