Ask an Associate working in Private Equity on Wall Street anything

How do you feel about SolarCity's fundamentals? And Tesla for that matter. Seems like those tax credits Musk has gotten have added some unnecessary value to their stocks.

Sorry, Frank. This is not the type of question I want to answer in this thread.

There's a great stock market thread on page 1 where you can direct your question to. You'll get much more helpful info there than you would here.

Last edited:
I'm an engineering major. I want to get my MBA because I eventually want to be in a managers position. Yay or nay on the MBA

I'm an engineering major. I want to get my MBA because I eventually want to be in a managers position. Yay or nay on the MBA

I know plenty of engineers who went to business school. Most of them never went back to engineering after getting their MBA's though :lol:

It's actually very common to see people with engineering degrees and an MBA.

I'm basically using the MBA to help break the six figures range quicker and easier since a majority of engineers start off high and don't really grow.

I've always been interested in business and economics. I feel like the technical aspect combined with a business mindset is a deadly combo.

I'm basically using the MBA to help break the six figures range quicker and easier since a majority of engineers start off high and don't really grow.

I've always been interested in business and economics. I feel like the technical aspect combined with a business mindset is a deadly combo.

It is, but you have to understand that engineers with MBA's aren't so uncommon.

Unless you don't go to a top-tier MBA program--it'll be harder to break into that six-figure range than you think. I'm not sure if you want to break into Finance or not. So, i'm not sure what kind of advice I can give you.

It is, but you have to understand that engineers with MBA's aren't so uncommon.

Unless you don't go to a top-tier MBA program--it'll be harder to break into that six-figure range than you think. I'm not sure if you want to break into Finance or not. So, i'm not sure what kind of advice I can give you.

I've heard that going to a top tier school is important. What would you consider top tier? Top 10? Top 20?

Also, what are your thoughts on online MBA programs? Worth it?

Top tier is Ivys, Stanford, stern

Actually stern might be a tier lower but it's still a good degree and they have a lot of alums so it won't hold you back

Actually stern might be a tier lower but it's still a good degree and they have a lot of alums so it won't hold you back

Yup. Although an MBA is by no means a slamdunk route.

I actually know tons of Booth MBAs (seems like they grow on trees) who aren't doing anything special.

I've heard that going to a top tier school is important. What would you consider top tier? Top 10? Top 20?

Also, what are your thoughts on online MBA programs? Worth it?

Top tier would be Ivy league schools or any schools in the M7. You could look into Baruch as well and some other great State schools, but most banks want people from ivy's.

Do NOT get an online MBA. It's not reputable.

I actually know tons of Booth MBAs (seems like they grow on trees) who aren't doing anything special.

This is true. Again, it heavily depends on where you went to get your MBA and what you did during your time there. Some people treat it like undergrad and fail to reap many of the benefits b-school has to offer.

What kind of MBA did the people you know from Booth get? Booth is a VERY prestigious school and It's tough for me to believe there are a lot of people you know that aren't doing much with an MBA from Booth.

Stern is actually improving a lot more as the years go by. Many many firms and banks recruit heavily out of Stern now and it's quickly moving into the top-tier.

I've heard nothing but good things about Baruch. I know two people who got really good jobs straight out of there, one works for BlackRock and the other works for UBS I believe.

I don't plan on going into banking since I'm an engineering major. I just thought getting an MBA may help getting a managers position

I don't plan on going into banking since I'm an engineering major. I just thought getting an MBA may help getting a managers position

Most cases it does, but from what many of my engineering friends tell me (they work for companies like Con Edison, Sony, Kodak, MTA, Canon, Lockheed & Martin, Boeing, Microsoft etc) work experience means far more than credentials.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm bumping this thread because of all the PM's i've been getting. Sorry for the people whom I haven't responded to yet. I try to be as thorough and thoughtful as I can be when I reply to a PM. Work has just been piling up and I haven't found the time to get to them all yet. My Apologies.

Last edited:

are they part timers?

I just think full time matters a bit more. Same degree, bit the networking opportunities, on campus events etc are more...

I think the drive depends too... You gotta be hungry...

Stomach growling...

another question that I want to pose not only to Hank but all professionals in this thread.

How do you all feel about cold emailing?

are they part timers?

I just think full time matters a bit more. Same degree, bit the networking opportunities, on campus events etc are more...

I think the drive depends too... You gotta be hungry...

Stomach growling...

Depends on what program you're in. Part-time MBA in Stern, Columbia, Standford etc is pretty much the same as full-time. If anything, the positives of going part-time means you already have a job and in-line to get a promotion once you have your MBA. You can also still fully take advantage of the recruiting opportunities while going part-time.

another question that I want to pose not only to Hank but all professionals in this thread.

How do you all feel about cold emailing?

I HATE cold emailing, but I do know someone who got into BofA investment banking through cold-emailing. It was a 1/100000 shot, but he made the best of it.

I also know people who did some pretty creative things to get their resume looked at seriously and got job offers in IB through it.

People cold-email me all the time. I dislike it, but I do get some creative people here and there sometime. I usually give those people a second look.

Last edited:
I graduated in 2011 with a degree in English. Recently I've thought about taking a chance and getting into finance, particularly trading stocks. What's the best way for me to go about this and get sponsored for my series 7? Is the degree that necessary?

what are sum tips and guidance in looking for investors to start up a business from scratch

i want to start up a business but dont know where to look for investors 

I last posted in this thread December 13...

I am now a private equity analyst.

:pimp: :pimp:

Truly a stroke of luck... I'm not as polished as hank so I might be a bit more relatable than he was. :lol:

Dude was a semi savant

Back
Top Bottom