Calling NT doctors/premed students...

is 8 years plus 4 more years worth it to be a doctor? im not even doing well in undergrad and math classes and can only see myself going oversees for medschool...was it a struggle for you guys?

If you're in it to help people, of course it's worth it.

But if you're in it for the money, like a lot of people who have no idea what they're getting into and are in for a rude awakening, it will not beworth it.

I was premed and then I shadowed a family friend who was a Plastic Surgeon for the summer 2 years back
eek.gif
but the lifestyle isnt great. You make tons of money, but your on call ALL thetime and could be in surgery for hours on end . It's sooooo worth it if that's what you really want, dont worry about math classes so much, you needatleast B's, but make sure you get A's in your science classes, not B's you need A's. MCATS you NEED to score well on, so any courses you cantake by Kaplan or Princeton review is worth it, the classes are expensive but look at it as an investment. I switched to Physical Therapy because I didnt wantthe lifestyle plus with all the politics that goes into medicine field in this country its not what I wanted to do. Just reevaluate what you want, because ifyoure thinking "is it worth it?" it may not be what you really want, ALOT of time and dedication go into this field whether is MD's, PhysicalTherapists, Nurses, ect....Good Luck.

Originally Posted by ****oo2323

If you're in it to help people, of course it's worth it.

But if you're in it for the money, like a lot of people who have no idea what they're getting into and are in for a rude awakening, it will not be worth it.

you'd be laughed at if you ever said you were in it to "help people" at an interview. anyway, I'm in my third year, and now it's aboutto be crunch time (start asking for LOR's, take MCAT, and apply). you might want to consider a D.O. school if your grades are not up to par with M.D.stats. however, if you are looking to do research, an M.D. degree may be worth getting, even if it does require going overseas. if it's something you arereally looking into, for whatever reason, then just stick it out and put the work in it -- you'll get it.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

I was premed and then I shadowed a family friend who was a Plastic Surgeon for the summer 2 years back
eek.gif
but the lifestyle isnt great. You make tons of money, but your on call ALL the time and could be in surgery for hours on end . It's sooooo worth it if that's what you really want, dont worry about math classes so much, you need atleast B's, but make sure you get A's in your science classes, not B's you need A's. MCATS you NEED to score well on, so any courses you can take by Kaplan or Princeton review is worth it, the classes are expensive but look at it as an investment. I switched to Physical Therapy because I didnt want the lifestyle plus with all the politics that goes into medicine field in this country its not what I wanted to do. Just reevaluate what you want, because if youre thinking "is it worth it?" it may not be what you really want, ALOT of time and dedication go into this field whether is MD's, Physical Therapists, Nurses, ect....Good Luck.

you don't HAVE to be on call if you decide to go into a field that doesn't require that. certain specialties will require that, but there areplenty other options that let you work YOUR hours, of course, surgery is excluded from that list
laugh.gif
. I do agree with you about that time investment, nodoubting that.

A better route to making undergrad enjoyable would be to major in something you like and take the core classes at a community college. i.e major inenglish....take chem,and bio 101 at a juco.

ima senior bio and psych double major and im not going into the med field anymore. im not gonna say im not cut out for it however it doesnt interest me anymorei dont have the fire i once had as a frosh.

eek.gif
but the lifestyle isnt great. You make tons of money, but your on call ALL the time and could be in surgery for hours on end . It's sooooo worth it if that's what you really want, dont worry about math classes so much, you need atleast B's, but make sure you get A's in your science classes, not B's you need A's. MCATS you NEED to score well on, so any courses you can take by Kaplan or Princeton review is worth it, the classes are expensive but look at it as an investment. I switched to Physical Therapy because I didnt want the lifestyle plus with all the politics that goes into medicine field in this country its not what I wanted to do. Just reevaluate what you want, because if youre thinking "is it worth it?" it may not be what you really want, ALOT of time and dedication go into this field whether is MD's, Physical Therapists, Nurses, ect....Good Luck.

how is PT cutting out for you?

MD is a good field if you are really interested in doing it it has a lot of flexibilty being that it has a lot of specialities. I currently am in PT and i loveit honestly lifestyle and pay is not to shabby

you'd be laughed at if you ever said you were in it to "help people" at an interview.
definitely NOT true....sort of....if you phrase it exactly "help people"...you'll probably get some chuckles, so expand yourvocabulary and make it sound nice.....but deep down. Medical School interviewers are looking for top notch applicants who can:
1. handle the pressure and academic load
2. truly want to "help people"

as for valuing something based on the hurdles you have to overcome....then it seems as though you don't value that something very much.

It depends on the person based on the worth.

I want to do it because I really can't see myself doing anything else, as happily at least.

Originally Posted by haiti5

A better route to making undergrad enjoyable would be to major in something you like and take the core classes at a community college. i.e major in english....take chem,and bio 101 at a juco.

That's a horrible idea. Medical schools really look down on that type of thing. I've said it in every post on the topic; make sure it's what youreally want to do because yes it is a huge commitment. And grades are not everything when it comes to getting into med school. Is it important to do well? Ofcourse. But work experience in the field, showing your dedication to it, and a good resume are just as if not more important.

To be honest, I know some people who tried so many years at getting into Medical School without having top notch grades, they just end up going to medicalschools in the Caribbeans.

A better route to making undergrad enjoyable would be to major in something you like and take the core classes at a community college. i.e major in english....take chem,and bio 101 at a juco.
I know this will work for sure with Nursing school, probably not medical school.

i think people underestimate Community colleges, overall there isn't much of a difference. we're talking about the same education just differentapproaches and tuition costs. wow congrads you are paying 10 more k then me. you'll lose 20 stacks for going to a bigger school to take your gen eds.Getting good grades is still getting good grades...

Originally Posted by Chino Bambino10

i think people underestimate Community colleges, overall there isn't much of a difference. we're talking about the same education just different approaches and tuition costs. wow congrads you are paying 10 more k then me. you'll lose 20 stacks for going to a bigger school to take your gen eds. Getting good grades is still getting good grades...

you clearly haven't applied to med school.

Originally Posted by Chino Bambino10

i think people underestimate Community colleges, overall there isn't much of a difference. we're talking about the same education just different approaches and tuition costs. wow congrads you are paying 10 more k then me. you'll lose 20 stacks for going to a bigger school to take your gen eds. Getting good grades is still getting good grades...
do CC's have a place in Higher Ed?...for sure...But it's definitely NOT the same education.

and medical schools definitely look at undergrad institutions when looking at applications....Bio 101 at Harvard is NOT going to be the same as Biob 101 atBergen Community College.

you clearly haven't applied to med school.
you musta got rejected
laugh.gif
...no but seriously my best friendgot into U of Chicago Med School using that same exact route. He took orgo and p chem at Depaul with me, but gen chem and gen bio was taken at a juco.he is aURM. not to mention he had a 32 on MCAT but still. you guys think you have to go to an ivy league and get straight A's to get into a decent med schools ,its more to it than that. i currently work part time at a Top 10 Business school, and youll be amazed at the routes that many people take. Also work exp. ishuge. i know a few paramedics going to med school.

Bio 101 at Harvard is NOT going to be the same as Biob 101 at Bergen Community College.
of course its not equal but youd be amazed to know that many admissions officers could care less sometimes when it comes to gen ed's. i dunnoanyone who failed gen bio or gen chem...its the anatomy,histology,orgo,p chem, analytical grades that they look at mostly.i talk with Admissions officers allthe time cuz im the vp of the life sciences club and im just tellin you guys what ive heard

you guys think you have to go to an ivy league and get straight A's to get into a decent med schools , its more to it than that.
I know the ins and outs of med school admissions.. and I can definitely say your friend is definitely not the norm.

good money that your friend is a URM.

Ivys and straigh A's are not mandatory...but for a top tier school...they definitely put you in contention... it's all about being appealing enough toget the interview... that's where you sink or swim.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

it's all about being appealing enough to get the interview... that's where you sink or swim.

exactly Dirty. 4.0 students are a dime a dozen among med school applicants. you need to do things that set you apart. being a great student is good andall, but it by no means guarantees that you will be a good doctor.

but back to the topic man stay strong...the bio class of '08 at my school we are all like best friends and its funny cuz 98% of us were so stuck onbecoming doctors. now half of us dont even wanna go that route. im going to get my MPH/JD and i know peeps going into forensics,dental school,optometry,PublicHealth,lab work. if you really wanna help people there are different routes to take that just as awarding as being a doctor.

Originally Posted by DJ IQ

eek.gif

how is PT cutting out for you?
It's going real good, I like it alot. Like premed and med school ALOT of time and effort, but it pays off. I work for a PT now in a privatepractice and it's working out real well, just waiting to get my license, if you have a good personality and like Physical Therapy you will be well off.

pre-med, bio major senior. sent in all my med school apps during summer. i actually have an interview at georgetown next week. the advice i would give is tonot major in a science. major in something easier and just take the pre-med classes. you'll be better off as far as course load is concerned, andnon-science majors have a slightly higher acceptance rates to med school than do science majors. damn near everyone that applies is a science major, so youhave to do something to stand out. MCATs can really help or really hurt, but nothing is guaranteed. i know a kid who got a 42 on the MCAT and got rejected fromevery school first time around.

Back
Top Bottom