Ben Roethlisberger accused of sexual assault by another woman

Ben is a two time SB champion QB. Why he even needs to be so desperate is beyond me...Putting QB's to shame.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Ben is a two time SB champion QB. Why he even needs to be so desperate is beyond me...Putting QB's to shame.

Exactly, if you have any type of cool about yourself and you're in his position, girls should be pulling down your pants for you. Tiger was getting all sorts of broads begging him to bang them and he's married. Ben is a bachelor they should be going even harder after him.

If you're slimy with girls that doesn't change. Fame doesn't change people it often just amplifies how they are

No its not but again .....Playing in the NFL is a privlege not a right,so if Goodell thinks its okay to suspend Big Ben, Pacman etc than thatshis choice.

Its no different as if you're in normal job andthey fire you for getting arrested or doing some other questionablebehavior. This isnt violating his civil rights or something, he playsin the NFL and makes lots of money and should act accordingly.
It isn't a normal job, it is a job with a union though.  This is more like a teacher, when they are accused of something, they aren't fired immediatly for a reason, the union protects them.  Same in this case, Goodell has never suspended a player that didn't have any arrests or charges against them.  The union would fight any suspension (regardless if warranted) because they don't want the commish to have that power.  That is why it will come from the team.

95003621.jpg

#justsayin...

Two Years Ago:
Ben: So, dude, dude! I had her all wasted, on the counter in the bathroom. I just whipped it out and boom!
Tiger: You do that too?
Ben: Yeah, works every time.
Tiger: Hole in one with that *$@+! *Fist pump* Damn, if Elin ever found out though!
Ben: Yeah, like that'll happen!
Tiger: I know, right!
*Simultaneous laughter*
Tiger: Hey, Ben! I'd like you to meet Michael Jordan.

Referring to this guy as a "sexual predator" is being way too easy on him

First time, ok, there's room for suspicion about the validity of allegations. That's kind of normal given the benefit of the doubt that most athletes and celebrities tend to get. When something similar arises again, you start to wonder about your doubt over the initial allegation and start seeing things in a different manner.  Add to that the many other stories about a person's character and behaviour that lies outside the legal circle and it should become more apparent that this is not a good person at the very least.

According to the way the league has operated under Goodell, Goodell has no precedent to suspend this guy, but the team itself has every right to do what they feel is proper, especially considering Roethlisberger's history of screw ups off the field. As much as it could hurt them in the short run, the smart thing for the Steelers to do would be to get rid of him and acquire a new quarterback. Keeping this guy on the team would tarnish the Steelers' reputation, which is probably one of the most respected in the league.

dmxfury wrote:
No its not but again .....Playing in the NFL is a privlege not a right, so if Goodell thinks its okay to suspend Big Ben, Pacman etc than thats his choice.

Its no different as if you're in normal job and they fire you for getting arrested or doing some other questionable behavior. This isnt violating his civil rights or something, he plays in the NFL and makes lots of money and should act accordingly.
It isn't a normal job, it is a job with a union though.  This is more like a teacher, when they are accused of something, they aren't fired immediatly for a reason, the union protects them.  Same in this case, Goodell has never suspended a player that didn't have any arrests or charges against them.  The union would fight any suspension (regardless if warranted) because they don't want the commish to have that power.  That is why it will come from the team.

Its already been said if Goodel suspends him the union can't do anything about it. If the Steelers suspend him, the suspension will most likely be appealed.

Put it this way has any Comissioner Goodel suspension been overturned?

Its already been said if Goodel suspends him the union can't doanything about it. If the Steelers suspend him, the suspension willmost likely be appealed.

I've heard the opposite, otherwise why wouldn't he have done it already?  The "case" is over, he met with Ben, there is a reason he is working with the team and letting them do it.

Goodell has had suspension terms changed, not completely overturned but amended.  Brandon Marshall had his reduced by 2 games, Jared Allen, etc.  I'm not saying this is all due to the NFLPA, but he has had his suspensions amended.  Again, it seems like a typical union response and job.  If there is no precedent, then they have a leg to stand on and can fight it.  Why wouldn't they be able to anything about it when they have fought other suspensions?

You are right the NFLPA can also go against the team, I do realize that as well. Anyway, I think this should come from a combined effort but ultimately the team. Oh, and I think the Steelers are starting to look harder and harder at replacing him

dmxfury wrote:
Its already been said if Goodel suspends him the union can't do anything about it. If the Steelers suspend him, the suspension will most likely be appealed.

I've heard the opposite, otherwise why wouldn't he have done it already?  The "case" is over, he met with Ben, there is a reason he is working with the team and letting them do it.

Goodell has had suspension terms changed, not completely overturned but amended.  Brandon Marshall had his reduced by 2 games, Jared Allen, etc.  I'm not saying this is all due to the NFLPA, but he has had his suspensions amended.  Again, it seems like a typical union response and job.  If there is no precedent, then they have a leg to stand on and can fight it.  Why wouldn't they be able to anything about it when they have fought other suspensions?

Adam Schefter said specifically that if the Goodel suspends somebody he's Judge and Jury but if the team suspends a player the appeal goes to a Special Master( arbitrator)

Goodel reduced Allen and Marshall's suspension because of good behavior.

