College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Walking down Curtin Road on a Penn State campus just beginning to clog with football fans,the proud alum practically spun around on his heel as he grabbed his wife and daughter, and yelled:

"Hey, what's your name?''

"Jamelle,'' the student replied.

"Right," the alum grinned with knowing satisfaction. "Good luck tomorrow againstIllinois.''
roll.gif

Jamelle Cornley shrugged and smiled.

[+] http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3630573&story=3630400','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">Enlarge
http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3630573&story=3630400','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">
ncb_jamelle_cornley_200.jpg

Mark Selders

Senior forward Jamelle Cornley went to Penn State in part to help change the state of the basketball program.
If four years in Happy Valley has done anything, it has inured to the anonymity of Penn State men's basketball. Playing literally in the shadows ofthe nearly 110,000-seat beast that is Beaver Stadium, the Nittany Lions who play hoops have long suffered as second-class citizens.
While powerhouse football and basketball happily coexist on other campuses -- Texas, Oklahoma, Florida to name a few -- State College is all about gridirongluttony. The tiny town swells to the third-largest metropolis in the state on home football weekends, with fans happily reserving $300-a-night hotel rooms ayear in advance.

Even in the lean years, from 2000 to 2004, when the Lions suffered four losing seasons in five years and people called for the head of long-deified JoePaterno, the fans still came. Beaver Stadium's average attendance for the season dipped below capacity in 2003 and 2004 when Penn State was 3-9 and 4-7,respectively. Of course, below capacity meant 105,629 and 103,111 on average, off the sellout mark of 107,282.

In four years, Cornley has never played in front of a home sellout crowd.

"If we could just get a quarter of what they have -- wow," the forward said, nodding to the stadium in the distance.

It would seem easy enough: major university, big-time conference, captive audience, deep-pocketed and rabidly loyal alums. Yet the Lions haven'tfinished with a winning season since 2001 and have been to the NCAA tournament just twice in the past 17 years.

Were it not for the chronic futility of Northwestern hoops, Penn State would own the Big Ten basement.

"If I had the answer, we would have fixed it by now," athletic director Tim Curley said. "I can't pinpoint why it hasn't happened. Wehave all the pieces to be successful. I think we're close -- very, very close.''

But building a basketball program alongside one as firmly entrenched as Penn State football only makes the job more difficult. It's not just aboutdiagramming a decent offense.

It's about changing a culture, about convincing outsiders and even insiders that Penn State isn't just a football school.

It's a task that on many days seems almost Sisyphusian.

In the midst of a football tailgate, a fan asked what brought ESPN.com to town. Told it was for a basketball story, the fan (a card-carrying alum) scrunchedup his face and asked, "Why?"

Three years ago, a professor giddily accosted Cornley outside of the student center. It was the Monday after a big football game and the professorpractically shouted in Cornley's face.

"He said, 'I saw that play you made when you ran across the field. I told my son you're my new favorite player. How's the knee?''Cornley remembered. "I kept thinking, 'Who does he think I am?' That night I got an e-mail. He apologized to me. He thought I was JeromeHayes.

"Sure, it bothers me,'' he continued. "Everyone wants their own identity.''

If Beaver Stadium is the house that Joe built, the Lasch Building is the coach's ivory tower.

It is a building in homage to a team that owns a campus, a football-only complex that includes a practice field, a 13,000-square-foot weight room, a videoroom sweeter than your neighborhood Cineplex, a players' lounge complete with leather sofas and pool tables and, of course, a spacious office for the manwhose craggy face long has personified the university.

When Ed DeChellis, an alum and former assistant, returned to Penn State as head basketball coach five years ago, he and his coaches shared a1,600-square-foot space tucked in a nondescript corner of the Bryce Jordan Center. There were no pictures or artwork telling you that this was the basketballsection of the building, just prison-cell-cinderblock white walls leading to a space just down the hall from the softball team.

With no designated spaces, coaches stuffed envelopes in the hallway and broke down film in a space akin to a small walk-in closet. Without a video room orplayer lounge, the team watched film in the locker room.

The team had its own private practice court, a bright and airy space that looked like it could have been at the local Y. Neither the floor nor the wallswere painted with Penn State logos.

The whole thing screamed afterthought.

