Business laws heads, your knowledge would be greatly appreciated...trademarks and patents

I have a idea I want to submit to a company but I don't want the company to steal the name I created.  I realize once I submit the idea the company could just say no thank you and build off what I said and do it their way and call it theirs and I'm ok with that because thats just how things go and a risk I am willing to take.  What I don't want is them stealing the name.  How do I go about registering the name(s) so that they can't steal it once I submit my idea?

Thanks in advance!

My honest opinion, if you're asking NT for advice instead of finding it yourself, you're not meant for that life.

My honest opinion, if you're asking NT for advice instead of finding it yourself, you're not meant for that life.
I'm trying to do all the research I can.  From all perspectives across the board.  From my experience, there are some really smart people here and wanted to see if anybody who is competent in the genre of business had some thoughts.  NT isn't my end all for info.  There might be somebody here who may have been in that situation and want to share their experience. 

Check the US trademark and patent website. Your name might already be trademarked.

Lex is right though. NT is not reliable.

Last edited:
Check the US trademark and patent website. Your name might already be trademarked.

Lex is right though. NT is not reliable.

On the most part checking the USPTO site will help but in regards to Trademarks, people aren't required to register their trademark.

On the most part checking the USPTO site will help but in regards to Trademarks, people aren't required to register their trademark.

Yup. And you can't patent names. But if you register your trademark, you have a claim against people who you can prove used it after you registered the trademark [given certain statutory qualifications/requirements].

Last edited:
Been there and checked it out.  The application for registering is complicated though.  I was trying not to go the lawyer route but it's looking like I'm going to have to so that I protect my work. 

Appreciate the info. 

Been there and checked it out.  The application for registering is complicated though.  I was trying not to go the lawyer route but it's looking like I'm going to have to so that I protect my work. 

Appreciate the info. 

If you're serious, go the lawyer route. If not, don't waste your money.

Back
Top Bottom