Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Directed to Jehlers and I'm no expert but I have a 1080i tv and I see the difference from blu ray and DVD just fine, so I don't think 1080i and p isthat much of a big deal.

And aren't all HDMI cables the same? I think you got hosed on that $70 cable homie. I'm rocking a $5 HDMI cable I got from monoprice.com and I have afantastic picture.

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

So....if I have reg DVD'S.....I'd have to buy a bluray upconvert dvd player to get the blu ray effect on those reg dvd's?

there's not really any such thing as the "Blu-Ray Effect".

to answer the question i think you're asking, yes, you do have to have an upconverting DVD player to allow you to watch your regular 480p DVD's in1080p.
it does NOT have to be a Blu-Ray player. any upconverting DVD player will do that.

the PS3 happens to be both, and upconverting DVD player and a Blu-Ray player.

to whoever asked about Nightmare Before Christmas, i've had for awhile, and have watched it no less than 4 times. it's fantastic in HD.

Originally Posted by GoodfellaDave

I have a PS3 and 2 HDTVs. One is 1080p and one is 720p. I have watched Blu Ray movies on both and my problem is they are both widescreen tv's but I still get black bars. This was my biggest reason for getting widescreen, because I have an attention problem and can't focus with the black bars. I'm wondering if there is a setting, where it will come in full screen, I pushed full screen on my TV remote but then the picture looks all stretched and horrible. I just don't get how a movie is filmed in widescreen and a TV is widescreen but there's still black bars.

Its because the TV is 16:9 Aspect ratio... Many movies are shot in 2.35:1... causing you to have the black bars.

No reason to complain about it, either get a bigger TV or accept the fact that you're not losing any picture that was on the original film...

I have a PS3 and 2 HDTVs. One is 1080p and one is 720p. I have watched Blu Ray movies on both and my problem is they are both widescreen tv's but I still get black bars. This was my biggest reason for getting widescreen, because I have an attention problem and can't focus with the black bars. I'm wondering if there is a setting, where it will come in full screen, I pushed full screen on my TV remote but then the picture looks all stretched and horrible. I just don't get how a movie is filmed in widescreen and a TV is widescreen but there's still black bars.

as stated, this is due to the acpect ratio used during filming.

if you want a movie that doesn't have the black bars, then look for movies filmed in 1.85:1.

on a 16:9 aspect ratio, 1.85:1 is the closest you can get to full screen without steching.

Just bought my first Blu-Ray movie
9fe161108059eb46bb468c17a5afaadf98c8918e.gif

B001GZ6QEC.01._SX278_SCLZZZZZZZ_V239187891_.jpg

B001GZ6QEC.01._SX278_SCLZZZZZZZ_V239187891_.jpg

blank.png

blank.png

blank.png

blank.png

cover.gif

Originally Posted by JPZx

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'm watching Band of Brothers right now on the History Channel in HD, they're showing the whole season today. Great picture.
I was watching that on History channel earlier..

Question though..what's the difference between HD on TV and Blu-Ray? Maybe that's a stupid question, but I want to know if there's a difference..
TV is usually 720P vs 1080P on Blu-Ray. Also, due to obvious bandwidth limits, tv audio and video is compressed. In a lot of cases, Blu-Ray hasuncompressed audio, the same as what they have in the theaters.

I just picked up Band Of Brothers on blu-ray, David Schwimmer throws of the whole show for me
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

I just picked up Band Of Brothers on blu-ray, David Schwimmer throws of the whole show for me
roll.gif
Dude shouldn't even try to escape Friends..he'll always be known as Ross
laugh.gif

320px-Friends_ver4.jpg

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Its because the TV is 16:9 Aspect ratio... Many movies are shot in 2.35:1... causing you to have the black bars.

No reason to complain about it, either get a bigger TV or accept the fact that you're not losing any picture that was on the original film...

Can I buy a TV with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio? Forgive me if this is a really stupid question, I know about as much as your average grandparent with this HDstuff.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Can I buy a TV with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio? Forgive me if this is a really stupid question, I know about as much as your average grandparent with this HD stuff.
No.

Okay so I'm at a crossroads trying to decide what to buy. I have like 70 worth of gift cards to spend at BBY and I can't decide whether to get PlanetEarth or Band of Brothers and another movie. What do you guys that have seen them think?

People are saying Planet Earth is amazing...

But I still find it hard to spend that much money on a nature video

On an off note, I just popped in Iron Man not long ago, and after watching the Big Lebowski a few nights ago... I'm having a hard time watching JeffBridges as Obidiah.... never had that problem before
roll.gif

PS

Shaun, don't buy anything yet, and play your 2k games
happy.gif

I'm going to bed in a second, but I have the next 2 days off so we need to get our third game in.

But IMO get Band of Brothers and then another movie. But it goes off sale tomorrow I think, back to 75. I picked it up for 37 a few days ago
pimp.gif

@ Amazon.com I got:

-The Dark Knight
-The Incredible Hulk
-Transformers

Good choices for the beginning of my Blu-Ray collection?

Planet Earth has some stunning visuals, but I'm not sure about its "rewatchability"... not to say that Planet Earth isn't worth it, butI'd personally go for a movie...

i still cant decide between a nice blu ray player or a ps3

AAaaaaAAaAaAAAAhhhhHhHHhHHhH

Planet Earth (for
pimp.gif
)
TDK (duh)
Bourne trilogy(best way to see them all for the first time)
transformers

btw cheapest place to get any of those ^?

Originally Posted by brwnboi

can the PS3 blu-ray player give the same look as what they preview at BESTBUY?

the PS3 is one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market.

give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Planet Earth has some stunning visuals, but I'm not sure about its "rewatchability"... not to say that Planet Earth isn't worth it, but I'd personally go for a movie...
Ive watched the entire thing at LEAST twice... some episodes 3-4 times.

Bourne trilogy(best way to see them all for the first time)
I NEED this. Anyone know a place to cop it for around 30-40?

I also want the Pirates Trilogy...

Back
Top Bottom