Ben Roethlisberger accused of sexual assault by another woman

I don't think Ben is going anywhere.

The fans here are overracting, as usual. It'll be a while, but let Ben win a few more close games, a la last year versus Green Bay, and it'll be love again...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by JinKazama

A small business maybe...most businesses the size of the NFL have HR Departments and an appeals process for any type of disciplinary action taken against an employee...even if the CEO hands it out.  Goodell has none of that in place
Most businesses the size of the NFL don't deal with worker's unions, either...
Yup, I work for one of the biggest companies in sports and they can fire me tomorrow and there is nothing I can do about it.

What's the general consensus of Steelers fans in Pittsburgh?

I know most of them want Ben suspended but why are they mad at the organization?

Originally Posted by Deuce King

DubA169 wrote:

i didn't realize that the moral compass of roger goodell was more important than the penal system. excuse us for questioning his infinite wisdom. seriously people don't see the problem with this?

These are the main points that people are overlooking unfortunately.

At the end of the day, playing in the NFL is a job. I promise you if you had case after case of sexual assault clouding your name, your job would fire you too.

Originally Posted by iLL I AM

I know most of them want Ben suspended but why are they mad at the organization?

ESPN (i think it was) did a poll and 60% of the fans they polled want him out of the city. Most people here are mad at the organization for allowing Ben to "tarnish" they're good image and not doing something sooner about it. Most people are just pissed at Ben though.

REPORT: Raiders Considering A Roethlisberger Trade

According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, the Raiders are in contact with the Steelers about a trade for Ben Roethlisberger.

La Canfora says Oakland "might be (the) only real option" for Pittsburgh if the Steelers are truly prepared to wash their hands of the 28-year-old QB. The Raiders, smartly (for once), appear to have realized that JaMarcus Russell is a bust, and very arguably the biggest in NFL history. The Steelers might ask for Nnamdi Asomugha in addition to Oakland's No. 8 overall pick.

Originally Posted by Fade On You

ESPN (i think it was) did a poll and 60% of the fans they polled want him out of the city. Most people here are mad at the organization for allowing Ben to "tarnish" they're good image and not doing something sooner about it. Most people are just pissed at Ben though.

REPORT: Raiders Considering A Roethlisberger Trade

According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, the Raiders are in contact with the Steelers about a trade for Ben Roethlisberger.

La Canfora says Oakland "might be (the) only real option" for Pittsburgh if the Steelers are truly prepared to wash their hands of the 28-year-old QB. The Raiders, smartly (for once), appear to have realized that JaMarcus Russell is a bust, and very arguably the biggest in NFL history. The Steelers might ask for Nnamdi Asomugha in addition to Oakland's No. 8 overall pick.

and NNamdi????? Whoa.....

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

A small business maybe...most businesses the size of the NFL have HR Departments and an appeals process for any type of disciplinary action taken against an employee...even if the CEO hands it out.  Goodell has none of that in place
Most businesses the size of the NFL don't deal with worker's unions, either... Goodell has none of what in place? The Players Union is more than welcome to file grievances and appeals if they see fit, and they've done so with conduct suspensions in the past...

Even in a unionized environment businesses have policies and procedures surrounding almost every facet of operations...including discipline.  In most if not all cases those policies were approved by the union and the company and they include a PROCESS on how disciplinary actions are handled. 

The NFL has no such thing regarding discipline.  Judge/lawyer/CO/and Executioner Roger Goodell does whatever the ___ he wants to do.  Goodell is operating like its the wild west, no rule book, no law when it comes to disclipline.  Its all about who has the biggest gun and the fastest draw..him and the owners, or the players.  Right now Rog and the owners workin with a bazooka 

Yup, I work for one of the biggest companies in sports and they can fire me tomorrow and there is nothing I can do about it. 

different issue I believe, that is more a matter of state law, some states are right to work states (yours) while other states won't allow you to be fired without just cause... sombody correct me if I am wrong I haven't had to pull out my HR Management book in awhile. 

Even in a unionized environment businesses have policies and procedures surrounding almost every facet of operations...including discipline.  In most if not all cases those policies were approved by the union and the company and they include a PROCESS on how disciplinary actions are handled. 

The NFL has no such thing regarding discipline.  Judge/lawyer/CO/and Executioner Roger Goodell does whatever the ___ he wants to do.  Goodell is operating like its the wild west, no rule book, no law when it comes to disclipline.  Its all about who has the biggest gun and the fastest draw..him and the owners, or the players.  Right now Rog and the owners workin with a bazooka 
This is just not true.

