College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

^ He was on MSG a couple times, usually vs Mt. Vern, and he gets buckets.
I think Mt. Vern had Sherrod Wright guarding him and he isn't no slouch.

Dude can get to the rack from the little time I've seen him play.

BACKCOURT

The Demon Deacons essentially start two point guards in sophomore Jeff Teague and junior Ishmael Smith. Both have great wheels - they could be the fastest tandem in the country - and they complement one another because each uses his speed for different purposes.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

They are the fastest backcourt in the nation.

Like I said last year...

Teague is the goods.
smokin.gif

[h1]Saints plan to keep marching toward major status[/h1]

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: September 29, 2008

LOUDONVILLE, N.Y. -- Siena didn't upset Vanderbilt in the first round of the NCAA tournament in March.

No, the Saints pounded the SEC Commodores by 21.

[+] Enlarge

Kim Klement/US Presswire

According to the Siena players, their win over Vanderbilt in the NCAA tournament shouldn't be considered an upset.

The seeds said 13 versus 4. But to everyone involved with the Saints program it was no upset.

"We don't think it was," said Siena senior guard KennyHasbrouck.

Siena lost in the second round to Villanova, but that didn't dampen the Saints' belief that they are a threat nationally.

Six months later, the Saints aren't even hesitating to promote themselves.

"I consider ourselves, while we're in a mid-major conference, I think we're one of the top teams in the country right now," said Sienacoach Fran McCaffery while sitting in his relatively modest office on Siena's suburban Albany campus.

Hasbrouck said, "I think we should win a [Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference] championship and get back to the second round at least, but I'm notsupposed to think about that during the season."

Junior guard Ronald Moore added, "I definitely believe we're one of thebest in the country and all we've got to do is prove it this year."

College basketball still has its traditional powers. Nothing will change that. No one is knocking North Carolina, Kansas, Duke, UCLA, Louisville,Connecticut, Florida, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Kentucky and countless others out of the higher-profile conferences from their traditional perch atop thelandscape.

But there is now room for a rotation of other programs to have their day when they can compete with any team in the country.

Gonzaga got it started in the past decade with an Elite Eight run in 1999. Tulsa made it to the Elite Eight in 2000. Temple was in the Elite Eight in 2001.Kent State was in the Elite Eight in 2002. Xavier and Saint Joseph's cracked the Elite Eight in 2004. George Mason made it to the Final Four in 2006.Davidson was in the Elite Eight in March.

Expecting Siena, which returns all five starters from last season's 23-11 team, to be in the Elite Eight in 2009 would be a bit of a reach. The Saintshaven't solved their rebounding or post-play issues. But nothing has dampened this team's confidence.

Hasbrouck spent the summer playing with NBA players and fellow elite college players in a summer league in Washington, D.C.

"I can play against anyone in the country," Hasbrouck said. "Now teams like ours are getting talent from high schools that not everyone knowsabout. There are players in the top 100 that are going to mid-majors and shining."

Siena shouldn't be a shock to those that follow the game. The Saints should be one of the top teams in the MAAC every season. The Saints easily have thelargest following in the league and play in the downtown Albany Times Union Center. The arena holds 8,065 fans; the Saints regularly draw more than 4,000 andpush capacity for key games, such as versus Manhattan.

[+] Enlarge

Doug Benc/Getty Images

Fran McCaffery has found a home at Siena and believes the Saints can play on a national stage.

The media coverage for this team out of a mostly one-bid league rivals plenty of high majors. Multiple newspapers travel with Siena and the local TVaffiliates are regularly around. Siena has plenty of history too, with former coaches Mike Deane and Paul Hewitt taking the Saints to the NCAAs in 1989 and1999, respectively, before moving on to higher-profile gigs. Rob Lanier took the Saints to the NCAAs in 2002, too.

"There are a lot of expectations here," said McCaffery, who has now taken three different schools to the NCAAs after leading Lehigh there in 1988and UNC Greensboro in 2001. "We are expected to be one of the top three teams every year and that's difficult in a league like this that all givescholarships. People in this community have been following this team for a very long time and have bought season tickets."

McCaffery interviewed for the job when Hewitt got the job in 1997. He waited until after Hewitt, Louis Orr and Lanier were gone before going after andgetting the gig in 2005.

Now, at age 49, Siena may become the destination job for McCaffery that it wasn't for Hewitt or Orr.

