COCAINE, HEROIN, MARIJUANA ARE DECRIMINALIZED!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090821/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_drug_decriminalization

in mexico....
alien.gif

That's very interesting.. I think it is a good idea (step in the right direction to try and do something) especially with how bad the system is for drugsdown there..

i was waiting to see which non American country this was about before I opened the thread

I hope this really curbs the violence down there im sure that's one of the main reasons they did this..I didn't read the article.

not good... there are going to be mass murders in mexico these following months. no joke.

i know most wont read the article and just comment based on the title...its not even that serious...i mean 1) its MEXICO and 2) they are talking small amountsthat would get a pass normally anyways...

just like in the US in a major city you can usually get away with a little of this or that...its not like its a free for all now
"This is not legalization, this is regulating the issue and giving citizens greater legal certainty," said Bernardo Espino del Castillo of the attorney general's office.

The new law sets out maximum "personal use" amounts for drugs, also including LSD and methamphetamine. People detained with those quantities no longer face criminal prosecution.

Espino del Castillo says, in practice, small users almost never did face charges anyway. Under the previous law, the possession of any amount of drugs was punishable by stiff jail sentences, but there was leeway for addicts caught with smaller amounts.

"We couldn't charge somebody who was in possession of a dose of a drug, there was no way ... because the person would claim they were an addict," he said.

Despite the provisions, police sometimes hauled in suspects and demanded bribes, threatening long jail sentences if people did not pay.

"The bad thing was that it was left up to the discretion of the detective, and it could open the door to corruption or extortion," Espino del Castillo said.

Anyone caught with drug amounts under the new personal-use limit will be encouraged to seek treatment, and for those caught a third time treatment is mandatory.

The maximum amount of marijuana for "personal use" under the new law is 5 grams - the equivalent of about four joints. The limit is a half gram for cocaine, the equivalent of about 4 "lines." For other drugs, the limits are 50 milligrams of heroin, 40 milligrams for methamphetamine and 0.015 milligrams for LSD.

Mexico has emphasized the need to differentiate drug addicts and casual users from the violent traffickers whose turf battles have contributed to the deaths of more than 11,000 people since President Felipe Calderon took office in late 2006.

Originally Posted by Ryda421

i wonder what kind of financial impact this will have on drug dealers...

i really haven't read much on the drug situation in mexico beyond the general drug war casualty articles, but i am going to go ahead and say it won'tchange much. i would assume that the majority of profit for the dealers comes from smuggling the drugs into wealthier countries then selling them there for agreater profit. thus decriminalizing locally probably won't hurt the dealers much at all financially.

now legalize drugs in america and the dealers in mexico as well as plenty of other countries, ours included, will take a serious financial hit.

Originally Posted by boxer

Originally Posted by Ryda421

i wonder what kind of financial impact this will have on drug dealers...
now legalize drugs in america and the dealers in mexico as well as plenty of other countries, ours included, will take a serious financial hit.

This is one of my main reasons why i think drugs will never be legal in America.

Back
Top Bottom