Black American Men in Brazil (DOCUMENTARY)

but if i wanna venture out and visit other culture its pretty easy in NYC, just go to different nieghborhoods

and go see da other natives.
Just a point I would like to make to you ninjahood, if you TRULY want to visit other cultures, that would require you to visit other countries, and not just different neighborhoods in NYC.  If you want to experience something new by interacting with another culture that's not going to be accomplished by having a MTA card and subway access.  It's time for you to pack your bags champ and start traveling. 

Just a point I would like to make to you ninjahood, if you TRULY want to visit other cultures, that would require you to visit other countries, and not just different neighborhoods in NYC.  If you want to experience something new by interacting with another culture that's not going to be accomplished by having a MTA card and subway access.  It's time for you to pack your bags champ and start traveling. 
Yes you will never get 100% of the culture by going to a different neighborhood.

But certain ethnic enclaves like the heights for dominicans or flatbush/east flatbush for west indians are very pure and you will get a very sizeable dose of the culture.

Yes you will never get 100% of the culture by going to a different neighborhood.

But certain ethnic enclaves like the heights for dominicans or flatbush/east flatbush for west indians are very pure and you will get a very sizeable dose of the culture.
Yeah, but there is nothing like the real thing. I can't go to Chinatown and say thats how China is, because that would be false. I can't go to little cuba and say thats how cuba really is, that wouldnt be fair.

I rather see the ACTUAL places and FULLY experience the culture.  All these posts made by Ninja shows he hasn't really been outside of NY, therefore his mindset appear as close minded as somebody who never left their stoop.

Yeah, but there is nothing like the real thing. I can't go to Chinatown and say thats how China is, because that would be false. I can't go to little cuba and say thats how cuba really is, that wouldnt be fair.

I rather see the ACTUAL places and FULLY experience the culture.  All these posts made by Ninja shows he hasn't really been outside of NY, therefore his mindset appear as close minded as somebody who never left their stoop.
Or you could do one when cash is tight and the other when u save up a both.  Both are legitimate forms of tourism and seeing other cultures.

I think he said he had a house in DR and something about ferari dealer being not far and what not.  I think he's been somewhere.

It's crazy how there are more West Indian folks abroad than in the actual West Indies.

Or you could do one when cash is tight and the other when u save up a both.  Both are legitimate forms of tourism and seeing other cultures.

I think he said he had a house in DR and something about ferari dealer being not far and what not.  I think he's been somewhere.
Thought he was born DR. Dude compared going to a ny area to going to an actual country. What kind of variant traveling experience is that? Ole B grade tourism.

Did this fool just say Wash Heights is basically DR? Cmon fam. This is why we can't have nice threads :lol: :smh:

It's crazy how there are more West Indian folks abroad than in the actual West Indies.
laugh.gif

Our diaspora gets busy.

the black (american) men in brazil vid was interesting, but as was stated, it isn't really just a black problem rather a western/american culture problem(in the u.s. marriage rates have be in decline for a minute, and a theory as to why is that alot of men are struggling for decent wages in the new economy)...MOST women look to settle with a man that can take care of them, that is what MOST women (almost regardless of culture) are socialized to expect. i think it just so happens that for black women there are less black men that met those requirements and for whatever reason black women(there are "studies" finding that black women & asian men are the least likely to date outside their race/ethnicity) tend not to broaden their available candidates outside of their ethnicity/race. that is basically the whole issue, black women needing to cast a wider net. of course there are other issues, but i think it can be distilled to that.

[quote name="AmericanGenius"]

Exactly. And Ninja despite your long post you completely ducked my question which was why not go live in the place you feel you identify most with? I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. Some people come here to escape how bad the conditions are where they lived but that doesn't seem to be the case for you boasting about a Ferrari dealership in your neighborhood. You're spending the majority of your life here when you could have been in DR[/quote]

it isn't a conflict to love where you are from & identify with it more than the place you currently reside, haven't you ever run into a new yorker in los angeles? to address this is pretty easy, it is the mix of adventure, ambition, freedom, & opportunity. even if you are doing well in a poor country, the cultural experience, opportunity and freedom afford to individuals tends to be (or at least perceived to be) higher in the states (granted this has its downfalls)...i agree in principle w/ninjahood in terms of people just assimilating into the larger culture being a negative thing(though , if one is going to live within another culture it would make sense that they learn the language), i genuinely believe a BIG part of what has made america great is the clash of cultures & incorporating them into the large culture; i think the history of the world has shown that to be true

i think america to be the best country in the world mainly because of its diversity, i say this somewhat ignorantly/naively not having traveled alot, i have been to various spots in asia & europe, and the homogeneity of those places is extremely disturbing & weird to me. but the u.s. is far from perfect, & it shouldn't require one to 1st acknowledge all the flaws present in their own culture/country of origin to point out flaws in the "american way."

