Coach fired after 100-0 victory__ Story + link

[h2]Coach says team played with honor[/h2]
ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 26, 2009, 12:31 PM ET

DALLAS -- The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper saying he will not apologize "for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

On its Web site last week, the Covenant School of Dallas, a private Christian school, posted a statement regretting the outcome of its Jan. 13 shutout win over Dallas Academy. "It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christlike and honorable approach to competition," said the statement, signed by Kyle Queal, head of school, and board chair Todd Doshier.

Covenant coach Micah Grimes, who has been criticized for letting the game get so far out of hand, made it clear in the e-mail Sunday to The Dallas Morning News that he does not agree with his school's assessment.

"In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Web site, I do not agree with the apology or the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel embarrassed or ashamed," Grimes wrote in the e-mail, according to the newspaper. "We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

Queal would not say if Grimes was fired because of the coach's statement, but told the newspaper that Grimes "now only represents himself."

A phone number for Grimes could not be located by The Associated Press. The Dallas Morning News said Grimes did not respond to its repeated e-mail requests for a telephone interview.

Queal did not immediately return a phone message left at his home Sunday afternoon by the AP. There was no answer at a number listed for Doshier.

A parent who attended the game said Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

[h4]No Mercy[/h4]
When should competition take a back seat to compassion? In high school sports, the debate rages after a recent 100-0 girls' basketball blowout, writes Jeff Miller. MORE

Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the past four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls' basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become one-sided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, said last week. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

The story has received national attention, and the Dallas Academy team has been recognized for refusing to give up during the lopsided contest.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/girls/news/story?id=3859935http://sports.espn.go.com...rls/news/story?id=3859935

Guy deserved to get canned after that.

Dudes getting fired for winning by too much now?

Comments aside the firing is ridiculous

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

If a boy's team had been blown out by this wide a margin would people be making as big a stink about all this?

If the boys team was from a school that tailored to kids with learning disabilities i think it would.

Dude went to full court press in the second half after being up 59-0...

He was tryin to get to 100 so he could have his 15 minutes, he got em... now he lost his job

The opposing coach should have thrown in the towel...He's just as guilty...

Why prcatice something for hours a day just to NOT use it effectively?

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

If a boy's team had been blown out by this wide a margin would people be making as big a stink about all this?

If the boys team was from a school that tailored to kids with learning disabilities i think it would.

How are learning disabilities relevant to a basketball game?

Its not like they're mentally handicapped...

Exactly....Look at Kevin Garnett

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

The opposing coach should have thrown in the towel...He's just as guilty...

Why prcatice something for hours a day just to NOT use it effectively?

Why didn't the officials meet with both coaches at the half and come to the conclusion the game was well in the bag?

that's what got me...

...you can't tell the team to stop shooting, that's dumb... but you dont' have to go full press on a team that's clearly your inferior.

I can swat the shot of my 5 yr old niece...that doesn't mean I should.

There will be a lawsuit, expect the coach who was termintaed to be the last one laughing after this.

Originally Posted by Joe McKnight Is BALLIN

deserved it. how you going to run a full court press on a special ed team all game?

The opposing coach should have taught them a "Press Breaker"...problem solved

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

that's what got me...

...you can't tell the team to stop shooting, that's dumb... but you dont' have to go full press on a team that's clearly your inferior.

I can swat the shot of my 5 yr old niece...that doesn't mean I should.

If you wanted your niece to get better at avoiding getting her shot blocked you would....

Poor timing I think.

This is further adding fuel to the fire.

As for the coach, I agree that there's a point that you should get to where you say to yourself "you know what... this isn't worth it".

How much more fulfilling would it have been if he had told his girls to let the other team score 2 points right at the end?

He would have taught a valuable lesson AND been looked at as an all-around great guy by pretty much everyone.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

There will be a lawsuit, expect the coach who was termintaed to be the last one laughing after this.
how do you figure? private school...they can pretty much do what they want.

Right but im sure the school doesnt exactly stress athletics... they havent won a single game in 4 years... this coach went into the game knowingthese things and inflicted as much pain as possible by putting up triple digits and shutting them out...

This isnt the pro's where a coach (i.e. BB) can say that this is a job and hes just running his offence and its their job to stop it etc., Its girls highschool ball.

No class

Originally Posted by SHUGES

How much more fulfilling would it have been if he had told his girls to let the other team score 2 points right at the end?

He would have taught a valuable lesson AND been looked at as an all-around great guy by pretty much everyone.

Ummm, yeah no thanks

If I was Dallas Academy I would have been even more embarrassed if he opposing team basically laid down and gave me two points

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Lawsuit for what? Texas is an at-will employment state so the coach could get fired for any or no reason except prohibited reasons such as (race,age, sex, etc).

Basics.

He is bogus as hell for pressing up 59 tho
laugh.gif

If that team hasnt won a game in 4 years then why waste money on having a competetive Basketball team that plays other Highschools?....They should just have anin-school intermural league...

/thread

Back
Top Bottom