Champions League knockout stage draw

Originally Posted by APLX2

Let's say when it's all said and he never wins a world cup but he murders the competition in l:a Liga and the UEFA for years to come. He has to be considered one of, if not the greatest off all time.

"One of" the greatest? Sure. THE greatest? No. It might seem cruel, but he HAS to win a World Cup to be considered THE greatest.

Just playing devil's advocate here.

Say another George Weah comes along and plays 8 years in La Liga or the EPL. Say he scores 250 goals in Spain or England during that stretch, 45 in UCL matches and wins five League titles and three UCL's. Say he's a four-time FWP too. But he's from Liberia, so he's not sniffing a WC. Does this mean he's automatically eliminated from GOAT discussion?

Originally Posted by NIMFH

Just playing devil's advocate here.

Say another George Weah comes along and plays 8 years in La Liga or the EPL. Say he scores 250 goals in Spain or England during that stretch, 45 in UCL matches and wins five League titles and three UCL's. Say he's a four-time FWP too. But he's from Liberia, so he's not sniffing a WC. Does this mean he's automatically eliminated from GOAT discussion?

#1 Yes.
#2 Messi is not from Liberia, but from a top 4 football nation in history.

I dont think Messi has to win the World Cup to be considered GOAT but he has to play well and shine which i think he has yet to do. One thing though, i'm wondering why people keep on saying that this Barcelona team is probably one of the greatest of all time. i personally believe that the squad the had last year was better

Originally Posted by BlackMomo

i personally believe that the squad the had last year was better

Nope. This year they have perfected their "style" of play and not to mention Messi is playing better than ever. Last year they were good but this season will be talked about for a while. Hell they have only
lost one game this season so far.

Originally Posted by hoosiers4life

What today really showed me is how good Song is. Messi was a ghost of himself in the first leg. Arsenal were just missing too many players to have a shot. I'd really love to see them play each other at full strength. Don't get me wrong, I still think Barcelona would at least be the favorites, but we were missing Gallas, Van Persie, Fabregas, Song, Arshavin, and Ramsey. That's half of our starting 11. Granted Barca were shorthanded too, but we were missing what I would call 5 of our 6 or 7 best players.

Inter-Barca is the championship match. I just don't think any of the other 4 can beat them, especially without Rooney. Not that its out of the question, I mean Lyon did quiet Madrid, I just don't see it happening.

I'll be pulling for Inter just because the Barca bandwagon is getting overwhelming. Thierry got his, now i don't give a crap about them. Messi is a phenom, but I don't find their football to be that beautiful. They just hold possession and pass it around the back 4 half of that time. Go Nerrazzuri.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
you are soo sad right now.
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by pay jape

Originally Posted by hoosiers4life

What today really showed me is how good Song is. Messi was a ghost of himself in the first leg. Arsenal were just missing too many players to have a shot. I'd really love to see them play each other at full strength. Don't get me wrong, I still think Barcelona would at least be the favorites, but we were missing Gallas, Van Persie, Fabregas, Song, Arshavin, and Ramsey. That's half of our starting 11. Granted Barca were shorthanded too, but we were missing what I would call 5 of our 6 or 7 best players.

Inter-Barca is the championship match. I just don't think any of the other 4 can beat them, especially without Rooney. Not that its out of the question, I mean Lyon did quiet Madrid, I just don't see it happening.

I'll be pulling for Inter just because the Barca bandwagon is getting overwhelming. Thierry got his, now i don't give a crap about them. Messi is a phenom, but I don't find their football to be that beautiful. They just hold possession and pass it around the back 4 half of that time. Go Nerrazzuri.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
you are soo sad right now.
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I don't think what he's saying is ridiculous honestly. I think Barcelona would still win rather comfortably if both teams were at full-strength, but Arsenal was a shell of its former self yesterday. I don't think they would be able to contain Xavi, Iniesta and Messi in the midfield for 180 minutes, but they definitely would have put up a better fight and it could have been a thrilling encounter. If you came away from this tie thinking Arsenal can't compete with Barca, you're mistaken... and this is coming from a Cheslea fan. 

^ I just saw that too!  
eek.gif

Smoke-screen injury or 60%-fit Rooney??? 

Hope its worth the risk and that it won't jeopardize his WC.  If anything goes wrong, England will want Sir's head on a stick. 

Originally Posted by SinnerP

^ I just saw that too!  
eek.gif

Smoke-screen injury or 60%-fit Rooney??? 

Hope its worth the risk and that it won't jeopardize his WC.  If anything goes wrong, England will want Sir's head on a stick. 
If it was a slight injury then ManU fans should be outraged that he missed the Chelsea game. 
I think we might see a Ronaldo in '98 final sort of performance. He'll be worried about re-injuring before the World Cup, and may be dealing with a lot of pain. If he comes out and looks 100% he gets a huge 
indifferent.gif
 from me for missing the Chelsea game. Although I guess 4 days could make a big difference. 
grin.gif

alright i haven't been keeping up with CL much this year. im usually only able to watch the semis and final (on espn usually?)

who is favored to win the whole thing?

going to watch man u bayern when it starts

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Let's say when it's all said and he never wins a world cup but he murders the competition in l:a Liga and the UEFA for years to come. He has to be considered one of, if not the greatest off all time.

"One of" the greatest? Sure. THE greatest? No. It might seem cruel, but he HAS to win a World Cup to be considered THE greatest.
no he doesnt

Same deal as last week.

Keeper was amazingly, almost comically, late in reacting to Gibson's utterly saveable shot.

Bayern must score now.

WHAT A GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eek.gif
goal by Nani. What Joe Cole did over the weekend with more flair.

Doesn't change much for Bayern. The goal they needed is still a necessity.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

no he doesnt

Yes he does. He will never be good enough to a point where you can say that he is hands down better than Pele, Maradona and Zidane so you will always be able to argue that those three were better/just as good AND they have a World Cup, which closes the case.

Anyway, what a goal by Nani!
eek.gif

Man, ManU came out the box with alot of energy. I didnt know Rooney was going to play!

Back
Top Bottom