Jared Allen
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2937915

Brandon Marshall
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.marshall.suspension.2.805638.html

If the NFLPA had any power ,  Don't you don't think they would've been able to get  the Pacman suspension reduced?

Hm, what I heard wasn't Schefter, I'll have to see. It still would be a new precedent for off field incidents without a charge or arrest. But maybe the NFLPA is ok with that.

Sadly this is going to take YEARS for him to get over if he does stay in Pitt. Stupid decisions.

Big Ben to get a 4-6 game suspension.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be suspended for four to six games on Wednesday for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, according to multiple sources.
When the suspension is announced, it will contain conditions that will allow it to be reduced based on Roethlisberger's behavior and compliance with clinical evaluators.

Commissioner Roger Goodell's verdict will reinforce a message that NFL employees will be held to a higher standard than the law.

Steelers employees were bracing Tuesday night for what they suspected would be an eight-game suspension, but two sources said it would not be eight games.

Roger Goodell is walking down a slippery slope IMO...

Originally Posted by iLL I AM

Whats so slippery about?

Dudes act like you have to break a law to get fired or suspended from work at that isn't the case at all. You have "right to work" states like here in Texas where the employer can fire you whenever and doesnt even have to have a reason. Ben should be grateful that it wasn't longer.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be suspended for four to six games on Wednesday for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, according to multiple sources.
When the suspension is announced, it will contain conditions that will allow it to be reduced based on Roethlisberger's behavior and compliance with clinical evaluators.

Commissioner Roger Goodell's verdict will reinforce a message that NFL employees will be held to a higher standard than the law.

Steelers employees were bracing Tuesday night for what they suspected would be an eight-game suspension, but two sources said it would not be eight games.

How is it a slippery slope if Ben didn't even invite the NFLPA to be at his hearing?  Goodell was on Mike & Mike yesterday and made a lot of good points about players being held to a high standard when representing the league. 

anyways....for you conspiracy theorists out there...this was on twitter last night (before 4-6 game ban was even brought up)...the Steelers have 5 Nat'l TV games....but none are in their first 6.  Hmmmm
nerd.gif

iLL I AM wrote:

Good. How is Goodell walking down a slippery slope? Its a PRIVILEGE to play for the NFL. He has the right to take that away based on how someone acts. You don't have to break any laws in order to act out and drag the NFLs name through the mud, and if you do so...he has EVERY right to discipline them.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Whats so slippery about?

Dudes act like you have to break a law to get fired or suspended from work at that isn't the case at all. You have "right to work" states like here in Texas where the employer can fire you whenever and doesnt even have to have a reason. Ben should be grateful that it wasn't longer.

You're right, he's absolutely within his rights as commish to protect the image of the league.  But the fact does remain - Ben is officially guilty of nothing except looking bad in the press. That's a pretty harsh suspension for somebody that hasn't even been charged, let alone proven guilty of any wrong-doing.  It sets one hell of a standard you now have to uphold anytime any other player's name comes up in the news.  Before you had the idea that if you were charged with a crime, you were held accountable.  Now you have to make sure you aren't even a suspect?  What's next, you get a fine for appearing in a photograph at a non-league approved event? 

I agree that Ben has tarnished the image of the NFL by appearing in all this non-sense and putting himself in terrible situations - but you have to be very careful when you start drawing these lines based on just image alone... that %!## is purely opinion based.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Whats so slippery about?

You're right, he's absolutely within his rights as commish to protect the image of the league.  But the fact does remain - Ben is officially guilty of nothing except looking bad in the press. That's a pretty harsh suspension for somebody that hasn't even been charged, let alone proven guilty of any wrong-doing.  It sets one hell of a standard you now have to uphold anytime any other player's name comes up in the news.  Before you had the idea that if you were charged with a crime, you were held accountable.  Now you have to make sure you aren't even a suspect?  What's next, you get a fine for appearing in a photograph at a non-league approved event? 

I agree that Ben has tarnished the image of the NFL by appearing in all this non-sense and putting himself in terrible situations - but you have to be very careful when you start drawing these lines based on just image alone... that %!## is purely opinion based.

If Ben wasn't in agreement with what he and Goodell talked about he would have had the NFLPA at his side during the hearing.  If the suspension is deemed "unfair" by any stretch of the imagination, the PU will be fighting on Ben's behalf.  From that standpoint, I'll be curious to see if anything is done on their end in the hours/days following the official ruling.  But going back to what I originally said....if Ben didn't even have a rep from the PU with him, that means a lot. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Whats so slippery about?

If Ben wasn't in agreement with what he and Goodell talked about he would have had the NFLPA at his side during the hearing.  If the suspension is deemed "unfair" by any stretch of the imagination, the PU will be fighting on Ben's behalf.  From that standpoint, I'll be curious to see if anything is done on their end in the hours/days following the official ruling.  But going back to what I originally said....if Ben didn't even have a rep from the PU with him, that means a lot. 

That's true - I'm wondering who advised him on that move.  Be interesting to see what the union has to say about this.  I think when you compare it to other suspensions, it seems a bit out of whack.  I thought 2-4 was more the range we were looking at, sounds like the Steelers were thinking 6-8.  So I guess they feel like they got off a little easy.  Who knows.. the idea of a suspension in general just seems a bit ludicrous to me, I think you had it nice and easy when you only suspend for charges.. now you've opened up a can of worms I think.

Back
Top Bottom