Best bank for a newbie?

I'm about to open a banking account but I was wondering whats a good bank to start with?

Citizens? Sovereign?

I'm mainly going to use it for the debit and need some schooling on overdraft fees, etc.

Is there a certain amount I would have to put in when I sign up for a checkings account? Also would I need to keep a certain amount inside my account at alltimes?

I work for Citibank. Heres some notes on our accounts:

1. If you are a college student, you can qualify for a free checking acct.
2. Your basic checking acct will cost you $9.50 a month, UNLESS you do one of the following: direct deposit, 2 online bill payments a month or a combinedbalance b/w a chk acct and sav acct.
3. Citi charges $34 when you go overdrawn. That's per item. Citi maxes out at 4 overdrafts per day.

I'm with Citizens, they're cool. First time I overdrafted they refunded me the $32 fee, you get one free mess up (company courtesy)
But I advise you to never overdraft, I've overdrafted twice, one was a mistake but the other was because the place where I used my debit took a month tocharge my card and when they charged it I had already spent the money (thinking they forgot lol)
So always know how much money you have in your account and all your transactions that you do make to avoid overdrafting. That $32 charge is a B, especially ifyou didn't even spend that much, could turn a $20 transaction to much more and it just adds up every day that you don't pay it off.

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

I work for Citibank. Heres some notes on our accounts:

1. If you are a college student, you can qualify for a free checking acct.
2. Your basic checking acct will cost you $9.50 a month, UNLESS you do one of the following: direct deposit, 2 online bill payments a month or a combined balance b/w a chk acct and sav acct.
3. Citi charges $34 when you go overdrawn. That's per item. Citi maxes out at 4 overdrafts per day.
sick.gif

well i'm no banking expert, but I have chase, its free checking. plus if you sign up now and deposit 25$ you get 100$ for free

have wellsfargo and haven't had a problem with em.

-free checking since i'm a college student. one of the tellers tried to hook me up with it when i was in HS but they caught it.
-if you're not a college student, you can get free checking thru direct deposit but don't know how much it is without it.
-overdraft fee is $25. overdrafts happen when you have pending transactions and you use your card with more than what you have in it.
-you don't need to have money in it at all times, i think i've had $0 for a couple of months and nothing happened.

Originally Posted by airkeung88

Originally Posted by Much Respected

Just don't go with Bank of America!
They'll send you an automatic new credit card without your consent
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
mad.gif

they arent so bad if you dont overdraft(ima go check my account and see if theyre tryin to play me again)

Back
Top Bottom