Career-Wise...How Late Is "Too Late"?

Here I am, a 24 year old recently laid off, a year's worth of college experience (and that debt that comes along with it), and absolutely no idea what the hell to do for a career. Went through my rebellious phase throughout High School and it was a bit of a struggle to get back on the right path to graduate. Because of my struggles, once I actually did it...I figured "Now what?" Decided to try college and found myself bored to tears with it. I worry sometimes, if I'm gonna become one of those 29-30 year old's constantly looking back saying "What if..." I'm thinking about going back to school, but honestly...is the degree really worth it? It seems these days networking outweighs everything else. So how late is too late? Would most companies actually hire a 26-27 year old as opposed to a 22 year old FRESH out of college?

Another side question for those who have embarked on their career path...just how did you choose a career? Is it one that you've always wanted to do? Me personally, I'd like my career to be based on something that I actually have an interest in, that being entertainment (movies, music) and sports.

just get an associates in business, that will at least open doors to entry level positions, work hard and you'll be good man

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

Here I am, a 24 year old recently laid off, a year's worth of college experience (and that debt that comes along with it), and absolutely no idea what the hell to do for a career. Went through my rebellious phase throughout High School and it was a bit of a struggle to get back on the right path to graduate. Because of my struggles, once I actually did it...I figured "Now what?" Decided to try college and found myself bored to tears with it. I worry sometimes, if I'm gonna become one of those 29-30 year old's constantly looking back saying "What if..." I'm thinking about going back to school, but honestly...is the degree really worth it? It seems these days networking outweighs everything else. So how late is too late? Would most companies actually hire a 26-27 year old as opposed to a 22 year old FRESH out of college?

Another side question for those who have embarked on their career path...just how did you choose a career? Is it one that you've always wanted to do? Me personally, I'd like my career to be based on something that I actually have an interest in, that being entertainment (movies, music) and sports.

I'm 31. Have a degree. I've been laid off every year for the past 4 years and rehired as a sub so the "career" is now a job . It just SUCKS right now, period. Degree or not.

I want to go back to get a masters but don't feel like it.

I don't think it's ever to late. You'd be surprised that now a days its the person willing to take least amount of wage that gets the job.

im biased....but here goes my advice.

find the cheapest nursing/radiology/respiratory program around your way
enroll in their waitinglist
get the pre reqs out the way in the meantime
if you do everything right, in 3 years minimum (youll be 27 by then) youll be out there with a degree that will most likely guarantee you a job SOMEWHERE.
try your best to get a nightshift
re-analyze your life then and perhaps go back to school if you want to do something different...you'll have the time ( the jobs i mention, most of them are 12 hour shifts, 3 shifts a week), you'll have the money (these jobs depending on your state and which one you chose...youll be in the 50k to 75k a year starting)

i wish my wife would have listened to me when i told her this at arounf that same age, now shes about to be 29 and is FINALLY taking my advice.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

if you do everything right, in 3 years minimum (youll be 27 by then) youll be out there with a degree that will most likely guarantee you a job SOMEWHERE.
re-analyze your life then and perhaps go back to school if you want to do something different...you'll have the time ( the jobs i mention, most of them are 12 hour shifts, 3 shifts a week), you'll have the money (these jobs depending on your state and which one you chose...youll be in the 50k to 75k a year starting)

i wish my wife would have listened to me when i told her this at arounf that same age, now shes about to be 29 and is FINALLY taking my advice.
Im going to tell my sister this.. Do they hire people with misdemeanors?

Originally Posted by KingSuperbIV

Im going to tell my sister this.. Do they hire people with misdemeanors?

I got a DUI on my record and never had a problem getting a job, ::knock on wood::

more advice like this
smokin.gif
nerd.gif

never.

(Gaugin became one of the most prominent painters in history after 25-30 not to mention a lot of other game changers...)

I'm 33 and I'm working on my Electrical Engineering degree while working as an electrician. I've been back in school for a year and a half now and I've been apprenticing as an electrician for 2 months after jumping through hoops for 8 months to get the opportunity. I consider myself blessed to have all this line up at the right time even though I had to go through some bullspit to get here.

I'm getting paid to go to school by my employer, I get full benefits, regular noncompetitive raises and retirement benefits. I'm taking 20 units this semester, all with a wife and 2 kids. If I can do it you can. Before this I was working part time and before that I was a graphic designer for 6 years. Never too late.

My advice, go to USAjobs.gov find an apprenticeship program. They train you while paying for your education and in some cases bring the professors to your work and you rotate 2 weeks of on the job training and 2 weeks of classes. You'll be a government employee getting all the benefits, plus you're getting paid to get your degree. If you're a go-getter like me, you'll take advantage and when you're certified as a journeyman in 4 years, you'll have two degrees and you'll be making a comfortable salary with a lot of options.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by 6 got dem handlez

If you don't have a career by atleast 30 you're NEVER gonna have one 

You're how old?
grin.gif

Not 30 yet?
eyes.gif

Sit down.
indifferent.gif

I was in the same position you are in and the lack of opportunities forced me to look into college.  I didn't start on my associates until I was 23-24.  I went to community college since I never took SATs and had a HS GPA of less than 2.0 lol. I got a 3.6 and am now 1 year away from completing a bachelors in Business Admin/Financeat a top 15 business school at 29 years old.  Anything is possible.  You can spin your age as a positive, more mature, independently motivated ect. but I am kinda worried myself about job prospects regardless of age.

Another thing is since you are 24 now you are considered independent and your parents income is no longer considered for financial aid purposes.  Unless you been making a lot of money you should be able to get a full ride on your 2 year degree and if you apply to the right spots and have good grades you could get a full ride on your bachelors too.  I will have a degree from a $50k a year private university and never paid a dime out of pocket and have no debt.  If you can get good aid or scholarships I say go for it but I wouldn't be taking out loans.

While this is sound advice at least in California nursing isn't that easy. I forget the specifics but it's like a room of 150 students and you have to score in the top 10 people or top 5% or something crazy. Not saying with hard work you can't do it but it isn't as easy as step 1, step 2, step 3

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

If you don't have a career by atleast 30 you're NEVER gonna have one 

You're how old?
grin.gif

Not 30 yet?
eyes.gif

Sit down.
indifferent.gif

You must not have a career? 
laugh.gif

I get it you can't read, because I just posted what I'm doing...

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

lebron will never get a ring 
OK 
eyes.gif
 , I'm book marking this post too. Might even make it my sig! 
laugh.gif
 do it...42 game seasons don't count tho 
I met King James in person, changed my life forever.

Lame.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

While this is sound advice at least in California nursing isn't that easy. I forget the specifics but it's like a room of 150 students and you have to score in the top 10 people or top 5% or something crazy. Not saying with hard work you can't do it but it isn't as easy as step 1, step 2, step 3
I'm not knocking nursing as a career. I had to stay in a hospital last year and I don't know how some of these nurses deal with these patients. Some of these patients were disrespectful and hard to deal with. Nursing provides a decent income, but I you better have a lot of patience and love your job.

networking outweighs everything else.
Agreed*

Spoiler [+]
*- The best network you can build is in college, unfortunately, some college students haven't figured that out.

Back
Top Bottom