Better career if never injured: TMac, Penny or Grant Hill

Tmac could not get out of the 1st round until last year with the spurs(and that don't even count), Grant Hill very similar story, could not win in the post season.  At least with Penny, he made the eastern conference finals with the magic. (granted he had shaq, he was not in his "prime" yet.)

based on post season success i would have to say that penny would have had a better career 

If any of these players are the most overrated on NT, it's T-Mac.

I think ALL of them have been overated on here a bit but NONE more so then Grant Hill. What has Grant Hill EVER done that was "memorable" ? I don't rememeber ANY single games or series where he was a "beast" or anything. He was a good player, no doubt and could fill the stat sheet but i dont remember him ever hitting game winners, taking over series, etc.

Tmac could not get out of the 1st round until last year with the spurs(and that don't even count), Grant Hill very similar story, could not win in the post season.  At least with Penny, he made the eastern conference finals with the magic. (granted he had shaq, he was not in his "prime" yet.)

based on post season success i would have to say that penny would have had a better career 

Not only that...Penny led the Suns out of the first round vs the Spurs. Yeah, the Spurs didn't have Duncan but Penny didn't have ALL NBA First team PG Jason Kidd either.

I'm old enough to watch all 3. I'd have to say

Grant Hill =/= Tracy McGrady
Then
Penny

Penny was sweet tho.

Grant Hill FOSHO.

The man was Mr. Triple Double.

Also, if you're considering playoff performances you should consider their teammates during those games.

Like I asked at first, what has Grant Hill EVER done?

This reeks of ignorance.

He was one of the most well rounded players to ever pick up a basketball.

0 holes in his game.

Gotta agree with this, and TMac is my favorite player ever (along with Bron)

Grant Hill did EVERYTHING. Great scorer, rebounder, passer (some of the passes he made are just :x), and defender. And he did all of that at an elite level too. He was basically LeBron before LeBron.

Last edited:
Grant Hill...We were really robbed by not seeing a healthy T-Mac and Grant together though. Would have ruled the East for a good couple years.

It's not about his "moments" but more so his natural abillity.

They all had natural ability. You guys seem to be more stat watchers when mentioning grant. He wasn't a better shooter than penny or mac. Hell grant didn't even have a three point shot until later in his career.

Better scorer? Nope. More clutch? Nope. Better passer? Not better than penny. Probably about equal to mac in that category.

Grant was a better rebounder and maybe defender.

Also, I think y'all seem to overlook the head to heads penny had vs the legendary bulls squads.

damn, HiIll and Tmac were pretty good. I caught Penny when he was with the suns and knicks so I didn't really watch him when he was with the magic.

I go Hill.

You mean made the NBA Finals.....?

Only thing that skews my thought on that OKB is that Hill was putting up good numbers relative to his age only just a few years ago. He very well could have been statiscally at his peak during his early 30's had he never been injuried.

Anyway...This discussion is 'bout over. Time for McGrady lovefest.

yeah but not many players peek past 28 which is when he first got hurt, we realistically only missed 1 prime year.

and grant wasn't really a shooter, so its not like his game would age exceptionally well.

I grew up watching Penny & Grant Hill and also followed McGrady, but if I had to choose 1 player out of those 3, in their prime, for one game...it would be Grant Hill...dude was Lebron before Lebron...wasn't as big as Bron, but he filled up the stat sheets the same way....points, assists, rebs...could go off for a triple-double on any given night...

I'm a little old school with it and vividly remember each being drafted, and actually remember the moments of being mad when my squad traded Chris Webber on draft night for Penny and feeling stupid the first time seeing him ball. Lol. Having watched each extensively, and live at their heights, I would go in this order:

Penny
Hill
TMac

All excellent passers (Penny was best) and scorers. Penny and Hill were better defensively. TMac lacked leadership and heart/passion. We saw prime TMac at his full potential. Penny and Hill never got their ceilings, which speaks measures of the their greatness, as they're being mentioned here. TMac was phenomenal, but Penny and Hill were just awesome to experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom