Chicago Bears Off-Season Thread (8-8)

So as we all know, the Bears beat the Vikings today and finish the season 8-8. Kinda steamed they didn't lose to get a better draft pick for the off-season. Thoughts?

Mines
-Caleb Hanie, Marion Barber, and Roy Williams are HISTORY after today
-Jerry Angelo is a ****** who couldn't spot talent if it stung him in the scrotum. Seriously, he should think about retirement
-Kinda ironic how two teams who had high expectations last season ended up 8-8 for the season and missed the Playoffs (Im referring to the Bears and Jets)
-Hopefully this season is a wake up call for the FO. We're not a great football team and both the Lions and Packers are looking to sew up the NFC North division for years to come
-Mike Martz needs to go
-This season could have been saved if it had not been for Caleb Hanie. This dude sure didn't live up to his expectations. I don't expect to see him in a NFL uniform next season

1. TRADE MATT FORTE!!! if someone is willing to give you a 1st or 2nd rounder TAKE IT!! (I love forte, but im not trying to go into next season with him holding out) If we arent going to pay him, TRADE HIM.
2. Try signing one of these WR's...Colston, Bowe, Stevie johnson, VJackson (I prefer either colston or Bowe)

3. If we do trade Forte, sign Pierre Thomas (get him on the cheap and hes only 26 with not a lot of miles on him. they have the same skill set. Only thing that seperates them is that thomas is kind of injury prone)

4. Trade up in the draft to get Michael Floyd.

If you can go into next season with Your WR core being...For example...Bowe, michael Floyd, Earl Bennett, knox
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Im soooo sick of this team being defensive minded... I want to see some damn offense!! Build around your damn franchise QB.

Sign Bowe, bring in Pierre Thomas, or a Tashard Choice.
Draft another lineman in the first round, or trade let one of the bad teams trade back into the first and take the lineman with our first pick in the second.
Keep Martz, if that doesn't happen then make Tice the coordinator with Cutler as the assistant.
Bring in Jason Campbell as the backup.

If you can find a legit corner on the market then move Tillman to strong S. I would rather be a little soft back there and be able to cover than have Wright back there who cant cover.
Find a weak side OLB who can play.
The DT rotation was decent. Keep it, but hope that someone emerges to make a solid go to guy.
Keep DJ Moore healthy for Nickle situations. Corey Graham played decent, but ideally Moore is out there making plays.

As I type I find out Angelo is gone..... YES SIR.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Sign Bowe, bring in Pierre Thomas, or a Tashard Choice.
Draft another lineman in the first round, or trade let one of the bad teams trade back into the first and take the lineman with our first pick in the second.
Keep Martz, if that doesn't happen then make Tice the coordinator with Cutler as the assistant.
Bring in Jason Campbell as the backup.

If you can find a legit corner on the market then move Tillman to strong S. I would rather be a little soft back there and be able to cover than have Wright back there who cant cover.
Find a weak side OLB who can play.
The DT rotation was decent.

As I type I find out Angelo is gone..... YES SIR.

YES!!!!!!

This is the best news Ive heard in the past decade. This guy has ruined this team..thank god this Cancer is finally gone!

Fantastic Day. $!%# you Jerry Angelo. You're an arragont $!%#. You shouldve been fired a long time ago. Good riddance you $!%# $!%#.

Originally Posted by arstyle27

Fantastic Day. $!%# you Jerry Angelo. You're an arragont $!%#. You shouldve been fired a long time ago. Good riddance you $!%# $!%#.
THIS.

I can honestly be excited about our future now. Finally we can have a competent GM who will address our issues. This is the same ****** who said our OL was great as it was and didn't need any adjustments. And this same d-bag who pushed for Caleb Hanie as Jay's backup, which in turn costed us the Playoffs. 

Let's look at it this way..since 2007, the Bears have only made the Playoffs once. The Packers have been in the Playoffs 4 times AND have won the Super Bowl. that alone is reason enough to why his sorry %+*% had to go!!

Wow, the team got it right. Keeping Lovie was the right thing to do. I think he's done an excellent job coaching this team specifically the last 3 years or so despite the lemons Angelo kept giving him to play with. Interesting to see if the Polians end up in Chi-Town...Who do Bear fans want to see as the OC? Tice? Brian Billick?

Originally Posted by sthebest

THIS.

I can honestly be excited about our future now. Finally we can have a competent GM who will address our issues. This is the same ****** who said our OL was great as it was and didn't need any adjustments. And this same d-bag who pushed for Caleb Hanie as Jay's backup, which in turn costed us the Playoffs. 

Let's look at it this way..since 2007, the Bears have only made the Playoffs once. The Packers have been in the Playoffs 4 times AND have won the Super Bowl. that alone is reason enough to why his sorry %+*% had to go!!

Barring major injury problems, Green Bay will be owning that division for several more years.  Your best bet would to find a more offensive minded GM going forward and build from there...if you look at the top 3 or 4 teams in the league, they all have below average defenses but scary offenses.  Seems to be the trend in the NFL and even college football that won't be ending anytime soon.

Originally Posted by mjd77

THIS.

Barring major injury problems, Green Bay will be owning that division for several more years.  Your best bet would to find a more offensive minded GM going forward and build from there...if you look at the top 3 or 4 teams in the league, they all have below average defenses but scary offenses.  Seems to be the trend in the NFL and even college football that won't be ending anytime soon.
Whatever you say guy.  Go worry about how you are going to beat the Saints.

Originally Posted by mjd77

THIS.

Yeah, we do need to find a offensive minded GM. The NFL is no longer run by teams that are focused on defense. Offense is the key. With a few decent draft picks and some free agent pickups, Im now confident that the Bears can once again become contenders. The key is to get some decent protection for Jay Cutler and some receivers he can throw to.

Great on the firing of Angelo, wasting the primes of a lot of players.. Mike Browns, whatever.... They should see what they can get in some trades if Forte doesn't get resigned...

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

It'll be interesting to see who they bring in... Hopefully they don't promote from inside.

I hope not!! I still think this is a weird situation. How you gonna hire someone to be your GM, but tell him he HAS TO KEEP LOVIE AS HIS COACH!! why couldnt we just do it the right way and fire everyone, hire a gm and let him hire his own coach?!?

Because Lovie has made Lemons into lemonade. Lovie's staff has been great. That line improved/ had more 7-8 protection schemes when Cutler and Tice had more imput. And the line actually had players improve on it.
Marinelli had a great year from a cheap defensive line outside of Peppers
Special teams was special teams

Is the scheme antiquated?
Yes, but the coaching isnt the problem.
I like that they play the cover 2 less, but you got to get guys who can play more man and cover 3 and 1 as well as be good in cover 2 tampa shell. Angelo hasn't supplied them, and specifically avoided Carlos Rogers who could have been that guy.
It also bother's me that there isnt a developmental MLB behind Brian Urlacher. Brian isnt Ray Lewis where he can take on a bunch of blocks and still be effective. A lot of their problems defensing the running game stem from guys who are almost strictly trying to get up the field. But teams still usually cannot run consistently against them.
When your main defensive issues are break downs with new personel your in a good position.
I dont want an offensive coach though. I want more talent on offense.

Back
Top Bottom