Boardwalk Empire Season 5 Thread - Series Finale - Eldorado

Ok I wanted to say something way earlier :lol: but I was like maybe I'm being confused by both shows being in the exact same time period for the most part.

Crazy how she played two roles with similar arcs. Whoever did casting was aware.

Last edited:
Lol, I feel like such an emotional simp knowing the show is over
frown.gif
laugh.gif

Gotta post random clips to get over the sting.

Ending was pretty decent. Wish they showed more/ stretched out the end where he gives Gillian to Commadore a and gets killed by Tommy. I think they extended some scenes unnecessari and rushed others. But overall, I enjoyed it.

One thing I caught was the opening sequence. Instead of the normal opening theme, they showed him swimming. I know it ties in the his childhood and at the end with the coin, but....
in the normal opening sequece, the wave carrying bottles rush over his feet/ shoes and then he walks away ( then show title appears). Kinda like he, hes getting his feet wet, getting what he wants out
of the game and is on his way. I thought it was intentional to show him swimming in the water as the opening scene because he is no longer just gettting what he wants out of it. He is apart of it
and embracing everything that comes with that life that he lived. He was accepting his fate.

damn good show.

From Reddit:

Series finale is over. So now we know that young Joe Harper is indeed Tommy Darmody, and that he ends up killing Nucky for revenge, the twist being that he sought revenge not only for his father but also for his grandmother.

So why did Tommy wait so long? Why did he work for Nucky under an alias for a while before deciding to finally do the deed? Because he was waiting for the final word to come from his grandma, Gillian.

Gillian made a deal with her warden to write a letter to Nucky. Apparently, she also wrote to Tommy. She probably wrote him for years. In these letters, she most likely shared her long history with Nucky, telling Tommy everything. This surely would have enraged Tommy, to which Gillian would plead "Don't kill Nucky, he's my only hope of getting out of here..."

Then Nucky sees her for one final visit, where he tells her that he will not help her get out, don't ever ask me again, etc. The most he offers is that if she ever somehow gets out on her own there will be a trust fund waiting for her. This aid is worthless. She will most likely never get out, and even if she did it would be after years of more "treatments" from Dr. Cotton.

When Tommy learns that Nucky absolutely refuses to help get grandma out of the asylum, there's no longer anything holding him back from exacting revenge. He gets drunk to help him do the deed, commits some petty crime at the Ritz in order to summon Nucky, and then finally pulls the trigger.

Yeah I was wondering if the final meet with Nucky was her trying to give Nucky a way out. That reddit article answered some questions.

When it's broken down like that, had Nucky remained the cold bastard he always was and didn't even bother to meet Gillian chances are he dips from AC to the city and Tommy never sees Nuck again or at least has time to have that slow build up reveal.

‘Boardwalk Empire’ Ratings: Series Ends With 2.3M Watching HBO Finale

gillian-nucky-saunders.jpg

Like a fine bottle of Scotch, all good things come to an end and that’s what Boardwalk Empire did last night after five seasons – with a bit of a lift. An estimated 2.3 million people watched the 9 PM final sign-off of HBO’s prohibition period drama. That’s up 7% from the 2.18 million who tuned in for the Season 4 ender on November 24 last year. As it has all season, Boardwalk Empire faced strong competition last night from Sunday Night Football on NBC which saw the New Orleans Saints soundly beat the Green Bay Packers 44-23.

Over all its plays last night, Boardwalk Empire‘s final ender had 3 million viewers, which is its best Season 5 result. When you throw in DVR viewing, HBO Go and more platforms, the series has been averaging a gross audience of 6.6 million viewers per show this season.

xXt1Cwd.gif

Last edited:
if Tommy was in jail before Nucky came to bail him out

how did he have a gun on his persons? seems like they went straight to the diner after leaving the jail

either they didn't check him for weapons before they put him in jail or he stashed it somewhere to grab later

Those IRS agents were only 10 feet away from Nucky. Took them awfully long to make their way to Tommy. Not saying they could have prevented the killing, but I'm sure they could have intervened in some way.

Also, very ironic that there was a King Neptune billboard that Nucky saw just moments before getting clapped.

if Tommy was in jail before Nucky came to bail him out
how did he have a gun on his persons? seems like they went straight to the diner after leaving the jail
either they didn't check him for weapons before they put him in jail or he stashed it somewhere to grab later
probably name dropping nucky they probably just kept him there without checking

Last edited:
Michael Pitt Spoiled The End Of ‘Boardwalk Empire’ Months Ago And We Didn’t Even Realize It

Michael Pitt, as many of you may recall, played Jimmy Darmody in the first two seasons of Boardwalk Empire before being killed off in the second season finale (some have suggested that it’s because Michael Pitt was a terror to work with).

However, back in July, Pitt — who was promoting a separate project — was asked how he thought the series should end. His response, according to E!:

“I think my son should assassinate Nucky Thompson,” Pitt said. “My son is about 11 now. Yeah, he needs to assassinate Nucky.”

And wouldn’t you know it, but that’s exactly what happened (only Tommy wasn’t 11; he was closer to 16, somehow).

An alright season because of the condensed nature. I didn't care about any of the Cuba stuff in the end... I get why they went that route, but in the end what was the point? It wasn't wheel-spinning, but it was just "We need Nucky to have some business to care about" while other stuff was going on. Had they been given more episodes, maybe it wouldn't have felt so rushed. The non-Nucky stuff was awesome. We set up the Commission, Capone goes away (what a send-off with his son :pimp:), even Margaret had her moments in the end.

I'm not as much of a fan of the Tommy reveal if you think about it as revenge for Jimmy... but the parallels with Gillian made it work for me. The whole series of events which started by Nucky intentionally lying and putting a young, Gillian at risk and right into the hand's of a predator... in the end came back on him. Nucky is different than a lot of other antiheroes because he didn't like the guy he became... but it's still who he is. He did a very bad thing and in the end it cost him his life.

Gillian was always a tragic character and I'm glad we saw more of her this season... it was well worth it.

I'll need to think more about the finale and the series as a whole. I think it was a satisfying end, but the shock and reveal was ruined a bit because of this thread, AV Club, reddit, etc. mentioning it might be Tommy so it didn't shock me, if that was the intention.

In the end, I loved the series for a lot of what they did right, even if it didn't truly come together in the way a lot of us wanted.

I wanna re-watch the finale, but did Tommy say anything about "this being for his dad" or IIRC, only his "Mima"?

Back
Top Bottom