College students protesting "racist" Halloween costumes vol. C'mon man

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

IDK IF IT'S BC YOU'RE FROM BOSTON THAT YOU DONT UNDERSTAND.

images
laugh.gif

but at all ya'll saying its a-ok because of a holiday, do wat u do
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

LOOK UP THE MOVIE TRAILER I POSTED OR IF YOU HAVE ACCES WATCH THE VID.

OR AT LEAST GOOGLE RACIAL IDENTITY STAGES BY SUE AND SUE.
Pot.Kettle.Black

laugh.gif

Talk about prejudice.
THE HELL YOU TALKING ABOUT????
THAT WAS A COMPLIMENT. BOSTON... MASS IS ACTUALLY A VERY LIBERAL AND ACCEPTING STATE. MOST NORTHERN STATES ARE.

DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

LOOK UP THE MOVIE TRAILER I POSTED OR IF YOU HAVE ACCES WATCH THE VID.

OR AT LEAST GOOGLE RACIAL IDENTITY STAGES BY SUE AND SUE.
Pot.Kettle.Black

laugh.gif

Talk about prejudice.
THE HELL YOU TALKING ABOUT????
THAT WAS A COMPLIMENT. BOSTON... MASS IS ACTUALLY A VERY LIBERAL AND ACCEPTING STATE. MOST NORTHERN STATES ARE.

DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
you obviously never been to Boston. Its very segregated city. Charlestown and South Boston dont like Black people. 
But what you mean by he from Boston he wont understand? go more into detail.

a geisha is like a ninja.

they are outfits worn by people in particular professions.

its like putting on a construction worker suit.....or a superman outfit.....

that argument is beyond dead.

dont mention it again.

THE STATE OF MASS IN MY OPINION IS PRETTY LIBERAL. SO HE MAY NOT UNDERSTAND THE INTENSITY OF THE UNDERTONES THESE COSTUMES PORTRAY BC HE IS FROM AN ACCEPTING PART OF THE COUNTRY.

I've yet to see someone dress as a "black". I don't go to costume partys and ask what are you suppose to be and get replies like "mexican" "black" "Asian" like yall sound foolish. This is where you reach middle ground as I said. When you see a kid in black face, dreads, styrafoam cup, and he slurring his words mumbling around and %#!@. You gonna take that as him saying black people are too dumb to speak properly, or are you gonna take it that his costume is lil wayne and that is his perception of that person (which is accurate). I can't say I often see blatantly racist costumes, yeah some people get carried away but the offensive %#!@ isn't openly accepted. Yall acting like dudes are running around dressed as slaves and everyone is laughing about it. Keyword is costume, halloween is a day when people put on make up to change their appearance, men dress as women, and people do out of the ordinary %#!@ because it suits the event. A man dressing as a women isn't poking fun at ******s, it's a costume. Same goes for a person wearing make up to darken their face and look more like whoever they are trying to look like. It's halloween, the one day you can be anyone or anything you wanna be, and just go out and have fun. You PC dudes ruin everything, reaching #%% lames smh

THE STATE OF MASS IN MY OPINION IS PRETTY LIBERAL. SO HE MAY NOT UNDERSTAND THE INTENSITY OF THE UNDERTONES THESE COSTUMES PORTRAY BC HE IS FROM AN ACCEPTING PART OF THE COUNTRY.
I misunderstood you then. Based on what I've heard from people outside my city, they believe Boston remains in a state similar to the desegregation busing days
laugh.gif

NAH MAN, DESPITE MY HATE FOR EVERY BOSTON SPORTS TEAM, I HAVE QUITE A BIT OF RESPECT FOR MY BOSTONIAN PPL.

LMAO PLUS U BROUGHT THE LULZ IN THE RAY ALLEN XIII THREAD OVER THE SUMMER

Originally Posted by Method Man

This is ignorant as hell.

It's kind of sad that, in 2011, kids find racism hilarious because it's "forbidden fruit."  I'd like to think that those with even the most basic understanding of the historical - or even the present day - ramifications of such stereotypes would have the good sense/common decency to do better than this.

All of you calling people "soft" for objecting to this have no idea what "soft" means.  "Soft" is bending your back and allowing others to step on you.   "Soft" is looking the other way at wrongdoing rather than putting yourself on the line in defense of yourself and others.  "Soft" is demonstrating a lack of self-respect to be "liked."  "Soft" is rolling over.   "Soft" is going with the flow because you're too weak or too lazy to go against the current.

For anyone who would even dream about telling me to "grow a pair" for being indignant about blackface/racist Halloween costumes, I would suggest that you grow a spine first.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-compton-cookout,0,2673438.story
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/08/AR2007110802165.html

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/11/02/15918761.html
THAT. AAAALLLLL'A THAT. 

Thank you Meth

Originally Posted by Swish 22

maybe I want to dress like him as a way to show love for his music, but I am a white person and it would look less realistic/really dumb as a pale white person attempting to pull off a Lil Wayne costume. 

The thing is that you don’t look more realistic. You don’t look more like him because you have on blackface and to anyone who is offended by blackface, you just look like a racist in blackface. If someone couldn’t tell you’re dressed as Wayne before the the blackface, especially with all his other unique aesthetic attributes and current popularity, then the blackface isn’t going to clue them in. So what you really have, with the addition of blackface, is an increase in the offensiveness of your costume. With that in mind, a person cant claim it’s an ‘innocent’ enhancement in the realism department.
This whole notion that blackface adds to the authenticity of a costume is ridiculous, and incorrect in most cases. Think about these Halloween blackface costumes we’ve seen over the years. They’re usually crudely done, that is to say it’s obvious Tropic Thunder’s makeup team wasn’t involved. At least look Black if you want to use the argument that it enhances the costume. I’m sorry, but I cant accept this argument if you take a sharpie to your face.

I don’t think I fall into your ‘offended people’ category, but I think it’s a terrible/stupid costume. If I gave you a hundred guesses, would you ever think of Justin Timberlake?

besides...well in my opinion, if you wanna dress up as someone specific, you dont have to go as far as painting your face white/black/brown/yellow. if the costume is good, people will know.

what's the difference between these costumes and a bunch of predominantly white fraternities hosting a "Compton Cookout" or a "ghetto"-themed party? correct me if i'm wrong, but a lot of you cats talking about "soft"-this and "extra sensitive"-that were probably some of the same individuals who were irate about the idea of a "Compton Cookout."

on another note, when did generalizing, stereotyping, and/or appropriating become acceptable behavior?

They're just costumes folks. They dress that way to get a cheap laugh. I highly doubt that they woke up that morning with the intent of mocking the history of the specific character they are dressing as. They are not thinking that deep into it. You really think a person dressed as a Geisha is leaving their house with the intent to make a mockery of the history of the Geisha? No they are just simply going out in an Asian costume, nothing more nothing less. The offended party is the one that is "looking to deep into it". Seems these days everybody wants a piece of the political correctness pie. This is the definition of over sensitive

Back
Top Bottom