Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Ya'll been keeping up with 88rising?
It's like Asian Vice/Noisey type of stuff. Pretty dope giving Asians a space to be the creatives. :smokin

1. Japanese & Chinese
2. Thai
3. Korean
4. Vietnamese
5. Filipino

I'm full Filipino American by the way. I love my culture and people :smokin

Ya'll been keeping up with 88rising?
It's like Asian Vice/Noisey type of stuff. Pretty dope giving Asians a space to be the creatives.
smokin.gif
The video I posted up there is from them. They're dope, pushing the culture.

I had dinner with my parents recently and they told me about a bunch of our culture's "superstitions":

These sound ridiculous, but I keep note of these in the back of my mind and have seen them pan out among my friends/family. Just some food for thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) If your husband/wife has high/higher cheekbones than you, it's more likely that you'll die first.

2) In our culture's astrology, every birth year has an associated animal and an inherent female/male complex. For example, if you were born in 1991, your animal would be a goat, which is viewed as feminine. So if you're a guy, it'd mean you'd probably be a more feminine type of guy. The goal is to have an animal match correctly to the gender. The astrology follows that each animal is alternating in the female/male complex (goat = female // monkey = male // chicken = female, etc.).

3) In that vein, if you're a guy with a goat animal zodiac (feminine), you'd most likely marry a chick who is the opposite (masculine animal).

4) Also, it's "bad luck" to marry someone who is an odd number of years (1, 3, 5, 7) from your age. The really sweet spot is to marry someone who's 4 or 8 years from your age (preferably, a guy marrying younger). I'm 24 now, so according to this, it'd be best for me to marry a chick who's 4 or 8 years younger than me. Since I'm not a pedo, I don't think a 16yo chick would work for me. 
laugh.gif

5) Physical signs that are viewed as favorable are:

a) No gummy smiles (goal = big smile with no gums showing) -- If you have a gummy smile, the belief is that you're most likely poor and/or will end up poor. Also, a gummy smile is genetic and is passed down to your kids.

b) Nice and chunky bottoms of your ear lobes -- Trace your ear lobes to the bottom. If you have "meat" on the bottom that you can pull and stretch, this is seen as future prosperity/wealth.

c) Big nostrils = no $$$ -- If you have big nostrils that can be seen from straight-on (your head straight and looking forward), it means money most likely flows out of your life (you're prone to spend your $$$ frivolously).

Last edited:
Didn't know batoon was Filipino. She probably tastes better than the adobo she made.

Man I have been noticing lately that white people have been trying to bastardize Vietnamese food

http://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-you-should-eating-pho?mbid=social_twitter

On the link up, the chef says that no one should put hoisin or sirarcha in a pho broth. This fool.
I taste the broth first and add Sriracha/Hoisin accordingly.

That bowl of pho has hardly any soup in it. And why is that soup so damn clear/see-through? It should have beads of yellow fat in it (from the chicken bones/skin used to flavor the broth).

And nobody uses that stupid chopstick "trick."

Last edited:
Man I have been noticing lately that white people have been trying to bastardize Vietnamese food

http://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-you-should-eating-pho?mbid=social_twitter

On the link up, the chef says that no one should put hoisin or sirarcha in a pho broth. This fool.

I taste the broth first and add Sriracha/Hoisin accordingly.

That bowl of pho has hardly any soup in it. And why is that soup so damn clear/see-through? It should have beads of yellow fat in it (from the chicken bones/skin used to flavor the broth).

And nobody uses that stupid chopstick "trick."
I bet the chef just looked up the recipes online and never really tried a bowl of pho from an authentic joint
And if the dude been to a Lil Saigon, I'm still gonna hate on his cooking style :lol:

^ Dude sounds super pretentious about it too. My moms would wash him for that nonsense he was talking on our cuisine.

laugh.gif

The other dishes aren't even Vietnamese either. Curry soup with cabbage on it? FOH

Last edited:
^ Dude sounds super pretentious about it too. My moms would wash him for that nonsense he was talking on our cuisine.

:lol:  

The other dishes aren't even Vietnamese either. Curry soup with cabbage on it? FOH
:rofl:
It's how these hipsters roll mane :smh:
I bet he's charging $12 for that bowl. I can get a bowl like that for $6-7 at Westminster with the tripe and tendon. Add meatballs for an extra $1. Damn I haven't ate pho in a while.

