Bmw 528i questions...

Sup NT?
I just have a few questions about the 98 528i. Reason being is, i'm in the market for one and i'm wondering how well these cars are holding up!

SO my questions are, how are these cars mechanically holding up? are they extremely pricey to fix? 

Thanks in advance guys, im sure ill be asking more questions as they show up in my head.

Badly and yes.

They're cheap now - but that's for a reason. Things will go wrong with a car that age and the parts aren't cheap. They're not as complicated as a modern car but it will be a guaranteed money pit.

Not sure about the 98 528i but I have heard good things.
As far as repairs, you may find that fixing an older BMW is a tad more expensive just because of the availability of the parts
But it's worth the cost imo. Beamers are very well built cars. I have a 98 7-series BMW with 140k miles and it still runs great!
I'd say go for it. If you treat that car well over the years, it'll do the same for you

I keep hearing good/bad things about this car. i just might consider jumping in, although! i will be carefull on who ill purchase it from., is there anything i should really look for when purchaseing? such as notorious issues those cars may have??

Go for it. I had a 2000 528i w/ M sport package with 230,xxx miles and it held up just fine. Just make sure you refresh the cooling system. It's also an easy to work on so you can save lots of money if you DIY.
2m863hf.jpg

Originally Posted by Jayizill21

I'd say go for it. If you treat that car well over the years, it'll do the same for you

Yeah, but that's the point - you don't know how it's been treated over the past 13 years. If it's looked after then they are great - but you don't know if it's been looked after.

I don't know if the 5 series is the same but the 2.8l E36 had some problems with the Nikasil lining in the engine - a lot were recalled but not all of them. Someone else might know if this engine is the same.

thanks for the feedback guys. ill definately check into that cooling system issue and check out the type of people im actually buying the car from

The entire electric dash will go out on you if you can find one thats not already messed up, never seen a late 90s model that didn't have this problem. . Very costly to fix.

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Just curious, why a '98 528i?  Any specific reason or just want it as a daily driver?

Daily driver, its only my second car. also, i checked some quotes and it seems to be the cheapest route 
grin.gif

Go for it! I have a 98' 328i and my brother has a 98' 528i. To this day, both cars are running good. My hard is driven pretty hard on the daily since I commute to school and all these damn hills (SF). Parts and maintenance can be expensive even if you know someone that can hook you up. Just remember to keep replacing your oil and for my BMW keep checking our coolant and radiator. These seem to be the main troubles with older BMWs

it should be fine the next model is a %!@$%, but when something goes wrong its pricey

An e39 before 2000 are good money. Less problems than the later ones.

Still a ticking timebomb though. The pixels in your dash and radio WILL go out with time. And your windows will too.

Hope you enjoy putting money into it. And make sure its a sport package.

I have an e36 328 M.. from Japan.

Previous owner looked after it so well. Its now done 187,000kms and running as beautiful as ever. Just needs an oil change every 6 months and a wheel alignment/balancing too. Love it to pieces.

BMWs hold up well over the yrs if the owner took car of the car and im sure it will be pricey to fix especially since its an older car but hopefully you know someone who works on them besides a shop because they will get in those pockets

Back
Top Bottom