Calipari to Kentucky.

Originally Posted by emkay

Damn... I really don't understand this move for Cal. It's not like he's not landing 5 star recruits at Memphis. I think it's a mistake when guys jump to a "tradition rich" school like Kentucky just cause they have more history, because other that, Kentucky is not a better program them Memphis. All they got is their history to fall back on.
Kentucky is a better program than Memphis and it's not even debatable. As Allen and others have said, Cal is the main reason Memphis gets thetype of recruits it gets not the other way around. Cal is essentially a big fish in a small pond.

Originally Posted by LifeLessons

kentucky b-ball fans are going to hyped like UT football is about this upcoming season....but calipari will help UK....UT still won't come close to winning the SEC
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Damn... I really don't understand this move for Cal. It's not like he's not landing 5 star recruits at Memphis. I think it's a mistake when guys jump to a "tradition rich" school like Kentucky just cause they have more history, because other that, Kentucky is not a better program them Memphis. All they got is their history to fall back on.
I don't even like Kentucky, and I had to LOL at this statement.

laugh.gif
Zo would instantly get banned again, talking about in-bred Kentuckyrednecks.

can anyone find Memphis's television schedule from this past season?

Originally Posted by aepps20

Kentucky is a better program than Memphis and it's not even debatable. As Allen and others have said, Cal is the main reason Memphis gets the type of recruits it gets not the other way around. Cal is essentially a big fish in a small pond.

Exactly, Memphis w/o Cal is just another school in C-USA. Juanny, Pooh, Evans, CDR, Dozier etc came to Memphis because of Cal thats it, nothing more nothingless. Kentucky on thee otherhand is KENTUCKY. They draw interest based on their name even when they are mediocre. Its just one of those programs UCLA, UNC,DUKE as of late. The name on that jersey means more than the name of the coach (minus Duke). Memphis can't say that. Once Cal leaves don't expect tosee too many more 5star recruites in a tigers uniform bro.
laugh.gif

RIP to Memphis basketball, enjoy your place in history along side the Buffalo Bills, the Fab 5 and recent UCLA basketball.

What is one thing Memphis has over Kentucky as far as a program?

Only thing that might be debatable is playing in an NBA arena, but really that is negated by Rupp.

Cal built Memphis back from the dead.

Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Indiana, and probably Duke now....those programs stand on their own over the test of time

Places like Syracuse, Michigan State, Georgetown, Memphis, Villanova, Uconn, etc are coach and staff dependent. Memphis has a decent tradition and the city isgood to the program...but it's not like that.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Kentucky is not a better program them Memphis.
laugh.gif
Stop living in the past. In the year 2009 they're not.
roll.gif

Stop it. You sound ridiculous...

Calipari would put Kentucky back in elite status within 2 years... Memphis is a good program, not a great one... That program is where it is because of John Calipari...

Kentucky is a better program than Memphis and it's not even debatable. As Allen and others have said, Cal is the main reason Memphis gets the type of recruits it gets not the other way around. Cal is essentially a big fish in a small pond.

Overall in the history of college basketball, obviously Kentucky has achieved much more than Memphis and I'm not denying that. What i meant by mystatement is that they're becoming the Notre Dame of basketball (they're not at that level yet), a program that only has their "history" and"mystique" to fall back on.

Overall in the history of college basketball, obviously Kentucky has achieved much more than Memphis and I'm not denying that. What i meant by my statement is that they're becoming the Notre Dame of basketball (they're not at that level yet), a program that only has their "history" and "mystique" to fall back on.

and what does Notre Dame have?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Exactly, Memphis w/o Cal is just another school in C-USA. Juanny, Pooh, Evans, CDR, Dozier etc came to Memphis because of Cal thats it, nothing more nothing less. Kentucky on thee otherhand is KENTUCKY. They draw interest based on their name even when they are mediocre. Its just one of those programs UCLA, UNC, DUKE as of late. The name on that jersey means more than the name of the coach (minus Duke). Memphis can't say that. Once Cal leaves don't expect to see too many more 5star recruites in a tigers uniform bro.
laugh.gif
You're 100% correct.

When programs like Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, and Kansas are on top they can pretty much choose any player they want. Memphis is not one of those schools. Shoot, even Michigan State isn't one of those schools. Memphis is in the middle of a hot recruiting streak, but it is much easier to recruit at one of theaforementioned programs than it is at Memphis.

Overall in the history of college basketball, obviously Kentucky has achieved much more than Memphis and I'm not denying that. What i meant by my statement is that they're becoming the Notre Dame of basketball (they're not at that level yet), a program that only has their "history" and "mystique" to fall back on.

If that's not Notre Dame I don't know what else is. There history and mystique are what make them what they are, because they haven't done/beenworth anything in a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time bro. Yet they are still able to bring in anybody they desire to coach them and if the academic requirementsweren'ts as stiff as they are they could get just about anybody to play for them as bad as they are and have been.

laugh.gif

I still love when people talk like ALL Notre Dame has to fall back on is their history... Or like only having that history and that prestige to fall back on iseven necessarily a bad thing...

Jobs like Notre Dame and Kentucky are ALWAYS one good coaching hire away from being top flight, elite programs again when hard times hit... Those types ofprograms do not just fall back to the crowd... It's like a sleeping giant, it's only a matter of time...

Good I no longer have to see Memphis get praised for being so dominant playing in the weak Conf USA

Please John go to UK!!!

Rick Bozich, a reputable Louisville sports writer, said he just talked to WWW...and Wes said:

"What's going to happen is going to be monumental for college basketball. It's going to be exciting. It's going to be great."

Come on now, seriously
smh.gif

Listen to Memphis radio today
laugh.gif
http://sports56whbq.com/

[h1]Kentucky receives permission to talk to Calipari[/h1]
LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -The University of Memphis has given Kentucky permission to speak to coach John Calipari about the Wildcats' head coaching position.

Athletic director R.C. Johnson said in a statement Monday that Calipari could meet with Kentucky representatives, but stressed Memphis will do whatever it can to retain the coach.

Calipari did not immediately return a text message from The Associated Press, and several Memphis players did not respond to e-mail messages left by the AP.

Kentucky spokesman DeWayne Peevy would not confirm or deny an ESPN report that Wildcats officials had already met with Calipari and were prepared to offer him the job.

The school fired Billy Gillispie after two seasons on Friday.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...3/30/2060.ap.bkc.kentucky.search.1st.ld.0117/

hopefully, according to Wes, "what's going to happen" isn't a "monumental" let-down. all signs point to Cal at UK. i'll waituntil I see him at a presser with Barnhart.

early word is 6 years, $40 mil
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom