Bobby Valentino Exits DTP

Bobby Valentino has exited Disturbing Tha Peace/Def Jam and plans to release two independent projects: a six-track EP followed by a full-length studio album.

Calling the departure amicable, the singer/songwriter describes his two-album DTP/Def Jam tenure as a "great stepping stone and learning experience. Ilook at this as my going off to college. It was time for me to step out on my own and show the world who Bobby Valentino the artist really is."

While in Los Angeles to negotiate distribution for his Blu Kolla Dreams Records (in partnership with Courtney Stewart), Valentino told billboard.biz that hisdigital-only EP, "Come With Me," will become available April 29. It was recorded earlier this year in tandem with producer Bill Jabr. "Bill andI are on a vibe to do something different beyond the R&B norm," says Valentino. "I call it R&B alternative: we use live instrumentation likeelectric guitars but the drums remain very urban/rhythmic."

The EP serves as a bridge to the yet-untitled studio album that he plans to release in late summer. Longtime collaborators Tim & Bob are also on theproduction roster along with Raphael Saadiq. The set's first single, already at radio, is "When I See You Smile" featuring Lil' Wayne. In thefuture, Valentino hopes to sign a couple of other acts to Blu Kolla.

Valentino's self-titled DTP album debuted and peaked at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 in 2005. According to Nielsen SoundScan, the album stands at 706,000units. His 2007 effort, "Special Occasion," posted the same chart stats and has sold 267,000 units.

Dude is a talented artist. I felt his 1st album moreso than the 2nd joint. I'm lookin forward to good music from Bobby V.

Seriosuly if your signed to DTP... your destined to flop

Ask Shawna, Playa's Circle, Chingy Bobby V, Shareefa, Field Mob, I-20

Mattafact the only reason DTP artists get heavy radio spins is because they fall underneath the Def Jam/Universal umbrella

Yea Chingy's 1st album sold 3 million records, Bobby V went gold, Luda sellin' and those compilations all went gold as well as that Fast 2 Furioussoundtrack went gold. They've had success but recently its been non-existent. Its not shocking though. It has nothing to do with DTP as you can see Chingysold 3 million records his first time out. Its just the artists aren't marketable. You gotta make the consumer want to buy your album. I don't thinkthey have that quality other than Luda. Besides, who's sellin' right now anyway lol? Can't you go to every record label in the industry and pullout a million flops lol? Only ones selling are established artists and some of them aren't even selling anymore. Look at Janet.

Bout time. He had 2 of the best R&B albums out in recent years and couldn't even sell because of the stupid label.

"Special Occasion" was a dope album, I started playing it this past week again. His debut album was tough too, he makes good music. I'll end upcoppin this album just for support, I hate the fact that he got lil wayne mumbling on this shhh. Makes me second guess buying it, but oh well.

"Special Occasion" at 267,000.....WOW, thats real bad

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Dude is a talented artist. I felt his 1st album moreso than the 2nd joint. I'm lookin forward to good music from Bobby V.

The first one was serious! Damn near every track was solid gold.

^Yeah, that first Bobby V album was crazy!! I stopped listening to all of my hip hop cds for awhile after listening to his first album.
I still have yet to hear the second album so i have to go out and cop that later on, i heard that it was nice from other individuals.

Raphael Saadiq on production as well as Tim & Bob for the upcoming album? That is all that i needed to hear, im buying it!
Ralphs production is incredible, i have his last solo album and that was one of the best R&B albums i have ever heard in my lifetime.

Bobby Valentino on Tim & Bobs production is just bananas! That connection has to be there, if you dont know by now just go back and listen to the firstBobby V album.

Originally Posted by FinesseSosa

While in Los Angeles to negotiate distribution for his Blu Kolla Dreams Records (in partnership with Courtney Stewart)
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I was feelin' his first album and only skipped 3 tracks @ most.......too bad he never followed up with another good album.

As long as he keeps working with Tim & Bob I'll keep checking for him.

Special Occasion was good but not as good as the debut...

The 2nd album was terrible compared to the first. If he would have put some of the stuff e put onto mixtapes on special occasion it would have been muchbetter.

both albums were pretty good imo.

only 700k units? with the way the radio played slow down, i'm suprised his first album didn't go platinum.

First album was great Second was a solid follow up. I wish dude success hope he'll be able to secure a Major deal.

Back
Top Bottom