Can I move out on my own with 1600-1800 a month income?

I RAISED MY DAUGHTER ON 1800 A MONTH FOR 2 YEARS IN NYC...

YALL DUDES TALKING LIKE YOU NEED 100K TO MOVE OBVIOUSLY NEVER BEEN THROUGH NO STRUGGLE NOR DO YOU HAVE ANY XP IN LIFE PERIOD.

JUST DO IT HOMIE...

Some of ya'll are just scared kids. That "stackin" is an excuse.

Semi agree.

Here is the thing, the ONLY acceptable reason as to why you are 29 years old, bringing in 200k a year and still at home is because you are stacking for a house, now think about this....jumping straight into a house directly from living under your parents roof might be a shock and you may not be ready for it mentally...think of it as being in a warm room and suddenly stepping into the North Pole....I feel like you have to wean yourself in....even if you can afford a house, experience living on your own but without the stress of property taxes, maintanence costs of a house, oil, etc....learn to pay monthly bills, then once you've gotten used to that, think of the house, I don't see the point of owning a house without a family to be honest.

I can see where Mark is coming from saying that it just seems like an excuse to not let go of the umbilical chord, to each it's own though.

Semi agree.

Here is the thing, the ONLY acceptable reason as to why you are 29 years old, bringing in 200k a year and still at home is because you are stacking for a house, now think about this....jumping straight into a house directly from living under your parents roof might be a shock and you may not be ready for it mentally...think of it as being in a warm room and suddenly stepping into the North Pole....I feel like you have to wean yourself in....even if you can afford a house, experience living on your own but without the stress of property taxes, maintanence costs of a house, oil, etc....learn to pay monthly bills, then once you've gotten used to that, think of the house, I don't see the point of owning a house without a family to be honest.

I can see where Mark is coming from saying that it just seems like an excuse to not let go of the umbilical chord, to each it's own though.
or how about some people just dont like houses.

if money was absolutely no object i'd STILL not get a house.

i would real talk just buy to adjacent apartments in da heights and have a huge condo.

OP needs to just chill until he can afford to leave if he wants to bounce so badly..and honestly with da income he's bringing in he's way better off

renting out a room.

I looking for a 1br or studio for around 900 a month in Queens or Nassau County. I know its rare to find any at that price but they are out there. Cell phone bill is 96 dollars, car note is 350 dollars a  month. I wanna have around 2500-3000 dollars saved up before I actually move. Tax return money will help. Im a 23 year old single guy and would like to finally move out from under my parents. Is it possible/smart?
OP, I'm in the exact same situation as you. I rake in about 1900/month and am trying to move out. I currently live with my parents in queens but at 26 years old it's getting to the point where it's unbearable. Sometimes I just want to come home and light up a joint in peace or bring a girl over for the night or bring some friends over on a friday night for some beers.
Only advice I can give you since i'm on the same boat and have no prior experience living on my own is what I'm currently doing which is: save up at least half a year's rent 6k. Look for a roomate, depending on the part of queens you want to move to you can find a 2 bedroom for 1800/mnth but look for a 1 bedroom that can be converted to a 2 bedroom, you can find a 1 bedroom for 1300-1500/mnth split by 2 ppl and you're looking at about 700/mnth on rent. Unless you want to live in a really grimy part of nyc, you're not going to find studio/1 bedroom for under a grand. I'd like peace of mind and not to be stopped and frisked by cops in my own neighborhood.
Sell the car, unless you work in nassau county. 100 a month on an unlimited metrocard goes a long way especially if you live and commute to parts of the city where mass transit is available. If you stay with the car, look for a basement room or something similar in LI, you have the car to get to the city.
Check craigslist, there alot of postings on there and you can put out an add stating what you're looking for and some1 may get back to you.
Save money on food by going back to your moms and taking back a ton of food if she's cool with it. I know my mom is.
Also, if you have good credit, start applying now for lottery apartments. They're popping up all over the place in NYC. They aren't section 8 or government housing. They are really nice, modern looking apartment buildingswith washing machines, gyms, etc. where you can end up paying as little as 400/mnth for an apt. in a cool spot like williamsburg.

Last edited:
A house is very inconvenient especially if you're young and a bachelor. Houses are typically for families, they aren't easy to unload when you're tired of living there and it signifies a HUGE commitment. On top of that you have property taxes, etc. depending on where you live. Like Ninjahood said, if money was no object I'd opt for a dope apartment or condo. Money isn't an object for many in New York City and they choose to live in apartments/condos because of their overall convenience. Its not something you're tied down to and a house doesn't mean that its yours. Like rent, you miss your mortgage a few times or are late, the bank will take what is theirs.

I'll reiterate once again. OP just needs to chill and put up with whatever beef he has with his parents. Your money is ****** up. Fall back, let your account grow while taking care of the few responsibilities you have while at home. This time next year, if you have at least 10k in your account and you still want to move out, you'll have more of my support then. Rent is crazy expensive and you don't have any means to support yourself.

i would real talk just buy to adjacent apartments in da heights and have a huge condo.

OP needs to just chill until he can afford to leave if he wants to bounce so badly..and honestly with da income he's bringing in he's way better off

renting out a room.

I know of a few people who did just that, grabbed up two apartments and turn them into one, not sure how legal that is though, since you are altering the structure of the building.

Or some of ya'll are just salty because you never had the privilege or opportunity to be smart enough stay home and stack...

Is hard to regret being independent even when is not easy or be jealous of someone who lives @ home, every day you are independent you are learning a valuable lesson on how to hold your own and gain a lot of pride, which you can't really put a price tag on.

Ball out bruh.

iving someone $900 a month doesn't make you "INDEPENDENT"...it makes you an "IDIOT"

If your that desperate to get away from your parents, might aswell pull a Johnny Depp and live out of your car (after all, your paying $350/month for it already)

Apartment = Human Filing Cabinet

iving someone $900 a month doesn't make you "INDEPENDENT"...it makes you an "IDIOT"
If your that desperate to get away from your parents, might aswell pull a Johnny Depp and live out of your car (after all, your paying $350/month for it already)
Apartment = Human Filing Cabinet
This.

Wasn't speaking on OP....he's in no position to move out, he will struggle, I was speaking on people making 6k monthly, 100-200k yearly....like get real....don't feed people this BS of stacking paper for something better, you like the idea of minimal responsabilities and more money, it's a simple idea and what's not to like about it....

There are a multitude of factors to consider OP when moving out. Can you move out? Yes you can. Will it be tight? Yes it will, but do your research to see what you can find.

Maybe what you could do while you're at home is to put away $900 a month like you would be paying rent to see how life would be like living off what you have left. The pros of that is you will be saving $900 a month and you can see if you can adjust to that lifestyle of being more frugal while living at home still.

Your assertion would make more sense if these were times of growth in the economy. 

I had a friend who was pulling in twice what OP did and moved out. 4 months later he lost his job. He had to move in with his GF. 

With the money OP is bringing in, that tells us that he's not in a highly skilled position. Which means that he can be easily replaced. It also means that it's not easy to find another one fairly quick. 

If it's a position with extremely strong job security (aka government job) then I'd tell OP to go ahead but government jobs don't pay that low to begin with. 

renting out a room.
yall up in nyc right?

i guess its different down here in the south... you can cop a house for the low.99... you gotta jump on highways to get to anything anyway...

question though...

i'm already on my own... past op... and my rent is $575.. i'm thinking about moving on up to the east side...

seen a studio apt in a NICE part of town (Frisco) w/ covered garage... real ritzy area... for $700...

anyone ever did the studio apt thing? this apt i'm in now is cool as a fan... nothing special...

but the covered parking plus nice area AND its 2 min from my job is #bawse

I RAISED MY DAUGHTER ON 1800 A MONTH FOR 2 YEARS IN NYC...
YALL DUDES TALKING LIKE YOU NEED 100K TO MOVE OBVIOUSLY NEVER BEEN THROUGH NO STRUGGLE NOR DO YOU HAVE ANY XP IN LIFE PERIOD.
JUST DO IT HOMIE...
That's probably because you didn't have any other viable options. 

~50% of income earners in the US make under 35k . A sizable group of them live on their own. Earning a low income and living on your own has no intrinsic virtue. 

Last edited:
yall up in nyc right?
i guess its different down here in the south... you can cop a house for the low.99... you gotta jump on highways to get to anything anyway...
question though...
i'm already on my own... past op... and my rent is $575.. i'm thinking about moving on up to the east side...
seen a studio apt in a NICE part of town (Frisco) w/ covered garage... real ritzy area... for $700...
anyone ever did the studio apt thing? this apt i'm in now is cool as a fan... nothing special...
but the covered parking plus nice area AND its 2 min from my job is #bawse
To give you an idea of the strength of the NYC rental market; there are rooms going for $800-$900/month in undesirable neighborhoods.

Rooms in ****** neighborhoods.....$900.

I don't understand why it's such a bad thing to stay at home with your parents in your 20's, as long as everyone's getting along... You're only hurting yourself by rushing to get out on your own when you more than likely aren't financially able to do so.. I realize that everyone's family situation might not be the same, but I get along with my parents great... When I graduated from college my dad told me "I couldn't afford to pay for college or buy you a car as a graduation present (they did give me and old Jeep that I rode until the wheels fail off 6 years later), but what I can do is let you stay at home as long as you need to put yourself in a better position". I took his advice/offer and moved back home from the age of 21 to little over 25 and it was the best decision... I saved a very large sum of money that put me in position to buy/furnish a condo, pay for my wedding, buy/rehab a four unit building, and my credit is 800+... During the time of living with my parents, my friends that were living on there own were calling me 'cheap' and a 'momma's boy' for still being at home, but I could care less... Some of those same friends are back home living with their parents and they're telling me they should've just stayed until they were truly ready to be on there own... Bottom line: Staying at home (If Possible) will put you in a great position in your future, providing that you save properly and take advantage of the situation... Heck, I have neighbors from India who have kids in their 30's that still live with them so maybe this is just an American thing... 

I don't understand why it's such a bad thing to stay at home with your parents in your 20's

It isn't.

You move out when you're ready to move out, that's it.

Obviously some people have crappy living situations or parents that force them out @ 18 or w/e, but if you're able to live at home and save your money, then IMO, you take full advantage of it.

As far as you, OP, anything is possible if you're willing to work.

These people can give your their rules of thumb and advice, but at the end of the day, everyone is different.

If you're willing to live paycheck to paycheck w/ above average stress levels for a while, then yes, you can move out.

A lot of people don't want to, or simply cannot live like that, though.

If you can suck it up for a few years and work your *** off, then you'll be fine.

I would also consider selling that car that you're paying 350/month for, and maybe buy something cheaper or start taking the bus, especially if you plan on living in NYC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom