Assemblyman Dov Hikind Partied in Blackface Yesterday

[h1]Assemblyman Dov Hikind Partied in Blackface Yesterday[/h1]
2013-02-25_17-35-15.jpg

Dov Hikind is the ******* New York assemblyman representing District 48, a swath of concrete in Brooklyn that includes Midwood and Borough Park, a famous Orthodox Jewish enclave in the borough’s southwest quadrant. Hikind is an Orthodox Jew himself. To celebrate Purim this year, marking the deliverance of the Jewish people from extermination in ancient Persia, Hikind threw an elaborate costume party. Hikind’s wife dressed as a red-faced demon and his son painted a yin-yang symbol on his face, reportedly to look like an “angel.” And Hikind himself, the 62-year-old elected representative from one of the world’s most diverse cities? Why, he went as a basketball player, in Afro and blackface, of course.

Reports the Observer‘s Hunter Walker, Hikind had “a lot of fun” turning what could have been a totally innocent holiday party into a minstrel show:
“I was just, I think, I was trying to emulate, you know, maybe some of these basketball players. Someone gave me a uniform, someone gave me the hair of the actual, you know, sort of a black basketball player,” Mr. Hikind explained. “It was just a lot of fun. Everybody just had a very, very good time and every year I do something else. … The fun for me is when people come in and don’t recognize me.”
Hikind went on to say that his costume, which draws on centuries-old blackface performances designed to undergird white supremacy, was done “all just in good fun with respect.”

Despite the efforts of white folks who should know better, blackface has been unable to convey fun or respect for quite a while now. And Hikind’s career to this point has not been a particularly inspiring study in how to live with difference. Read more at Gawker

“I was just, I think, I was trying to emulate, you know, maybe some of these basketball players. Someone gave me a uniform, someone gave me the hair of the actual, you know, sort of a black basketball player,” Mr. Hikind explained. “It was just a lot of fun. Everybody just had a very, very good time and every year I do something else. … The fun for me is when people come in and don’t recognize me.”

Look at the bold portions of his response, son is full of ****.

Not surprised this has essentially been buried by the media. He screams anti Semite at every occasion but doesn't hesitate to be a racist as well. Not going to kill his career especially with his constituency (Hasids) who are horrible people from what I've experienced.

Like I always say in these kind of topics, I'm not shocked at all when ish like this happens. And people will find a way to excuse this because they always do.

I don't really think appearing in Blackface is really racist anymore. Hows the movie "White Chicks" not racist but this is?

If he was mocking Black culture that's a different story

I don't really think appearing in Blackface is really racist anymore. Hows the movie "White Chicks" not racist but this is?

If he was mocking Black culture that's a different story

Yea sure. Just like racism just up and disappeared a few years ago :rolleyes

If it was a random white guy who dressed as Dr J. Because he was his favorite player growing up, then I could maybe say it isn't a big deal

But an elected official? And it's not even a specific player? No way you can get away with that.

Any elected official should know better than ti put blackface on. That's it. Period. Can't do it.

But if a white guy wants to dress up for Halloween as lebron or Kobe, I don't think you can instantly accuse them of racism.

But knowing the history of blackface, I personally wouldn't do it.

Show me a side by side comparison of the history of whiteface and blackface.

Ding ding ding.

Why didn't you answer his question?

Try again bruh.

LOL blackface not being racist anymore LOL

Is Dave Chappelle dressing as a white man, emulating a white mans voice, and acting like a "stereotypical white guy" not racist?

Was him selling illegal leopard, wearing a sombrero, and yelling olé not racist?

Or is that different because he's black and had a comedy show?

I'm not saying dude is right but people are too quick to throw racist out there. The article is clearly using buzz words to influence how you're thinking. One dude in an afro is a minstrel show? Oh all right.

Last edited:

Dov Hikind is the ******* New York assemblyman representing District 48, a swath of concrete in Brooklyn that includes Midwood and Borough Park, a famous Orthodox Jewish enclave in the borough’s southwest quadrant. Hikind is an Orthodox Jew himself. To celebrate Purim this year, marking the deliverance of the Jewish people from extermination in ancient Persia, Hikind threw an elaborate costume party. Hikind’s wife dressed as a red-faced demon and his son painted a yin-yang symbol on his face, reportedly to look like an “angel.” And Hikind himself, the 62-year-old elected representative from one of the world’s most diverse cities? Why, he went as a basketball player, in Afro and blackface, of course.

Reports the Observer‘s Hunter Walker, Hikind had “a lot of fun” turning what could have been a totally innocent holiday party into a minstrel show:

Hikind went on to say that his costume, which draws on centuries-old blackface performances designed to undergird white supremacy, was done “all just in good fun with respect.”

Despite the efforts of white folks who should know better, blackface has been unable to convey fun or respect for quite a while now. And Hikind’s career to this point has not been a particularly inspiring study in how to live with difference. Read more at Gawker

The answer to his question is in the article. I don't recall a time when Black people dressed in whiteface to show their supremacy.

The answer to his question is in the article. I don't recall a time when Black people dressed in whiteface to show their supremacy.

Are you implying the guy wore black face to show superiority?

Or did he do it to look like a basketball player?

White or Hispanic face isn't racist... Why? Because some white dudes in the past did it to show superiority? But mocking another race is cool?

The question still was not answered, by the way. The way you guys are putting it, its looking like a double standard.

White guy, auto racist. Anyone else, satire. Is it not racist to automatically assume the white man has evil intentions?

Last edited:
A white elected official has no business participating in such actions. Period. Historically, this has had negative connotations, so of course he's going to get scrutinized for it.

Back
Top Bottom