BYU Comedian asks what students they know about Black History Month...

Yo man I did not laugh watching this. I felt depressed.

I couldn't bring myself to be outraged or like laugh it off or even feel bad in a prideful way for how we're represented or the lack of knowledge they have about us. Just depressed and a bit disappointed. Can't count the amount of face-palms and sighs.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I saw this last week. The blackface is the least disturbing thing about the video.

If I remember correctly he said its purpose was to show that the majority of BYU students couldn't differentiate between a white guy in make up and a real black person, which he was right about.
Agreed. The use of blackface wasn't malicious here.
Vendetta wrote:
People usually come off looking like idiots in these sorts of interviews. If you were to go to a predominantly black school and ask about important Irish Americans and how white people act you'd most likely get the same type of reactions.

People are ignorant in fields they don't apply to or study. It is what it is.

Only truth spoken in this entire thread.

Its dead serious when a white person does the black face makeup but when a movie like White Chicks come out, its the funniest movie in America, right?

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by a55a5in11

i feel like if this happened at a predominantly black school and same type of questions were asked it would be the same type of answers

This, if not worse.

I lol'd at some parts of the video though.

And here comes the posters who aren't even aware why black face would be offensive to black ppl.

Quoting a post about ppl being ignorant to things. How ironic.

Anyone actually offended by this video needs to lighten up. Yes, there are people out there who don't know stuff. Anyone can ask 100 people the same question about a certain subject and only show the five dumbest responses.

as racist as this was i feel like if this happened at a predominantly black school and same type of questions were asked it would be the same type of answers
The saddest realization in this thread.

30t6p3b.gif

At the end of the day, African American history is still American history.
You shouldn't pass over it and be clueless, you should know all your history. Its just as important as everything else.

Whether you're black or white, you should know all of your history because American history is in all of our roots as a nation of people.

White people look dumb not knowing about black history and black people look dumb not knowing about white history because at the end of the day, if you were born here, its your history in general.

At least thats just how I look at it. 

Originally Posted by Yeah

as racist as this was i feel like if this happened at a predominantly black school and same type of questions were asked it would be the same type of answers
The saddest realization in this thread.

30t6p3b.gif

This plus what do you expect from a school that was founded by a known racist!!!!

Originally Posted by NYC game

saw it on wshh already, not funny nor informative.

White people in the middle of suburbia get's their ideas about black people from the media.

This isn't new news.

Correction, most white people anywhere who do not know black people or dont interact with us,  get their ideas from the media. I can tell you people from Philadelphia (the city part) and other suburbs, have said " Oh, I didnt know you did such and such"  or " You dont like rap"( as if every black person in the world likes rap). My roommate in Freshman year thought that a random black person was my cousin, just because I gave her directions when she stopped and asked us.

You guys really think if he went to Hampton or Howard you would get the same answers? "MLK, Malcolm X, and Sam Jackson"?  Please stop....

Those white kids are a product of their environment and I don't blame them. If I was white I wouldn't care about black history month either. Thats the only real truth.

Also, you don't think he went up to some white or black students and got legit answers?  I'm sure 2 or 3 people did and he left that out for the sake of comedy.

I thought the "snap and z-formation" was funny

But what are you guys expecting from people who grew up in rural Utah? Even in Arizona there are people who think Samuel L. Jackson was a civil rights leader. The truth is black history means very little to them. If it wasn't for my own curiosity, I would have never learned who Huey Newton was or George Washington Carver. Our history classes in high school never mentioned the Black Panthers or the Nation of Islam. They only mention Rosa Parks and MLK. These kids are only as aware as they are taught to be.

Am I the only one who doesn't think this is a big deal?

There are ignorant people every where. I am not offended by the black face, and I am not offended by the answers either. Is it disappointing that they weren't smarter or more careful choosing their answers? Sure, but this video isn't any more "offensive" than a typical worldstarhiphop video with minorities being caught in not so proud moments.

Just incase black people didn't know.

90% of white people are racist. We all make black jokes, and most of us even use the "n word" when you aren't around.

I'm being one hundred percent serious.

Originally Posted by prestigeworldwidex21

90% of white people are racist. We all make black jokes, and most of us even use the "n word" when you aren't around.

Just incase black people and white people didn't know.

90% of brown people are racist. We all make white and black jokes, and most of us even use the "n and c also the d word" when you aren't around.

Im being one hundred percent serious

Originally Posted by MrBrown

Just incase black people and white people didn't know.

90% of brown people are racist. We all make white and black jokes, and most of us even use the "n and c also the d word" when you aren't around.

Im being one hundred percent serious
Was that a comeback?

90%, huh? You got some scientific evidence to back such claims?

?

I'm white (well, half
laugh.gif
) and we make jokes about EVERY race/ethnicity, including white people (which is something people of all backgrounds do as well). You've never heard white dudes joking about white trash or how many white people are unathletic/ "swagless"? or the website stuffwhitepeoplelike.com ? joking=/=racism
grin.gif

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Depends on where you went to school. Growing up for me it was pretty much only in Feb and just some basic MLK, Malcolm X, Harriet Tubman, Madame Cj Walker mentions and like a matching quiz and that was the extent of it. Hell, they're trying to completely rremove or minimize anything about anyone nonwhite, not to mention what does exist is heavily altered and mischaracterized anyways, in many of the Red Southern states.

Yup, I went to a majority white (75%) school and we were always taught about black history (and pretty much every ethnicity/race) throughout the years. We had mandatory year long courses on World Cultures, Ethnic Studies, etc.
roll.gif
 It all started with slavery right? 
laugh.gif

prestigeworldwidex21 wrote:

Not hard to believe at all. *shrugs*

completely random : in 2nd grade, we had to color a picture of MLK as part of the BHM festivities. i, in my genius logic, used the black crayon, along with various others. they were not amused & called my dad at work. it went like this :

teacher : "it seems little DooDoo has used a black crayon to color a picture of MLK."

pops : "did you think to tell the kids not to use a BLACK crayon to color a BLACK man?"

teacher : "I suppose not."

pops : "grand."

Originally Posted by Space DooDoo Pistols

completely random : in 2nd grade, we had to color a picture of MLK as part of the BHM festivities. i, in my genius logic, used the black crayon, along with various others. they were not amused & called my dad at work. it went like this :

teacher : "it seems little DooDoo has used a black crayon to color a picture of MLK."

pops : "did you think to tell the kids not to use a BLACK crayon to color a BLACK man?"

teacher : "I suppose not."

pops : "grand."
Were you a little slow? Did you not watch television ever or leave your house? Ive always known that White people are the peach crayon and black people are brown.

Back
Top Bottom