College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Did anyone comment on McNeal coming back to 'Quette?

James will still be a bum and that is no doubt McNeal's team now...so if James just fits in and picks his spots that is a real dangerous team.

Here's a big Duke is on for 2010...Josh Hairston...offers from G'Town, Maryland, Clemson, Ohio State, Virginia, Va Tech so far.

Not really a big man only 6'8 210...but versatile, would fit in with K's new system...

But umm....the same way Riley kinda seemed a GTown lock for a while...this kid kinda is the same at this point.

May 27, 2008 - Long standing Georgetown recruiting target, Class of 2010's Joshua Hairston is off to a potentially stunning travel team season, having aidedhis 16 and under DC Assault team to championships in the Playaz Spring Fling, PittsburghJam Fest, Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions, and DC Assault's own Take Your Best Shot (TYBS) events. Additionally, the team,coached by Zach Suber, reached the finals of the King James Tournament. Counting victories gained last summer, the squad has rolled to close to 60 wins withonly one defeat, the championship King James loss being the only setback.

[table][tr][td]
642403.jpg
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]i95Ballerz.com[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hairston's workouts, which include strength training, are producing obvious results.[/td] [/tr][/table]"I love playing with these guys. We play team basketball" shared Hairston on the Assault experience. Joshua also values the crew'sunselfish nature and defensive orientation.

Individually, Hairston has also thrived, being named all-tourney in several events, including the TYBS and Pittsburgh Jam Fest, whilecontinuing to attract a boatload of high major interest.

Between TYBS games, Hairston added Clemson to the list of schools that haveoffered a scholarship, a group of which Georgetown has long been situated. Other hoops heavies, including North Carolina and Duke have stepped up theirinterest as well.

With his many suitors and the importance of a person's college decision, Hairston was not able to supply a recruiting leader. Resultantlyhe and his family will evaluate his options until "the beginning of next school year", at which time a winner may be chosen.

Until then, expect Josh, who proudly exclaimed "I'm six-nine now" (and 210 pounds) when asked if he had grown recently, to continue diversifyinghis game; presently, he's been "lifting weights andshooting" including several hundred shots a day in an effort to extend his game to the perimeter: Hairston is ahalf court forward capable of banging down low, working offensively/defensively in the paint, plus filling lanes and finishing.

Suber, his DC Assault coach, sees the fruitsof Josh's labors, as he is now able to call isolation plays for his precocious frontcourt man, in addition to the young guy "showing a littleversatility in his game". This development should be furthered via Hairston's upcoming participation in the NBA Player's Association Top 100 Campand Nike's confab for freshman and sophomores.

Where does Josh seem himself playing in college? "The three (small forward) or four (power forward), it doesn't matter, whatever a coach needs me todo" he responded.

Just the type of player G'Town's coach, John Thompson IIIcovets; talented, unselfish, and capable of playing multiple positions.

Will he be a Hoya? Previously, Hairston shared the school's coaching staff, basketball tradition and proximity to his Fredericksburg, VA area home were allpositives for Georgetown. The stakes have been raised since then, but Josh still seemingly holds The Hilltop in high regard.

Stay tuned.

And somewhat good news is Chris Braswell will enroll summer 09...at least we'll get him at some point.

And at least you Plumlee looks decent for you guys...but will he develop?

[table][tr][td]Mason Plumlee, PF, Indiana Elite[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
MASONPLUMLEE1_23100.JPG
[/td] [td] TOC stats: 17.4 points per game (41st in the tournament)
The 6-foot-10 forward looked comfortable playing at Cameron Indoor Stadium, his future home for college. The big man worked the paint well.

He went to work against Kelly in the playoffs and carried Indiana Elite One to the next round of the playoffs. He scored three consecutive and-one baskets and made sure his club was keeping their jerseys on their backs instead of being packed away for the trip home.

A game later against Derrick Favors, Plumlee struggled against the tournament's MVP. To be fair, everyone struggled against Favors last weekend. Nevertheless, Plumlee was good when it mattered before running into the buzzsaw that Favors was.

Plumlee is a rare player in his class because of his overall skill set, size and versatility at the position. It's easy to see why there was such a big race for Plumlee before he pledged to the Blue Devils.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

And along with Lance my other favorite for 09
pimp.gif
[table][tr][td]Dominic Cheek, SG, Playaz[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
646033.jpg
[/td] [td] TOC stats: 19.6 points per game (21st in the tournament)
Cheek led the event last year in scoring at the 16 and under division and while he didn't get back to that top spot in the tournament in 2008, he was just as impressive. Watching the 6-foot-6 shooting guard stroke it from the wing is a thing of beauty. Cheek owns one of the prettiest shots in the nation.

His improvement in the midrange is a scary revelation for the rest of the country. The five-star guard is already hard enough to defend. Now he's finding even more ways to put the ball in the hole.

We weren't there, but apparently his matchup against Kenny Boynton at Duke was about as good as it gets. Cheek put in 27 while Boynton went over 30.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

In them small %$@ brown apartments on west campus (I think, im not sure). Straight sweatbox, so chicks gotta come outside
You tommbout the central campus apartments aka mother africa. Them joints was tight like a virgin
laugh.gif

Plumlee is a rare player in his class because of his overall skill set, size and versatility at the position. It's easy to see why there was such a big race for Plumlee before he pledged to the Blue Devils.

I'm calling bust. No offense to my white brethren on NT but I need me a negroid thoroughbred ala Elton Brand to make me feel more comfortable about thefuture. I'm tired of these undersized softer than corn muffin type dudes.

Trust, I'm droppin' a dime on G-Town, Memphis, UNC and UCLA to the NCAA's real soon. Somethin' ain't right. These dudes is at thegrocery store pickin' out the best produce and leavin' my squads with the brown spotted squash and tomatos. I can see it in the air.....

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

In them small %$@ brown apartments on west campus (I think, im not sure). Straight sweatbox, so chicks gotta come outside
You tommbout the central campus apartments aka mother africa. Them joints was tight like a virgin
laugh.gif

I'm calling bust. No offense to my white brethren on NT but I need me a negroid thoroughbred ala Elton Brand to make me feel more comfortable about the future. I'm tired of these undersized softer than corn muffin type dudes.

Trust, I'm droppin' a dime on G-Town, Memphis, UNC and UCLA to the NCAA's real soon. Somethin' ain't right. These dudes is at the grocery store pickin' out the best produce and leavin' my squads with the brown spotted squash and tomatos. I can see it in the air.....

fix

yeah...I can't see UNC, UCLA, G'Town doin anything really wrong with their recruitments.

Cal is in a whole 'nother league with that crap tho.

I hear you on the white boys tho..I saw this kid getting interest from G'Town and I said "HELL NO!"

RYANKELLY1_1150.JPG

laugh.gif

roll.gif
Dudes like the Plumlee kids are the only type of big man Rick Barnes recruits... Yall frustrated cuz your teams landed these type guys once, but Texasdoes it year after year after year...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

yeah...I can't see UNC, UCLA, G'Town doin anything really wrong with their recruitments.

Cal is in a whole 'nother league with that crap tho.

I hear you on the white boys tho..I saw this kid getting interest from G'Town and I said "HELL NO!"

RYANKELLY1_1150.JPG

laugh.gif

steve blake?
laugh.gif

That kid (Ryan Kelly) actually has offers from UNC, ND, NC State, Stanford, Wake, etc..

and probably can play, I just wouldn't want him. I'm white myself...but ehh, it's Georgetown Basketball coached by a Thompson...so.....No thanks,lol.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

That kid (Ryan Kelly) actually has offers from UNC, ND, NC State, Stanford, Wake, etc..

and probably can play, I just wouldn't want him. I'm white myself...but ehh, it's Georgetown Basketball coached by a Thompson...so.....No thanks, lol.

yo he could be the next best thing at G'Town.

Ryan Kelly is legit. I saw him play this weekend at the TOC at the Dean Dome. I was a lil' skeptical too because UNC just offered him, but I really likedhis game. He's a very skilled, inside-outside threat. He had a couple tip slams on people and blocked a few shots in the game I saw. He plays on thesame squad as John Wall. Wall is a problem, amazing athleticism. Nobody is stopping that kid off the dribble, and he's great passer. His game iscomparable to Derrick Rose. Wherever he goes he wont be there for long.

I only watched a couple Friday afternoon games. I didn't get to see Favors, Plumlee or any other big names.

The thing I was talking about with Reddick was that the offense was built around him as a shooting threat, where most people set screens and he came offlooking for the pass or other guards were driving and dishing. Why would the athletic 2-3 guards want to come in and play in an offense that were not suitedtowards their styles. Now this new offense, we will have to see how it develops in the coming years.

Kelly appears to be legit, but the fact that he kinda looks like McLovin still irks me.

I think UNC has a great shot at Josh Hairston, if they push for him. The problem is they have limited scholarships with Kendall Marshall and Reggie Bullockalready in the fold for 2010, and other available such as Roscoe Smith and Travis McKie.