McCaffery has a young family with four children ranging in ages from 2 to 10. His wife, Margaret, is a former Notre Dame player and assistant. They met whenthey were both Irish assistants, after he left a head coaching position at Lehigh in 1988 to work for Digger Phelps. McCaffery stayed in South Bend for 11seasons.

"I look at it and say, 'Would I leave for money?' A lot of times money motivates that decision," McCaffery said. "I could have gottenmore money last year and turned down jobs that in the past would have paid me more. But I love the people here, the athletic director and the administration.They pay me well. I'm not a millionaire, but I can live a comfortable lifestyle and I'm not opposed to a long-term thing here."

McCaffery was an ideal candidate for Providence and UMass, and he could easily be a name if something were to open in his native Philadelphia. But hedoesn't have to move, not when he has built a program back at Siena where tournament access is there every season. Albany has been a traditional host ofthe conference tournament, but it will be moving around a bit more in the coming years. Still, McCaffery has three years left on his contract, and was pleasedthat he received a new deal after his first season in 2006 when he was 15-13.

"If you think about it, the landscape has changed, and 15 years ago, what was a Big East job is not what it is now," McCaffery said. Going to aprogram that is at the bottom of the Big East, even for money that is closer to a $1 million salary, certainly has its merit. But so does quality of life, andwith NCAA tournament access being so crucial to coaching longevity, life at a major mid-major can be just as good even if it's not as financiallyrewarding.

"If he brings in quality players with a great attitude then there's no reason why he would want to leave," Moore said. "We probablydon't tell him enough that we love him to death."

The loyalty the returning players showed McCaffery comes amid a few defections that would have probably crushed most similar programs. Jack McClinton should be a first-team all-ACC guard for Miami this season. He could be afirst-team All-America. He led the Hurricanes to the NCAAs last season.

[+] Enlarge

Doug Benc/Getty Images

Kenny Hasbrouck brings his 16.1 points average and 2.3 steals per game back to Siena for the 2008-09 season.

McClinton left Siena just after McCaffery arrived.

Kojo Mensah stayed for the first season under McCaffery in 2005-06. He scoredwell, but then abruptly bolted to Duquesne. Mensah had a crazy career at Duquesne: He was one of five players who was shot on campus in the fall of 2006,survived that attack, recovered during his redshirt season, played last season and then declared for the NBA draft.

When McCaffery lost McClinton he grabbed Hasbrouck.

"No disrespect to Jack, but once we got Kenny to replace Jack it was an even trade," McCaffery said. "If you were to ask me who I wouldrather have it would be Kenny. He's a better player for us."
Hasbrouck became the first franchise recruit for McCaffery, even though Hasbrouck hada low-profile when he was signed.
The recruiting class of juniors Moore, Alex Franklin and Edwin Ubiles -- three of the starters alongside seniors Hasbrouck and Josh Duell -- was critical to Siena's current run of 20-plus wins in consecutive seasons,back-to-back MAAC championship-game appearances and the latest NCAA berth and subsequent "upset" win over Vandy.

McCaffery put together a schedule this season that will make the sport's followers notice. Siena is in the loaded Old Spice Classic in Orlando overThanksgiving. The Saints, who are known for their up-tempo, fast-break style, will open with Tennessee. The common expectation is that Siena will lose. But theSaints firmly believe that on a neutral court Siena will be the talk of the tournament, just as much as headline teams Michigan State and Gonzaga. (Georgetown,Oklahoma State, Maryland and Wichita State are also in the field.)

Plus, truly one-way road games (without returns) against Kansas and Pitt are chances for the Saints to steal a win or two, or at the very least pick upvaluable power-rating points if they're competitive.

McCaffery said he expects the team's power rating to be a plus by the end of the season. The MAAC should be as competitive at the top as it has been inyears, with Niagara and Fairfield legitimate threats, too.

"We've had a year with two [NCAA bids] in our league," McCaffery said. "I scheduled [so] if that does happen we would have ashot."

If the Saints live up to their own expectations they shouldn't fret, considering the thought at Siena is a national introduction in March won't benecessary if the Saints are already a known commodity from the start of the season.

McClinton finds perfect home in Miami

Monday, September 29, 2008 | PrintEntry

If given the choice, Siena coach Fran McCaffrey would take Kenny Hasbrouck overJack McClinton.
No disrespect, he says, toward the former Siena guard. That'sfine. Give Miami coach Frank Haith the same question, and he doesn't even flinch. "I think Jack is one of the best guards in the country,''Haith said of his all-ACC senior guard. "He's one of the best guards in the league, and in this league that means you're one of the best guards inthe country.'' McClinton left Siena after Rob Lanier was jettisoned. McClinton played one season for Lanier, averaging 13.6 points in 32.3 minutes agame as a freshman in 2004-05. Nothing against McCaffrey, who had just arrived from UNC Greensboro, but Lanier was McClinton's "guy" and withouthim running the show at Siena, McClinton was looking to play elsewhere. McClinton's departure allowed McCaffrey to find Hasbrouck. Hasbrouck, entering hissenior year, has been an all-MAAC player, helped lead the Saints to the NCAA tournament last season and a first-round win over Vanderbilt (a 13 over a 4) andis primed to be the league's Player of the Year, in addition to possibly leading the Saints back to the NCAAs. The marriage in Miami has been perfect.McClinton spent his redshirt season challenging then-lead guards Guillermo Diaz and Robert Hite. "He was a kid who dominated practice,'' Haithsaid of McClinton's redshirt season. "When he was on the scout team, he made it very difficult to do what we needed to do. He was that good.''Haith was admittedly stunned by McClinton's talent. He saw McClinton on a stellar AAU team out of Baltimore, which included former UConn players Rudy Gayand Josh Boone. He liked him at the time and said he remembers saying to himself that Siena got a steal. Once he left Siena, he received a tape in the mailfrom McClinton's father, Jack. Yes, recruiting can still occur by mail by a dad sending a tape of his kid. "The sucker made every shot in the videothat he took when he was at Siena,'' Haith said. "Thank God it worked out for me to go to Miami,'' McClinton said. McClinton, who wasclose with Miami Heat guard Dorrell Wright, found a natural draw to South Florida. Haith said the Hurricanes were the only high Division I school that offeredMcClinton a scholarship safe haven out of Siena. McClinton agreed. Throughout that challenging redshirt season, McClinton said he would stay in the gym untilmidnight some days and then up early to play again in the morning. "My whole life, starting from AAU, I've always been overshadowed and I've hadto prove to people I could play,'' McClinton said. "They'd say 'Jack is too small, Jack can't shoot,' and that adds to my fire.That's what I live for. That's my passion. I want to contribute and work hard since everyone says I can't do this or I can't do that."McClinton said he was the small guy on that AAU team. He's still only listed at 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds. In McClinton's first season eligible at Miamiin 2006-07 he led the Canes with 16.7 points a game. Miami had an injury-riddled season and the Canes finished 12-20 and 4-12 in the ACC. Last season,McClinton led the Canes again in scoring -- and to the NCAA tournament. McClinton averaged 17.7 points, 2.6 assists and 42.8 percent overall, 42.7 percent on3s in leading Miami to a 23-11 finish, a first-round win over Saint Mary's, a near-miss in the second round (lost by three) to Texas, and a solid 8-8record in the ACC. "There were a number of games last season where Jack put us on his back, six I counted, that he directly carried us to a win,''Haith said. "He would carry us on his back and score in bunches.'' Last week, once team workouts for two hours could occur on Division I campuses,Haith had to pull McClinton aside. He was being too passive and deferring too much. "He was telling me I was passing up too many shots,''McClinton said. "I was trying to get everyone involved. But he told me to treat every practice like a game and if I'm open to let it go. You'renot going to have worry about me passing up shots.'' The Canes are a trendy pick, at least in this space, to be a top-15 team and to challenge forsecond in the ACC with Duke and Wake Forest behind loaded national favorite North Carolina. Miami returns its top five scorers. But after a few weeks, it hasbecome clear to Haith and McClinton that there needs to be room on the floor for a few newcomers. Freshman wing DeQuan Jones will have to play. He'sapparently too good to sit. "He's talent level is off the charts,'' Haith said. "We've never had a real athletic guy who can finishlike that and dunk,'' McClinton said. "He stays in the gym, works hard and plays defense, too. He's ready to play.'' So, too, isredshirt junior forward Adrian Thomas, who was out all but four games last seasonbecause of an abdominal injury. McClinton and Haith both rave about his work ethic, power game and ability to help. Add them to the energy guy in seniorforward Jimmy Graham, reliable post scorer Dwayne Collins, backcourt mate of McClinton's James Dews, wing BrianAsbury and the rising development of redshirt junior transfer forward Cyrus McGowan, and the Canes are deeper and more talented than a year ago. "Ican't wait for the season to start,'' McClinton said. "This is one of the best teams I've ever been on. We all know our roles andwe're ready t

if jack and Al fisher had stayed..
sick.gif

Really says somethin about the depth of talent in DC/MD when kids like Hasbrouck and McClinton fly under the radar

I'm very disappointed in my brother. All of his friends are playing D1-A ball somewhere next year.

[table][tr][td]Current Record:[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Overall[/td] [td]Pct[/td] [td]Conf.[/td] [td]Pct.[/td] [td]Streak[/td] [td]Home[/td] [td]Away[/td] [td]Neutral[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0-0-0[/td] [td].000[/td] [td]0-0-0[/td] [td].000[/td] [td]---[/td] [td]0-0[/td] [td]0-0[/td] [td]0-0[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]Date[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Opponent[/td] [td]Time/Result[/td] [td]Game Notes[/td] [td]Location[/td] [td]TV[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mon, Nov 3[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Cal-State Los Angeles (Exhibition)[/td] [td]7:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Carrier Dome[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sun, Nov 9[/td] [td] [/td] [td]Indiana PA (exhibition)[/td] [td]2:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sun, Nov 16[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Carrier Dome[/td] [td]ESPNU[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tue, Nov 18[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Carrier Dome[/td] [td]ESPN2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Fri, Nov 21[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Oakland[/td] [td]7:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mon, Nov 24[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic vs. Florida[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Sprint Center[/td] [td]ESPN2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tue, Nov 25[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic vs. Kansas/Washington[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Sprint Center[/td] [td]ESPN2/ESPNU[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Fri, Nov 28[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Virginia[/td] [td]7:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mon, Dec 1[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Colgate[/td] [td]7:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wed, Dec 3[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Cornell[/td] [td]7:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sat, Dec 13[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Long Beach State[/td] [td]2:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mon, Dec 15[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Cleveland State[/td] [td]7:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wed, Dec 17[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Canisius[/td] [td]7:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sat, Dec 20[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Memphis[/td] [td]6:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]FedEx Forum[/td] [td]ESPN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mon, Dec 22[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Coppin State[/td] [td]7:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tue, Dec 30[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Seton Hall
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Fri, Jan 2[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]South Florida
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]8:30 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Sun Dome[/td] [td]ESPN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wed, Jan 7[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]DePaul
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sat, Jan 10[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Rutgers
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Louis Brown Center[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wed, Jan 14[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Georgetown
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]7:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Verizon Center[/td] [td]ESPN2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sat, Jan 17[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Notre Dame
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]Noon[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Carrier Dome[/td] [td]ESPN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mon, Jan 19[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Pittsburgh
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]Petersen Center[/td] [td]ESPN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sun, Jan 25[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Louisville
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wed, Jan 28[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Providence
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Dunkin Donuts Center[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wed, Feb 4[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]West Virginia
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]Carrier Dome[/td] [td]ESPN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sat, Feb 7[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Villanova
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]Noon[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Wachovia Center[/td] [td]ESPN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wed, Feb 11[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Connecticut
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]ESPN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sat, Feb 14[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Georgetown
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]Noon[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Carrier Dome[/td] [td]ESPN[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sun, Feb 22[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Villanova
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]1:00 p.m.[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Carrier Dome[/td] [td]CBS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tue, Feb 24[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]St. John's
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Madison Square Garden[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sun, Mar 1[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Cincinnati
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tue, Mar 3[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Rutgers
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sat, Mar 7[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Marquette
minibigeast.gif
[/td] [td]TBA[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Bradley Center[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tue, Mar 10[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]BIG EAST Tournament[/td] [td]TBD[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wed, Mar 11[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Thu, Mar 12[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Fri, Mar 13[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sat, Mar 14[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]Head coach: Jay Wright
Last season: 22-13, 9-9 in Big East
Postseason: Earned at-large bid to NCAA tournament. Lost to Kansas in Sweet 16, 72-57.[/td] [td]
villanova_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Breakdown: Probable starters | Backcourt | Frontcourt | Offense | Defense | Outlook[/td] [/tr][/table]
http://

BACKCOURT

The Wildcats are loaded with talent and experience among the guards. All-Big East pick Scottie Reynolds is the leader. He led the Wildcats in scoring, ranking 10th in the BigEast. He also shot a sterling 38.3 percent from 3-point range, good for sixth in the conference. Reynolds can handle the ball, shoot from long range, penetrateand create. He also does a great job of getting to the free-throw line, and he's an excellent shooter there, too. He topped the 20-point mark 12 times lastseason, and he increased his shooting percentage to a more respectable 41.2 percent. When Reynolds is on he is capable of taking over a game.

conhead_ataglance_30.jpg

DANTECUNNINGHAM250_0929.JPG
[size=-2]Dante Cunningham started 35 games last season and led Villanova in rebounding.[/size]

[table][tr][td]PROBABLE STARTING FIVE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Scottie Reynolds, 6-2/Jr.
15.9 ppg, 3.2 apg, 3.1 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Corey Stokes, 6-5/So.
6.4 ppg, 2.4 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F Antonio Pena, 6-8/So.
6.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F Dante Cunningham, 6-8/Sr.
10.4 ppg, 6.5 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F Dwayne Anderson, 6-6/Sr.
6.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TOP RESERVES[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Corey Fisher, 6-1/So.
9.1 ppg, 2.7 apg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F Shane Clark, 6-7/Sr.
7.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Reggie Redding, 6-5/Jr.
4.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C Casiem Drummond, 6-10/Jr.
4.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg[/td] [/tr][/table]
Villanova's Coreys were a mixed bag last season as freshmen. Both five-star prospects had their moments and their struggles. Corey Fisher was the better player early, but he didn't hold up well during BigEast play. Corey Stokes went four consecutive non-conference games withoutscoring, but he came alive during the league portion of the schedule. Stokes posted seven of his double-digit scoring games against Big East opponents, and hedropped a season-high 20 on Siena to help put the Wildcats in the Sweet 16. Fisher is a ballhandler and distributor who can provide scoring punch. Stokes ismore of a pure scorer who can catch and shoot quickly and with accuracy. Fisher ranked second on the team in assists and 3-pointers made to Reynolds. Stokeswas third on the team in 3-pointers made. Fisher made 21 starts, while Stokes started only four times. Stokes averaged 7.3 points per game coming off the benchin 18 league games. Fisher averaged 8.7 points against conference foes.
Junior Reggie Redding provides added depth. He's a physical guard and oneof the Wildcats' best defenders. He also takes good care of the ball. Redding made 18 starts last season and averaged 20.6 minutes.

FRONTCOURT

Villanova returns four forwards who each started at least 14 games last season. The leader is Dante Cunningham, the only player who started all 35 games for the Wildcats. Hecontinued to make steady improvement. He led the team in rebounding and field goal percentage (54.4), and he finished second in scoring. Cunningham isextremely athletic and a tremendous leaper. He's quick off his feet and can finish at the rim. He posted five double-doubles last season, including 13points and 11 rebounds against Marquette.

Dwayne Anderson is a defensive stopper with excellent quickness. At 6 feet 6and a solid 215 pounds, he's called on to guard players at multiple positions. He started the final 14 games of the regular season and averaged 9.7 pointsand 7.0 rebounds in those games.

Shane Clark made 17 starts and scored in double figures 10 times. He iscapable of shooting the long ball, but his 3-point percentage last season (28.6) wasn't quite where it needs to be. It was from the foul line, though,where he hit 84.1 percent.

Antonio Pena came on during his first season after redshirting. He made 19starts and in those games raised his averages to 8.2 points and 5.8 rebounds. He gives the Wildcats their most significant threat on the interior. He had adouble-double at Pittsburgh (10 points and 10 rebounds), and he went for 17 points and nine boards against Notre Dame.

Casiem Drummond provides depth and size up front. He was limited last seasonby ankle problems, and he had surgery on his right ankle after the season. His 4.9 points per game and 4.5 rebounds per game don't sound like much untilyou consider they were achieved in just 13.2 minutes per game. In the 12 games in which he was able to play at least 12 minutes, Drummond averaged 7.1rebounds. He is expected to be ready to go when practice starts Oct. 17.

OFFENSE

Coach Jay Wright is a motion-offense guy. The Wildcats run 4-out, 1-in andmaintain excellent spacing. It creates a lot of room for their guards to operate and cut.