Did this fool just say Wash Heights is basically DR? Cmon fam. This is why we can't have nice threads
laugh.gif
mean.gif
As of 2010, the five largest concentrations of Dominican Americans are in New York (674,787), New Jersey (197,922), Florida (172,451), Massachusetts (103,292), and Pennsylvania (62,348). Rhode Island is the only state where Dominicans are the largest Hispanic group. In New York City, the borough of Manhattan (New York County) is the only county in the country where Dominicans are the largest ancestral group and its Washington Heights neighborhood has long been considered the center of the Dominican American community.[sup][5][/sup] The 2010 Census estimated the nationwide Dominican American population at 1,414,703.[sup][6][/sup]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_American

so you sayin?
grin.gif
glasses.gif

As of 2010, the five largest concentrations of Dominican Americans are in New York (674,787), New Jersey (197,922), Florida (172,451), Massachusetts (103,292), and Pennsylvania (62,348). Rhode Island is the only state where Dominicans are the largest Hispanic group. In New York City, the borough of Manhattan (New York County) is the only county in the country where Dominicans are the largest ancestral group and its Washington Heights neighborhood has long been considered the center of the Dominican American community.[sup][5][/sup] The 2010 Census estimated the nationwide Dominican American population at 1,414,703.[sup][6][/sup]

so you sayin?
grin.gif
glasses.gif
The heights still aint DR and DR still aint Africa

So you were saying?

Did this fool just say Wash Heights is basically DR? Cmon fam. This is why we can't have nice threads
laugh.gif
mean.gif

so you sayin?
grin.gif
glasses.gif
let me put that in bold for da blind folk.

since we're talkin bout CULTURE and all.

Wow. I was agreeing with you until that posts.
Everytime someone goes to Chinatown they basically flew all the way to China with that logic

Wow. I was agreeing with you until that posts.
Everytime someone goes to Chinatown they basically flew all the way to China with that logic
if you immerse your self in da actual culture of da neighborhoodm its not that different then where they came from.

that goes for every ethnic enclave in NYC. land is just a mass of nothing, its da people that make it unique and make it its own.

you can be in chinatown, not speak a lick of english, and you'll be fine for da most part, same thing can be said of da heightz with

spanish. these neighborhoods are like a support system for immigrants. a home away from home if you will. so going to different hoods

in NYC, while you're not gonna get da COMPLETE experience of say da russians in kingbridge, or da inidan hindus in queens, its a great

starting part to learn about different cultures just moving around NYC.

I have been to Carroll City or whatever the NY neighborhood is called. I have also been to france (for an extended stay of almost a year).
Miss me with that ****. In no way is it the same. You can get by almost anywhere in America these days by speaking spanish. We might as well be in Columbia amiright?

I do a lot of world traveling. If you travel (no shots, not sure if you do) you would realize. Architecture, age of the city/township, the time the average store closes, and other little things that add up is a major part of any culture.

The difference between Chicago and NY is a lot for seemingly similar cities. You don't think the difference between madrid and barcelona is huge? You are not going to experience that difference by simply walking into a Spanish neighborhood.

Many businesses have tried and failed in a foreign market by using your logic ninja.

Last edited:
Even then there are things you can't find in America even in a cultural shop/neighborhood. Things that if you do find, will not be the same as if you got it from their hometown

Last edited:
Yea LA, NYC, Houston, DC and Altanta have huge Nigerian populations, going to those is basically like living in Nigeria.
Man, by Ninja's logic, I've been to Nigeria more times than than I can count on my two hands and feet.

I have been to Carroll City or whatever the NY neighborhood is called. I have also been to france (for an extended stay of almost a year).
Miss me with that ****. In no way is it the same. You can get by almost anywhere in America these days by speaking spanish. We might as well be in Columbia amiright?

I do a lot of world traveling. If you travel (no shots, not sure if you do) you would realize. Architecture, age of the city/township, the time the average store closes, and other little things that add up is a major part of any culture.

The difference between Chicago and NY is a lot for seemingly similar cities. You don't think the difference between madrid and barcelona is huge? You are not going to experience that difference by simply walking into a Spanish neighborhood.

Many businesses have tried and failed in a foreign market by using your logic ninja.
He clearly doesn't. If he did he wouldn't make statements like he does. He doesn't factor in morals, economics, landscape, and just the freaking environment. Washington Heights is NOTHING like DR except the actual people living there and even then, a huge portion living there are Americans. How can you really say things like that man?

let me put that in bold for da blind folk.

since we're talkin bout CULTURE and all
.........and the key word in that statement ninjahood is "ALL".  You nor anyone else is truly experiencing all of what the DR is about by living or visiting Washington Heights.  The example that someone brought up earlier about China and Chinatown was spot on as well.  Like I said before, having a MTA fare card simply isn't going to cut it champ, but having a passport will to experience the culture.  

He clearly doesn't. If he did he wouldn't make statements like he does. He doesn't factor in morals, economics, landscape, and just the freaking environment. Washington Heights is NOTHING like DR except the actual people living there and even then, a huge portion living there are Americans. How can you really say things like that man?

Not for nothing b, i go to DR every year & i live squarely in da heart of da heightz born & raised..

I think i got alot more clout on my neighborhood & my culture dynamics then a troll account thats ridin my platano. :lol:

pyg thread made me think of this thread. I missed it the first time.......didn't care. I wanna leave impressed.

Back
Top Bottom