There's no process for suspensions in the NFL? Goodell just hears about these potential problems and immediately brings the hammer down without considering everything involved? He doesn't do his own research and investigations? Goodell couldn't have just put this conduct policy in place. It had to be approved by owners and the union.

Guess what... This happens every where. It's not specific to the NFL. Companies will choose not to hire potential employees if they've got pictures of themselves drinking or their drunk friends on Facebook. Did they break the law? No, they didn't. But that company can choose to essentially punish those potential employees for actions they deem unfit of candidates... If I'm out drunk assaulting women and it gets back to my boss, you bet your %%$ my company is going to frown upon that and there will be consequences... This happens EVERYWHERE.

They way I understood it was that the only reason why it was Goodell that handed down the supsension and not the Steelers was because the NFLPA would be able to appeal the Steelers, but they cannot do so with Goodell.

There's no process for suspensions in the NFL? Goodell just hears about these potential problems and immediately brings the hammer down without considering everything involved? He doesn't do his own research and investigations? Goodell couldn't have just put this conduct policy in place. It had to be approved by owners and the union.

Here is the problem nowitness..all of the NFL discipline begins and ends with Goodell.  The investigation is done by Goodell, Goodell chooses the punishment...unless Roger is some super human not prone to bias the entire system is ripe for misuse.  What's the appeal process...take it up with the Union?  Who can file a grievance...which by reading Goodell's letter gets you even MORE punishment!  You don't see the problem here? 

His power is akin to a cop pulling you over for speeding saying...hey you were speeding so I'm taking your license for the next six months, call a friend to get home, have a nice day.  You go to court and the same cop that pulled you over is the judge...no jury...You never got a trial amongst a jury of your peers, you and your lawyer (players union) never got to explain why you were speeding to anyone but the cop who uses his own best judgement to decide your punishment...approved by the owners and the union or not this man has too much power to discipline these guys.

Here is the problem nowitness..all of the NFL discipline begins and ends with Goodell.  The investigation is done by Goodell, Goodell chooses the punishment...unless Roger is some super human not prone to bias the entire system is ripe for misuse.  What's the appeal process...take it up with the Union?  Who can file a grievance...which by reading Goodell's letter gets you even MORE punishment!  You don't see the problem here? 

His power is akin to a cop pulling you over for speeding saying...hey you were speeding so I'm taking your license for the next six months, call a friend to get home, have a nice day.  You go to court and the same cop that pulled you over is the judge...no jury...You never got a trial amongst a jury of your peers, you and your lawyer (players union) never got to explain why you were speeding to anyone but the cop who uses his own best judgement to decide your punishment...approved by the owners and the union or not this man has too much power to discipline these guys.
You're ignoring what Nowitness said in his last sentence...

It had to be approved by owners and the union.

Goodell can't do $%%* without the backing of the Players Union.  They play such a huge role in every disciplinary action set forth by the NFL.  As a matter of fact, the PU got on Goodell's $%# when he levied a year long suspension to Pacman.  If the PU sees necessary, they'll fight on each one of their members behalf.  It speaks volumes that Ben chose not to have a NFLPA rep at his hearing, and also that the NFLPA has been silent through this whole ordeal.  Again, to put this all on Goodell like he's making rash decisions is unfair. 

approved by the owners and the union or not this man has too much power to discipline these guys.

obviously Goodell can't win in your eyes.

This system wouldn't be in place if the owners and the players themselves hadn't approved it. That's why I'm not concerned about the power he has... They essentially gave it to him.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian says the team will not discipline defensive tackle Eric Foster, who faces a sexual assault lawsuit.
A 22-year-old hotel receptionist is suing Foster, claiming that he sexually assaulted her in his room at an Indianapolis hotel before the AFC Championship Game on Jan. 24.

Polian said Wednesday that the team has no reason to discipline Foster because police investigated the incident and prosecutors later decided not to file charges.

He says Foster remains with the team and will participate in its offseason program.

The Associated Press is not naming the woman because it generally does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault.

Hmm...

Is Roger gonna look into this? Or is Foster not a big enough name to tarnish the NFL's image?

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian says the team will not discipline defensive tackle Eric Foster, who faces a sexual assault lawsuit.
A 22-year-old hotel receptionist is suing Foster, claiming that he sexually assaulted her in his room at an Indianapolis hotel before the AFC Championship Game on Jan. 24.