I dont put any sauce in the bowl, i put siracha and hoisin in a dish and put chili oil and lemon juice on top of that then use a spoon to pour that mix onto the noodles. I just like to keep the broth fairly clean for drinking.

feel likes it's all preference really.

I dont put any sauce in the bowl, i put siracha and hoisin in a dish and put chili oil and lemon juice on top of that then use a spoon to pour that mix onto the noodles. I just like to keep the broth fairly clean for drinking.

See how you said it is fine.

But its how the chef was like "All chefs don't like it when you add the sirarcha and hoisin sauce"
Like really dawg? Why the pho joints out here in Cali have the sauces at the table then? They know some people like to add the additional sauces.
If the news people wanted to get to know Vietnamese food culture, they shouldn't go to some pretentious hipster place in Pennsylvania.
I'm actually getting more riled up as I type :lol:

But its how the chef was like "All chefs don't like it when you add the sirarcha and hoisin sauce"
Like really dawg? Why the pho joints out here in Cali have the sauces at the table then? They know some people like to add the additional sauces.
If the news people wanted to get to know Vietnamese food culture, they shouldn't go to some pretentious hipster place in Pennsylvania.

haha, i feel you...but in the chef's defense, he is speaking as someone who labored to conceive of & make the food a specific way; all he is saying is saying is give his food the taste test before deciding to alter it, he isn't against the sauces, he was reaching with the all he should just said himself, but some people do feel some type of way about things like that...i'm still tossing in that sriracha or pepper oil off the rip because i want that kick!

haha, i feel you...but in the chef's defense, he is speaking as someone who labored to conceive of & make the food a specific way; all he is saying is saying is give his food the taste test before deciding to alter it, he isn't against the sauces, he was reaching with the all he should just said himself, but some people do feel some type of way about things like that...i'm still tossing in that sriracha or pepper oil off the rip because i want that kick!
I see what you mean.....but to be honest, he still overstepped his boundaries giving this interview on Vietnamese food. He ain't no damn spokesman on how to eat pho. Came off sounding like Rachel Dolezal representing the NAACP
And I looked at the menu, dude had a regular bowl of pho ga for $10 and a mixture of Thai and other Asian food on his menu
Banh mi was $10 too :x

I know what you guys mean, I'm just sick of the Christopher Columbuses claiming they know an ethnic cuisine they didn't grow up with and they probably only knew because they got drunk off crappy beer and hit up a cheap spot and thought to themselves, " I can make money off this inserting a couple "high quality" white food substitutes"

And btw I don't hate other different races making different ethnic food, it's great to have different palettes
I just don't wanna hear the snooty condenseding behavior and acting like what they are making is accurate unless they been approved by the people that grew up with the culture. Which I doubt because most of the Yelp reviews come from white people for that place.

So I wasn't entirely wrong about that bland looking broth --
Gross, gross, gross. Offensive to someone who grew up eating AUTHENTIC pho (two decades of being Cambodian) and then arrived to this place to have some privileged yuppy tell me how to eat MY pho. Imagine walking into an Ethiopian restaurant and being really excited but then you realized that the owner is white and from America and sees himself as an expert in all things Ethiopian food..... Please support local communities who have an actual connection with the culture of Southeast Asia and not someone profiting off of their culture. There are plenty of Vietnamese and Cambodian shop owners who would love to have you!

Anyways, food is not what I expected if you're used to genuine Asian dishes... Skip out! This is more like expensive take-out except I wasn't drunk enough to eat it.
This Christopher Columbus *** place. This isn't real pho it doesn't have a number in the name. If you want the realness you need to head down south. Don't accept imitations and appropriated nonsense. This is bro pho. Street Side is better than this.
I don't have much say in this place, because I've never been. But after seeing a Bon Appetite "tutorial" video on how to correctly eat pho, I was turned off. The tone and the way the chef explained pho kind of ruined a quintessential dish in my life. And with all the other comments on here, it looks like a lot of people who grew up with this dish feel the same. There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone of a different ethnicity to cook different dishes, but not when they start to dictate how it should taste or be eaten. That's when you turn off the people who grew up loving this dish, and give others the wrong experience and impression of something that's supposedly "authentic."
This place really takes something authentic and put's a horrible twist on it. Some things are best left untouched. The pho here is probably the blandest I've ever had, especially with the price they charge. Just go to an actual Vietnamese restaurant for Vietnamese food..?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom