Ask a Jehovah's Witness Vol. Who's that at my door?

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

JWs, I see that you base everything off of scriptures... well is it really proven that scripture is correct and divine? Because the Bible was written by humans - The Old T was written sometimes thousands of years after the events "happened" and the New Test. was written by NO eyewitnesses to Jesus' miracles... just guys that were students of the apostles. Also the bible endured several translations, so I'm assuming much had to be lost through that. Do you think Noah's Ark really physically happened? Or the burning bush, or Jonah and the whale?
Also... what is your success rate? Like out of all the doors that you knock on, how many actually express interest in converting to your religion?
We believe that it is so.

When I started to study I asked the same question. I wondered if the bible was just a fantasy novel or a book that had prophecies that were fulfilled. After I did serious research and study I was able to come to the conclusion that the Bible is a book that is inspired by God.

The Hebrew scriptures (or Old Testament) were written by various men who lived around that period of time. For example Moses wrote the book of Exodus.

Also the books of the Gospels were written by the apostles . The books are named after the some of the 12 disciples i.e. Matthew, John, Luke; these men were there when Jesus walked the earth.

Yes we do believe in every account in the Bible. For a book this old to still be around, to be the most distributed book in the history of mankind, from it's historical accuracy, the geographic and geologic accuracy, how practical it is, the scientific accuracy, and it's candor of the bible writers in my opinion it has to be fact.

Originally Posted by chrisl5mavs

JWs, I see that you base everything off of scriptures... well is it really proven that scripture is correct and divine? Because the Bible was written by humans - The Old T was written sometimes thousands of years after the events "happened" and the New Test. was written by NO eyewitnesses to Jesus' miracles... just guys that were students of the apostles. Also the bible endured several translations, so I'm assuming much had to be lost through that. Do you think Noah's Ark really physically happened? Or the burning bush, or Jonah and the whale?
Also... what is your success rate? Like out of all the doors that you knock on, how many actually express interest in converting to your religion?
lol.. yeah, thats where I personally have had the big doubts in terms of my faith.. I've brought up these very points in conversations with Congregation elders and I haven't received an answer that I consider myself to be adequate, but keep in mind, thats just me..
However, other christian religions also believe these things to be fact, so you can't really bring this point up as "ZOMG THEY BELIEVE JONAH AND THE WHALEZ?!", when most major christian religions and sects also consider these to be true.   Jehovah's Witnesses believe these things to be true, and they believe that the bible is the correct and divine inspired word of god. 
now... Council of Nicaea 1215, i know, i know.. KJV, i know i know..
the bible that the JW religion uses is the "New Translation of the Holy Scriptures" a translation that to my knowledge, was made in house by Witnesses themselves in order to have a version of the bible that is as close and correct to the original scrolls and tablets as possible.

Success rate? honestly it depends, preaching is highly organized, down to the street blocks, records are kept so that the visits are as spaced out as possible... you might get a good success rate in an apt complex you havent visited in a while, or a bad success rate in one that is visited every other month or so... i will say this: most people who listen once will be receptive to a return visit in which the actual seed is put down in terms of a bible study or a visit to the kingdom hall, from there it's up to the person whether or not they would like to continue.  there's a significant majority of people who don't even open their doors in the first place, and I myself while on the preaching work got a door slammed in my face.. i was around 7 or 8 years old at the time.

See your inbox

Originally Posted by chrisl5mavs

lol.. yeah, thats where I personally have had the big doubts in terms of my faith.. I've brought up these very points in conversations with Congregation elders and I haven't received an answer that I consider myself to be adequate, but keep in mind, thats just me..
However, other christian religions also believe these things to be fact, so you can't really bring this point up as "ZOMG THEY BELIEVE JONAH AND THE WHALEZ?!", when most major christian religions and sects also consider these to be true.   Jehovah's Witnesses believe these things to be true, and they believe that the bible is the correct and divine inspired word of god. 
now... Council of Nicaea 1215, i know, i know.. KJV, i know i know..
the bible that the JW religion uses is the "New Translation of the Holy Scriptures" a translation that to my knowledge, was made in house by Witnesses themselves in order to have a version of the bible that is as close and correct to the original scrolls and tablets as possible.

Success rate? honestly it depends, preaching is highly organized, down to the street blocks, records are kept so that the visits are as spaced out as possible... you might get a good success rate in an apt complex you havent visited in a while, or a bad success rate in one that is visited every other month or so... i will say this: most people who listen once will be receptive to a return visit in which the actual seed is put down in terms of a bible study or a visit to the kingdom hall, from there it's up to the person whether or not they would like to continue.  there's a significant majority of people who don't even open their doors in the first place, and I myself while on the preaching work got a door slammed in my face.. i was around 7 or 8 years old at the time.

See your inbox

Originally Posted by The Notorious Bum

Where in the bible does it say you can come on my private property and knock on my door, bother me, to try to influence me on something I could give two craps about.?
If there are some witnesses at your door just tell them you aren't interested and never will be. They should not be back at your door for a few years.