Oh I know they're clean, I just don't like seein' them grabbin' up top notch talent like body snatchers, word to 50. I know .40Cal ain't clean though. He just got that look maaaaan. Ah well, college basketball is gonna be interesting for the next couple years so I can'treally complain.
Dude just screams Brian Butch, Zeller, Micah Downs, Robert Swift, Zwikker, etc

Originally Posted by SIR KYLE

chase is not working out at the nba draft camp...so does that mean he is coming back?

No.
Here is what happened: He got some advice from his prospected agent that the draft camp wouldn't be the best place for him to go because theguards dominate the ball so much, he wouldn't get to show his full game.

As of today he isnt coming back. He is just gonna work out with teams, do the physicals and testing at his team workouts.

Originally Posted by bballah3

Originally Posted by SIR KYLE

chase is not working out at the nba draft camp...so does that mean he is coming back?

No.
Here is what happened: He got some advice from his prospected agent that the draft camp wouldn't be the best place for him to go because the guards dominate the ball so much, he wouldn't get to show his full game.

As of today he isnt coming back. He is just gonna work out with teams, do the physicals and testing at his team workouts.

I agree its a bad move, but hey, what are you gonna do.

Brandon Jennings also came by the Home Depot Center today.....got to talk with him for awhile.....he straight up doesn't want to go to school.
laugh.gif
The people he liked there have all been fired, players left, he thinks Lute is losing his mind and is to senile to coach anymore....basically he has no faith in the program. He is gonna retake the SAT's but the way he sounded when I was talking with him, he had someone either take the test for him, or he straight up cheated....so he isnt expecting to pass from what I can tell.... But, he said even if he passes he might not go to Arizona..he will go work out with A.T.T.A.C.K. Athletics out in Chicago for a year and enter the 2009 draft.

I knew some +%$$ like that was gonna happen eventually....But damn

Brandon Jennings also came by the Home Depot Center today.....got to talk with him for awhile.....he straight up doesn't want to go to school.
laugh.gif
The people he liked there have all been fired, players left, he thinks Lute is losing his mind and is to senile to coach anymore....basically he has no faith in the program. He is gonna retake the SAT's but the way he sounded when I was talking with him, he had someone either take the test for him, or he straight up cheated....so he isnt expecting to pass from what I can tell.... But, he said even if he passes he might not go to Arizona..he will go work out with A.T.T.A.C.K. Athletics out in Chicago for a year and enter the 2009 draft.

laugh.gif

It'd be interesting to see if he went that route. If a guy doesn't want to attend class and is over 18 I don't have a problem with it. Let him goto a Training center like 14 and 15 year old (white) tennis prodigies do in Florida if that's what it takes to kill the time before he can go Pro. Thecollege grind for athletes is ridiculous and if he wants to bypass it to work on his game that should be an option. It'd be interesting to see if such atrend developed where players just STILL skipped college even if they had to wait a year.

He should be able to get drafted in a few weeks...but it seems those days are long gone.

RE: John Wall

When asked about Kentucky being his leader, Wall said it was only being said because he has taken two visits already (seems to be a logical assumption to me) and that he's still considering Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Virginia and some others that he didn't mention specifically.

Jennings is out his damn tree shoulda just came to durham like it was reported he'd planned to do last yr
laugh.gif

As said before, while there might not be one absolute star from the area...the 2010 DC/MD area is LOADED

[table][tr][td]Tournament of Champions Top 2010 Performers[/td] [/tr][tr][td]D.C. Assault 16 and under team[/td] [/tr][tr][td] The Assault won the 16 and under title in a great rivalry game against D.C.-area foe Triple Threat playing as a unit. That's why the team gets the nod as the top overall performer from last weekend's event.
There isn't one true go-to star although there are a number of players that could very well be the main attraction if that was the way the team was designed. It isn't, however. Balance is the key.

The guard play is the foundation for this club. Balance, smarts, quickness and big-shot ability are the strength of the backcourt. Each player brings something different to the team.

Point guard Eric Atkins scored what proved to be the game-winner in the championship game with a strong drive to the hole for the score. He's been steady all spring long and has helped propel his squad to the championship Sundays at every event the Assault has played in.

Tyler Thornton's approach to the game and overall understanding of his position is fantastic. It is so good in fact, it wouldn't be a big surprise that his career path post-playing days would be in the coaching ranks. That's the kind of player he is.

Both Atkins and Thornton are sure-fire high-major kids. The trio of Cedric Lindsay, Ben Hazel and Dontae Thomas combined for 30 points a game. Lindsay is the team's deep threat while Hazel and Thomas shined as slashers.

Big man Joshua Hairston is as polished of a power forward as you'll find in the 2010 class. The 6-foot-7 forward can go inside and out with the best of them. He was strong all weekend and made plays when he needed to. It's easy to see why nearly all of the big-time programs in the Big East and ACC are spending as much time as they can recruiting him.

Keep an eye out for forward Maxie Esho, too. He's been quietly impressive all spring and it wouldn't be a shocker if he also inked with a high-major school at the end of the day.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Completely forgot about these guys....
(Trapani needing to be a factor at BC doesn't speak well on their talent level
sick.gif
sick.gif
)

TRANSFERS TO WATCH

Denis Clemente, Kansas State (from Miami)
Clemente was a starter for the Hurricanes. He put together a solid sophomore season, averaging 9.8 points and 3.3 assists.

Kareem Cooper, UTEP (from Memphis)
Cooper, a 6-11, 290-pound behemoth, averaged 3.9 points and 3.3 rebounds in just 10.8 minutes per game as a freshman with the Tigers.

Reginald Delk, Louisville (from Mississippi State)
Delk averaged 9.5 points two seasons ago for the Bulldogs, then transferred out along with his twin brother, Richard, who landed at Troy. Reginald is a 6-4 shooting guard with deep range.

Anthony Gurley, Massachusetts (from Wake Forest)
Gurley, a former Rivals.com four-star shooting guard prospect, averaged 6.4 points in just 14.5 minutes per game as a freshman in the ACC.

Xavier Hansbro, Georgia State (from Ole Miss)
Hansbro committed to play for Rod Barnes and the Rebels before Barnes was fired. The two are reunited at Georgia State, and the coach believes Hansbro, a 6-10 junior, could be a major force offensively.

Chris Lutz, Marshall (from Purdue)
Lutz, a 6-2 guard, was one of the top 3-point shooters in the country during his freshman season with the Boilermakers, knocking down 47.2 percent from long range.

Jamel McLean, Xavier (from Tulsa)
McLean, a 6-8 forward, averaged 6.0 points and was second on the Golden Hurricane at 4.8 rebounds per game in the 2006-07 season. He could start for the Musketeers.

Mike Mercer, South Florida (from Georgia)
Mercer, a 6-4 former Rivals.com five-star prospect, averaged 13.7 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists as a sophomore for the Bulldogs before being dismissed from the team before his junior season for failure to adhere to team standards and policies.

Magnum Rolle, Louisiana Tech (from LSU)
Another former Rivals.com five-star prospect, the 6-10 Rolle averaged 4.0 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.1 blocks as a sophomore with the Tigers in 2006-07.

Sylvester Seay, Fresno State (from Arizona State)
The 6-9 forward will be counted on heavily by the Bulldogs. He played in only 38 games in two seasons with the Sun Devils, averaging 4.2 points.

Zaire Taylor, Missouri (from Delaware)
Taylor played in 14 games for the Blue Hens as a sophomore, averaging 10.3 points and 4.9 boards. He's a 6-4 guard with great athleticism who can really defend. He also is a capable scorer, as evidenced by a 30-point outburst as a sophomore against Loyola (Md.).

Joe Trapani, Boston College (from Vermont)
The 6-8 forward averaged 11.4 points and 4.4 rebounds per game his freshman season for the Catamounts, and he decided he wanted to play against higher-level competition. The Eagles beat out Providence and Michigan during the re-recruitment of Trapani.

Jamel White, Louisiana Tech (from Nebraska)
White, a 6-3 guard, averaged 9.3 points as a freshman for the Huskers and should start immediately.

Tre'Von Willis, UNLV (from Memphis)
Willis couldn't find room in a crowded Tigers backcourt, averaging 2.6 points before leaving after his freshman season. The Rebels will make room for him.

Ryan Wright, Oklahoma (from UCLA)
Wright's numbers (1.9 ppg, 1.2 rpg) in Westwood weren't great, but the 6-9 forward did play on two Final Four teams. The Sooners believe he can contribute immediately.

Rakim Sanders gona be somethin....but uhhh...yeah...

It's all on Rice....Skinner can't recruit.

The New England and specifically Boston area is rough to recruit in anyway with hoops, but still....he's awful at it.

The New England and specifically Boston area is rough to recruit in anyway with hoops, but still....he's awful at it.
Not necessarily. He has soooo many prep schools at his disposal who have good programs like NMH, Bridgton Academy, Salisbury, Trinity-Pawling,South Kent, etc.
Dude just sucks at recruiting. I mean, c'mon, can you imagine this dude sittin' in your living room on a visit to your house and you takin' himseriously? He look like one of the barbers from Coming to America
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom