California Colleges what's their reputation? Just a couple questions

I grew up in Irvine and then moved. So I don't really want to go to UCI. Also would be helpful how much can I expect to have as income as a student inCalifornia?

SDSU and UCSB are big time party schools.
CSULA is the 13th grade.
UCSC is the stoner/hippie school.

and the rest of the UC's + CSULB are big time Asian co-ed schools with no real social life or sports teams worth mentioning.

Originally Posted by ro0ts

laugh.gif
Wht the eff are you rambling about? You're saying that UCSC's 3 classes a quarter education is on par with other UCs? You straight up opened up by saying the place is isolated and followed that up by saying its "near so many different things".

But to the guy choosing between UCSC and UCD academically its a no brainer.
roots, if you go back and check my post, you'll see that i was describing several different colleges... i know everytime UCS_ is typed out itcan get difficult to keep track of which school we're talking about.

how about this.

santa cruz has a small town atmosphere, and is geographically separated from major metropolitan areas. academically, there are people that take their studiesseriously, and there are people that see how many classes they can take about human sexuality while on acid in the back row. and there are plenty of otherpeople that fall somewhere in between. the campus is separated from the town, but i preferred the natural beauty of the forests and ocean to schools smack dabin the middle of a city.

i shouldn't comment on san diego academically as i haven't taken any classes there, but i will say this; take into consideration the people that youwill be taking classes with. yeah, go with your stereotypical gut here. i'm willing to bet there would be a slightly higher percentage of mexican people atsan diego. because it is in a major city, my experiences with that campus lead me to believe that there is a slightly more urban/city faring type that wants togo there. you'll get a few surfers, and beach bums, but they won't be radically insane. the women that go there are probably accustomed to the finerthings in life and enjoy being close to stores that cater to their tastes. and the men that go there are probably interested in those type of women. i rememberthat they had pretty good facilities and class rooms, and lots of the buildings looked pretty new.

there's not really going to be a difference between the quality of instruction, except on a professor by professor basis. there are some great teachers outthere, and there are some people that got into it for the wrong reasons. unless you go and interview every instructor that works in your major field of study,you can pretty much assume that you're going to get quality instruction and have access to some excellent resources to help you learn. this can be said forANY uc.

if you're going to be in a library the whole time, your only concern should be the quality of the library. i tihnk that much more important aspects ofcollege are where it is located, who goes there, what is the campus like, what is available around the campus, and what is the mascot. take me seriously onthat last one...

don't mean to air out davis, but that place has very little personality. in the middle of a bunch of ag fields, and the closest city is... sacramento? (ilive in sac. i enjoy it here, but never see any davis kids running around.) heck, i've gone out to woodland for a good time and well... i didn't seeany davis sweatshirts out there. most of the students there take amtrak back into the bay for the weekend. town's pretty dead unless you like riding yourbike through neighborhoods looking for fruit trees in front yards that you can pick free fruit from. ( i actually happen to like doing that, but i get thefeeling that most folks do not like me doing that.)

wow, making money while going to school? that's a great question to ask right now. i can't imagine that it would be easy getting a part time job thatfits a collegiate schedule, but let's apply some good old college sayings to it... you'll get out of it what you put into it. slack around and nobodywill probably hire you. bust your behind and beat down some doors, you should have no problem. although, i would recommend being in a larger metropolitan area.more people=more jobs=easier to get a job. coffee shops, clothing stores and pizza places, right?

Originally Posted by Devanisgee

SDSU and UCSB are big time party schools.
CSULA is the 13th grade.
UCSC is the stoner/hippie school.

and the rest of the UC's + CSULB are big time Asian co-ed schools with no real social life or sports teams worth mentioning.
o rly? ucla or cal football/basketball not worth mentioning?

Stanford>Caltech>UCBerkley>UCLA>USC>UCSD>UCDavis>UCIrvine>UCSB>>>>>>the rest

I guess u cant really go wrong with a cali school

I'm going to Cal Poly starting next year, Civil Engineering. I can't wait till next thursday though, when I get rejected from CAL
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

let's pretend i know nothing about caltech.

please describe that school for me.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

pretty much on point, i think it really depends on what you are studying, too.

i kind of regret not going to a UC and chose a state school
grin.gif
but ireally didnt want to go to davis, irvine, or santa cruz.

Ok I'm a Freshman in the dorms at UCSC and I can attest to this the school is not a hippie/drug school anymore.. Sure you can find some people like thatliving downtown on the streets, but the school overall is no longer just a stoner/burnout school. They crack down on us mad hard these days, its hard not toget in trouble for just playing some beerpong or drinking in the dorms ( a socially acceptable way to get high) as opposed to going out into the forest andsmoking some dank. Also the academics are on par if you are going here for bio, psych, or certain econ degrees.

please wait until after 4/20 to say this...

edit: most places of higher learning have a serious drug problem. the visibility of it and the tolerance of it are factors that contribute to how it effectscampus life.

Persian, what college are you at?

Originally Posted by 81ackMamba

UC Irvine is nice. It's about 15 minutes away from the beach...

It's in a pretty nice area, close to lots of shopping spots. (the lab, south coast plaza, irvine spectrum, etc.)

And, apparenty Kobe works out at the campus gym.
My friend sees him there all the time, that's #+%!#$@ @+*$@%%%
mad.gif
. I'd love to cross him over
laugh.gif
. I think if I didn't goto UCD I would've opted for Irvine or SD. Irvine is good for the reasons stated above + the car scene there from what I heard is pretty good if you'rea car guy. SD is actually in La Jolla, not as close to the beach as SDSU...but still nice. Being around the more isolated campuses and college town UC's,it feels much safer than the metropolitan UCs. Walking down a street at night in UCD is soooo much less unsettling than a stroll through UCB at night.

^ how close are sdsu and ucsd?

i got friends that went to both. is sdsu that much more of a partier school? i hear students at ucsd really hit the books hard even on their spare time.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Originally Posted by 81ackMamba

UC Irvine is nice. It's about 15 minutes away from the beach...

It's in a pretty nice area, close to lots of shopping spots. (the lab, south coast plaza, irvine spectrum, etc.)

And, apparenty Kobe works out at the campus gym.
My friend sees him there all the time, that's #+%!#$@ @+*$@%%%
mad.gif
. I'd love to cross him over
laugh.gif
. I think if I didn't go to UCD I would've opted for Irvine or SD. Irvine is good for the reasons stated above + the car scene there from what I heard is pretty good if you're a car guy. SD is actually in La Jolla, not as close to the beach as SDSU...but still nice. Being around the more isolated campuses and college town UC's, it feels much safer than the metropolitan UCs. Walking down a street at night in UCD is soooo much less unsettling than a stroll through UCB at night.
I go to SDSU and the beach thing you said is completely false. La Jolla is a beach town. The campus is literally right next to the beach. It's a 15 minute drive to the beach from SDSU (which is inland.)

SDSU and UCSD are about 15-20 minutes apart (depending on traffic.)

Yes, apparently UCSD has zero social scene
laugh.gif
Their campus is a lot nicer looking though and they also get a lot more high profile acts come through to playthere (if you're into seeing live bands.) The air in La Jolla is just nicer too, it's really noticeable
laugh.gif

edit: Oh yeah, academically, SDSU is actually not that bad. We've got some really competitive majors like international business and nursing.

avoid cal states....waste of money.

any uc is good...except for merced and riverside.

most of them are like 40% asian, uci being like 75% asian
laugh.gif

Villains I'm in Cowell which sucks we have no D-hall so i have to walk my @+! up to 9/10 or crown for latenight, and seeing all the deer trips me outI'm from Fremont we def dont get that there

Originally Posted by villansfinest

town's pretty dead unless you like riding your bike through neighborhoods looking for fruit trees in front yards that you can pick free fruit from. ( i actually happen to like doing that, but i get the feeling that most folks do not like me doing that.)

That just cracked me up. Dunno why though.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Any other info from students working places like a clothes, shoe, pizza... w/e store? That'd be really helpful

laugh.gif
Wht the eff are you rambling about? You're saying that UCSC's 3 classes a quarter education is on par with other UCs? You straight up opened up by saying the place is isolated and followed that up by saying its "near so many different things".

roots, if you go back and check my post, you'll see that i was describing several different colleges... i know everytime UCS_ is typed out it can get difficult to keep track of which school we're talking about.

how about this.

santa cruz has a small town atmosphere, and is geographically separated from major metropolitan areas. academically, there are people that take their studies seriously, and there are people that see how many classes they can take about human sexuality while on acid in the back row. and there are plenty of other people that fall somewhere in between. the campus is separated from the town, but i preferred the natural beauty of the forests and ocean to schools smack dab in the middle of a city.

