Calling all Law School Students of NT...

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

Is it true that salaries in the Law field are diminishing/It's harder to find jobs at good firms?

I'm not interested solely because of the money-I love the idea of debating/proving a point/working with facts to make a conclusion etc. but if I'm not going to be making 90k-+!* I don't even know if 7 years 4under/3 LS is worth it considering the ridiculous tuition..

I'm a senior in HS and hopefully am going to Hofstra, I'm still second guessing the pos/negs of going into law...
Yes, that is true to an extent. Law firms are feeling the economic crunch just like a lot of other businesses. I know that this year a number oflarge firms in various locations have either shut down offices or laid off attorneys. A couple of pretty big firms have folded altogether or been acquired byother firms. So far, I'm not aware of any accross-the-board salary decreases, but I also don't see salaries going up too much in the relatively nearfuture, as happened a few times in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

I graduated from law school in 2001. I agree with the people who are saying it is not for everyone. It is a lot of work. However, to some degree, howdifficult it needs to be depends on what you want out of it. If you want a job with big, high-paying firm, you need to work your tail off. Those kinds offirms generally do not hire anyone who is not in at least the top 10% of their law school class. And, to get jobs at those firms, you pretty much have to dowell right out of the gate because of how the hiring process works. All that said, if you are someone who would be comfortable not going to a big firm andmaking less money, you can get by without working quite as hard. There are a ton of legal jobs out there and most of them should be sufficient to provide youwith a comfortable life, but they're not going to make you rich either.

Anyway, good luck O.P.

And, to get jobs at those firms, you pretty much have to do well right out of the gate because of how the hiring process works.

Could you elaborate on the hiring process?

I'm a music major, can anyone school on the whole process of becoming a lawyer? The OP is currently working on a finance degree, correct? Is there somecorrelation between law and finance I am not aware of? It sounds like you can major in anything you want in college, get into a law school after graduating,and become a lawyer.

What's the process? I'm curious.

Originally Posted by lawinnn

I'm a music major, can anyone school on the whole process of being a lawyer? The OP is currently working on a finance degree, correct? Is there some correlation between law and finance I am not aware of? It sounds like you can major in anything you want in college, get into a law school and become a lawyer.

You can major in anything

To all aspiring law students: Why do you want to pursue a degree in law school? Why do you want to become a lawyer? Man, I've always thought about lawschool (I'm a freshman in college, by the way).

What can I do to find out more about careers in law? How do I know if it's a career I should consider? Any classes in undergraduate study that can give mesome insight? Thank you.

For me, I like learning and working hard... half the reason my previous engagement went south. I'm currently interning at a law firm and I like theatmosphere. I want to progress as much as possible there, and the marketing department there can only get you so high. Being a lawyer is difficult, and Iconsider myself too smart to not put myself into a career path where my intellect could be challenged and utilized.

Plus, I'd make my family (myself included) proud and make a nice chunk of change.

And there's the potential to get into politics with it, as well.

law school is one of those graduate programs that will almost throw your gpa out if you rape the lsat. you get in the high 160s with a 2.5 and you are gettinginto a good school.

Originally Posted by BKsOwnMVP

I'm sitting in law school class right now (and on NT, of course) and we are discussing the Len Bias life insurance case in Civil Procedure. Just so you know, hardly any of the cases are as cool as this one.

I'm a 1L at Brooklyn Law School. I have a B.A. in History from NYU. For the original poster, I could honestly say that you are going to have to push hard to get into law school with a 2.5 GPA. I suggest getting some law experience beforehand to get your feet wet before spending all of that time trying to study for the LSAT and then pursuing school if there's a chance you won't get in. I have about 4 friends that tried to get into law school with decent grades and they didn't get in, so there's no doubt that it is competitive. It is especially competitive in places like New York, which are hotspots for students considering that they all want to make big money in New York. You should always go to school in the place that you will practice, because you have to take the bar in that particular state to be certified to practice in that state.

As for having a record and applying, all of the applications ask about any criminal activity because they want to know about it. Full disclosure on that - DO NOT LIE ABOUT IT. There are also opportunities down the line with programs that could clear you of certain crimes. There's a guy that came to my school that spoke about these types of situations - the guy worked under the DA and had a pretty big-time job as a lawyer and he was stealing clients' money for drugs because he had a horrible drug habit that stemmed from when he was in college and progressively got worse. This guy managed to get his life back together and now works as a representative for a service that provides this type of help, so depending on how bad your criminal activity is you might be able to clear it.

Your first step is getting the U.S. News Graduate School books and looking at the rankings, especially since the dude on here that said a 2.97 GPA and 167 LSAT could get you into NYU Law needs to keep dreaming. Schools look at your GPA, work experience, and LSAT score almost equally.
Then start to study for the LSAT and perhaps going to a review course for it. Don't think you will stroll right in and score a 165 on the LSAT - I studied for five months for it and I'll tell you that it's not the SAT!
This guy is dead on. Law school apps are not undergrad apps - it is almost entirely a numbers game. Low gpa + moderate/high LSAT does not giveyou admission to a top school, simple as that. Check out this site for more in-depth stats. http://schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/

To all aspiring law students: Why do you want to pursue a degree in law school? Why do you want to become a lawyer? Man, I've always thought about law school (I'm a freshman in college, by the way).

What can I do to find out more about careers in law? How do I know if it's a career I should consider? Any classes in undergraduate study that can give me some insight? Thank you.

I was always fascinated by talking my way out of a paper bag. Somebody told me when I was young, "you like to argue alot. you should become alawyer".

i guess it just stuck, since I'm a good at everything, great at nothing kinda dude.

the more lawyers I meet, the more I hear, "you have to be a callous individual to like being a lawyer."

is it really that bad?

I'm a music major, can anyone school on the whole process of becoming a lawyer? The OP is currently working on a finance degree, correct? Is there some correlation between law and finance I am not aware of? It sounds like you can major in anything you want in college, get into a law school after graduating, and become a lawyer.

Just like any professional schools, as long as you have taken the pre-requisite classes (and preferably beyond that to include more tough, readingand writing -intensive courses), it doesn't matter what your major is. Your letters are important, obviously, as well as your essay. Basically the pointis to start the process as early as possible.

Originally Posted by SpringfieldXD

To all aspiring law students: Why do you want to pursue a degree in law school? Why do you want to become a lawyer? Man, I've always thought about law school (I'm a freshman in college, by the way).

What can I do to find out more about careers in law? How do I know if it's a career I should consider? Any classes in undergraduate study that can give me some insight? Thank you.

I was always fascinated by talking my way out of a paper bag. Somebody told me when I was young, "you like to argue alot. you should become a lawyer".

i guess it just stuck, since I'm a good at everything, great at nothing kinda dude.

the more lawyers I meet, the more I hear, "you have to be a callous individual to like being a lawyer."

is it really that bad?

I'd say the majority of lawyers don't argue, but rather spend most of their time with mountains of paperwork.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by BKsOwnMVP

I'm sitting in law school class right now (and on NT, of course) and we are discussing the Len Bias life insurance case in Civil Procedure. Just so you know, hardly any of the cases are as cool as this one.

I'm a 1L at Brooklyn Law School. I have a B.A. in History from NYU. For the original poster, I could honestly say that you are going to have to push hard to get into law school with a 2.5 GPA. I suggest getting some law experience beforehand to get your feet wet before spending all of that time trying to study for the LSAT and then pursuing school if there's a chance you won't get in. I have about 4 friends that tried to get into law school with decent grades and they didn't get in, so there's no doubt that it is competitive. It is especially competitive in places like New York, which are hotspots for students considering that they all want to make big money in New York. You should always go to school in the place that you will practice, because you have to take the bar in that particular state to be certified to practice in that state.

As for having a record and applying, all of the applications ask about any criminal activity because they want to know about it. Full disclosure on that - DO NOT LIE ABOUT IT. There are also opportunities down the line with programs that could clear you of certain crimes. There's a guy that came to my school that spoke about these types of situations - the guy worked under the DA and had a pretty big-time job as a lawyer and he was stealing clients' money for drugs because he had a horrible drug habit that stemmed from when he was in college and progressively got worse. This guy managed to get his life back together and now works as a representative for a service that provides this type of help, so depending on how bad your criminal activity is you might be able to clear it.

Your first step is getting the U.S. News Graduate School books and looking at the rankings, especially since the dude on here that said a 2.97 GPA and 167 LSAT could get you into NYU Law needs to keep dreaming. Schools look at your GPA, work experience, and LSAT score almost equally.
Then start to study for the LSAT and perhaps going to a review course for it. Don't think you will stroll right in and score a 165 on the LSAT - I studied for five months for it and I'll tell you that it's not the SAT!

How's Brooklyn Law?
I took the LSAT last year but I keep putting off Law School. I'm not in any particular hurry...until the test score is close to expiring.
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

I was really put off by my visit to Brooklyn and decided against going there. Nothing stood out to me about the school you know? there was nothing really pulling me in, and all the kids seemed really tired like they didnt want to be there. The most attractive things about the school were the big **! library and the dorms (the latter of which shouldnt really be a deciding factor)
You from NY or the surrounding area?

If I would go there I'd be living at home with the fam (they don't force you to live in Dorms do they?
indifferent.gif
).

I was torn between Cardozo and Brooklyn, but Cardozo turned me off at the last minute because the school is closed on Saturdays because of religiousobservances and it occurred to me that maybe this school wouldn't cater to my needs. That's nothing against religious observances, just the truth in mycase.

