BCS System APPRECIATION Thread

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

its not a regular season killing method at all with a playoff.

Take the top 8 teams from the BCS rankings after the final week and let them play a few more games.

How does that not kill the regular season? Take the current top 8? Ok, that means you can have up to 2 losses and still be in contention for a playoff/NC. Imagine going into the season knowing you have a 2 loss cushion and still have a shot at playing for the NC. That is completely less cutthroat than goinginto the season thinking that there might be two undefeated teams left standing at the end of the season and therefore your team can't afford to lose 1game. If you can't see why the first mentality would water down the regular season than I don't know what to say...

Originally Posted by lawdog1

The BCS system rewards the team that has the best season, not necessarily the best team.

That's the way it should be. The team that shows excellence throughout the season should be rewarded, not the one that catches fire at the right timeor happens to have the least injuries. It's an absolute joke to me that a team like the Rockies can go on a monster run at the right time and make it tothe World Series, only to fizzle out and get swept. Was that really the two best teams in baseball playing? What was the point of 85% of the regular season?

my biggest complaint is now we're stuck watching a*$*@#!%+* national championship game.

BCS - Joke yet again. And thats simply because we never know who truly is worthy. We have to figure it out on paper.

A playoff system is used for every other sport on every level, and their regular seasons are still exciting. Personally I would take a legit national championscenario over an exciting regular season and two "well maybe they deserve it but maybe not" title game participants we always seem to have almosteveryyear.

You guys honestly think you could pick the best 8 teams in the country without excluding anybody more easily than the top 2?
I understand that, but...

When you do that, you are getting 8 out of the 10 top teams...where as now we might be putting a team in the title game that is in reality the 5th or 6th bestteam.

you guys supporting the playoff system dont see how it wouldn't fix anything

you say "just pick the top 8 teams" like it'd be easy. guess what, every season there are multiple 2-loss teams that all areclose to identical and it is hard to put one above the other. so how would it be easier to decide which 2-loss team makes that top 8 out of the annual pool of2-loss teams?

Just imagine a ncaa tourny like basketball..a football final four
eek.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

BCS - Joke yet again. And thats simply because we never know who truly is worthy. We have to figure it out on paper.

A playoff system is used for every other sport on every level, and their regular seasons are still exciting. Personally I would take a legit national champion scenario over an exciting regular season and two "well maybe they deserve it but maybe not" title game participants we always seem to have almost everyyear.

The playoff based sports regular season comes nowhere close to the hype/excitement generated in the CFB regular season - it's not even close! Evenplayoff/championship games in those systems don't come close to some CFB regular season games (i.e. Ohio State vs. Michigan '06, USC vs. Notre Dame in'05, Ohio State vs. Texas '05, Rutgers vs. Louisville '06, etc.). A playoff doesn't determine who's truly worthy, it determines who isplaying best at the time.

A playoff doesn't determine who's truly worthy, it determines who is playing best at the time.

who's playing best when it really counts? that seems like a worthy champion to me.

The playoff based sports regular season comes nowhere close to the hype/excitement generated in the CFB regular season - it's not even close! Even playoff/championship games in those systems don't come close to some CFB regular season games (i.e. Ohio State vs. Michigan '06, USC vs. Notre Dame in '05, Ohio State vs. Texas '05, Rutgers vs. Louisville '06, etc.). A playoff doesn't determine who's truly worthy, it determines who is playing best at the time.

You act like the regular season would completely lose these types of games if we had a playoff.

You can get on your soapbox and keep blaring "the regular season is so good!!!" all you want, that's your right. But the fact of the matter isthat the BCS continues to be like swiss cheese, and that's not really fair. And it's sad that we are in, what, year 10 of this?

I am not going to sit here and try to claim what the most "perfect" scenario is, a 4 team playoff, an 8 team, a plus-1, etc. No one knows because,well, we've only been given two scenarios in our lifetimes to judge...the old bowl system, with "voting" at the end to determine who should be #1(lame).....or the current BCS system.

Back to the BCS.....How LEGIT is your regular season when computers and voters choose who should be the final two? How legit is your regular season when inthis day and age of partity it still has seemingly half the division 1 teams basically being told before the season starts, "You can go 12-0 and you stillwont get a chance at the national title." How legit is your regular season when all BCS supporters want to say is "it makes the regular seasonimportant and you cant screw up," yet we are looking at an LSU team that lost on its home field in its last regular season game to an UNRANKED team, andwe are looking at an OSU team that lost their 2nd-to-last game, at home, to an UNRANKED team. Gee, that's a fun process. Every other sport in the NCAA hasa playoff system, but for some reason D1 football has to have its own way. Is the sport that special? Again, you can have a supposedly exciting regular seasonall you want....I'll take a system that is more fair in the end and allows teams to determine things on the field.

- Ohio State is in by default, they are a "name" school that ended up with only one loss. No shame there. But they did not beat one team this seasonthat was ranked in the top 20 at the time they played. Something to think about: If their helmets said "Hawaii" would they be in the discussion?

- LSU lost twice, and also lost their last regular season game at home. But they are in the N.C.

- Oklahoma also lost twice, but just beat the #1 team in the country for the second time this year. They're out.

- Missouri went from being ranked #1 in the BCS last week to completely dropping out of the BCS after their loss.

- These so called "computers" that make up the final 1/3 of the BCS voting finished up with Missouri ranked 2 spots ahead of Oklahoma. A team thatbeat Missouri twice this season.

Are any of the above statements bad? Good? Who knows. But the bottom line is that this current system it is not vaild IMO because there are so few solidanswers. You might find this craziness good for the game. I certainly don't. I find it comical. Especially because this is not the 1st year of this.

But then again we are talking about a sport where for the second year in a row Ohio State will sit for almost two full months before they play their bowl game.

Back
Top Bottom