"You take them over to see Coach [Paterno] and it was, 'Wow,'" said DeChellis, who frequently bypassed his own office space when givingrecruits campus tours. "Then you brought kids here and it cemented the image you knew the other teams were giving kids -- 'Don't go to Penn State.They don't care about basketball.' That's exactly how it looked."

DeChellis didn't fault the administration. It wasn't that no one cared. It's simply that before him, no one asked. There was no alumni championof college basketball arguing that the team needed upgrades, no one on the previous coaching staffs begging for renovations in a building built only in1996.

Heck, the team didn't even have a director of basketball operations or video coordinator on staff.

But to DeChellis, the insufficient facilities only compounded what was already an uphill battle.

Of the Big 10 schools, five have national championship trophies in their cases. Indiana lays claim to eight Final Four appearances, Michigan State six.

Tradition for Nittany Lions basketball begins with its 1954 Final Four appearance, blips through two quick tourney appearances in 1955 and 1965, and endures26 lean years until a stunning first-round upset of UCLA in 1991, followed by a crash-and-burn first-round loss as a No. 5 seed in 1996, and finally theunexpected Sweet 16 finish in 2001.

dropQuote.gif
[h3]I ask recruits all the time, 'Do you have the mental toughness for this?'
dropQuoteEnd.gif
[/h3]
--Jamelle Cornley
So when you can't counter tradition with the excesses of modernity, what can you offer? The answer at least partiallyexplains the preponderance of lean years.
"It sends a message about the commitment to the program," Curley said. "It's the visual that recruits get to see that shows you'recommitted and willing to stay up with the changing times, that you're committed to giving your coaches and student-athletes everything they need tomaximize themselves and their experience."

Three years ago, Penn State redid the locker room, replacing the cheesy, pressed-wood lockers with cherry wood, converting an unused space into a loungecomplete with flat-screen TVs, and carving a video room in what was previously a visiting locker room.

And the last weekend in September, DeChellis and his staff moved into 4,000 square feet of office spaces that include a kitchenette, mailing/copying/faxingcenter, private conference room and separate area to host recruits.

The office space anchors what is now a Penn State basketball wing (the women's team has the same space in the building).

DeChellis believes the upgrades have helped the Lions lure players who otherwise wouldn't have visited, let alone committed. Sophomore point guard TalorBattle was ranked among the top 100 recruits coming out of high school, and Louisville native Jeff Brooks was a Mr. Basketball finalist in Kentucky as well asanother top-100 player.

"People used to ask me, 'What have you been doing?'" DeChellis said. "This is what I've been doing. I finally feel like we'reon an even playing field.''

It's 11:30 a.m. on the Saturday of the Illinois game. Kickoff is still eight-plus hours away.

All around Beaver Stadium is bedlam. Fans dressed in everything from Penn State Hawaiian shirts to Joe Paterno masks (which are as frightening as theysound) teeter on the edge of sobriety in the parking lots on the East end of campus.

A few wander inside the All-Sports Museum attached to the stadium, where DeChellis is seated at a table for a radio chat. No one gives more than a passingglance toward him.

[+] http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3630611&story=3630400','Popup','width=640,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">Enlarge
http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3630611&story=3630400','Popup','width=640,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">
ncb_u_dechellis_300.jpg

Chris Gardner/US Presswire

Ed DeChellis' record at PSU isn't great, but he's hoping to turn the program around with behind-the-scenes changes.
Five hours later, it's much the same inside the Jordan Center when the team plays a pickup game/scrimmage before TailGreat, the pregame traditionfeaturing the Penn State Blue Band and cheerleaders.
There are people in the stands, but outside of a pair of rowdy students in goofy wigs who hoot and holler for big dunks, no one makes much noise. Some readthe newspaper while others wander to the end-line area to play putting contests for prizes.

The average age is well on the high side of 40, with few young alums or students choosing to abandon their tailgates.

It would be insulting were it not for the cold reality of the situation: For there to be juice, there needs to be something to get juiced about, and theLions simply haven't supplied it.

Penn State finished 15-16 last season and 7-11 in the Big Ten, its best conference finish in eight years despite losing its best player, Geary Claxton, to atorn ACL.

But aside from an NIT run and 15-15 finish in 2006, there hasn't been much to celebrate. In 2007, the Lions lost 14 of their final 15; in 2005, theirlast 12. The surprise Sweet 16 run of 2001 was followed up by consecutive 7-21 seasons.

