Camera Heads HELP! Nikon D60 vs. Canon EOS Rebel XS (1000D)

353_25438_D60_front.jpg
vs.
canon-eos-rebel-xs-1000d-digital-slr.jpg

I'mlooking into purchasing my first SLR camera, and from what I know its either Nikon or Canon.
So, with not spending more than $500 which of these two would be my best choice?
nerd.gif

BE CAREFUL, THEY'RE BOTH CROP CAMERAS

DAT MEANZ DA FSTOP WILL GO FROM 3.5 TO 5.6 BECAUSE OF DA SENSORZ IN DEM . SO IF YEW BUY A F1.7 PRIME LENS, IT WILL BE A 2.8 ZOOM MMKAY

Save up and get a d90 my n'!!!!!!

nah i dont even know if its any good. i just got a boner when i found out its got a movie mode
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

its a nikon though so im guessing its the business....movie mode with interchangable lenses is a good look. perverts the world over should be rejoicing
pimp.gif

Demax777 wrote:
I'm looking in my first SLR camera, and from what I know its either Nikon or Canon.
So, with not spending more than $500 which of these two would be my best choice?
nerd.gif

All of that is over my head. I'm used to having a compact Canon. So, I know nothing about changing the lens or even what fstop means...please re-explain inlamest terms.
eyes.gif

I have the D60 since august. im really happy with it. since its my first SLR and im new to all this i cant give you any tipps... im just happy with it.. easymenu and theres a "?" for most of the things that helped me a lot...

Check out the Photography thread... Mjbetch is selling his D80 for less than $500.

I just bought the Canon Rebel XSi..it's bananas!!! I'm kinda new to it myself but you get the hang of it after a while. I mean I believe bothcameras are user friendly & have automatic menus, which is basically a point and shoot type thing. But I think when you get into the creative side of it,you just need to keep shooting until you find the right settings. My advice would be read the manual for the basics and then tune in YOUTUBE. Youtube is the*#!% they give you a decent instructional videos which helped me a little bit.

Originally Posted by Forgot About Jae

DAT MEANZ DA FSTOP WILL GO FROM 3.5 TO 5.6 BECAUSE OF DA SENSORZ IN DEM . SO IF YEW BUY A F1.7 PRIME LENS, IT WILL BE A 2.8 ZOOM MMKAY
what in the world are you talking about? the crop sensor has NOTHING to do w/ the f-stop of the lens. the crop sensor just means that the focallength the lens must be multiplied by 1.5 or 1.6 to get the effective field of view. the f-stop is a function of the lens and is not affected by the camerabody at all other than adjusting the desired f-stop.

*edit*

as for picking up your first dslr, i would lean towards canon just because not all nikon lenses are compatible w/ the d60. the camera body itself doesn'thave an auto focus motor so the lens will not auto focus unless you buy af-s lenses. with canon you have the availabilty of the full line of ef and ef-s lenseswhich gives you a lot more options and can also be used on bodies should you choose to upgrade in the future. i personally have an xsi and i love it. althoughi do wish that canon would follow the same path as nikon as far as upgrades, the lens lineup is too much for me to look away.

blah!

Originally Posted by Demax777

Demax777 wrote:
I'm looking in my first SLR camera, and from what I know its either Nikon or Canon.
nerd.gif

All of that is over my head. I'm used to having a compact Canon. So, I know nothing about changing the lens or even what fstop means...please re-explain in lamest terms.
eyes.gif

you need to take a class in intro to photography, otherwise you are wasting your money.

Originally Posted by jay kickz till i die

what in the world are you talking about? the crop sensor has NOTHING to do w/ the f-stop of the lens. the crop sensor just means that the focal length the lens must be multiplied by 1.5 or 1.6 to get the effective field of view. the f-stop is a function of the lens and is not affected by the camera body at all other than adjusting the desired f-stop.

*edit*

as for picking up your first dslr, i would lean towards canon just because not all nikon lenses are compatible w/ the d60. the camera body itself doesn't have an auto focus motor so the lens will not auto focus unless you buy af-s lenses. with canon you have the availabilty of the full line of ef and ef-s lenses which gives you a lot more options and can also be used on bodies should you choose to upgrade in the future. i personally have an xsi and i love it. although i do wish that canon would follow the same path as nikon as far as upgrades, the lens lineup is too much for me to look away.

blah!
laugh.gif
the hell was dude thinking.

As far as the D40/D40x/D60 not being able to focus with "lenses" (basically the only one you need to worry about is the 50mm f/1.
glasses.gif
There is alreadya new 50mm Nikkor that WILL Autofocus but you pay a price for that... other than that lens, i really don't see what trouble you would have with any otherlenses, especially being a beginner.

I find Nikon also has better quality products, but again its all user preferance. Go to a Photography shop, and ask to use both cameras, play around with bothfor a while and get a feel for them. Either way, neither Canon or Nikon will dissapoint once you make a decision.

Nikon is more consumer friendly which means its for beginners. I got that Canon for my first and it works great with me. I just got it this year. So, I preferCanon

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

what in the world are you talking about? the crop sensor has NOTHING to do w/ the f-stop of the lens. the crop sensor just means that the focal length the lens must be multiplied by 1.5 or 1.6 to get the effective field of view. the f-stop is a function of the lens and is not affected by the camera body at all other than adjusting the desired f-stop.

*edit*

as for picking up your first dslr, i would lean towards canon just because not all nikon lenses are compatible w/ the d60. the camera body itself doesn't have an auto focus motor so the lens will not auto focus unless you buy af-s lenses. with canon you have the availabilty of the full line of ef and ef-s lenses which gives you a lot more options and can also be used on bodies should you choose to upgrade in the future. i personally have an xsi and i love it. although i do wish that canon would follow the same path as nikon as far as upgrades, the lens lineup is too much for me to look away.

blah!
laugh.gif
the hell was dude thinking.

As far as the D40/D40x/D60 not being able to focus with "lenses" (basically the only one you need to worry about is the 50mm f/1.
glasses.gif
There is already a new 50mm Nikkor that WILL Autofocus but you pay a price for that... other than that lens, i really don't see what trouble you would have with any other lenses, especially being a beginner.

I find Nikon also has better quality products, but again its all user preferance. Go to a Photography shop, and ask to use both cameras, play around with both for a while and get a feel for them. Either way, neither Canon or Nikon will dissapoint once you make a decision.

roll.gif
dude blabbing about 'crop' cameras and f-stops. I'm prettysure half the people here don't know what the hell that means...apparently you dont know either.
laugh.gif

But anyways I still have my D40 and will be upgrading to either a D200 or a D90 soon. Just depends on which body I find with a good deal. As far user beginnerfunctionality I think Nikon has that on lock compared to Canon. When it comes to lens and some of them not being compatible with D40/D40X/D60 because of itslack of a built in AF motor, I found it to be an advantage IMO its fun shooting with out the AF function and shooting manual with the Nifty-fifty (50mm F/1.8 )is great. Playing with different levels of focus and playing with depth of field is pretty cool as a beginner and gave me a whole lot of options rather thanrelying on AF all the time.

You should check out the photography thread here on NT.

*edit*

blah!

^^^what he said

I was considering the same two cameras a couple of weeks ago. Ended up with the Nikon D60. I am very pleased with my purchase.

Back
Top Bottom