Can I move out on my own with 1600-1800 a month income?

in nyc you'll be scraping to get by. It's doable but say good-bye to luxuries...and by luxuries I mean honey nut cheerios type luxuries at the very least.

Couple of things that could help is lowering the bills you have now. Look into a prepaid like straight talk, $45 a month unlimited everything. I pay 43 a month using auto pay, and there's deals out there for 38 bucks for the refills. And maybe refinance for a lower rate and monthly payment if possible. Get in the groove of bringing your own lunch. That buying your lunch everyday life is an expensive *** trap.

People that buy lunch everyday irk me to no end.

How much hassle is it to make a damb sammich?!

Couple of things that could help is lowering the bills you have now. Look into a prepaid like straight talk, $45 a month unlimited everything. I pay 43 a month using auto pay, and there's deals out there for 38 bucks for the refills. And maybe refinance for a lower rate and monthly payment if possible. Get in the groove of bringing your own lunch. That buying your lunch everyday life is an expensive *** trap.

Deli meats aren't good for you.

Wouldn't be wise to do it. If your only making 2200 a month your best bet would be to just stay at home for another year and save all your money.

Just pay your phone, car and food. Put the rest in savings. You have to factor in all the possible out comes. What are you going to do if you lose your job or your car breaks downs?

My rule with living is this. Week 1 pay- rent, week 2- phone, cable, car, gas etc, week 3- savings and week 4- extra cash

It's hard when you first move out. Especially in NYC. Im paying 2500 for my 2br apt in manhattan (which is a steal). Just use your situation to save up as much as you can before you move

But if you plan on taking the jump. Good luck Op

It depends. 

If you're bringing in a good salary (75k+), what's ~$2500/year ($10/day) on lunch?  You do away with the headache of making your own lunch and you have way more variety. 

If you want to spend only $5/day then $1250 is chump change at that point. 

It depends. 

If you're bringing in a good salary (75k+), what's ~$2500/year ($10/day) on lunch?  You do away with the headache of making your own lunch and you have way more variety. 

Yea, I buy lunch like half the time but I never buy drinks, so I'm usually between $5-8 a day. If I cook or make my own lunch, that also cost money as well. If buying food cost $7, and cooking costs $2-3, saving the $4 a day difference isn't that big a deal.

Dudes on here act like when you bring your own lunch the food is free.

Last edited:
Yea, I buy lunch like half the time but I never buy drinks, so I'm usually between $5-8 a day. If I cook or make my own lunch, that also cost money as well. If buying food cost $7, and cooking costs $2-3, saving the $4 a day difference isn't that big a deal.
Very true. 

With the way inflation on  groceries has been running the last 3-4 years the difference between buying ready made and cooking yourself is decreasing. 

Interesting illustration of the phenomenon:

Last edited:
Maybe I'm weird, but I like making my own lunch. Feels rewarding, and $10 or so I usually spend on the food to make it goes further cos I can use the ingredients for 3-4 days

No, you have to make double what you owe a month to be set. Understand that things happen (car problems, night out, injury, sickness) you have to be more than prepared for these things

Last edited:
Great advice all around in here. You definitely do not want to be living paycheck to paycheck. I dealt with that last year around this same time.

Do you have a job secured? 

It depends. 

There's also people who suck at preparing food and making their own meals. I know people who have empty refrigerators and cabinets. People's lunch shouldn't irk you :lol:.

OP, you can find cheap places in Queens and Nassau County but they will suck. Wait until you have more saved up. Also look on craigslist. My friends have found nice apartments in Flushing and Astoria with roommates and their rents weren't bad.

It depends. 

Exactly. When I was living in Manhattan I tried to cook for myself, but I was barely saving anything by the time I bought expensive *** groceries. And then going through the time/effort to cook something..

A lot of times it's easier just going around the block and paying $5 bucks for some halal. That's a sunk cost I was willing to take

Very true. 

With the way inflation on  groceries has been running the last 3-4 years the difference between buying ready made and cooking yourself is decreasing. 

Interesting illustration of the phenomenon:

View media item 196134

View media item 196135

nice charts. there was a report done by BAC about this and they concluded that eating out is cheaper especially if you factor in grocery shopping, prepping, cooking, cleaning into it. imo it might be better on the wallet but the nutritional factor comes into play so its either your wallet or your healh. theres a turning point depending on how many mouths you feed as well. for a single guy its always gonna be cheaper unless you factor in dates and stuff. but if you have to feed a family of 4 thats when you better pick up some cook books

If you get like 7 other roommates and 2 jobs sure but don't expect to have much fun living like that.

Last edited:
man i want to tell you ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU ARE DETERMINED. I moved from the Bronx 8 months ago out here to columbus, i got a $8/hr job, no HS Diploma or GED and i jus turned 19, i got kiccd outta my house, my girl is pregnant , due in a month and not working, and i still havnt gotten food stamps. If i was in ny it wouldnt work cuz its too xpensive , luccily my homie lives here. I live chec to chec but im going to try and go to school and become a CPA. REMEMBER THE POSITION YOU ARE IN IS TEMPORARY IF YOU WANT IT TO CHANGE !

man i want to tell you ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU ARE DETERMINED. I moved from the Bronx 8 months ago out here to columbus, i got a $8/hr job, no HS Diploma or GED and i jus turned 19, i got kiccd outta my house, my girl is pregnant , due in a month and not working, and i still havnt gotten food stamps. If i was in ny it wouldnt work cuz its too xpensive , luccily my homie lives here. I live chec to chec but im going to try and go to school and become a CPA. REMEMBER THE POSITION YOU ARE IN IS TEMPORARY IF YOU WANT IT TO CHANGE !
yeah your the last one to be giving anybody advice.. i thought you was gonna at least say something positive but nope it never came

Hell no, stack your bread. I made that same mistake you are speaking of and it was a financial nightmare. Living from check to check, late on rent every month, latr on car payments, couldnt get fresh, couldnt do as much for my seed. Bank accounts overdrawn....you dont want that life bro. If you get a lil chick to stay with you and help out then its possible, but you dont wanna be out here like that by yourself if you do nt make enough.

Stay with your parents for an year

And within that year

Find yourself a girl, get cool with her, make her yo girl, and what not 
Explain the situatuion of yourself of how you tryna move out and what not, maybe if your lucky that girl might have her own apt and she could let you in, like that youre in the safe zone while youre still working collecting bank

but nonetheless, when that year ends and youve finally made enough to feel ready, maybe you and ol girl could move in together, and go halfs on the apartment,  electric/gas/water bill, cable/internet,

dont worry on the food ,[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]gas, auto insurance, clothes, entertainment cause that is all on yourself , your mood, but you will survive with yo girl bro[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]but hope it will all work out :smile:[/color]

No one mentioned this which surprises me. Save your money to BUY an apartment. Move into it. If you feel like its too much for you, rent it out at your morgage value or near it so that you are still paying off your morgage but you're earning a return from the property value. Live at home but stack up.

No one mentioned this which surprises me. Save your money to BUY an apartment. Move into it. If you feel like its too much for you, rent it out at your morgage value or near it so that you are still paying off your morgage but you're earning a return from the property value. Live at home but stack up.
What do you mean

can you teach me some valuable life lessons for the sake of my future

cmon big brother give some tips you a fellow young nt'er whos about to be out there in the real world

Back
Top Bottom