Bruce Lee vs Anderson Silva

lol i saw jon jones' name get dropped here.....he would body bruce lee, now THAT is not up for debate

size matters, hate to break it to you. bruce lee was a tiny man.

Tony Jaa

He has trained for an unspecified time in Taekwondo although there are no details regarding if this was in ITF or +*# style and if he has received formal Taekwondo training or as part of his stunt team member apprenticeship. Likewise, he is highly skilled in Muay Thai but there is no evidence at present to suggest a formal training history or competitive career.

Tony Jaa

He has trained for an unspecified time in Taekwondo although there are no details regarding if this was in ITF or +*# style and if he has received formal Taekwondo training or as part of his stunt team member apprenticeship. Likewise, he is highly skilled in Muay Thai but there is no evidence at present to suggest a formal training history or competitive career.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by NiPxD

I can't believe we're comparing a man who fights for a living and actually has to defend the right to call himself a champion to someone who wrote books and made movies.
eyes.gif

Really? After all you are still convinced that this is all there is to Master Lee? This is exactly why I cease to take anything you said seriously after a few posts
laugh.gif
. Now you're just talking out of your butt.....

In order to be the best, you have to challenge and beat the best. I always assumed that's how it worked, not making movies and writing books.

Bruce was the best though... not his fault he died before Silva can challenge him.
laugh.gif

Making movies and writing books?
laugh.gif
Straight comedy kid!

I can't believe we're comparing a man who fights for a living and actually has to defend the right to call himself a champion to someone who wrote books and made movies.
eyes.gif

Really? After all you are still convinced that this is all there is to Master Lee? This is exactly why I cease to take anything you said seriously after a few posts
laugh.gif

In order to be the best, you have to challenge and beat the best. I always assumed that's how it worked, not making movies and writing books.

Bruce was the best though... not his fault he died before Silva can challenge him.
laugh.gif

Making movies and writing books?
laugh.gif
Straight comedy kid!

Originally Posted by quik1987

Tony Jaa

Yea, I like Tony Jaa but I'd be stupid to say he would beat up Silva without seeing him fight. Dude's athleticism is
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
tho.

Originally Posted by quik1987

Tony Jaa

Yea, I like Tony Jaa but I'd be stupid to say he would beat up Silva without seeing him fight. Dude's athleticism is
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
tho.

I find it interesting that of all the people that have actually met Bruce and seen him fight in person, worked with, trained with, etc., I haven't seen/read about any of them have ever talkin +@%!, saying anything negative or downplaying his skill at all as a martial artist.  None of them have said "oh he's just an actor".  If Bruce was just an actor making movies or didn't have the skill that the majority of people agree upon, including people well known in martial arts wouldn't he have been exposed by now especially in this day and age where people are always tryin to expose somebody? 

And if you look at his movies, yea they're not real fights and they're choreographed/some improv but the speed, accuracy and precision is VERY REAL.  That's not special effects or camera tricks. 

I find it interesting that of all the people that have actually met Bruce and seen him fight in person, worked with, trained with, etc., I haven't seen/read about any of them have ever talkin +@%!, saying anything negative or downplaying his skill at all as a martial artist.  None of them have said "oh he's just an actor".  If Bruce was just an actor making movies or didn't have the skill that the majority of people agree upon, including people well known in martial arts wouldn't he have been exposed by now especially in this day and age where people are always tryin to expose somebody? 

And if you look at his movies, yea they're not real fights and they're choreographed/some improv but the speed, accuracy and precision is VERY REAL.  That's not special effects or camera tricks. 

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

I agree with your statement about how to be the best, yes, but thats not at all what im pointing at. What im bothered, is how you think all Master Lee did was wrote books and made movies...when in fact, he did way more than just those 2 (altho those 2 things you mentioned, he was incredible at
pimp.gif
) but its cool. Thats your opinion.