i shouldn't comment on san diego academically as i haven't taken any classes there, but i will say this; take into consideration the people that you will be taking classes with. yeah, go with your stereotypical gut here. i'm willing to bet there would be a slightly higher percentage of mexican people at san diego. because it is in a major city, my experiences with that campus lead me to believe that there is a slightly more urban/city faring type that wants to go there. you'll get a few surfers, and beach bums, but they won't be radically insane. the women that go there are probably accustomed to the finer things in life and enjoy being close to stores that cater to their tastes. and the men that go there are probably interested in those type of women. i remember that they had pretty good facilities and class rooms, and lots of the buildings looked pretty new.

there's not really going to be a difference between the quality of instruction, except on a professor by professor basis. there are some great teachers out there, and there are some people that got into it for the wrong reasons. unless you go and interview every instructor that works in your major field of study, you can pretty much assume that you're going to get quality instruction and have access to some excellent resources to help you learn. this can be said for ANY uc.

if you're going to be in a library the whole time, your only concern should be the quality of the library. i tihnk that much more important aspects of college are where it is located, who goes there, what is the campus like, what is available around the campus, and what is the mascot. take me seriously on that last one...

don't mean to air out davis, but that place has very little personality. in the middle of a bunch of ag fields, and the closest city is... sacramento? (i live in sac. i enjoy it here, but never see any davis kids running around.) heck, i've gone out to woodland for a good time and well... i didn't see any davis sweatshirts out there. most of the students there take amtrak back into the bay for the weekend. town's pretty dead unless you like riding your bike through neighborhoods looking for fruit trees in front yards that you can pick free fruit from. ( i actually happen to like doing that, but i get the feeling that most folks do not like me doing that.)

wow, making money while going to school? that's a great question to ask right now. i can't imagine that it would be easy getting a part time job that fits a collegiate schedule, but let's apply some good old college sayings to it... you'll get out of it what you put into it. slack around and nobody will probably hire you. bust your behind and beat down some doors, you should have no problem. although, i would recommend being in a larger metropolitan area. more people=more jobs=easier to get a job. coffee shops, clothing stores and pizza places, right?
QFT

you're right about davis, the college atmosphere does lack a personality. however, the city of davis itself is pretty interesting for a small town. mosteducated among all cities in california? (~66% of population holds a bachelors or higher? i think that 66% was split 2 ways - half had a bachelors, other halfhad masters and higher) this place has a really smart plan for growth and development in the area considering all around it are farming and pretty much ruralarea.
nerd.gif

find a job. i'd say best way is to bartend
pimp.gif
or find a job like minewhere you can study @ work
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i did cowell too. no more dining hall? used to be one at stevenson and one at cowell. i like the view from cowell the best, plus you're right by the fieldsand gym. (and plenty of breathing room between cowell and the nuts out at crown or porter/kresge) that's my point with ucsc-there's deer. any otheruc's have that much wildlife? come on, there's cougar warnings over by the music center. and i don't mean freshmen's 40 y/o mom's coming onvisiting day...

santa cruz has an amazing group of artists in their art program. check out the open studios for some beautiful and interesting works done by your peers. printsale always takes some of my money. whenever i go back i still look for some stuff that my people did a few years ago...

i disagree that csu's are a waste of money. it's all about the experience. csu sac state makes me laugh! how did they even get to be a college. (oops,just remembered that my mom went there...) but go check out chico for a serious college feel.

ratboy- you're not gonna be able to swing a full 40 hours in any of these places. so then it really comes down to the wage/salary available. cornerstores/retail/food service is mostly minimum wage, sometimes with tips. plan on at best $1500 a month. campus jobs might give you a better wage, and be moreflexible with scheduling. (plus they're usually lax enough to let you study on the job. persia, anybody ever check your id at the east field house...?)
of course you might be able to find a 'good' job doing something other than normal retail/service sector work. then again, those jobs are usuallysought after by locals and people looking to make a living, hence the suggestion that work would be easier to find where there are more jobs available i.e.larger cities/urban areas.

persia- tell me what any other uc does the first time it rains. now tell me what santa cruz does.

laugh.gif

roots, if you go back and check my post, you'll see that i was describing several different colleges... i know everytime UCS_ is typed out it can get difficult to keep track of which school we're talking about.

how about this.

santa cruz has a small town atmosphere, and is geographically separated from major metropolitan areas. academically, there are people that take their studies seriously, and there are people that see how many classes they can take about human sexuality while on acid in the back row. and there are plenty of other people that fall somewhere in between. the campus is separated from the town, but i preferred the natural beauty of the forests and ocean to schools smack dab in the middle of a city.

i shouldn't comment on san diego academically as i haven't taken any classes there, but i will say this; take into consideration the people that you will be taking classes with. yeah, go with your stereotypical gut here. i'm willing to bet there would be a slightly higher percentage of mexican people at san diego. because it is in a major city, my experiences with that campus lead me to believe that there is a slightly more urban/city faring type that wants to go there. you'll get a few surfers, and beach bums, but they won't be radically insane. the women that go there are probably accustomed to the finer things in life and enjoy being close to stores that cater to their tastes. and the men that go there are probably interested in those type of women. i remember that they had pretty good facilities and class rooms, and lots of the buildings looked pretty new.

there's not really going to be a difference between the quality of instruction, except on a professor by professor basis. there are some great teachers out there, and there are some people that got into it for the wrong reasons. unless you go and interview every instructor that works in your major field of study, you can pretty much assume that you're going to get quality instruction and have access to some excellent resources to help you learn. this can be said for ANY uc.

if you're going to be in a library the whole time, your only concern should be the quality of the library. i tihnk that much more important aspects of college are where it is located, who goes there, what is the campus like, what is available around the campus, and what is the mascot. take me seriously on that last one...

don't mean to air out davis, but that place has very little personality. in the middle of a bunch of ag fields, and the closest city is... sacramento? (i live in sac. i enjoy it here, but never see any davis kids running around.) heck, i've gone out to woodland for a good time and well... i didn't see any davis sweatshirts out there. most of the students there take amtrak back into the bay for the weekend. town's pretty dead unless you like riding your bike through neighborhoods looking for fruit trees in front yards that you can pick free fruit from. ( i actually happen to like doing that, but i get the feeling that most folks do not like me doing that.)

wow, making money while going to school? that's a great question to ask right now. i can't imagine that it would be easy getting a part time job that fits a collegiate schedule, but let's apply some good old college sayings to it... you'll get out of it what you put into it. slack around and nobody will probably hire you. bust your behind and beat down some doors, you should have no problem. although, i would recommend being in a larger metropolitan area. more people=more jobs=easier to get a job. coffee shops, clothing stores and pizza places, right?
QFT

damn yuku...had this elaborate reply but...nvm

get a job
laugh.gif

either bartend or work where you can get paid to chill on the internet/NT or study like i do
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by silentparrot

QFT

you're right about davis, the college atmosphere does lack a personality. however, the city of davis itself is pretty interesting for a small town. most educated among all cities in california? (~66% of population holds a bachelors or higher? i think that 66% was split 2 ways - half had a bachelors, other half had masters and higher) this place has a really smart plan for growth and development in the area considering all around it are farming and pretty much rural area.
nerd.gif

find a job. i'd say best way is to bartend
pimp.gif
or find a job like mine where you can study @ work
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
hey don't get me wrong. davis is fun to run through. i stop by g st pub for some laughs every now and then. my pal lived over off of russel,and we spent some good times walking through that neighborhood with the co-op. honestly it is a very progressive place to raise a family, and it's a verynice community. i got accepted there, but after checking the place out, i figured that there wasn't enough there to keep me entertained outside of schooland friends. their farmers market is fun.
haha, was at froggy's one night and rock paper scissored this older woman for the last table that we both got to at the same time. i deliberately threwpaper after she threw scissors just to make her feel good, and besides it gave me something to complain loudly about for the rest of the night.
they have a volvo show in the spring that my buddy shows his 5 door converted to a 3 door yellow POS and we get set up with lawn chairs and beers and live thelife. and i heard picnic day is pretty sweet. he says i have to get out to that this year.

Every UC is lame to me right now (gets off couch, goes to SATURDAY AFTERNOON FINAL).

any california school in the uc or csu system has a pretty solid reputation (a few exceptions, right csula?) because of the absolute juggernaut of fundingthat the educational system receives.

uc's attract a lot of high level talent for continuing research, and as such, are rewarded with top level facilities and faculty.

csu's... well there's more of them, so they're easier to get into, thus less competitive. ergo, they don't have the prestige associated with auc degree, but they are still excellent schools.

community colleges... okay, i know they fill a particular role, but good god, why did i even stop by chaffey college the other weekend? i can't comprehendhow anybody can do anything of value at one of those. and as i type that i realize there's a course guide for the local one around here that has beenthumbed through on our kitchen table a few times. never stop learning ftw!

Back
Top Bottom