DEFENSE

[table][tr][td]
conhead_seasonlook_30.jpg
http://[/td] [/tr][tr][td]If the Wildcats had a bit more presence on the interior they'd be a serious Final Four contender. They're deeper than a Coen Brothers movie, and they have solid guard play, multiple scoring options and top-notch coaching in Wright and his staff. The problem areas last season were shooting (12th in the Big East at 43.1 percent) and rebounding (ninth in the conference in rebounding margin). Defensively, Villanova was not up to Wright's normal standard. Expect many of the problems to be solved. Fisher and Stokes will both be improved, and the coach will make sure the Wildcats take better shots and tighten up on defense. Villanova is headed back to the NCAA tournament, and anything less than the Sweet 16 probably would be a disappointment.[/td] [/tr][/table]

The Wildcats are primarily a man-to-man team. They concentrate on taking away the center of the court and containing the ball. They weren't especiallygood last year, ranking 11th in the Big East in scoring defense (69.5 ppg). With their added depth there's a chance they could do some trapping to generatemore pressure.

SHOES TO FILL

None. There are nine players returning who started last season, eight of them at least nine times. The top seven scorers return.

MUST STEP UP

The Coreys. They are capable of making the big leap so many freshmen do as sophomores. If one becomes a consistent scoring threat, perhapseven both, the Wildcats will be tough to handle on the offensive end.

IMPACT NEWCOMER

C Maurice Sutton. The three-star prospect isthe only option as an impact newcomer because he is the only newcomer. Still, he could be redshirted if Drummond is fully recovered and ready togo.

Bob McClellan is the college basketball editor for Rivals.com. He can be reached at [email protected].
Talk about it in the

[h1]Case Continued For UConn's Miles[/h1]By MIKE ANTHONY | [email protected] 9:28 PM EDT, September 30, 2008
42666767.jpg

UConn basketball player Nate Miles leaves Superior Court in Rockville, where he appeared before a judge on charges of violating a restraining order. He is to return to court in November. (MICHAEL MCANDREWS / HARTFORD COURANT / September 30, 2008)

ROCKVILLE - Nate Miles, a freshman on the UConn basketball team, appeared in Superior Court in Rockville Tuesday to answer charges of violating a restraining order. Miles, 20, of Toledo, Ohio, had his case continued to Nov. 25 and is to attend counseling in the meantime.

Miles is scheduled to appear before a UConn review board Thursday and could face university sanctions for his behavior. He was arrested Sept. 22 after he was accused of placing a phone call to fellow UConn student Angela Lewis, 19, of Manchester, a violation of the restraining order. The call, according to a police report, was made 16 minutes after Miles was issued the order to refrain from contacting Lewis.

The court issued a protective order Tuesday, and Judge Kenneth Shluger told Miles, "You are to have no contact with [Lewis] whatsoever."

The entire appearance lasted about a minute and "Thank you" were the only words Miles said. Accompanied by attorney Rob Britt, Miles did not comment while leaving the courthouse.

Miles' relationship with Lewis was listed as "dating" on the protective order obtained from the court. The protective order essentially reinforces the no-contact terms of the initial restraining order.

Miles' case was the first called in the second morning court session.

Kyle Muncy, a spokesman for the men's basketball program, said UConn would have no comment. Coach Jim Calhoun could not be reached.

Just get rid of this cat. %#!$#$' knucklehead.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

He shot 52% from the 3 bro.
OJ shot 41% from 3 last year.

McAlarney shot 44% from 3 last year.

Josh Carter shot 38% from 3 last year.

Tyrese Rice shot 36% from 3 last year.

That's just a small sample to go off of. Now, do you honestly think Collison is a better shooter than the 4 I just mentioned? % numbers don't mean shhhhh. If people leave you wide open or sag off of you because they don't respect you as a shooter then you damn sure better be making 52% of those shots.

Josh Carter
pimp.gif

Dude went so far downhill last year though...Shot 50% from behind the arc 2 years ago...

Whatever happened to the day of 18 year old freshman? Dudes are like 20, 23 years old stepping foot on campus these days.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Whatever happened to the day of 18 year old freshman? Dudes are like 20, 23 years old stepping foot on campus these days.
Word to your avy?

The prep route is messing everything up.

And parents letting basketball dictate everything (though it works our for some in the end)
Originally Posted by allen3xis

we'll see what happens around here next spring, Dre.

how much eligibility you got left?

[Clay Davis] Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttt [/Clay Davis]

I got 4 years left bruh.

Hook that up. I'll play whatever. PG, SF, WR, DB don't matter.

Just send that scholly app down here to NC. I got a homeboy who works at the NCAA clearinghouse, so all my $$*@ will be straight

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Will do Dre
pimp.gif

October 1, 2008
[h1]Kelly nearing a decision[/h1]
Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Analyst

Talk about it in Basketball Recruiting Board
Five-star prospect Ryan Kelly is fresh off his final visit, andwill soon compare the six schools left on his list after a few more in-home visits.

[table][tr][td]
RYANKELLY6_23200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kelly is one of the more skilled big men in his class.[/td] [/tr][/table]Kelly, a 6-foot-9, 205-pound power forward from Raleigh (N.C.) Ravenscroft School, began this week spending a couple days inneighboring Durham getting an in depth feel for campus life at Duke.

"The visit went well," said Kelly. "I was able to play with the players, go to some classes and hang out with some of the players."

Now Kelly is expecting visits from North Carolina head coach Roy Williams, Georgetown head coach John Thompson, III and Wake Forest head man Dino Gaudio. Oncethose visits are in the books, Kelly will formally compare the schools in hopes of deciding on a school some time this month.

"Now I have all the information I need about the schools I'm considering," he said. "I have a few more coaches coming in to visit me in thenext week or so. After those visits, I'm going to shut it down and weigh out the pluses and minuses. Whether I trim it down to two or three schools then ormake a decision, I'm not sure. I don't really have a time table or a date set for a decision, but I'd like to get it done before practice starts onOctober 27th."

There has been rampant speculation that certain schools have worked their way to the top of Kelly's list, but Kelly, who is considering Duke, Georgetown,North Carolina, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest, maintains that this isn't the case.

"I've tried to go into every visit looking at each school individually and not compare them," he said. "I really haven't compared themyet, and I don't have a favorite at this point."

Ryan Kelly scouting report:

An extremely skilled face up four man, Kelly does his best work in the high post area. Defenders have to respect his ability to knock down three while Kellyalso has the ability to beat defenders off the bounce with his pull up jumper in the midrange being his most dangerous weapon. He is also an adept passer andcan score in the low post. Defensively Kelly moves his feet well, but he does need to add strength to become a better low post defender and rebounder.

smh.gif
...I guess I can see it with Dajuan and the chances of Greg leaving...but idont want him

[table][tr][td]Head coach: Bill Self
Last season: 37-3, 13-3 in Big 12
Postseason: Beat Memphis 75-68 in overtime in national championship game.[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Breakdown: Probable starters | Backcourt | Frontcourt | Offense | Defense | Outlook[/td] [/tr][/table]

BACKCOURT

Despite coming off the bench the past two seasons, Sherron Collins wasreferred to as the most talented guard on the team at times. The Jayhawks need the former five-star recruit to prove it this year.

conhead_ataglance_30.jpg

0405-KANCOLEALDRICH_250.JPG
[size=-2]Cole Aldrich is the Jayhawks' only post player with Division I experience.[/size]

[table][tr][td]PROBABLE STARTING FIVE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Sherron Collins, 5-11/Jr.
9.3 ppg, 3.1 apg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Tyshawn Taylor, 6-3/Fr.
true freshman[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Mario Little, 6-5/Jr.
junior college transfer[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F Markieff Morris, 6-9/Fr.
true freshman[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C Cole Aldrich, 6-11/Jr.
2.8 ppg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TOP RESERVES[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F Marcus Morris, 6-8/Fr.
true freshman[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Tyrel Reed, 6-3/So.
2.0 ppg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Tyrone Appleton, 6-2/Jr.
junior college transfer[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Travis Releford, 6-5/Fr.
true freshman[/td] [/tr][/table]
With the departures of veterans Mario Chalmers and Russell Robinson, Collins is the only guard on the roster with solid experience at theDivision I level. Collins, who averaged 9.3 points in 2006-07 and 2007-08, will be asked to generate much of the offense and be the leader for a young team.The 5-foot-11 junior should have an All-Big 12 kind of year. Nobody in the league is more explosive or faster with the ball in the open court. But, there willbe a drop-off in one area. He's not nearly as good a defender as Chalmers or Robinson, who were among the top defensive players in the nation.
It's not clear yet just who will play alongside Collins, but there are plenty of options. The Jayhawks have added four guards, including two of thenation's top junior college transfers - Mario Little and Tyrone Appleton. Top-100 high school prospects Travis Releford and Tyshawn Taylor will join the fold as well. Sophomore Tyrel Reed also returns after seeing limited action in 23 games.

