College a scam ? College not what it used to be good vid

Saw it a while back, its a good video. 
Makes you question if college is really worth going to. 

Watched it last week, lot of good points but why make a video bashing college and then towards the end praise online courses?

Originally Posted by ispeakjewleo

Saw it a while back, its a good video. 
Makes you question if college is really worth going to. 
College is only worth it if you're motivated, and are studying a degree that's guaranteed to find you work after you graduate so you can pay your bills.

So I'm going to guess that for most, it's a waste. Unless you're rich, going to school for an education is a waste. Without a career to show for your years in school, all you'll have is a a lot of debt, and no way to pay it.

its only a waste if you dont do anything with it.

i know a good # people with degrees in areas like philosophy/english (examples of what many would consider useless majors) in T14 law schools. they interned, studied, and were very active around campus and it paid off. they didn't just party and sit around like so many college students and except something to be handed to them afterwards just because they got a piece of paper.

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

i know a good # people with degrees in areas like philosophy/english (examples of what many would consider useless majors) in T14 law schools. they interned, studied, and were very active around campus and it paid off. they didn't just party and sit around like so many college students and except something to be handed to them afterwards just because they got a piece of paper.

Lol why do you think they are in lawl school? (probably because they couldn't get a good job with their philosophy/english degree)
All you need to get into a top law school is a good GPA and a good LSAT score. Law schools could care less if you were active around campus or interned. If you have that 3.8+ and 172+ you are straiiiight.

Ah yes! Brain food
smile.gif

Thanks.

Said this ever since last year...

College is the biggest scam that our society has pulled on us. Our most successful people didn't even go to school. Spend all that money to go to school, just to get out of school and not be able to get a job, and once we do, we have to use part of that job to pay off that tremendous debt, and what not.

Honestly, if it were up to me, If I were lecturing students, and this is taboo, but I would encourage them not to go to college as much as follow their passion, there hearts. You only live once, and there isn't any jobs out here, why not do what you love and want to do?

To this day I haven't found a student who is in college that didn't feel like on some level, that it was a waste of time, and that they weren't really learning everything.

I just watched the entire film unwillingly. The facts were a harsh reality that kind of made me question my decision to take the college route. College is a cold game, got me out here shaking in my boots for warmth. Hopefully when I receive my degree I'm not made a statistic. I intend to live well with my degree and prosper for having got one. I don't know though, might by wishful thinking.

It's a business first and foremost.

There are shills that will attack you for bashing college.

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

Said this ever since last year...

College is the biggest scam that our society has pulled on us. Our most successful people didn't even go to school. Spend all that money to go to school, just to get out of school and not be able to get a job, and once we do, we have to use part of that job to pay off that tremendous debt, and what not.

Honestly, if it were up to me, If I were lecturing students, and this is taboo, but I would encourage them not to go to college as much as follow their passion, there hearts. You only live once, and there isn't any jobs out here, why not do what you love and want to do?

To this day I haven't found a student who is in college that didn't feel like on some level, that it was a waste of time, and that they weren't really learning everything.
I find myself thinking this way more and more each day. M heart really isnt in school, and I feel like Im here, just because I feel like I have to be, honestly. All the money spent on classes could've went to following my dream of being a race car driver and going to racing school.

But with college, its hard to see a "decent" life without having a degree under your belt. So its like you're kind of forced to take that route as a safety blanket of sorts.

I was going to share this on facebook, but realized I'd rather keep my advantages. They don't listen anyways. Gotta keep doing me and focusing on that.

I decided not to goto college a few years ago. It should be obvious to everyone that it is not worth the INVESTMENT, let alone the actual lack of intellectual academics because the boards of the institutions are basically ran by banks (my father is a vice dean in academics, we've been fighting this fight of idiots running colleges since I was in puberty). I did end up going to community college, and I learned a few different skills that I could take with me anywhere I go in the world without much regulation at all.

Also, if your in college or have a degree, it doesn't automatically mean you are going to fail. A degree is simply a tool to help you. Hopefully you have more tools than your degree to not only get yourself a job, but also to succeed and excel in that job. And the same goes for those of us without degrees.

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

Lol why do you think they are in lawl school? (probably because they couldn't get a good job with their philosophy/english degree)
All you need to get into a top law school is a good GPA and a good LSAT score. Law schools could care less if you were active around campus or interned. If you have that 3.8+ and 172+ you are straiiiight.
I don't know anyone who actively works in fields that deal with English or Philosophy degrees (unless they teach or do something with writing/editing) but you are right, the people I know had very high  grades /  LSAT scores. I don't think they even bothered to look for employment because they went to law school right after graduation. I was just saying they did something more than leave school and expect something to be handed to them (all though probably a poor example because they planned to go to law school). 

It sucks that this is a systematic problem.  And if you aren't smart about it you can easily fail.

I understand the video saying the debt you fall into isn't worth it and to an extent that is correct.  But sadly the way the system is set up, if you want that high paying good job it is extremely difficult with out that piece of paper that says "I graduated college".  Employers at these big firms look at resume's and will literally pick out the 10 best out of a pile of 100 resume's by doing a filter on "College education".  If you don't have it....they throw your resume to the side.  Then after that they look at which college you attended so even then you may not stand a chance.  (this is basically the perspective of filling an entry level position, where there are hundred if not thousands of applicants).

If employers had different hiring processes like an essay or short phone interview or something for every applicant, then non-college educated people would stand a chance at getting one of these jobs.  But the system isn't set up that way so unfortunately in the dog-eat-dog world we live in college has become a business for people to make money more then it is an institution to better the future of our planet. 

The problem is learning has been commoditized. The greatest minds aren't born from school, they're born from practice. Whether you're talking about the greatest athletes, musicians, mathematicians, etc. They all had one thing in common: meaningful practice, and lots of it. Read about Lazlo Polgar if you doubt this. Plenty of books have been written on the subject.

School forces students to be 'well-rounded', diluting the education process and wasting quite a bit of time. There are only a handful of people that high school and college are useful for(doctors, lawyers, engineers), and even then, the process is inefficient at best. But if your goal is to be an artist, create art! If you want to start your own business, learn from businessmen who are actually practicing and learning practical lessons, not an economics teacher. The education system is one of the biggest scams of civilization and it is perpetuating the generations of cluelessness that exist today.

Einstein has said:
“If you judge a fish by its capacity to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life thinking that he is stupid

When it comes down to it, for the majority of us, a degree is a foot in the door. It's the only way into most top corporations, like it or not.

Originally Posted by Peja4Prez

When it comes down to it, for the majority of us, a degree is a foot in the door. It's the only way into most top corporations, like it or not.

5ocui0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom