BCS System APPRECIATION Thread

I don't care what anyone says, what playoff based sport provides this type of excitement and drama throughout the season? No team is safe even in the lastweek. Is the system flawed? Yes, but I'll take the existing system over a regular season killing playoff system any day.

This particular season was like Haley's Comet, I doubt we will see anything like it again in our lifetime. I am in favor for a playoff system though. Howin the hell is OSU going play for the NC?
smh.gif

^The season has made it exciting though, not the BCS. W/ all the excitement we see now, imagine if it were a playoff, one-and-done situation. You can't getany better than that imo.

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

^The season has made it exciting though, not the BCS. W/ all the excitement we see now, imagine if it were a playoff, one-and-done situation. You can't get any better than that imo.

It's the BCS (or non-playoff system) that has made it exciting. If we had a playoff, tonight's games would have meant little. Mizzou (maybe not)and WVU would still be going to the playoffs even after tonight's losses and their fans wouldn't be on suicide watch. The biggest upsets of the season(i.e. USC/Stanford, LSU/Arkansas, etc.) would mean a lot less since those teams are playoff bound anyways.
A playoff system waters down the regular season by virtue of devaluing losses. Would this season still have been exciting? Yeah, I'm sure itwould have, but it would NOT have been as ridiculous as it is now.

^Right on the $. There wouldn't be as many implications on every single Saturday had it not been for the BCS. Every game in the season is a do or die game,and it's the reason why college football is more exciting than the NFL.

If only my Ducks had been able to hold on
frown.gif
Las Vegas bowl ftw!

OH WELL, I hope USC puts a Pac-10 asswhooping on whoever they need to.

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

. How in the hell is OSU going play for the NC?
smh.gif

Only losing one game this season. Who else deserves to be number 1?

I know Ohio State didnt play any power houses except Michigan(?? well maybe) but how many power houses lost this season against teams they should have beat

If only my Ducks had been able to hold on
frown.gif
Las Vegas bowl ftw!

You have to look at the glass half full. As an Oregon Duck fan at least you get to party your%+!* off and drown your sorrows in Las Vegas.

DOWNTOWN43 wrote:
fans of other Pac-10 teams can't claim USC, they are not in the same class
laugh.gif

Fans of teams that beat USC this season can
happy.gif

<yes it was against 2nd team guys but I dont care>

Originally Posted by aerdel24

smh.gif

I know Ohio State didnt play any power houses except Michigan(?? well maybe) but how many power houses lost this season against teams they should have beat

I don't consider Michigan a powerhouse at all, but I see what you are saying. A playoff system would in fact benefit if you still based it off of theBCS rankings.

Originally Posted by aerdel24

smh.gif

I don't consider Michigan a powerhouse at all, but I see what you are saying. A playoff system would in fact benefit if you still based it off of the BCS rankings.

Yea i know, i mean. this has been a really crazy season, and it seems like everybody deserves to play. But then again, every year some teams get left out.look at Auburn a few years back..

College football knows this...

A playoff system may be the answer, but the model they're using isn't completely broken when you consider:

a) no other sports regular season is more relevant and exciting week in, week out

b) no other sport draws the same kind of debate and discussion from people all over the country

c) even a playoff system would have a cut off at a certain point, and people there to piss and moan about their teams not getting in (ie, the same problem wehave now with the BCS)

d) it's a lot better than the system they had in place BEFORE it... and they're tweaking it constantly, trying to improve it.

I respect anyone who thinks differently, but in my opinion this season is exactly why a playoff is needed. There's probably at least 10 teams this seasonthat can make an argument they are the best team. I don't know how anyone can really accept that whoever is eventually crowned the "nationalchampion" for this season is actually the best college football team.

I guess I kind of agree what Pete Carrol said recently. The BCS system rewards the team that has the best season, not necessarily the best team.

its not a regular season killing method at all with a playoff.

Take the top 8 teams from the BCS rankings after the final week and let them play a few more games.

I don't care what anyone says, what playoff based sport provides this type of excitement and drama throughout the season? No team is safe even in the last week. Is the system flawed? Yes, but I'll take the existing system over a regular season killing playoff system any day.

It's the BCS (or non-playoff system) that has made it exciting. If we had a playoff, tonight's games would have meant little. Mizzou (maybe not) and WVU would still be going to the playoffs even after tonight's losses and their fans wouldn't be on suicide watch. The biggest upsets of the season (i.e. USC/Stanford, LSU/Arkansas, etc.) would mean a lot less since those teams are playoff bound anyways.
A playoff system waters down the regular season by virtue of devaluing losses. Would this season still have been exciting? Yeah, I'm sure it would have, but it would NOT have been as ridiculous as it is now.
I couldn't agree more.....this is what makes college football so great.
Of course this is coming from someone whose school doesnt have a claim for a shot at the NC, I know its going to suck for the handfull of schools that dont geta shot, but as a college football fan I couldn't ask for more out of a season.
What a year!!!
pimp.gif

The BCS system rewards the team that has the best season, not necessarily the best team.
isn't that the way it should be? if not, why not just reward the top two teams from the start of the season the right to play in thechampionship?

Why not implement a BCS/playoff system, where you use the BCS system all year to rank teams and have a 16 or 8 team playoff. You can even have a 10 teamplayoff with the top two ranked teams getting a bye. Homefield advantage for the higher ranked team. this will generate a lot of money for each school and giveincentive to get a higher seed to get homefield.

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

^The season has made it exciting though, not the BCS. W/ all the excitement we see now, imagine if it were a playoff, one-and-done situation. You can't get any better than that imo.

You guys honestly think you could pick the best 8 teams in the country without excluding anybody more easily than the top 2?

Originally Posted by Fro B Giant

Why not implement a BCS/playoff system, where you use the BCS system all year to rank teams and have a 16 or 8 team playoff. You can even have a 10 team playoff with the top two ranked teams getting a bye. Homefield advantage for the higher ranked team. this will generate a lot of money for each school and give incentive to get a higher seed to get homefield.

Then the CFB season runs too long.

Using the 8 team system you're talking about would make the post-season run an extra 3 weeks or make the regular season 3 weeks shorter.

I like the BCS. Every week had been so excited. As an Ohio State fan I've never watched two other games and been so into and rooting for teams like I wastonight. I felt like a Pitt and OU fan tonight. I could see maybe a 4 team playoff but I think anything else is too much and would be overkill and the regularseason wouldn't mean as much. I'm a Lions fan and were 6-5 and thinking about the playoffs still. I don't get the excitement in the NFL like I doin college.

Back
Top Bottom