Polian said Wednesday that the team has no reason to discipline Foster because police investigated the incident and prosecutors later decided not to file charges.

He says Foster remains with the team and will participate in its offseason program.

The Associated Press is not naming the woman because it generally does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault.

Hmm...

Is Roger gonna look into this? Or is Foster not a big enough name to tarnish the NFL's image?

Didn't know this was Foster's second accusation
grin.gif
....cause Goodell didn't do anything after the Lake Tahoe ordeal in Ben's case. 

I'm not grasping at straws...this is the type of situation I was curious about regarding how it'd be handled from here on out.

I got my answer though...
Greg Aiello, NFL spokesman, said Tuesday: "We are aware of it but have no comment."
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, appearing on ESPN's Mike and Mike in the Morning radio show, added: "We'll look at the facts."

Here are "the facts"...
Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said in February he would not pursue criminal charges against Foster, but attorney April Board told the newspaper that the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis Police Department mishandled the case and forced her client to seek justice in civil court.
''It's so far afield from the standard operating procedure of any police department -- I don't care if it's the tiniest town in Indiana or New York City,'' Board said. ''It's unbelievable.''

The woman was an employee of University Place Hotel on the college campus at the time of the alleged incident. The Colts customarily stay there the night before home games.

The Colts declined comment, and Foster's agent, Joby Branion, did not respond to an interview request from the newspaper. An IUPUI dispatcher said a spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

The complaint says the woman was asked by a hotel manager to deliver a dental kit to the player's room at approximately 8:20 a.m., at which time Foster asked her to look at his bathroom sink, which he said wasn't working.

''She went in,'' Board said, ''and he slammed the door, and then proceeded to forcibly engage in deviant sexual acts.''

The woman escaped from the room and reported the incident to a hotel security official, Board said.

Board said a hotel employee told her client that day that the incident report had been accidentally deleted from the computer system, but a security official did contact a Colts security staffer.

The woman reported the incident to Indianapolis Police, who redirected her to IUPUI Police. The college police took an initial report but did not ask to keep her hotel uniform to examine it for possible evidence. They also asked her to take a lie detector test, Board said, although Indiana law says sexual assault victims do not have to submit to one.

''They didn't take the uniform. They don't talk to Eric Foster. They don't look at surveillance film. They don't cordon off the room and look for evidence, either,'' Board told the paper. ''These cases are hard enough to prosecute when you do everything right.

''Even the tiniest little town in the middle of nowhere knows the basics of when a sexual assault is reported.''

An IUPUI police report said police had two pictures showing possible injuries to the clerk.

DJ's or anyone who wants to answer...if Goodell reviews these "facts" and hands down some sort of punishment, would you have an issue with it since it took Ben a few incidents to receive his punishment? Like the club incident with Ben, it seems like law enforcement $%#$+! up on this one too...is Goodell supposed to conduct an investigation in EVERY type of case like this or does he wait until the player racks 'em up and makes the league look bad before dropping the hammer?

Serious questions.

This Yuku $$$# has gone to another level, it took 15 $@$#%#$ minutes for my reply to go through.

I went to college at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.. one time I was at a bar 3 or 4 yrs ago (peter's pub, right on U-Pitt's campus) with a couple friends and some chicks. Ben rolls through with some of his boys and i think another o-lineman on the team (this was a Wens night during football season, mind you) sits down and chills at a table next to us. Dude downs roughly 8-10 pitchers, then comes up to one of the girls that was with us and says "I just want you to know that I'm just as excited to meet you as you are to meet me". Thought dude was just a tool at the time, but looking back on it now after all of this it's pretty funny.

ESPN (i think it was) did a poll and 60% of the fans they polled wanthim out of the city. Most people here are mad at the organization forallowing Ben to "tarnish" they're good image and not doing somethingsooner about it. Most people are just pissed at Ben though.

I have a hard time believing that's accurate.

But regardless, I'll be more disappointed in the team if they were to trade him away over this.  It took 30 years to find a franchise QB, I'm willing to put up with some crap on the side if he's still capable of putting up solid enough numbers.   He may not have great judgment, but he's not a criminal and there's plenty of time left in dude's career to turn over a new leaf.

Just got word from someone the Steelers are likely to trade Ben to the Seahawks.....more to follow i dont know how legit this lead is.

Back
Top Bottom