BIG PROBLEM! someone please help! ...desperate

So ive just recently purchased a 2001 2.0 turbo v4 passat with 83,000 miles on it less than a week ago. Its super clean and all. And the preowner seemed veryhonest. And he was a mechanic as well. And 2 days ago, ive decided to buy and install a jvc 2 din head unit in the dash. I went to intense kustom audios inOceanside new york to get it done. The tv came out great, but as soon as I pulled out of their lot, my check engine light went off. Im thinking they messed upmy sensors because my father told me that German cars usually have antitheft systems that might mess up the sensors. (and keep in mind that the stock was apremium monsoon) so the next day I took the car back. They reset the battery and kept telling me that the obd cant link to my car. (it actually didn't, Isaw it myself). Afterwards they kept telling me that the preowner probably reset it and it probably came on again. (Which is a total lie cuz I took the car toa mechanic to get an oil change and everything checked out.) So now the check engine light is off, but it might come on again any time now. Can someone pleasehelp me in what I should do, or what the problem is or probably is. I just turned 18 and worked my butt off to purchase this car for college and put my lastcents into the head unit, which was obviously a huge mistake. and i also came back from a 10 mile drive like an hour ago and my engine is still burning hot. isthat normal?

Originally Posted by Ripfan8I6

cliff notes?

For real? If you ain't gonna bother reading, why bother posting? Keep it movin'

OP- I have no idea man, I say you should take it to a trusted mechanic to run some tests on it. It won't cost as much asan official dealership doing it, and he probably won't charge you much just for checking it out.

Originally Posted by silicapacks

So ive just recently purchased a 2001 2.0 turbo v4 passat with 83,000 miles on it less than a week ago. Its super clean and all. And the preowner seemed very honest. And he was a mechanic as well. And 2 days ago, ive decided to buy and install a jvc 2 din head unit in the dash. I went to intense kustom audios in Oceanside new york to get it done. The tv came out great, but as soon as I pulled out of their lot, my check engine light went off. Im thinking they messed up my sensors because my father told me that German cars usually have antitheft systems that might mess up the sensors. (and keep in mind that the stock was a premium monsoon) so the next day I took the car back. They reset the battery and kept telling me that the obd cant link to my car. (it actually didn't, I saw it myself). Afterwards they kept telling me that the preowner probably reset it and it probably came on again. (Which is a total lie cuz I took the car to a mechanic to get an oil change and everything checked out.) So now the check engine light is off, but it might come on again any time now. Can someone please help me in what I should do, or what the problem is or probably is. I just turned 18 and worked my butt off to purchase this car for college and put my last cents into the head unit, which was obviously a huge mistake. and i also came back from a 10 mile drive like an hour ago and my engine is still burning hot. is that normal?
whoa.. I live VERY close to oceanside, and I think I might know what car you bought..

Is the car grey/silver? with black tints.. what is the previous owners first name?
nerd.gif

Well you bought a Passat with 83,000 miles. That was your first mistake.

First car? Stick to Toyota, Honda, Nissan. Saves you from headaches just like this one you are having.

That engine is infamous for having issues.....if you had purchased the non-turbo V6 you'd beok.....but I dunno....how much did you pay? Did you do a car fax before you purchased it? I suggest you go back to the seller and see what is up. Your headunit should have nothing to do with your engine over heating/check engine light coming on.

Was the unit sold AS-IS?

Originally Posted by nsbhouston09

Originally Posted by Ripfan8I6

cliff notes?

For real? If you ain't gonna bother reading, why bother posting? Keep it movin'

OP- I have no idea man, I say you should take it to a trusted mechanic to run some tests on it. It won't cost as much as an official dealership doing it, and he probably won't charge you much just for checking it out.

LOL, see why nobody posted in this thread?

cliffnotes please.

The check engine light is usually just some sensor. The VW's around that time had a recall on the 02 sensors. That's probably the issue.

If you reset the check engine light by disconnecting your battery, the light won't return for about 100 miles. (anybody that knows about cars, knows to dothis) So if you have a check engine light, you could reset the light the day before an inspection.

How's the car running? The car is probably fine and its just some stupid sensor acting up that has no effect on how the car runs.

Back
Top Bottom