Where in the bible does it say you can come on my private property and knock on my door, bother me, to try to influence me on something I could give two craps about.?
If there are some witnesses at your door just tell them you aren't interested and never will be. They should not be back at your door for a few years.

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Originally Posted by retrospect90

Do you know who rules the world?
we believe satan rules the world, and thats why things are deteriorating as time progresses. eventually though he will be done away with
I think you knew I knew the answer
laugh.gif
They asked me this (and different ppl kept asking) when I was walking home and the first time I said humans. They gave me the devil talk and I told them he doesn't exist and if he did, he's doing a piss poor job of destroying human civilization
laugh.gif
Cuz if I had his powers there would've been a nuclear holocaust. Lady looked at me crazy.

2nd time these old ladies asked I hit him with the math of the day. I told her GOD rules the world and then they said the Devil and I was like you don't get it, I'm GOD. I told them I was out fighting the good battle for my old earth and that they should be happy they got to meet me.

I walked away with a smile and good laugh those days.
roll.gif
He could do that but that would be too easy. There is a deeper reason for why he doesn't eradicate mankind...

Originally Posted by retrospect90

Do you know who rules the world?
we believe satan rules the world, and thats why things are deteriorating as time progresses. eventually though he will be done away with
I think you knew I knew the answer
laugh.gif
They asked me this (and different ppl kept asking) when I was walking home and the first time I said humans. They gave me the devil talk and I told them he doesn't exist and if he did, he's doing a piss poor job of destroying human civilization
laugh.gif
Cuz if I had his powers there would've been a nuclear holocaust. Lady looked at me crazy.

2nd time these old ladies asked I hit him with the math of the day. I told her GOD rules the world and then they said the Devil and I was like you don't get it, I'm GOD. I told them I was out fighting the good battle for my old earth and that they should be happy they got to meet me.

I walked away with a smile and good laugh those days.
roll.gif
He could do that but that would be too easy. There is a deeper reason for why he doesn't eradicate mankind...

Originally Posted by EvansST

For a book this old to still be around, to be the most distributed book in the history of mankind, from it's historical accuracy, the geographic and geologic accuracy, how practical it is, the scientific accuracy, and it's candor of the bible writers in my opinion it has to be fact.
grin.gif

[h2]Leviticus 14:1-32 (New American Standard Bible)[/h2][h4]Leviticus 14[/h4][h5]Law of Cleansing a Leper[/h5] [sup]1[/sup]Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
 [sup]2[/sup]"This shall be the law of the leper in the day of his cleansing. [sup](A)[/sup]Now he shall be brought to the priest,

[sup]3[/sup]and the priest shall go [sup](B)[/sup]out to the outside of the camp. Thus the priest shall look, and if the infection of leprosy has been healed in the leper,

[sup]4[/sup]then the priest shall give orders to take two live clean birds and [sup](C)[/sup]cedar wood and a scarlet string and hyssop for the one who is to be cleansed.

[sup]5[/sup]"The priest shall also give orders to slay the one bird in an earthenware vessel over running water.

[sup]6[/sup]"As for the live bird, he shall take it together with [sup]</a>)">(http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus 14:1-32;&version=NASB;#cen-NASB-3118D)[/sup]the cedar wood and the scarlet string and the [sup](E)[/sup]hyssop, and shall dip them and the live bird in the blood of the bird that was slain over the running water.

[sup]7[/sup]"[sup](F)[/sup]He shall then sprinkle seven times the one who is to be cleansed from the leprosy and shall pronounce him clean, and shall let the live bird go free over the open field.

Sounds like some hocus pocus type stuff, but you do you though. Whatever makes you a better person.

For a book this old to still be around, to be the most distributed book in the history of mankind, from it's historical accuracy, the geographic and geologic accuracy, how practical it is, the scientific accuracy, and it's candor of the bible writers in my opinion it has to be fact.
grin.gif

[h2]Leviticus 14:1-32 (New American Standard Bible)[/h2][h4]Leviticus 14[/h4][h5]Law of Cleansing a Leper[/h5] [sup]1[/sup]Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
 [sup]2[/sup]"This shall be the law of the leper in the day of his cleansing. [sup](A)[/sup]Now he shall be brought to the priest,

[sup]3[/sup]and the priest shall go [sup](B)[/sup]out to the outside of the camp. Thus the priest shall look, and if the infection of leprosy has been healed in the leper,

[sup]4[/sup]then the priest shall give orders to take two live clean birds and [sup](C)[/sup]cedar wood and a scarlet string and hyssop for the one who is to be cleansed.

[sup]5[/sup]"The priest shall also give orders to slay the one bird in an earthenware vessel over running water.

[sup]6[/sup]"As for the live bird, he shall take it together with [sup]</a>)">(http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus 14:1-32;&version=NASB;#cen-NASB-3118D)[/sup]the cedar wood and the scarlet string and the [sup](E)[/sup]hyssop, and shall dip them and the live bird in the blood of the bird that was slain over the running water.

[sup]7[/sup]"[sup](F)[/sup]He shall then sprinkle seven times the one who is to be cleansed from the leprosy and shall pronounce him clean, and shall let the live bird go free over the open field.

Sounds like some hocus pocus type stuff, but you do you though. Whatever makes you a better person.

Originally Posted by SaintVitus07

grin.gif

[sup]6[/sup]"As for the live bird, he shall take it together with [sup]</a>)">( )[/sup]the cedar wood and the scarlet string and the [sup](E)[/sup]hyssop, and shall dip them and the live bird in the blood of the bird that was slain over the running water.

This was just describing how people with leprosy could be made clean in the eyes of Jehovah.

There are many accounts in the bible that shows that a supernatural force had maneuvered someone or something from harm etc. But there are also scriptures that have a bit of science too before the great minds of mankind even discovered them.

I'm not saying that the bible is a physics textbook but there are scriptures that show that the bible is accurate in science.

For example:

Centuries before Columbus discovered it...

Isa: 40:22- There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth...

Before Apollo and others knew

Job: 26:7- He is stretching out the north over the empty place,
Hanging the earth upon nothing...

There are several more but these two are proven scientific fact and been in the bible centuries before Newton or Apollo even existed.

Originally Posted by SaintVitus07

grin.gif

[sup]6[/sup]"As for the live bird, he shall take it together with [sup]</a>)">( )[/sup]the cedar wood and the scarlet string and the [sup](E)[/sup]hyssop, and shall dip them and the live bird in the blood of the bird that was slain over the running water.

This was just describing how people with leprosy could be made clean in the eyes of Jehovah.

There are many accounts in the bible that shows that a supernatural force had maneuvered someone or something from harm etc. But there are also scriptures that have a bit of science too before the great minds of mankind even discovered them.

I'm not saying that the bible is a physics textbook but there are scriptures that show that the bible is accurate in science.

For example:

There are several more but these two are proven scientific fact and been in the bible centuries before Newton or Apollo even existed.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I'll give Jehovah Witnesses one thing, they have more knowledge of the bible than most Christians.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I'll give Jehovah Witnesses one thing, they have more knowledge of the bible than most Christians.

Or you can do what I do and knock back. It works every time. I have no respect for anybody interrupting my privacy.

Or you can do what I do and knock back. It works every time. I have no respect for anybody interrupting my privacy.

For example:

You are picking and choosing passages while ignoring others. The Bible also refers to the "four corners of the earth." It wasn't until 300 A.D. that most Christians adopted the Hellenistic view of the earth as being spherical.

For example:

You are picking and choosing passages while ignoring others. The Bible also refers to the "four corners of the earth." It wasn't until 300 A.D. that most Christians adopted the Hellenistic view of the earth as being spherical.

When I started to study I asked the same question. I wondered if the bible was just a fantasy novel or a book that had prophecies that were fulfilled. After I did serious research and study I was able to come to the conclusion that the Bible is a book that is inspired by God.

The Hebrew scriptures (or Old Testament) were written by various men who lived around that period of time. For example Moses wrote the book of Exodus.

Also the books of the Gospels were written by the apostles . The books are named after the some of the 12 disciples i.e. Matthew, John, Luke; these men were there when Jesus walked the earth.

Yes we do believe in every account in the Bible. For a book this old to still be around, to be the most distributed book in the history of mankind, from it's historical accuracy, the geographic and geologic accuracy, how practical it is, the scientific accuracy, and it's candor of the bible writers in my opinion it has to be fact.

Exodus... man, there's some wild %+$% going on in that one. How is God a warmonger in one book and a loving and peaceful god in the next? Like this stuff right here doesn't sound too "all-forgiving":
"God instructs Moses to appear before the pharaoh and inform him of God's demand that he let God's people go. Moses and his brother Aaron do so, but pharaoh refuses. God causes a series of ten plagues to strike Egypt, but whenever pharaoh begins to relent God "hardens his heart". God instructs Moses to institute the Passover sacrifice among the Israelites, and kills all the firstborn children and livestock throughout Egypt."

or

"Aaron makes a golden calf, which the people worship. God informs Moses of their apostasy and threatens to kill them all"

People today worship endless false idols, but no one's getting killed with a lightening bolt over it... I've always thought that all of this doom and gloom talk was just a tactic to scare the more primitive people into acting right. We haven't heard from God "publicly" since the Bible... I'm assuming that someone made all of that up.

Exodus... man, there's some wild %+$% going on in that one. How is God a warmonger in one book and a loving and peaceful god in the next? Like this stuff right here doesn't sound too "all-forgiving":
"God instructs Moses to appear before the pharaoh and inform him of God's demand that he let God's people go. Moses and his brother Aaron do so, but pharaoh refuses. God causes a series of ten plagues to strike Egypt, but whenever pharaoh begins to relent God "hardens his heart". God instructs Moses to institute the Passover sacrifice among the Israelites, and kills all the firstborn children and livestock throughout Egypt."

or

"Aaron makes a golden calf, which the people worship. God informs Moses of their apostasy and threatens to kill them all"

People today worship endless false idols, but no one's getting killed with a lightening bolt over it... I've always thought that all of this doom and gloom talk was just a tactic to scare the more primitive people into acting right. We haven't heard from God "publicly" since the Bible... I'm assuming that someone made all of that up.

Back
Top Bottom