Car Insurance heads...need you help

Ok so here's the story.  Two days ago, the roof of the parking lot where I park at collapsed and landed on about 15 cars..mine being one of them
today, the apartment complex tells me that they will begin removing the debris from our cars and that I should contact my insurance adjuster to take a look at the damages.  Here is the problem: the car is registered under my brother cause his insurance is literally 5x less than what mine would be.  Would he get in trouble if the insurance adjuster comes and realizes that I'm really the one driving the car?  Would he get fined or something like that?  From what I can tell, the damages to my car are minimal..maybe a few small dents but windows aren't broken so maybe it's not worth it to call my insurance adjuster.
Thanks in advance

Ok so here's the story.  Two days ago, the roof of the parking lot where I park at collapsed and landed on about 15 cars..mine being one of them
today, the apartment complex tells me that they will begin removing the debris from our cars and that I should contact my insurance adjuster to take a look at the damages.  Here is the problem: the car is registered under my brother cause his insurance is literally 5x less than what mine would be.  Would he get in trouble if the insurance adjuster comes and realizes that I'm really the one driving the car?  Would he get fined or something like that?  From what I can tell, the damages to my car are minimal..maybe a few small dents but windows aren't broken so maybe it's not worth it to call my insurance adjuster.
Thanks in advance

I think it doesnt matter who was driving, as long as the car is insured... Now if something happened to you while you were driving the car, then you personally wouldnt get any help since you not insured...

Correct me if Im wrong
nerd.gif

I think it doesnt matter who was driving, as long as the car is insured... Now if something happened to you while you were driving the car, then you personally wouldnt get any help since you not insured...

Correct me if Im wrong
nerd.gif

There are always loopholes for you to get by on, but likewise for your insurance company.

You should READ your policy and keep in mind that you are the third person here. Regardless if you making the payments. If your bro is submitting the payments to them in his name they will most likely want to talk to him.

Good luck tho. Sorry bout your whip.

There are always loopholes for you to get by on, but likewise for your insurance company.

You should READ your policy and keep in mind that you are the third person here. Regardless if you making the payments. If your bro is submitting the payments to them in his name they will most likely want to talk to him.

Good luck tho. Sorry bout your whip.

I should contact my insurance adjuster to take a look at the damages.

why aren't their insurance adjusters coming out to look at the damage?
their building insurance should be paying for the damage..not your auto insurance

their building insurance should be paying for the damage..not your auto insurance

Welp. It depends. Many insurance policies require you to list all the drivers of the car. If you drive, crash, and are not listed they can deny the claim. Other insurance policies cover the car regardless of who was driving. This situation is a little different as no one was driving the car.

Welp. It depends. Many insurance policies require you to list all the drivers of the car. If you drive, crash, and are not listed they can deny the claim. Other insurance policies cover the car regardless of who was driving. This situation is a little different as no one was driving the car.

Dirty, I think they suggested my own insurance adjuster so it would be more independent than if they came and gave me an estimate?
And I'm pretty sure the building's insurance is paying for it.
Benjamin, the car is at my apartment complex and my brother lives about 300 miles away...Im assuming thats enough for them to figure out I mainly drive the car.
But my brother is going to call them later today and tell them that he let me borrow the car for a week and then have someone come take a look at it i guess.

Dirty, I think they suggested my own insurance adjuster so it would be more independent than if they came and gave me an estimate?
And I'm pretty sure the building's insurance is paying for it.
Benjamin, the car is at my apartment complex and my brother lives about 300 miles away...Im assuming thats enough for them to figure out I mainly drive the car.
But my brother is going to call them later today and tell them that he let me borrow the car for a week and then have someone come take a look at it i guess.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Because his insured property was involved.  In this case, it was an automobile so a claims adjuster for automobiles need to assess the damage.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Because his insured property was involved.  In this case, it was an automobile so a claims adjuster for automobiles need to assess the damage.

so my brother called his insurance agent GEICO and they told him that since he only has liability coverage on his vehicle, they can't send someone out to take a look at the damages..wth
I have the number to the apartment complex's insurance agent, but he isn't in his office...fml

so my brother called his insurance agent GEICO and they told him that since he only has liability coverage on his vehicle, they can't send someone out to take a look at the damages..wth
I have the number to the apartment complex's insurance agent, but he isn't in his office...fml

Dude I work for Allstate in CA. normally insurance follows the car, not the person. Unless you are excluded. But in this case it doesn't even matter.

If the apt complex wants an estimate then take it to a local shop get your estimate and give it to management, maybe go to a couple so they think your not tryin to screw em. If thats not good enough for them then let them hire their own person to look at the damages. Either way you should end up with a check. If you choose to get the damages fixed that's up to you.

Geico is right there not gonna come check out the car if your not paying for comprehensive coverage.

Dude I work for Allstate in CA. normally insurance follows the car, not the person. Unless you are excluded. But in this case it doesn't even matter.

If the apt complex wants an estimate then take it to a local shop get your estimate and give it to management, maybe go to a couple so they think your not tryin to screw em. If thats not good enough for them then let them hire their own person to look at the damages. Either way you should end up with a check. If you choose to get the damages fixed that's up to you.

Geico is right there not gonna come check out the car if your not paying for comprehensive coverage.

Originally Posted by qwerty330

I mean that kinda makes sense....

I mean that kinda makes sense....

Your insurance has nothing to do with anything. Why would you call them to come check it out anyways?

Back
Top Bottom