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

I agree with your statement about how to be the best, yes, but thats not at all what im pointing at. What im bothered, is how you think all Master Lee did was wrote books and made movies...when in fact, he did way more than just those 2 (altho those 2 things you mentioned, he was incredible at
pimp.gif
) but its cool. Thats your opinion.

not bringing anything new just restating what's already been said
as said before size does matter i.e. sean sherk may be strong for a ****** but he can't t generate enough force to mimick punches from lets say rampage(we know rampage can take a punch from sherk(Bruce )but can sherk take a punch from rampage(Silva)
although Bruce is quick the next question would be .. is his quickness enough to get in and out of Silva's reach or would Silva's reach be too much (it would end up as either koschek(Silva) vs gsp (Bruce) lunging jab clinic or Jon Jones (Silva)vs Rua(Bruce) reach advantage )
both silva and lee have knowledge of vital points,joints and weak point since they have studied arts like aikido therefore by default we can't really say whose has superior technique becuase we don't really know how good Bruce was since he never left a precedent
so my board looks like this

technique: draw
Strength:Silva no arguments( a strong ****** is still a ******)
Reach: Silva
Guile/agility: lee
Speed:lee
Witt: draw (we haven't seen lee take a punch and how he reacts )

so its force vs guile
in the cage : Silva without a doubt its a matter of him waiting for his opportunity to take him down or catch him with a counter or corner him and it game over for the ******
in the streets:its a toss up first one to break the others limb wins but odds are on Silva's side because he's bigger ad stronger

i leave you with this

not bringing anything new just restating what's already been said
as said before size does matter i.e. sean sherk may be strong for a ****** but he can't t generate enough force to mimick punches from lets say rampage(we know rampage can take a punch from sherk(Bruce )but can sherk take a punch from rampage(Silva)
although Bruce is quick the next question would be .. is his quickness enough to get in and out of Silva's reach or would Silva's reach be too much (it would end up as either koschek(Silva) vs gsp (Bruce) lunging jab clinic or Jon Jones (Silva)vs Rua(Bruce) reach advantage )
both silva and lee have knowledge of vital points,joints and weak point since they have studied arts like aikido therefore by default we can't really say whose has superior technique becuase we don't really know how good Bruce was since he never left a precedent
so my board looks like this

technique: draw
Strength:Silva no arguments( a strong ****** is still a ******)
Reach: Silva
Guile/agility: lee
Speed:lee
Witt: draw (we haven't seen lee take a punch and how he reacts )

so its force vs guile
in the cage : Silva without a doubt its a matter of him waiting for his opportunity to take him down or catch him with a counter or corner him and it game over for the ******
in the streets:its a toss up first one to break the others limb wins but odds are on Silva's side because he's bigger ad stronger

i leave you with this

Originally Posted by Cant Break The Unbreakable

And if you've ever seen a real fight you know they look nothing like the scenes from his movies. So his ability to execute a choreographed routine fails to impress me. 
I don't think anyone's downplaying Lee's skills here.......the thread isn't "Bruce Lee vs. Your Grandmother," it's comparing Bruce Lee to the best pound for pound fighter of our day, who happens to outweigh Lee by a good 40+ lbs. 
laugh.gif

And if you've ever seen a real fight you know they look nothing like the scenes from his movies. So his ability to execute a choreographed routine fails to impress me. 
I don't think anyone's downplaying Lee's skills here.......the thread isn't "Bruce Lee vs. Your Grandmother," it's comparing Bruce Lee to the best pound for pound fighter of our day, who happens to outweigh Lee by a good 40+ lbs. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

laugh.gif

Bruce Lee contributed a lot to technique in martial arts, but people in here are acting like he's a super saiyan. I'm not downplaying his knowledge of fighting technique, I am however skeptical of his ability to execute his technique in certain situations eg. Against a bigger, stronger, well trained opponent.

Most people in here talking all that nonsense haven't taken a  few of those Muay Thai kicks to the leg and body. I go sparring with my friend every now and then at his gym and his instructor kicks hard as hell, I couldn't imagine someone bigger than me doing that repeatedly
sick.gif

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

laugh.gif

Bruce Lee contributed a lot to technique in martial arts, but people in here are acting like he's a super saiyan. I'm not downplaying his knowledge of fighting technique, I am however skeptical of his ability to execute his technique in certain situations eg. Against a bigger, stronger, well trained opponent.

