Bachelor Pad.

Does anyone have their TV on the side of their bed? I want to rearrange my bedroom but right now I have the TV at the foot of my bed on the opposite wall, and I want to put my bed there. That's the only place where there's a cable outlet in the room though.

I had my TV there when i was still at moms and i hate having it at the foot of my bed now .

I sleep on my side so it was easier to watch tv while laying down.

Bought my house in October. I will start my remodel soon :smokin .

Just picked this rug up

http://www.cb2.com/all-rugs/rugs/drake-grey-shag-rug/f5397

I have a rug very similar to that but it's from Macy's. Looks good but gets so cold during the winter months.

I have a Marshall Stanmore Bluetooth Speaker arriving tomorrow and am looking for a standalone stand for it. Since it's obviously a streaming player, I don't need any compartments for records, CD's, etc... The best I could find was a record stand from Urban Outfitters, but it's only 2' in height. Looking for something in the $100 range. Here are some photos of the mentioned items above. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Speaker (14x8x7):

Stand from UO:

@sogood Im not exactly sure lol. I want the very modern look
Kind of a mid-century modern look? I love furniture like that as well, but real quality stuff (especially in leather) is going to run you many thousands of dollars for a single piece and you must have the right space for it to look right.

Last edited:
I love Ikea. There may be lot of you hating it but for someone looking to make a place look modern, well designed and with high quality pieces good for two to four years it is perfect.

Obviously, I wouldnt buy a bed or couch at Ikea but pretty much everything else they sell I find reliable, and affordable. I dont need expensive lifetime (and super heavy) pieces at my age.

*just bought a kitchen island type thing for 30. It is glass, looks aweaome and functions well.

I would just look around your area. Usually the high quality modern items are sold by local furniture stores not the national chains (i.e. Rooms to Go, Ashley Furniture). I live in Houston and there are tons of places. Be forewarned, the modern "trendy" furniture that most of us see on Pinterest and tumblr are super expensive. A simple couch can cost 4-5k (see: cantoni.com). I just decided to go midway and recently bought a reclining leather loveseat for $2.5k. It's definitely steep, but I wanted real leather.

As for IKEA, they have a rep for having cheap furniture, but they also have more expensive modern items (see the Stockholm collection). For my bedroom, I purchased the Nyvoll set in medium brown. Really sturdy and great quality. Made in Italy, if you care about that sort of thing. Their mattresses are also good. I was surprised to see that their latex/memory foam mattresses received high ratings on sleeplikethedead.com. I bought the Myrbacka (approx. $500-600) which is a latex foam hybrid and it is great.

In the end you get what you pay for, but when it comes to modern furniture, if IKEA is out of the question, you'll have to do some research in your area to find items that are reasonably priced.

That's good to hear about the Nyvoll set... that's the one I was considering.

When I checked it out in store, it felt more solid than I expected. And I was thinking about medium brown too.

When I checked it out in store, it felt more solid than I expected. And I was thinking about medium brown too.
Yeah, I highly recommend it. Especially if you're looking for a bedframe. I wish it came in the gray/brown color that some of the Hemnes sets come in, but the medium brown is nice. Definitely better than the brown/black that Ikea uses for everything.

And although it may be a small and simple detail, I absolutely love how the end of the headboard is angled. Very well designed. When I sit against the headboard it lands flush against the wall. It works well for my place because there is a trim along the bottom of the walls (if the rear of the bed were straight, it would leave a gap that may cause issues with the assembly).

Not sure why more beds don't employ this design.

Yeah, I highly recommend it. Especially if you're looking for a bedframe. I wish it came in the gray/brown color that some of the Hemnes sets come in, but the medium brown is nice. Definitely better than the brown/black that Ikea uses for everything.

And although it may be a small and simple detail, I absolutely love how the end of the headboard is angled. Very well designed. When I sit against the headboard it lands flush against the wall. It works well for my place because there is a trim along the bottom of the walls (if the rear of the bed were straight, it would leave a gap that may cause issues with the assembly).

Not sure why more beds don't employ this design.

Brown/Black >> what ever color you prefer.

I like the frame, I have it in my room back at my parents house. The bed frame in my apartment is the Trysil. It also has a slanted headboard although opened up.

Finally upgraded to a 55" TV last month.

Holidays are my favorite time of year.

Happy New Year everyone.

Very nice setup. BTW, how do you like that coffee table? Looks like it has a retractable top. Info, price?

Also how did you route your cables to your TV?

Drilled holes through the wall to run the cables in the same day I went with wall mounting.

As far as the coffee table, it's on the west elm website, it's called Rustic Storage Coffee Table, believe it's around the $400 range

Believe painted canvas, actually bought them on Craigs list for $50 when someone had a moving sale. :lol: :pimp:

I used to have an area rug that matched, but maintaining it became annoying. I'm starting to like the all hardwood look.

Thanks Wes.... Console is from ikea, has two pull out drawers on each side for storage.

Back
Top Bottom