I'm actually from Brooklyn and I live at home. They don't force you to dorm. Brooklyn Law is a good place to be because it's in the center of itall (I mean you are surrounded by the courts) and it's a pretty vibrant area at this point. I went to school in the Village for undergrad and it was insaneand obviously Downtown Brooklyn can't compare, but it's not that bad of a tradeoff. The thing I like best about the school are the students, whodon't seem to be as cutthroat and intense as law school students are supposed to be. None of my professors practice the Socratic Method and everyone isfriendly (maybe until finals come my way). Also, Brooklyn has a great alumni network (been around since 1901) and the dorms are gorgeous. It's also a goodTier 2 school, much like Cardozo - while not as good as NYU, Columbia, or Fordham, I don't plan on being a swanky corporate lawyer working 95 hour weeksand sipping Cabernet during my lunch break so it should be suitable to what I want to do. Mind you that I don't know what I want to do yet exactly, but Iknow that having a J.D. opens a lot of doors.

I know I want to go into the law field, but I'm not entirely sure what type of law I want to practice. Right now I'm leaning towards corporate, butthat's only because I'm not k=too knowledgeable on the other fields. Anyone care to help me out? I remember aepps mentioning someone about dealing withpatent law, but I'm not too sure what the criteria is for that field.

^most ppl go into law school not knowing a damn thing about what they want to practice...just do your own research

Originally Posted by haiti5

wow people in here have no idea what they talkin about
laugh.gif

OP just look for a tier3 or tier 4 school and transfer. getting a masters wont help its a waste of time and money. ask any admissions consuleor that and theyll prolly say the same. work with what u have jus ace the LSAT

Actually this is well said. Having a master's means nothing in law school. Its just a different style of learning. Im at a tier 4 and PLENTY of myclassmates balled out their first year and then transfered to a top 100. This is the best scenario imho.

i had a combined undergrad gpa of 2.6 and a 155 LSAT.
I was accepted to Ole Miss, U of Louisville, U of Richmond, Howard, Northeastern.
Something like 80% of lawyers never step foot in a courtroom.
Personally, I would recommend taking 1-2 years off, work, get some experience, and decide if law is really what you want to do, cuz 120k in debt is no joke.

i've learned to appreciate honesty, so with that in mind, here are my thoughts...

grades - 2.5 GPA is going to be an obstacle. anyone telling you otherwise is lying. there are smaller law schools out there and if you decide to go thatroute, make sure you get into one that is at least ABA approved. as sweet as people make law school out to be, it is nothing if you don't pass yourstate's bar and going to a school that is not going to adequately prepare you for the exam will be an utter waste of time. as for the lsat's, you haveto crush 'em. 162-170 just to be safe. if you can get into the upper 160's, it may carry you to a tier 2 school, ie ranked 51-100.

motivation - glad to see that you are motivated... choosing to pursue law is not a decision that should come lightly or without deep thought and soulsearching. if you are in it for the cash, do something else. there are so many other things out there that you can make money doing. if you aren'trecruited out of law school, look to make anywhere from $70-120k. sounds decent? well, you're essentially working 60-80 hour weeks, which means a dayjob, the night shift and a weekend job for most people. now if you like the legal profession, being an advocate, representing clients in tough spots, then gofor it.

job prospects - everyone is hurting right now and lawyers/future-lawyers are no exception. when the economy takes a dump like this, most transactional workcomes to a screeching halt. instead, bankruptcy and litigation start to fire up. it sounds like you want to do transactional or corporate work, which isnearly impossible to get into right now. aside from that, type in lawyer in craigslist and see how many starving lawyers there are out there willing to readcontracts for $30 an hour. try paying down your $150k in debt on $30 an hour.

like i said, it's a personal decision that is going to require a lot of thinking and research, but i do wish you the best. feel free to hit me up if youhave any specific questions.

I've read through this entire thread and still have a few questions. I am currently in a Community College and on the verge of transferring to CSUN todouble major in Accounting & Financing. I strongly dislike Accounting, but, am taking because if I am majoring in Financing, taking a couple classes morewill also give me a Accounting degree. I have not taken any Financing courses and I don't know for sure what I am in store for.

I've strongly considered law school, but after reading through this thread, is law school pursued after only one attains a Bachelors Degree???

I'm interested in law because I've been under the impression that it is a gateway into politics. I would like to pursue something worthwhile in my lifethat not only helps myself, but others as well. By the way, for you guys that are currently in law school, how old are you?

Originally Posted by jumpmantwenty3

Originally Posted by SpringfieldXD

I was always fascinated by talking my way out of a paper bag. Somebody told me when I was young, "you like to argue alot. you should become a lawyer".

is it really that bad?

I'd say the majority of lawyers don't argue, but rather spend most of their time with mountains of paperwork.

Hence why I prefer Criminal Law.

Back
Top Bottom