Car question.

joepac12

Banned
Long story short need new fuel pump and battery for 2005 impala. Took it to Firestone. They said 1000. Smh. I got a guy who has been doing small stuff to my car. He said buy a fuel pump from auto zone for 250. Then get a battery from a junkyard and he will charge me 150 to install it. Leaning in this direction cuz 1000 isn't what I expected to pay. Anyone else run into this problem or have any advice.

listen to that guy. but buy a new battery. u dont wanna be stranded in the drive thru with a dead battery

As far as the fuel pump goes, you could be able to do it yourself if you have some experience with working on cars. Most of the info on how to replace it can be found online through forums and stuff. But I'd say you're better off getting a new battery, you can't always trust the batteries that you get from the junkyards cause you don't know how long they have been sitting for and whatnot. 

Last edited:
Cutting corners will get me cut huh. New battery like 130. Not too bad.

get ur battery at costco, for an impala it should be way less than 130 plus its a good warranty. find someone who has a card and take them with u to buy it

Like everyone already said, Buy the battery and the pump yourself....

The battery should be pretty straight forward to put in yourself.

The pump should be a bit more difficult but its also pretty straight forward.....

I once changed the fuel pump on my 2002 Impala which should be the same as the 05....

Just remove the back seat and lift the carpet in the trunk and you will see were it comes out from. Remove a few screws twist like a cap and unplug the sensor.....

very simple.

Save yourself the cash :wink:

Not sure if these codes still work for advanced auto parts. You can try them tho. if they do just make 2 different orders.
  • 20% off Sitewide
    • use promo code P20
  • $10 off $30+ or $25 off $70+ orders
    • use promo code A124
  • $20 off $50+ orders
    • use promo code ES123
  • $30 off $90+ orders
    • use promo code HUGE30
  • $40 off $100+ orders
    • use promo code TRT41
  • $50 off $175+ orders
    • use promo code HUGE50

I may be a lil late on this, but DON'T go to firestone, they charge 75% labor. have your friend install your fuel pump, but the battery is cake you can probably install yourself if you have any common sense.

I worked for AutoZone a few years ago and also 2 other major auto parts stores. I'd recommend getting the battery from AutoZone since their warranty on the Duralast Gold battery is really good. They can test the battery for you to tell you if it's bad or needs a charge, charge it for you if needed for free, and install it if you buy it from them. As far as the fuel pump don't buy it from AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts unless it's an AC Delco fuel pump, which Advance should carry. They both sell a brand called Airtex Masters which is garbage. When replacing the fuel pump make sure you have the fuel strainer and fuel filter replaced. Honestly me I don't like to mess with the fuel pump cause if you mess it up it can leave you stranded I'd rather take it to a shop that would give me a warranty in case it fails. It's more money but gives you peace of mind.

Thanks fellas. Y'all been a big help n gonna cop fuel pump and battery today.

Back
Top Bottom