Those five probably will be part of a steady rotation, especially early as the coaching staff experiments to see who fits best where. Little, who was rankedthe No. 1 prospect in the 2008 junior college rankings, is a 6-5 wing with a good shooting stroke who can also help out on the glass. Appleton (No. 3) can playthe point or off the ball. Releford (6-5) and Taylor (6-3) both have good size and can also play multiple positions. Releford and Taylor were first and secondon the team in scoring during a three-game exhibition tour in Canada in September. Releford was also a starter on the U.S. 18U team that finished second in theFIBA Americas Championship in Argentina. Reed, a coach's son, can shoot from the outside and handle the ball. He may back up Collins at the point.

FRONTCOURT

There are some even bigger holes to fill here than in the backcourt. The early departure of first-round pick Darrell Arthur and the graduation of veterans Darnell Jackson and Sasha Kaun leave the Jayhawks without 31.1 points and 16.9 rebounds per game. Add smallforward Brandon Rush (also a first-round pick) to the mix and those numbers riseto 44.4 points and 22.0 rebounds.

Just to replace half of that production the Jayhawks need a breakthrough year from sophomore center Cole Aldrich. The 6-11 Aldrich, the only post player on the roster with any collegeexperience, was a role player last season, averaging only 8.3 minutes a game. But, the former four-star recruit did show signs of being capable of being muchmore in the Final Four. The big man made some big plays in the Jayhawks' 84-66 rout of North Carolina in the semifinals, scoring eight points, grabbingseven rebounds and blocking four shots. Whether he can play that way consistently may be the biggest factor in deciding just how far the Jayhawks advance inthe postseason.

A pair of twin freshmen, Markieff Morris and Marcus Morris, four-star prospects from the Philadelphia area, must also developquickly. Either could start alongside Aldrich, and they both will play steady minutes. The 6-9 Markieff, ranked No. 49 in the 2008 class, is more of a truepost player who can provide an inside presence, especially on defense. Marcus, ranked No. 29, is more athletic and versatile. Both must contribute for theJayhawks to contend in the Big 12 again. Another freshman, three-star power forward Quintrell Thomas, could also be used to add some depth.

OFFENSE

The Jayhawks can't count on their defense to generate nearly as much of their offense as in recent years. Robinson and Chalmers both excelled atcreating turnovers, and Bill Self often called Rush the team's best one-on-onedefender.

DEFENSE

[table][tr][td]
conhead_seasonlook_30.jpg
http://[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expect some rough moments early on. Not only has the roster been overhauled, but the non-conference schedule may be the toughest in the nation. There are home dates against SEC favorite Tennessee, Kent State (ranked No. 53 by Rivals.com), New Mexico State (No. 58) and Temple, road trips to Arizona (No. 38) and Michigan State (in our top 15), a matchup with Massachusetts (No. 50) in Kansas City, Mo., and a tournament that includes a game against Washington (No. 51) and a possible matchup with Florida (No. 19) or Syracuse (No. 32). But, expect the Jayhawks to get some momentum rolling once Big 12 play starts. Three seasons ago, Self had an even younger team that started out 3-4. It went on to win 15 of its last 17 games and capture the Big 12 tournament title. A lack of offense may hold the Jayhawks back from getting that hot, but we fully expect them to be a factor in the race for the league title. They'll finish among the top four in the Big 12 and win at least one NCAA tournament game.[/td] [/tr][/table]

An aggressive man-to-man has long been the trademark of Self's teams and that won't change. Players are heavily encouraged to pressure the ball andget into passing lanes. They will also press at times. With so many new parts, learning the new system and how to play with the required intensity will takesome time so expect an adjustment period.

SHOES TO FILL

It's impossible to pick just one player. Nobody in the nation lost more than the Jayhawks, who are parting with five starters and one of their topreserves. Arthur, Chalmers, Jackson, Robinson, Rush and Kaun combined for around 80 percent of the team's scoring and rebounding.

MUST STEP UP

Aldrich. Replacing much of the inside presence provided by Arthur, Jackson and Kaun falls on this big man's broad shoulders. He needsto be one of the Big 12's top rebounders and shot blockers and avoid too much foul trouble along the way.

IMPACT NEWCOMER

Little. This versatile wing isn't quite as talented as Rush, but he could play a similar role. He can play multiple positions, and hehas the size and skills to be an inside-outside scoring threat.

Back
Top Bottom