"I used to ask myself, 'Would I come? Would I give up my night and come to watch a team lose by 30?' That's no fun," Cornley said.

Cornley knew what he was getting into when he signed with Penn State. He grew up in Columbus, Ohio, another town that you might say has a decent collegefootball following.

He knew his team would be the understudy to a high-voltage star and that he'd swallow a lot of pride before ever getting the chance to puff out hischest.

"I ask recruits all the time, 'Do you have the mental toughness for this?'" Cornley said. "There's always the football issue.You've got guys on that team, not many but some, that walk around with the [Superman] 'S' on the chest and they don't even play. But peopledon't care. They're football players."

So why bother? Why did Cornley take all of this on?

He came, in part, because the Lions wanted him -- many teams weren't willing to take a flyer on a 6-foot-5 undersized power forward -- but more becausehe wanted to change things.

Cornley wanted to be the guy who turned the team around, who made Penn State basketball resonate as loudly as Penn State football.

There are days, of course, when he feels like he's pounding his head against a ceiling that's as hard as the steel that makes up Beaver Stadium.

But at the end of each day is the tantalizing dream that keeps him going. Cornley sees himself in the waning seconds of the Big Ten tournament championshipas the final clocks tick off and Penn State begins to celebrate. The cameras find him on the court crying tears of joy.

A year later, Cornley is playing professionally somewhere. It's Selection Sunday, and once again Penn State's name is on the screen. The Lions areno longer a one-hit wonder.

They're rolling, rolling out irrelevance and squeezing into the spotlight.

"I'm getting goose bumps thinking about it," Cornley grinned. "Sure, it all can be frustrating. We get up at 6 a.m. We practice just ashard. We work just as hard. You fight through injuries and people say, 'Penn State is a football school.' But we're the only ones who can changethat.

"I think we're close. Very close."

Dana O'Neil covers college football for ESPN.com and can be reached at [email protected].

Jamelle Cornley was a flat out beast in high school. He went to the same high school in Ohio that Drew Lavender and Brandon Foust came out of. He's puttingtogether a nice career at PSU also.

Nate Lubick to G'Town
pimp.gif

A white kid I can mess with, finishes at the rim and can step outside. Best player in New England, gona have to make a trip to Worcester to see him this year

Lose out on Josh and Thornton and pick up Starks and Lubick
pimp.gif

Video

Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting

Talk about it in the Message Boards
Working with a list of four schools, four-star 2010 prospect NateLubick settled on a Big East power where he feels he can maximize his talents.

[table][tr][td]
NATELUBICK9_2200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Lubick is looking forward to being a Hoya.[/td] [/tr][/table]The 6-foot-8, 227-pound power forward from Southborough (Mass.) St. Mark's High School has picked Georgetown over Michigan,Stanford and Virginia.

"I mean the school speaks for itself," said Lubick. "The academics are top of the line. The basketball program is outstanding. D.C. is the mostpowerful city in the world.

"Coach Thompson is a classy guy and a helluva coach. And (Assistant) Coach Hunter is terrific. I grew really close to him, and he is also a close friendto (New England Playaz coach) John Carroll who I'm close to."

A skilled big man who can operate effectively both around the basket and on the perimeter, Lubick is now ready to further expand his game for a Georgetownsystem in which he feels he can thrive.

"It feels good right now because I know I made the right decision," he said. "I'm going to work even harder now.

"The Georgetown system is a great fit for me. The coaches appreciate the way I pass the ball and have the ability to play like a guard. They feel I playsort of like a coach on the floor. They'll be able to run a lot of stuff through me and will use me to step out and shoot the ball and post up. The mainthing is to play smart which comes natural to me."

Lubick, the No. 62 ranked prospect and No. 17 ranked power forward in the class of 2010, joins fellow four-star prospect Markel Starks as Georgetown's two commitments from the class of 2010.

Haha I was just about to post this for you. I saw the kid playing in Cincy in July at the it takes 5ive tournament and he had a nasty dunk. I came away reallyimpressed with his game, very athletic.

Shame on you Allen for getting my hopes up after seeing that article on Ros and Duke
smh.gif

Wojo's the main recruiter huh? That's why we were in a slump... K needs to show his face early and often in Baltimore.

The original complaint against UConn freshman Nate Mileswas dismissed Monday and now Miles is hopeful of a potential return to the Big East school.
The Journal Inquirer of Connecticut reported that neither Milesnor the woman who filed the complaint appeared in Vernon Superior Court Monday when the case was called.

Miles was expelled from UConn last Thursday and will have the criminal case continued Nov. 25. Thecharges could be dropped if Miles gets counseling. Miles, who returned home to Toledo, Ohio, has until Thursday to file an appeal with UConn.

"That was his dream to play at UConn," Miles' legal guardian SeanPatterson told the journal Inquirer. "He doesn't want to go anywhere else."

tired.gif
laugh.gif

Dom Cheek cut his list..

I just got off the phone with St. Anthony associate head coach Ben Gamble and here's the deal: Wake Forest , Tennessee and UConn havebeen eliminated from Cheek's list.
He plans to visit Kansas, Memphis, Indiana, Villanova and Pittsburgh, and Seton Hall and Rutgers are still in the mixfor potential unofficial visits.

As much as I hate Boston College, their students and athletic programs, why can't Al Skinner get kids like Nate Lubick? At least Jimmy O'Brien waswilling to pay for talent.
wait A WHITE BOY TO GTOWN??

JTIII certainly aint invited to Thanksgiving dinner this year.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Barring injury....

Steph is a 1st team AA selection this year.
he'd have to place himself out of it with the media love he has and the conference he plays in.

[table][tr][td]
Head coach: Ben Howland.
Last season: 35-4 overall, 16-2 in the Pac-10.
Postseason: Earned automatic bid to NCAA tournament. Lost 78-63 to Memphis in national semifinals.[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Breakdown: Probable starters | Backcourt | Frontcourt | Offense | Defense | Outlook[/td] [/tr][/table]
http://

Backcourt

Despite losing guard Russell Westbrook, who was taken with the fourth overall pick in the NBA draft, the Bruins look even better on the perimeter. Theyreturn two senior guards who were vital pieces on the past two Final Four teams, get back a good outside shooter who missed nearly all of last season and addthree freshman guards who ranked among the nation's top-50 prospects.

conhead_ataglance_30.jpg

0404-UCLADARRENCOLLISON_250.JPG
[size=-2]Darren Collison is UCLA's leading returning scorer and one of the nation's top guards.[/size]

[table][tr][td]PROBABLE STARTING FIVE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Darren Collison, 6-1/Sr.
14.5 ppg, 3.8 apg, 52.5 percent 3-pt[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Jrue Holiday, 6-3/Fr.
True freshman[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Josh Shipp, 6-5/Sr.
12.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F James Keefe, 6-8/Jr.
2.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C Alfred Aboya, 6-8/Sr.
2.9 ppg, 2.2 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TOP RESERVES[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Malcolm Lee, 6-4, Fr.
True freshman[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C J'Mison Morgan, 6-10, Fr.
True freshman[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Michael Roll, 6-5, Sr.
2.8 ppg[/td] [/tr][/table]
The return of speedy point guard Darren Collison and versatile wing Josh Shipp has to put coach Ben Howland at ease. With those two in the starting lineup the past two seasons, the Bruinsare 65-10.
Collison is a good distributor, a disruptive force on defense and has a knack for knocking down clutch 3-pointers. He shot 52.5 percent (53-of-101) from3-point range last season. Collison did struggle at times in the NCAA tournament, getting outplayed by Western Kentucky's Tyrone Brazelton in a Sweet 16win over the Hilltoppers and going 1-of-9 in the loss to Memphis in the national semifinals. He must be steadier in the postseason if the Bruins are going toget back to the Final Four.

Shipp can do a little bit of everything and has a great feel for the game. Shipp moved to the outside more last season to help replace Arron Afflalo'sshooting and jacked up 216 3-pointers, which was nearly as many (222) as he took in his previous two full seasons combined (he missed most of 2005-06 with ahip injury). The problem was that Shipp made only 70, which computes to 32.4 percent. He needs to be a little less trigger-happy and a little moreaccurate.

There are enormous expectations surrounding five-star recruit JrueHoliday, who will slide into Westbrook's starting spot immediately. The No. 2 prospect in the freshman class, Holiday has the same kind of physicaltools as Westbrook. Both are fast and explosive and can handle the ball or play on the wing. But Holiday is more polished at this stage and a better outsideshooter. He'll be a major part of the offense from Day One and should average well into double figures.

Freshmen Jerime Anderson (No. 37) and Malcolm Lee (No. 40) are capable of contributing. Both are long andathletic and wreak havoc on defense, making them ideal fits for UCLA's style of play.

Senior Michael Roll will be part of the rotation again after being limited tosix games last season by a foot injury. A good shooter who is dangerous from the 3-point line or the mid-range area, Roll should provide a nice complement tothe other guards.

Frontcourt

The loss of Kevin Love (the fifth overall pick in the NBA draft) alone would have left the Bruins with some giant holes and questions on the inside. But hewouldn't be nearly as tough to replace if Luc Richard Mbah a Moute hadn't unexpectedly left school early. Mbah a Moute, a three-year starter who becamea second-round pick, was the Bruins' second-best rebounder and their only other inside scoring threat.

That leaves the Bruins without a post player who averaged three points or even three rebounds. But there is good news. Howland and his staff pulled off oneof the biggest steals of the recruiting year by snagging five-star center J'Mison Morgan, who broke a commitment to LSU after the Tigers changedcoaches. The Bruins also signed four-star power forward DrewGordon.

Those two will join a frontcourt that returns two true post players with experience - senior Alfred Aboya and junior James Keefe. As a group, they have the potential to make the Bruins more than adequateinside.

Aboya has been a reliable role player the past three seasons, providing solid interior defense and hustle. Keefe saw his playing time increase down thestretch last season and turned in his best game in that Sweet 16 matchup with Western Kentucky, setting career highs in points (18) and boards (12).

Morgan is the X-factor. He has the size and athleticism to give the Bruins a huge inside presence. But it's uncertain whether the Bruins' big man ofthe future is ready to be that kind of player this quickly. How soon he develops will go a long way in deciding how far they advance in the NCAAtournament.

Gordon doesn't have Morgan's kind of upside, but he should earn some minutes early. His strengths are rebounding and shot-blocking.

Offense

Without the powerful Love patrolling the paint, pumping the ball inside won't be a priority anymore. The Bruins will move to a more perimeter-orientedattack. Collison and Holiday will be counted on to generate offense by attacking the basket off the dribble, and coaches could mix in some three-guardlineups.

[table][tr][td]
conhead_seasonlook_30.jpg
http://[/td] [/tr][tr][td]When you look at UCLA's depleted frontcourt, it's tough to envision the Bruins making what would be a remarkable fourth consecutive Final Four appearance. There are a ton of question marks on the inside. But it's important to remember that the Bruins didn't have a strong inside game when they reached the Final Four in 2006 and '07. It's also important to note that the Bruins have raised their overall talent level. They are welcoming a five-man class that includes five top-50 prospects. This team is loaded with future NBA players and has a good blend of veterans who know how to win and young players hungry to prove themselves. They also have a coach who excels at getting the most out of his team and winning in the postseason. That all translates into yet another Pac-10 title and another deep NCAA run. If the post players exceed expectations, winning a national title is a legitimate possibility.[/td] [/tr][/table]
Defense

Anybody wanting to know how to play physical, hard-nosed man-to-man defense needs to watch the Bruins. Nobody does it better. It's been the foundationof Howland's teams and that will not change.

Shoes to Fill

Love. The one-and-done phenom averaged 17.5 points and 10.6 rebounds on his way to capturing Pac-10 player of the year honors. But it'snot just his scoring and rebounding that will be missed. His extraordinary ability to fire long outlet passes generated a slew of easy baskets.

Must Step Up

Morgan. The Bruins are capable of going deep into the NCAA tournament, maybe even reaching the Final Four again, without Morgan. But ifthey are going to finally break through and win a national title, they need the big man to be a major factor.

Impact Newcomer

Holiday. This combo guard should be in the mix for national freshman honors. He has the talent of a future top-five pick and is joining ateam that needs him to play a big role from the start.

Bob McClellan is the college basketball editor for Rivals.com. He can be reached at [email protected].

I think Al Skinner is the Ty Willingham of college hoops. I just think he could care less about recruiting.

Back
Top Bottom