Most people in here talking all that nonsense haven't taken a  few of those Muay Thai kicks to the leg and body. I go sparring with my friend every now and then at his gym and his instructor kicks hard as hell, I couldn't imagine someone bigger than me doing that repeatedly
sick.gif

From one of the most educated posters on another message board that I visit

Every last one of you suck. First of all for arguing perception. Bruce Lee's legacy (so to speak) is a matter of that. There are many things to consider here without getting into arguing bantered about third-hand information (what you or anyone else thought of him personally):

1) INDIVIDUALITY - One of the most significant things I've ever read about the Jeet Kune Do wars (between former actual students of his and even his ex-wife), is that too many people thought Jeet Kune Do was some secret manual with all the answers to how every single person should fight. What kills me is so many young dip****s treat this apparently brand-new dominant Martial Art called "MMA" the same way. Bruce experimented with things that work for HIM, so even his recorded information is relative. Without having him right in front of you to make comparisons you could only make with your own two-eyes, all of your drawn conclusions about him are speculative at-best, wether it's to accredit or discredit him with ANYTHING. You are not Bruce, quit #%@#%%@ speaking for him or interpreting %%#@ he did to you or anyone else you know.

2) PEOPLE EXAGGERATE - I used to teach Martial Arts and had this happen both to myself and students of mine. Once I asked a student of mine to describe what it was like to spar with one of my best students who was known for his speed. He said to the third-party "this kid took a one-legged stance (he was using a White Crane variation) and I swear all he did was he shrugged his lead-shoulder, and the next thing I felt was my lip swelling up." Now imagine that %%#@ gets written into like 10000000000000 books over the years. I happened to be there on this occasion and it's MOSTLY true, but that doesn't matter, 50% of you when you read that thought "wow that kid must have been FAST"...the other 50% thought "whoooooooooo I smell a steaming nutty pile of @%#@%%++." None of which matters. That's YOUR decision to make.

3) PERSONAL INPUT - This ALWAYS gets added when considering Martial Forefathers. Everyone's got an opinion, and VERY FEW people have gone lengths to be at-all qualified in terms of actual knowledge of the PERSON in question to render such opinions. I was in San Fransisco and met a former student of Yip Man's who actually trained with him around the same time Bruce did. He HATED, and I mean HATED Bruce. But if you took 5 minutes to objectively listen to the guy you could hear in his stories that his biggest problem with Bruce was the favoratism shown to him by Yip Man. This tainted everything he had to say. Which is hilarious, because there's people taking this guy's word for Gospel because well, he TRAINED WITH BRUCE. Whatever. Just like how now there's all these stories disclaiming Bruce's version of the fight with Jack Wong, but the best part being that they come out AFTER one of them is dead, and the ONE person who actually was there (and was not a friend of either particularly) besides the two of them has remained silent. Maybe he knows when it's best to keep your mouth shut.

4) HUMANITY - The guy was human, some of the %%#@ I've read to both accredit and discredit him are equally absurd in assuming he's perceived as anything but. When someone goes overboard about how in-human he APPEARED, what I like to remind them of is that the !*$***!#%%%# was NEARSIGHTED, and without either his glasses or contact-lenses, he would have a hard time distinguishing details at distances even in fights (hence his fascination for using speed to control and close distances fast, and in-fighting) and that he had one leg longer than the other by about an inch or so, which made him favor one-side when taking stances. Nevermind what he could and couldn't do, those are important physiological constants that put him to a disadvantage. Those who like to talk about him like he was some sort of immortal would do well to remember small details like that. He had physiological things to overcome just like the rest of us.

5) PRACTICALITY - Be #%@#%%@ practical when going over %%#@ like this. I myself possess most of the home-video footage of Bruce training and sparring at demonstrations. Make no mistake, the man was NO slouch. Saying any current lightweight would dominate him is JUST AS STUPID as saying he could take anyone. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about fighting knows EVERYONE loses eventually. Look at the records of the #%@#%%@ MMA guys you worship. NONE of them are un-blemished whatsoever to my knowledge. And most of them have lost to guys they've tooled on occasion. Bruce was not immune to this, but it's just as silly to assume he would be completely overtaken by it given the MAIN factor in all this, NONE OF YOU KNOWS/KNEW him. ALL you can do is SPECULATE.

6) TIME FRAME - Yes Bruce existed in a completely different decade. A completely different era in Martial Arts perception. But this neither discredits or accredits him. We still practice techniques today that were invented HUNDREDS of years ago, and prefected GENERATIONS ago, so no this doesn't make anything Bruce accomplished FOR HIMSELF invalid. What it does do is put it into a specific perspective. Comparing him to today's athletes is pointless (aside from personal amusement), but not entirely impossible. What I'm astounded at is the extreme arrogance of this generation in thinking they're so #%@#%%@ FAR beyond 30 years-ago. Now you know why Fathers run away, because they have to listen to you spewing @%#@%%++ about how much better you know/are than they were, and it's not worth their time or effort to either explain life to you, or kick your self-righteous %#% all over the place.

Now if any of you cannot consider all of these things before offering your half-assed opinions, sit down and shut the Hell up.

From one of the most educated posters on another message board that I visit

Every last one of you suck. First of all for arguing perception. Bruce Lee's legacy (so to speak) is a matter of that. There are many things to consider here without getting into arguing bantered about third-hand information (what you or anyone else thought of him personally):

1) INDIVIDUALITY - One of the most significant things I've ever read about the Jeet Kune Do wars (between former actual students of his and even his ex-wife), is that too many people thought Jeet Kune Do was some secret manual with all the answers to how every single person should fight. What kills me is so many young dip****s treat this apparently brand-new dominant Martial Art called "MMA" the same way. Bruce experimented with things that work for HIM, so even his recorded information is relative. Without having him right in front of you to make comparisons you could only make with your own two-eyes, all of your drawn conclusions about him are speculative at-best, wether it's to accredit or discredit him with ANYTHING. You are not Bruce, quit #%@#%%@ speaking for him or interpreting %%#@ he did to you or anyone else you know.

2) PEOPLE EXAGGERATE - I used to teach Martial Arts and had this happen both to myself and students of mine. Once I asked a student of mine to describe what it was like to spar with one of my best students who was known for his speed. He said to the third-party "this kid took a one-legged stance (he was using a White Crane variation) and I swear all he did was he shrugged his lead-shoulder, and the next thing I felt was my lip swelling up." Now imagine that %%#@ gets written into like 10000000000000 books over the years. I happened to be there on this occasion and it's MOSTLY true, but that doesn't matter, 50% of you when you read that thought "wow that kid must have been FAST"...the other 50% thought "whoooooooooo I smell a steaming nutty pile of @%#@%%++." None of which matters. That's YOUR decision to make.

3) PERSONAL INPUT - This ALWAYS gets added when considering Martial Forefathers. Everyone's got an opinion, and VERY FEW people have gone lengths to be at-all qualified in terms of actual knowledge of the PERSON in question to render such opinions. I was in San Fransisco and met a former student of Yip Man's who actually trained with him around the same time Bruce did. He HATED, and I mean HATED Bruce. But if you took 5 minutes to objectively listen to the guy you could hear in his stories that his biggest problem with Bruce was the favoratism shown to him by Yip Man. This tainted everything he had to say. Which is hilarious, because there's people taking this guy's word for Gospel because well, he TRAINED WITH BRUCE. Whatever. Just like how now there's all these stories disclaiming Bruce's version of the fight with Jack Wong, but the best part being that they come out AFTER one of them is dead, and the ONE person who actually was there (and was not a friend of either particularly) besides the two of them has remained silent. Maybe he knows when it's best to keep your mouth shut.

4) HUMANITY - The guy was human, some of the %%#@ I've read to both accredit and discredit him are equally absurd in assuming he's perceived as anything but. When someone goes overboard about how in-human he APPEARED, what I like to remind them of is that the !*$***!#%%%# was NEARSIGHTED, and without either his glasses or contact-lenses, he would have a hard time distinguishing details at distances even in fights (hence his fascination for using speed to control and close distances fast, and in-fighting) and that he had one leg longer than the other by about an inch or so, which made him favor one-side when taking stances. Nevermind what he could and couldn't do, those are important physiological constants that put him to a disadvantage. Those who like to talk about him like he was some sort of immortal would do well to remember small details like that. He had physiological things to overcome just like the rest of us.

5) PRACTICALITY - Be #%@#%%@ practical when going over %%#@ like this. I myself possess most of the home-video footage of Bruce training and sparring at demonstrations. Make no mistake, the man was NO slouch. Saying any current lightweight would dominate him is JUST AS STUPID as saying he could take anyone. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about fighting knows EVERYONE loses eventually. Look at the records of the #%@#%%@ MMA guys you worship. NONE of them are un-blemished whatsoever to my knowledge. And most of them have lost to guys they've tooled on occasion. Bruce was not immune to this, but it's just as silly to assume he would be completely overtaken by it given the MAIN factor in all this, NONE OF YOU KNOWS/KNEW him. ALL you can do is SPECULATE.

6) TIME FRAME - Yes Bruce existed in a completely different decade. A completely different era in Martial Arts perception. But this neither discredits or accredits him. We still practice techniques today that were invented HUNDREDS of years ago, and prefected GENERATIONS ago, so no this doesn't make anything Bruce accomplished FOR HIMSELF invalid. What it does do is put it into a specific perspective. Comparing him to today's athletes is pointless (aside from personal amusement), but not entirely impossible. What I'm astounded at is the extreme arrogance of this generation in thinking they're so #%@#%%@ FAR beyond 30 years-ago. Now you know why Fathers run away, because they have to listen to you spewing @%#@%%++ about how much better you know/are than they were, and it's not worth their time or effort to either explain life to you, or kick your self-righteous %#% all over the place.

Now if any of you cannot consider all of these things before offering your half-assed opinions, sit down and shut the Hell up.

I just see this as Kobe vs LeBron playing one on one. 

I'm just always gonna pick the most skilled, disciplined, master of his craft. 

kobe-bryant-bruce-lee-poster-2.jpg

I think people are constantly becoming better athletes everyday. Look at Jordan he was one of the greatest NBA players of all time. And we all thought that when he retired, but then when he re-entered the NBA we found out he could be stopped. So the myth died. Bruce died in his prime as the greatest martial artists ever, he has never got his %%@ kicked, and so most of us like to think that he still is the greatest ever. But with constant refinement of todays skills, body builds and new ways of training, it's a tough call for me to make............ but BRUCE LEE WOULD STILL KICK %%@ BECAUSE HE WAS WAY AHEAD OF HIS TIME in all of the said refinements!

JK, I still wouldn't know who to choose, but I feel like evolution would probably favor Silva since he also has grappling skills.

I think people are constantly becoming better athletes everyday. Look at Jordan he was one of the greatest NBA players of all time. And we all thought that when he retired, but then when he re-entered the NBA we found out he could be stopped. So the myth died. Bruce died in his prime as the greatest martial artists ever, he has never got his %%@ kicked, and so most of us like to think that he still is the greatest ever. But with constant refinement of todays skills, body builds and new ways of training, it's a tough call for me to make............ but BRUCE LEE WOULD STILL KICK %%@ BECAUSE HE WAS WAY AHEAD OF HIS TIME in all of the said refinements!

JK, I still wouldn't know who to choose, but I feel like evolution would probably favor Silva since he also has grappling skills.

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

A better comparison would be Lebron vs. Magic Johnson....Kobe is/ was in his prime one of the most athletic guards in the league. And saying this in insinuating that Silva isn't disciplined and skilled which is pretty stupid.

Even better this would be like comparing Lebron to Jerry West.

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

A better comparison would be Lebron vs. Magic Johnson....Kobe is/ was in his prime one of the most athletic guards in the league. And saying this in insinuating that Silva isn't disciplined and skilled which is pretty stupid.

Even better this would be like comparing Lebron to Jerry West.

Back
Top Bottom